SASS Wire Forum

what happened to the wives on TV?

Trigger Mike

I just saw "Father Knows Best" for the first time in decades .  I watched it and leave it to Beaver as a child.  Father decides to leave insurance and buy a farm and his wife does not get stressed like modern wives do or angry but lets him do his thing and gently gets the office to call him back for help.  meanwhile she is willing to make the move.  June on Leave it to Beaver was the same way.  dressed to the hilt when he came home from work.  supper cooked.  kids respectful.  what happened to all of that 

1 hour ago, Trigger Mike said:

I just saw "Father Knows Best" for the first time in decades .  I watched it and leave it to Beaver as a child.  Father decides to leave insurance and buy a farm and his wife does not get stressed like modern wives do or angry but lets him do his thing and gently gets the office to call him back for help.  meanwhile she is willing to make the move.  June on Leave it to Beaver was the same way.  dressed to the hilt when he came home from work.  supper cooked.  kids respectful.  what happened to all of that 

The baby boomer generation pretty much screwed that all up!

28 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The baby boomer generation pretty much screwed that all up!

Say what? As a card carrying boomer I grew up with and taught my kids the same values of respect, courtesy, working together and co-operation I learned from my parents. So I'm not sure how we "screwed it up". My wife and the kids wives are more involved in the daily things and not stay at home, but otherwise........

2 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Reality came a knocking.

Father Knows Best, Leave it to Beaver, and other family TV shows of the era were fantasy.

My mom never wore high heels and pearls around the house. We didn't have a beautiful 2 story house on a tree lined street. Some of my teachers were A$$****s. I stood up to a bully once and got my butt kicked. My dad never carried a briefcase and went to "the office".

Fantasy. :rolleyes:

We got to see real families on the 10 o'clock news;  the shows mentioned gave us relief from reality.

A good dose of fantasy for sure, but also a reflection of the times to an extent. My last surviving aunt from the big glamorous city of Merkel, Tx. always looked like she was going to church. She lived to be 96, this pic was taken when she was in her 90's.

JHC

https://obittree.com/obituary/us/texas/merkel/starbuck-funeral-home/vivian-davis/1828607/

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Besides those families, there were Ozzie and Harriet, Lassie, Dennis the Menace, the Danny Thomas show.  All very unreal.

they'd diagnose Dennis the Menace and medicate him these days.  Ozzie would likely be divorced and Eddie Haskill in Leave it to Beaver would be a juvenile offender if cast nowadays in real life

21 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

ano-one-1940-2017-what-the-hell-happened

Captain,

First time you see any man dressed like the one on the right in TX, let us know.

4 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

Went to commercial.....For a pack of cigarettes I bet. :lol:

OLG

32 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

they'd diagnose Dennis the Menace and medicate him these days.  Ozzie would likely be divorced and Eddie Haskill in Leave it to Beaver would be a juvenile offender if cast nowadays in real life

The real Eddie from the show made the LAPD a career.

Had lunch with him more than a few times at the old court house in DTLA.

OLG

Welcome to Life 101

7 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

Say what? As a card carrying boomer I grew up with and taught my kids the same values of respect, courtesy, working together and co-operation I learned from my parents. So I'm not sure how we "screwed it up". My wife and the kids wives are more involved in the daily things and not stay at home, but otherwise........

As a whole our generation was the first to go against the principles of our parents generation which is what Leave it to Beaver's parents were. I raised my kids with the same values as my parents taught me too, but not everyone in our generation did! Drugs, sex and rock n roll, remember the sixties? It was awful! A majority of our gen. went totally against our parents generation. That's a fact!

1 hour ago, Tom Bullweed said:

No wimmen are responding to this post.

The silence is a deafening warning to the non-wimmen.

sorry...been busy loadin' shotshells.....:P

I knew these these shows were fantasy from the get-go:

*My mom and dad slept in the same bed. No his and hers

*My friends' moms wore hair curlers and robes during the day

*My dad carried a flight helmet to work instead of a briefcase. After that it was a slide rule.

*I never saw a picket fence in front of a house except on TV

*My father didn't give a warm speech when I screwed up. He'd whack me on the head with his class ring. I don't remember learning anything, just a lump on the head

*The family car was several years old, not the latest offering from Detroit.

