SASS Wire Forum

Awards

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

We're a very small club, 12-15 shooters and don't give out awards and I'd like to be able to give out something other than a piece of paper. I'd like to have something for clean shooters as a start. I've looked at enamel pins, but they're out of our budget range. Anybody have a source or ideas for something not chintzy, but maybe unique. i know it's a tall order.

Thanks

One Local club gives a green ribbon for a clean match. - Oakwood Outlaws

Another local club gives a small pin with the club logo. - Old Fort Parker

My local club gives out a wooden coin with the club name on it. -  Thunder River Renegades

Make a roster of some sort, maybe a board that you can use paint or a Sharpie on, and hang it up on one of your stages where everyone can see it when you shoot.  Have a separate roster for each kind of award you want to recognize (clean match, overall fastest each month, shooting every match in a year, etc.) I bet you will get lots of motivation so folks can brag about being “on the board”!

As my evil twin said, you could call them Braggin’ Boards.  :D

One club around here gives the shooter a coupon for a free match.  Some cash them in and some don't.

We give small pins.  We purchased in quantity and they were extremely reasonable that way.

One of the clubs I shoot at gives out a $1 coin to clean shooters; the others give out poker chips stamped: Clean Shoot; 1st Place; 2nd Place & 3rd Place.  One of the clubs that gives out the poker chips allows them to be redeemed for a free monthly shoot with 5 Clean Shoot or 7 Place poker chips being turned in. Hope this helps. 

The Rivanna Rangers in Charlottesville, VA gives out little wood trophies for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places. Don't know where they get them, but I could find out.

My club uses pins. I also ordered and did a lot of the designing for the Pistoleros pins. While buying in small batches can get expensive. I found that with orders of 300 or more it's less than a dollar per. That's fairly cheap and they last a long time that way. If you need any help let me know I can certainly give you some ideas.

I think that if you know someone at your club has shot their FIRST CLEAN MATCH,  if nothing else, you should recognize them here on the SASS Wire.  That first time clean match is so special and to be recognized is even better.

We give out customized "Clean Match" certificates for anyone shooting a clean match shot on our range.

For our annual match, we give out certificates for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finishers in each category shot.

We also seek donations, from local firearm related vendors, for a prize table at the annual match.

The prizes are awarded by the drawing of a number. 

Clean Match Scan0001.jpg

Bob how many awards are you looking for?

I've been toying with the machines at work.... lol

7 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

Bob how many awards are you looking for?

I've been toying with the machines at work.... lol

Probably 25-50, that would last us about 3-5 years, maybe longer if I can get them to do a deal where you get a free shoot with 5 clean shoot awards you turn in.

10 hours ago, Rattlesnake Slim said:

A small, custom branding iron is a one-time expense that can be used to make small wooden or leather awards.

I like that, any idea where I can get one made?

Thanks

13 hours ago, Dorado said:

My club uses pins. I also ordered and did a lot of the designing for the Pistoleros pins. While buying in small batches can get expensive. I found that with orders of 300 or more it's less than a dollar per. That's fairly cheap and they last a long time that way. If you need any help let me know I can certainly give you some ideas.

Who do you get your pins from?

8 hours ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

I like that, any idea where I can get one made?

Thanks

If you have a pic of what your logo is send it to me I'll see if we can make one

8 hours ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Who do you get your pins from?

I ordered 300 pins from gs-jj.com they are quick and inexpensive. About $0.85 each. The more you order the cheaper they get. And they accept PayPal.

Nice thing is that they will work with you to help you design them.

On 1/20/2018 at 7:33 AM, evil dogooder said:

If you have a pic of what your logo is send it to me I'll see if we can make one

The past club president had that on his computer that died, I'm working on getting a copy from one of our vendors. I'll send it as soon as I can. Thanks

We use wooden coins from "WOODEN NICKLE."  We give out coins for first, second, and third in category.  Also, for clean match.

These are for each monthly match.

Wooden Nickle  will customize one or both sides.  Then, I put a clear sticker on one side with Alias and category.

We give out ribbon with our club name on it for 1st 2nd 3rd 5th 12th place and clean match in various colors. There is a tag on the back side were you can write down the info of the shoot. I can't say what the cost is as I don't buy them. Here is the phone number and site.    888-203-5430      aaaaward.com  

52 minutes ago, Rough 'N Ready Rob said:

We give out ribbon with our club name on it for 1st 2nd 3rd 5th 12th place and clean match in various colors. There is a tag on the back side were you can write down the info of the shoot. I can't say what the cost is as I don't buy them. Here is the phone number and site.    888-203-5430      aaaaward.com  

We give out ribbons also, 1st 2nd and 3rd place and Clean shoot ribbons. Our 3 day shoot is a little different.

I did the poker chip deal for our local club.   You can buy the chips cheap enough....just find a local printer to make up decals to fit the center of the chip.  Same decal can be used on all chips.   Different colors for class placement and of course another color for clean match.  

On 1/19/2018 at 7:38 AM, PaPa Chet, SASS #74588 said:

One of the clubs I shoot at gives out a $1 coin to clean shooters; the others give out poker chips stamped: Clean Shoot; 1st Place; 2nd Place & 3rd Place.  One of the clubs that gives out the poker chips allows them to be redeemed for a free monthly shoot with 5 Clean Shoot or 7 Place poker chips being turned in. Hope this helps. 

Giving out a $1coin is really pretty cool. Make it a Sacajawea dollar and you're giving out a "gold coin"!

7 hours ago, Smokey Shayne said:

I did the poker chip deal for our local club.   You can buy the chips cheap enough....just find a local printer to make up decals to fit the center of the chip.  Same decal can be used on all chips.   Different colors for class placement and of course another color for clean match.  

Neat idea. How much did the cost end up being per chip after all said and done?

5 hours ago, Two Spurs said:

Giving out a $1coin is really pretty cool. Make it a Sacajawea dollar and you're giving out a "gold coin"!

Neat idea. How much did the cost end up being per chip after all said and done?

The ones I purchased for one of the local club came to .73 cents a chip but that was 5 years ago

I am an officer for a small club too.  We give out clean match pins.

Up until 2018, we only collected $3 per match out of a $10 fee  from each member of The Outlaws and/or Diamond Dick's Cowboy Town. We collected $8 each from a $15 fee from non-members of either.

Our participation is small as there are two nearby clubs that shoot either the same day or the next day. (At least I hope that is the reason.)

We still gave out clean match pins.

The range has raised their fees from $5 to $7 per shooter. We are the only club (from what I have been told) that did not raise our fees. That means we will collect $1 from members and $6 from non members.  So far, there has not been any talk of not giving clean match pins. If it comes up, I will vote against it.

Contact Pinto Annie of Desperado Bullets.  I have been buying custom poker chips from here for the past 5 years to give as shooters gifts/memorabilia at our annual speed steel match.  She does a great job with design and her turn-around time is pretty good.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I especially liked the Sacajawea idea, the only place I've found them reasonably is from the US Mint for $33 for 25. I think I'll give that a try and make some square oak holders for them.

18 hours ago, Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L said:

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I especially liked the Sacajawea idea, the only place I've found them reasonably is from the US Mint for $33 for 25. I think I'll give that a try and make some square oak holders for them.

Paying $33 for $25?  You can get "gold" coins from your local bank $1 for $1.  Some may be the older Sacajawea's while most will probably be one of the presidents.  Who cares?  They're both still "gold", if that's what you're looking for.

Angus

• 2 months later...

Archived