SASS Wire Forum

Not sure what to call this...

Dantankerous

Yup. I brought this home from grocery store. Unknowingly.  Shucked it and started laughing...

20210621_173559.jpg

No matter what it is, it doesn't look fresh, at all.

You got taken twice. First because of the interesting defect and secondly because that is field corn or a hybrid of field and sweet corn. Sweet corn kernels shouldn't have dents in them. Field corn does.

Several years ago we were having issues where people would go out at night and pick the ears off of field corn and then sell it at a road side stand or flea market as sweet corn. Go so bad that some farms were loosing acres worth of field corn over night.  

Farmers finally got the local LEOs to do something when it was reported that one of the fields they had raided had just been sprayed with pesticide. By the end of the day a multi-jurisdiction task force was formed and the next day it was announced that over 2 dozen people had been arrested as part of an organized crime ring that was stealing produce off of trucks at truck stops then reselling it  Seems they were also stealing field corn for resale as well.

22 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You got taken twice. First because of the interesting defect and secondly because that is field corn or a hybrid of field and sweet corn. Sweet corn kernels shouldn't have dents in them. Field corn does.

Several years ago we were having issues where people would go out at night and pick the ears off of field corn and then sell it at a road side stand or flea market as sweet corn. Go so bad that some farms were loosing acres worth of field corn over night.  

Farmers finally got the local LEOs to do something when it was reported that one of the fields they had raided had just been sprayed with pesticide. By the end of the day a multi-jurisdiction task force was formed and the next day it was announced that over 2 dozen people had been arrested as part of an organized crime ring that was stealing produce off of trucks at truck stops then reselling it  Seems they were also stealing field corn for resale as well.

I thought that looked like feed corn. 
image.thumb.jpeg.65ef107e4d9ab4437e1b7f9eb985c3b7.jpeg

When I was a teenager me and some friends decided to steal us some sweet corn from a farm near town. The one and only time we ever did that and the farmer caught us. :lol:
We decided we were only going to take about a dozen or so ears for roasting on a weekend fishing trip. 
3 of us went into the field and my buddy Brent stood watch at the car. 
Mr Farmer and his 12 gauge took us by surprise. Let me tell you 2 rounds of 12 gauge fired in your general direction on a very quiet summer night will get your attention. :D

He had us put the corn we took on his porch and then he set us free. 
Apparently this happened a lot at his farm. It was a shame the man had to stand watch on his livelihood. We never did that again. 

58 minutes ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

knows what it looks like and since I  don't want to get banned from wire again ... not typing any more 

There are two stores in my county that probably sell things that look like that.

Never been in either of those stores, but everyone knows them as landmarks.

What I find interesting about the stores is there is almost never a car in the parking lot of the store that has parking out front. The other store has parking in the rear where it can not be seen from the road, and I think that might make that location more successful.

So Pat, at one time you were a corn rustler.

Glad you learned the error of your ways.

tenor.gif

Archived