SASS Wire Forum

When to take down Christmas lights?

Greasy Mike’s cafe close to the old downtown YMCA in Pueblo, Colorado kept his 3-foot Charlie Brown Christmas Tree lighted up in his window facing Main Street year ‘round.  Didn’t hurt his business any and everybody thought it was pretty cool!  :D

SWMBO has taken the tree and inflatables down. Tree wasn't much of an effort, at three feet and sitting on the dining area table, not much of a challenge. She still has some stuff out on the deck yet. I took the tree down in the club house yesterday as well as the spotlights around the office.:blush:

I just love the yearly predictable news cycles:

July 4th: people blowing their fingers off or burning down their neighbors' houses.

October 31st: people wandering the streets Trick or Treating getting run over.

December: people getting into fistfights or shootings at the shopping mall.

January 1st: drunk drivers causing mayhem at midnight.

February-March: houses burning down thanks to dry, brown Christmas trees catching fire.

My wife puts a lot of effort into her Christmas decorations. Her mom died on Christmas Day in 2004. It was a couple years before she decorated again. She leaves them up until her birthday Feb 3rd. I never say a word. 

B7B49B94-509F-489F-A3BF-4AEE054C102D.jpeg

3 hours ago, Laramie said:

The twelve days of Christmas starts on Christmas Day.. just ask my w:wacko:ife 

Of course they do.

The shepherds arrived Christmas day to see the new baby. The three wise men were still on the road. They got there twelve days later.

The twelve days of Christmas run from the 25th - Christmas

- to the 6th - Three Kings Day.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphany_(holiday)

1 hour ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

leaves them up until her birthday Feb 3rd. I never say a word. 

Candlemas (Feb. 2), which is also known as the Feast of the Presentation of Our Lord in the Temple, is the end of the Christmas season.  Many people used to leave the decorations up until then.  A good custom, although my wife and I usually take them down at Theophany.

42 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I set my foot down and told my wife most firmly, I'll take them down when you tell me to!!  And not before. -_-

Wise Man! :D

51 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I set my foot down and told my wife most firmly, I'll take them down when you tell me to!!  And not before. -_-

You are a pretty assertive kind of guy, Birdgun. 

4 hours ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

My wife puts a lot of effort into her Christmas decorations. Her mom died on Christmas Day in 2004. It was a couple years before she decorated again. She leaves them up until her birthday Feb 3rd. I never say a word. 

B7B49B94-509F-489F-A3BF-4AEE054C102D.jpeg

Very nice. I’d leave it up too!!

I was a working paramedic in southeast (Appalachian) Ohio, where directions are generally convoluted and confusing especially if you're an outsider.

Fay Iver Ridge is also known as Cornstill Road, and also as a numbered county road: a native will know this, an auslander won't.

Calls went in to Gallipolis, which dispatched for the seven county system; that dispatcher could not have the native's intimate knowledge of the area.

It was not uncommon for Dispatch to tell a caller to throw a bedsheet over their mailbox.

Kind of hard to miss a mailbox dressed like a Halloween spook.

Generally the caller, after dark, would say "I'll have the porch light on."

Thanks, folks, but so does everyone else in the county.

The one that made life much, much easier was the caller who said "I'll have my Christmas lights on."

It was the middle of July.

Everyone and their uncle might have their porch lights on but there's only one trailer in the holler that has Christmas lights lit!

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:12 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Candlemas (Feb. 2), which is also known as the Feast of the Presentation of Our Lord in the Temple, is the end of the Christmas season.  Many people used to leave the decorations up until then.  A good custom, although my wife and I usually take them down at Theophany.

February 2 is also Groundhog Day.  That's the day to take down Christmas lights in Punxsutawney.

I don’t put any outside lights up. Hardly anyone out here to see em except for 4 legged types and they are not impressed. :D

Well, the weather forecast calls for rain starting tomorrow afternoon and continuing for several days.  

TONIGHT

JAN 3
Cloudy
--35°
0%
ENE 4 mph 75%
FRI

JAN 4
Cloudy
56°44°
0%
ESE 7 mph 64%
SAT

JAN 5
Rain/Wind
52°40°
100%
SSW 23 mph 89%
SUN

JAN 6
Rain
53°47°
100%
S 12 mph 86%
MON

JAN 7
Rain
56°49°
80%
S 9 mph 89%
TUE

JAN 8
PM Rain
56°46°
70%
SSE 13 mph 82%

well, the Weather Underground forecast shows it starting tomorrow afternoon, anyway.  With some significant amounts of rain.  So we decided that it would be prudent to get them down today.  Lisa managed to get all the lights in this afternoon.  Get them put away Saturday.

image.png

image.png

Archived