SASS Wire Forum

Another store stops selling Assault Rifles & more

So it turns out that 5a96b2a747432_DicksSportingGoods.JPG.6ad8728d7e3774d4a63cbcb1aa21c99e.JPG has made the decision to stop selling Assault style rifles (semiautomatic), along with high capacity magazines.

Doesn't stop there. Apparently they will refuse to sell to anyone under the age of 21 regardless.

They will; however, continue to sell semiautomatic pistols.

5a96b328eb901_Confused-RESIZED.jpg.526591bf47962da0f327af4dd4c747eb.jpg

Why do so many folks, such as Dick's and even conservative media,. continue to use the term "Assault" when referring to the AR-15 type semi-automatic sporting rifles? I can understand the anti's wanting to scream it from the roof tops so as to instill fear and loathing in the uneducated, but I am amazed at the number of pro-gun, pro-2nd groups that use the term as well. Father Kit I mean no offense to you, it just got me to thinking.  Probably read too many of Alpo's questions! :lol:

Howdy,

Assault is a trick emotional term that means whatever the speaker wants.

I once asked a goodfriend  who  was a carrier police sergeant and he said

almost anything can be considered a weapon.

If you have a ball point pen in your pocket, somehow it could

be used to kill a man.  

So if it's black, is it an assault pen?

Best

CR

16 minutes ago, Clay Mosby said:

Why do so many folks, such as Dick's and even conservative media,. continue to use the term "Assault" when referring to the AR-15 type semi-automatic sporting rifles? I can understand the anti's wanting to scream it from the roof tops so as to instill fear and loathing in the uneducated, but I am amazed at the number of pro-gun, pro-2nd groups that use the term as well. Father Kit I mean no offense to you, it just got me to thinking.  Probably read too many of Alpo's questions! :lol:

Clay:

Obviously, none taken, as I was just quoting what was in the statement.

The following is probably the best article I have read regarding the misuse of the word "Assault".

http://danaloeschradio.com/news/caution-when-taking-on-the-language-of-the-left-in-the-gun-control-debate/

I never thought that Dick's Sporting Goods had much of a selection of "assault" weapons (there you go just agitating) in the first place. There are two Dick's Sporting Goods near my area and I always thought both failed pretty egregiously in the general firearms area to begin with. Fantastic for North Face clothing and other high-end uppity outdoors wear but as far as firearms are concerned generally we are better off going anywhere else in the first place. No big loss but for the fact some might consider it a nail in the AR-15 coffin. I do not.

The AR in AR-15 stands for “Armalite Rifle.”  ArmaLite is the company that originated the design for the AR style of rifle back in the 1950s.  

If Armalite had a DeLorean equipped with a Flux Capacitor, and could have traveled to the future, they might have thought twice about calling it an AR.

22 minutes ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

The AR in AR-15 stands for “Armalite Rifle.”  ArmaLite is the company that originated the design for the AR style of rifle back in the 1950s.  

If Armalite had a DeLorean equipped with a Flux Capacitor, and could have traveled to the future, they might have thought twice about calling it an AR.

Pertaining to your first paragraph, facts don't matter. You should know this by now.;)

Pertaining to your second paragraph, lol!  :D One of the best fiction movies to come out of the 1980s. You've now got me trying to figure out how to make Mr. Fusion work on a portable nuclear assault weapon. ( All in the name of scientific exploration only). Are tactical vest manufacturers going to have to make a banana peel pouch now?

I'm sure THAT got me on a list somwhere.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Pertaining to your first paragraph, facts don't matter. You should know this by now.;)

Pertaining to your second paragraph, lol!  :D One of the best fiction movies to come out of the 1980s. You've now got me trying to figure out how to make Mr. Fusion work on a portable nuclear assault weapon. ( All in the name of scientific exploration only). Are tactical vest manufacturers going to have to make a banana peel pouch now?

I'm sure THAT got me on a list somwhere.