*My mom used Eagle or S&H Green Stamps for food shopping

*...and the lis goes on

Watched all those shows as a kid and thought my life was obviously messed up because none of that stuff applied to me and my family.

Mom had to work after dad walked out. Mom and I lived with granddad, aunt, uncle in a very small house, not like on TV shows.  Neither my mom or aunt dressed up in heels and pearls although mom did wear heels to work and immediately removed them when she got home.  I wore hand-me-down clothes from my friends.  I envied all the TV families until I grew up and realized they were fantasy. 

Raised in a foster home, when I had a family dad wore a gun to work, then he rode a Harley with a suicide clutch while wearing that gun and kept the Harley in the one car garage we had. Mom did not drive till the mid 60's. That was cool.

22 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

As a whole our generation was the first to go against the principles of our parents generation which is what Leave it to Beaver's parents were. I raised my kids with the same values as my parents taught me too, but not everyone in our generation did! Drugs, sex and rock n roll, remember the sixties? It was awful! A majority of our gen. went totally against our parents generation. That's a fact!

No wonder you were so deadset against the trend of the sixties and seventies, you got the order all wrong. It's actually Sex, Drugs, and Rock n Roll.

First things first!

2 hours ago, Festus G Lonetree said:

No wonder you were so deadset against the trend of the sixties and seventies, you got the order all wrong. It's actually Sex, Drugs, and Rock n Roll.

First things first!

Actually for me it was Rock n Roll, drugs then sex......I played in a band in the 60's, 70's 80's until1996........:lol:

7 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Actually for me it was Rock n Roll, drugs then sex......I played in a band in the 60's, 70's 80's until1996........:lol:

I reckon we all got our own order of priorities ..... and mine have earned me more than one lecture over the years!

21 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

that explains a lot.....:blink:

On 7/26/2017 at 9:40 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

It's TV.

Yep! Pure fiction and BS.

On 7/26/2017 at 9:07 PM, Lorelei Longshot, SASS #44256 Life said:

Watched all those shows as a kid and thought my life was obviously messed up because none of that stuff applied to me and my family.

Mom had to work after dad walked out. Mom and I lived with granddad, aunt, uncle in a very small house, not like on TV shows.  Neither my mom or aunt dressed up in heels and pearls although mom did wear heels to work and immediately removed them when she got home.  I wore hand-me-down clothes from my friends.  I envied all the TV families until I grew up and realized they were fantasy. 

Same here. My Dad never walked out, though I truly wish he would have, but these TV families had me believing all that horse$#@&.

I do remember some of my friend's families trying to or at seemingly trying to emulate TV families which was also very creepy.

It was a lot of fantasy but I gotta say that my upbringing in small town Midwest in the '50s was a lot closer to Leave it to Beaver than it was to what I see of kids childhoods today. They have a lot more "stuff" but also a lot less freedom to just be themselves. We roamed around quite a bit over hill and dale and around the river but never got into any trouble that was too serious. Sure wish my dad had been a bit more like Ward Cleaver but overall I wouldn't trade what I had then for what kids get in modern urban and suburban settings. Hey, I even survived without a bicycle helmet!  

Seamus. 

13 minutes ago, Whiskey Business said:

I would not trade my Dad and Mom for the cleavers. 

They were better in every way, cause they were not perfect. Just kind and intelligent and Always there for me. Miss them every day.

No... and you thoughts on you parentage should not be changed...

Over time on this forum... you... have garnered mucho respect from me along with others... more than anybody than I know.  I am a nobody.  My thoughts... really... my thoughts... they don't mean nothin'....

But you are a really nice SOMEBODY...  capable of influecing people.  You are a special person.

Please... help SASS recruit.  You... can do it.  You are a special person.  Please... do not think about me when you think about this.

adr

On 7/26/2017 at 9:03 AM, Trigger Mike said:

Women started wanting careers. Who can blame them? I know I don’t want to spend my whole day at home cooking, cleaning, and taking care of kids. 

Lets turn away from the darkness and head for the bar. I'm gonna grab a bourbon and watch Rogue One. :D

Archived