SASS Wire Forum

gas filler, nothing to do with SASS

OK, close yer eyes and tell me what side your gas cap is on...

I have a pile of jeeps had a cj-5 in 1980 ans Grand Cherokees since 1995. They have alwas been on the driver side...

then recently I just got a 2014 Jeep Cherokee..(no Grand..) and lo and behold cap is on the passenger side.

in the Parade magazine in the sunday paper said that on most newer cars, they have a mark above the gas gauge indicating which side it is on. had to go out and check this out, and sure as heck it did.

bte this little car is a tuffy!! My last GCs were both v8s with and had 212hp (i had the 4.7l engine.

this little guy has a v6 and gets 272 hp, and runs a 9 speed tranny. I have gotten as hi as 39mpg...but still has lots of power if ya need it!

now that I know how to find the gas cap, I am a happy camper..

curley

All of my vehicles have been driver side fill. The only exception was an 81 chevy pickup with dual saddle tanks. That one got some confused looks from younger people when I'd leave my wife standing at the pump as I drove around to fill the other side. I always thought that was a dumb design. Should've been a saddle tank and a tank from the k5 blazer with both fillers on the same side.

I wonder why they quit putting them under the license plate?

Didn't have to worry about which side, and being on the correct side of the pump island. It was in the middle - could be reached from either side.

On 99% of cars that do not have an arrow on the fuel gauge, the location of the gauge tells you which side the cap is on.

Gauge on the right side of the instrument panel the fuel cap is on the passenger side of the car. Gauge on the left the fill cap is on the drivers side of the car.

On 99% of cars that do not have an arrow on the fuel gauge, the location of the gauge tells you which side the cap is on.

Gauge on the right side of the instrument panel the fuel cap is on the passenger side of the car. Gauge on the left the fill cap is on the drivers side of the car.

I guess I'm part of that 1% then. My 2004 Mazda has the fuel gauge on the passenger side, the fuel door on the drivers side and no mark anywhere indicating which side it's on.

F250 - Drivers side

Mazda - Driver's side

Subaru Forester - Wrong side!

I remember pumping gas into the flip open tail light of a 56 & 57 Chevy. Old T-Birds gas filler was under the Continental spare tire. I'm sure there were other strange places manufacturers placed gas fill tubes. My 65 Corvette was on the rear deck.

I wonder why they quit putting them under the license plate?

Didn't have to worry about which side, and being on the correct side of the pump island. It was in the middle - could be reached from either side.

As others have said, rear end collisions. I also found that when the tank was full, gas would slosh out the back on acceleration. After that, I stopped filling the tank completely.

Magnum RT Drivers side

300C Drivers side

Dakota Driver side

Daughters Cobalt passenger side

Proving once again Mopars are better than all other cars/Trucks

In the early 70s, having the fill pipe on the right, left and center cause a lot of confusion during the gas shortage.

When everyone had to line up to get gas.

It caused cars with fillers on opposite sides to meet head on when fighting for a pump.

This also caused longer hoses on the pumps so you could park with the filler on the side away from the pump and still reach.

Stations then made entry to the pumps all from one directions so you could drive tot he pump with the filler on the side closest tot he pump.

After the gas shortage was over, it was back to fighting for pumps with head on meetings at the pumps.

I would be for all filler pipes to be on the same side of all cars.

Then cars at the stations would all be facing the same direction for the same pump line.

But I also don't expect people that make regulations to be smart enough to design calm, smooth flow of cars at the pumps.

'70 Chevelle, behind License plate, new gas cap, I can fill it up, just hope I never get rear-ended!

Our friends across the pond at Jaguar came up with the perfect solution back in the early '70's...

One on each side! :)

396001-1000-0.jpg?rev=2

Howdy,

I seem to remember some cars having the pump symbol with the hose and filler on the

side of the symbol same as the filler on the dash.

I cant remember owning a car that didn't have fill on the driver side.

Colt SAA - passenger side.

S&W - Driver side.

Ruger Vaquero - passenger side

Winchester 1892 - passenger side

Best

CR

Why it is where it is... :rolleyes:

Reasons

“The placement of the fuel door is mainly a factor of fuel tank design, location and underbody packaging,” Nissan’s Steve Yaeger wrote in an email. “With all of the structure and components located underneath the vehicle, (engineers) would quickly encounter restrictions in trying to route the filler tube to the same side on every vehicle.”

If mechanisms such as a “big, honkin’ speaker” must be placed on the left side, engineers put the fuel door on the right, notes Schirmer.

The bottom line: Fuel door position is not a random choice, but if engineers have a good reason to place fuel doors on the right, that’s where they go.

If you can’t remember the location of your fuel door, don’t be ashamed to look at the little diamond-arrow on your fuel gauge … BEFORE you pull up to the pump.

All of my vehicles have been driver side fill. The only exception was an 81 chevy pickup with dual saddle tanks. That one got some confused looks from younger people when I'd leave my wife standing at the pump as I drove around to fill the other side. I always thought that was a dumb design. Should've been a saddle tank and a tank from the k5 blazer with both fillers on the same side.

What it really shoulda' had was a crossover tube about an inch in diameter!! :o

What it really shoulda' had was a crossover tube about an inch in diameter!! :o

That would have worked too. But it would have been nice to have the extra capacity of the blazer tank as the primary which is why that would have gotten my vote.

OK, close yer eyes and tell me what side your gas cap is on...

I have a pile of jeeps had a cj-5 in 1980 ans Grand Cherokees since 1995. They have alwas been on the driver side...

then recently I just got a 2014 Jeep Cherokee..(no Grand..) and lo and behold cap is on the passenger side.

in the Parade magazine in the sunday paper said that on most newer cars, they have a mark above the gas gauge indicating which side it is on. had to go out and check this out, and sure as heck it did.

bte this little car is a tuffy!! My last GCs were both v8s with and had 212hp (i had the 4.7l engine.

this little guy has a v6 and gets 272 hp, and runs a 9 speed tranny. I have gotten as hi as 39mpg...but still has lots of power if ya need it!

now that I know how to find the gas cap, I am a happy camper..

curley

You got a gas cap?? On my 2014 f150 and my work van no gas cap , just a gas cap less filler

Archived