Dantankerous:

Don't worry about it, I think. oops.JPG.a4b41fa7840d19b08c035ffab14d38e5.JPG

5a96df24e71de_Dantankerous.JPG-FBIFINAL.thumb.jpg.1a6ad5082f37ab4e038aa2f18681a2e5.jpg

Maybe if they come out to the next match we can get a few new members ^_^

The last time I was at Dick's Sporting Goods I do remember seeing a plethora of pump shotguns including the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 series.

Since both of those are issued by the military and both of those have seen real combat time both of these pump shotguns qualify as assault weapons, in military terms, do they not? Whereas the AR-15 has never seen combat nor been issued by the military.

Since truth matters I wonder if this would make their heads spin?

6 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Old news; they put out an identical press release after Sandy Hook.

Yes they did but obviously sometime later resumed selling AR-15s. I guess when the heat was off the sales opportunity was more important than their moral outrage. More disturbing to me was their statement calling for legislative action with all the talking points being pushed by the anti-gun crowd. With that they have lost my business. 

This is my local gun shop. They advertise as being the politically incorrect gun store. Take the virtual tour and note the signage. With these guys who needs Dicks                                        https://www.altrafirearms.com/#tourFacility

It applies to Dick's Sporting Goods which had already stopped selling AR-15 rifles and similar after Sandy Hook and it also applies to it's subsidiary Field & Stream, which was first opened in 2013 and the Field & Stream stores did sell AR-15 rifles and similar rifles.

I never got the impression that very many serious shooters shopped at Dick's for firearms, it always seemed as if they were the store that a first time buyer went to, on the rare times I was in the store, the firearms section was almost always empty.  Most shooters in CT seemed to use Dick's for sales on shotgun shells and other ammo.

They haven't gotten money from me in years and now they never will.

33 minutes ago, The O'Meara Himself said:

Never cared for Dicks sporting goods, the ones I went into didn't carry handguns anyway. More business for Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabelas.

Himself

Plenty of REAL gun stores to support. Dick's is no loss.

2 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

So it turns out that 5a96b2a747432_DicksSportingGoods.JPG.6ad8728d7e3774d4a63cbcb1aa21c99e.JPG has made the decision to stop selling Assault style rifles (semiautomatic), along with high capacity magazines.

Doesn't stop there. Apparently they will refuse to sell to anyone under the age of 21 regardless.

They will; however, continue to sell semiautomatic pistols.

5a96b328eb901_Confused-RESIZED.jpg.526591bf47962da0f327af4dd4c747eb.jpg

A cowardly response to a very few people.  I truly hope it costs them a ton of money in lost sales by all gun owners.  THAT is a justifiable public protest.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

The last time I was at Dick's Sporting Goods I do remember seeing a plethora of pump shotguns including the Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500 series.

Since both of those are issued by the military and both of those have seen real combat time both of these pump shotguns qualify as assault weapons, in military terms, do they not? Whereas the AR-15 has never seen combat nor been issued by the military.

Since truth matters I wonder if this would make their heads spin?

Patience, Grasshopper. one gun at a time. Then eventually they'll have them all as banned weapons.  MT

Besides I'm sure criminals don't bother buying guns at gun stores.

1 hour ago, Tony Crowe said:

Yes they did but obviously sometime later resumed selling AR-15s. I guess when the heat was off the sales opportunity was more important than their moral outrage. More disturbing to me was their statement calling for legislative action with all the talking points being pushed by the anti-gun crowd. With that they have lost my business. 

Exactly.

It is worse than just not selling. They are asking for a ban. My money will not be supporting Dick's or Field and Stream, regardless of my sporting goods needs. I prefer to buy local when I can anyway, but I will go out of my way to avoid them for as much as a pair of socks now.

28377984_10155335235681447_5858109636467972534_n.jpg

Why would ANYONE shop at Dick's Sporting Goods??  Their prices are too high, they have terrible customer service, they don't stock much of anything for the serious outdoors person, (except for joggers) and did I mention that their prices are too high???   

They should change their name to "Millennial Joggers' Boutique"!!

45 minutes ago, DocWard said:

It is worse than just not selling. They are asking for a ban. My money will not be supporting Dick's or Field and Stream, regardless of my sporting goods needs. I prefer to buy local when I can anyway, but I will go out of my way to avoid them for as much as a pair of socks now.

They say they believe in the 2nd Amendment, yet want to "Ban assault-style firearms" "Ban high Capacity magazines-------), "Require-----------relevant mental health information----(does that mean they want a clear bill of health from a psychiatrist ?)."

"Close the private sales------------".

Dick's is trying to +ick us with their rhetoric, then saying they believe in the 2nd amendment. Dick's are sporting stores antigun, and grabbers are looking to have them join.  MT

To add: I will be calling them asking to speak to the store manager or representative and let them know I will no longer, nor my wife be allowed to shop there. (We never went there anyway, as one wrote, prices to high even with sales, but I won't tell them that.)

WOW!  A T-shirt and Gym Shoe shop drops ARs.  My-oh-my!  What will we do?  I don't know of anyone who has ever bought an overpriced firearm from this group.  When Galyan's sold out to this pathetic group, I quite going - they did not want to sell handguns as they were not "family friendly." HUH?  I never found anything within this t-shirt shop that ever interested me. Never. So, I say, Adieu! Adios! Goodbye! and from my porch - don't let the gate hit you in the south end as you leave.

STL Suomi

1 minute ago, St. Louis Suomi SASS #31905 said:

I never found anything within this t-shirt shop that ever interested me.

Not to mention they ain't got squat as far as CAS stuff goes...

As some of you know, I've been having a discussion with some anti-gun folks over on facebook.  They are all up in arms over AR-15s  Just recently, I posted these FBI statistics (can't believe anything the NRA says ya know).  I have asked them to look and the number of rifles (all types of rifles) used to commit murder.  Seems the rifle is used less than handguns, shotguns, knives, and blunt instruments (weapon first reported when Cain slew Abel).  But, the rifle is the currently Politically Incorrect weapon.  Then again, the NRA is at fault.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/expanded-homicide-data/expanded_homicide_data_table_8_murder_victims_by_weapon_2010-2014.xls

I don't have one nearby, but years ago I won a $100 gift card for them. Had to drive across the state to the only  one I could find. The only thing worth buying after many trips up and down the isles was $100 worth of .223 ammo. Will never be back for any reason.

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

WOW. If I never step foot inside another Dicks Sporting Goods store, it will be too soon.

26 minutes ago, St. Louis Suomi SASS #31905 said:

WOW!  A T-shirt and Gym Shoe shop drops ARs. 

The big thing is they are removing them from their Field and Stream stores, which are decidedly more outdoor oriented.

Will the snowflakes be going after BPS/Cabellas next?

Just now, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

Will the snowflakes be going after BPS/Cabellas next?

I don't know whether it is a case of the anti-gun types going after Dick's, or them staying true to their anti-gun corporate culture.

It's one thing if they were merely fair-weather friends who caved in to political pressure and threw us under the bus in order to to save themselves. But they've actually turned against us like a corporate Benedict Arnold. They deserve to go out of business, but they probably won't because I'll bet most of their business was selling sport cleats and jerseys to liberal soccer moms anyway.

9 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I don't know whether it is a case of the anti-gun types going after Dick's, or them staying true to their anti-gun corporate culture

or a combo of both...

Seen it before... I used to sell guns for Oshman's Sporting Goods in Houston. They sold out to Sports Authority, another "Get-rid-of-the-guns-so-we-can-sell-Tshirts-and-tight-bicycle-pants-to-Millennial-yuppies" type store. They finally went out of business in Houston ( I think completely) but in any case, DIck's will not see my smiling face again. Hopefully they'll follow suit with Sports Authority and just leave.

Archived