SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Non-Ruger pistols?

Knuckles Bandera #43963

I love my Ruger's....got 2 different pairs....2 of them Bird's Heads that my wife shoots...the other original ones I purchased when I got into SASS about 12yrs ago (one nickle, one blue case). All of them .38spl.

Now that my whole family is shooting (my wife, twin boys and me) I need to get at least one more pair of pistols. I was blown away how much the price has skyrocketed for Ruger Vaqueros. This is good for Ruger and I still buy other Ruger guns, but I need a less expensive alternative for this next pair of pistols.

What are your folks other favorites? I had an Uberti SA Cattleman in 45Colt I just used for a while but the base pin kept unscrewing and falling off. Not sure if I want to go that route....

Right now, I'm enjoying shooting my SIG P320 in 9mm........ although the Full Size .357 SIG is in my sights.

And on the other end of the scale, I enjoy shooting my .22's.

Rifles and pistols.

..........Widder

Big hands, big guns. My brace of ROAs with Kirst Konverter cylinders are my favorite Ruger hand guns. Loaded with full house 45Colt pushing Big Lube®LLC bullets with a compressed charge of Holy Black does my ego all the good it can handle with my cloths on. I'm in SASS for FUN! My rig may not be period correct, but it sure makes the wimmen retreat and youngsters wet themselves. . . .

DD-MDA

I'm in SASS for FUN! My rig may not be period correct, but it sure makes the wimmen retreat and youngsters wet themselves. . . .

DD-MDA

:lol: :lol:

My wife shoots a couple of Great Western II's. Went to them from her flattop Blackhawks as Vaqueros were too bulky for her taste (pre-New Vaquero). Never had a bit of trouble in several years of use.

My favorite non-Ruger CAS pistols? My pair of Colt Custom Shop SAAs .38WCF. Black Powder Frames, Bevelled Cylinders, 1st Gen Roll Marks, and Wooden Grips with Cartouche. Bought them a few years back through a Wire Pard who was a Colt Dealer. CCH is beautiful, like it came from Turnbull. I can't say enough about accuracy, with my mid-range reloads, from a rest, they hit the X ring at 30yds. Of course, now if I miss, I got nothing to blame but myself... :blush:

The non-Ruger pair I shoot with most? A pair of 2nd Gen SAA in .357 Getting them engraved. They're about half-way done now.

edit*** Oh wait. I just reread you post. You said "a less expensive alternative" to your Rugers... These ain't that!!

I really like Colt SAA's.

... but I need a less expensive alternative for this next pair of pistols.... What are your folks other favorites?

About all that's left cheaper is the Italian SAA repros you expressed doubts about... I have a pair of Uberti pistols that haven't given me any fits, and Pietta Quality is way up since the early days. Blue Locktite on any screws that loosen should take care of your problem. I check over all the screws on my guns when cleaning, or before a match. Even on the Rugers, screws get loose.

I prefer USFAs above all others.

Never shot a Colt, so I can't say anything about them.

--Dawg

I have an Old Vaquero .357 which was my first cowboy gun. I have a pair of stock Cimarron (Uberti) Model P's in .357 which in my opinion are much smoother and easier to shoot than the Ruger (which is also stock). I have bigger hands so my favorite to shoot is my Cimarron 1860 Army Type II conversion in .38 Special.

Pair of 2nd Generation Colt Blackpowder 1861 Navies, or pair of 3rd Generation Colt .45 SAAs with BP loads - of course.

Fingers Show Me MO smoke) McGee

My favorite non-Ruger CAS pistols? My pair of Colt Custom Shop SAAs .38WCF. Black Powder Frames, Bevelled Cylinders, 1st Gen Roll Marks, and Wooden Grips with Cartouche. Bought them a few years back through a Wire Pard who was a Colt Dealer. CCH is beautiful, like it came from Turnbull. I can't say enough about accuracy, with my mid-range reloads, from a rest, they hit the X ring at 30yds. Of course, now if I miss, I got nothing to blame but myself... :blush:

The non-Ruger pair I shoot with most? A pair of 2nd Gen SAA in .357 Getting them engraved. They're about half-way done now.

edit*** Oh wait. I just reread you post. You said "a less expensive alternative" to your Rugers... These ain't that!!

Those are my dream guns. I'm currently in communication with Colt now to make a pair almost identical, save the grips. I really like the stock 3rd gen grips.

To the op, I'm in the process of relieving myself of all my rugers. I just don't like the feel as much as my colts. For a cheaper alternative, I'd say smoke wagons. They're probably about the same price, but the smoke wagons are as close to a Colt as possible.

Those are my dream guns. I'm currently in communication with Colt now to make a pair almost identical, save the grips. I really like the stock 3rd gen grips.

To the op, I'm in the process of relieving myself of all my rugers. I just don't like the feel as much as my colts. For a cheaper alternative, I'd say smoke wagons. They're probably about the same price, but the smoke wagons are as close to a Colt as possible.

I guess we'll have to disagree. Of the italian clones the best is the Pietta made Great Western II`s from EMF. When EMF decided to import these, Will Hansen, EMF`s manager sent one to me for a look-see. He told me take it apart, shoot it, whatever I wanted to do. These guns are late 2nd gen configured, even the thread pitch is the same. They even have firing pin bushings, pressed in hardened bolt cams and the rounded tip bolt fingers like the originals but they did change the weakest link in the colt action, the leaf type hand spring. They changed to the Ruger style coil spring and plunger.

My wife, Ava Crowder, shoots a pair of .357 Pietta 1873 Millenniums that I bought at Cabelas. I have another pair for my daughter, Macey Magoo, to transition to when she turns 14.

Both pairs are very good pistols that have given exactly no issues.

These are very good pistols for a relatively inexpensive price. Cabela's has them for $399 each. Dixie Gun Works has them for $350 each. It would depend upon which is the best deal where you are.

EMFs Great Western ll are very nice right out ot the box. Wife has two pair, 45s and 357s. She shoots her RNVs in 357 most of the time then shoots the GWs and remarks she had forgotten how smooth and light the GWs are.

I shoot Uberti Regulaters, Cattleman and now open tops and like them all.

Resprung and polished they all work very well.

I think the stalks on the Uberti revolvers are just a bit fatter than Pietta sixguns.

I'm really enjoy shooting my USFA SAAs but they have stopped making them now and they were more expensive than my Ruger Bisleys. One set of BCH in 45 colt the other in 38/357 but I got a set of uberti s&w2 at the smiths being smithed upped now.

If you would be interested in a smaller frame gun, Uberti makes one in 38 Special. From Taylors, it's called a Stallion.

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/cartridge-revolvers/stallion-compact-single-action-revolvers.html

Cimarron has the same small frame named Model P Jr. and also available in 32 H&R with 32-20 cylinder.

http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/products/revolvers/cartridge-revolvers/lightning-model-p-jr/model-p-jr-1.html

I have two Uberti El Patrons - .357- 4 3/4" on order.

I am hoping like mad that they will be my favorite pistols for a while.

And before someone tells me how much you pay for these, and leave me sobbing in the corner like a little child, they are costing me $900 each.

When the OP stated "Pistols", I thought he was talking about "Pistols", not just 'Revolvers'.

Sorry if I mis-interpreted his intent.

My bad.

..........Widder

I thought the same thing, pistols have clips magazines

I believe pistols were called pistols before pistols were invented and then pistols were called revolvers..........go figure :wacko:

Order of preference USFA, Colt, Ruger pistols revolvers

Uberti does offer some less expensive choices

Howdy,

fyi, colt asked for and received patents for the revolving pistol.

springfield arm. 9mm 1911....try it you like it.

And no its not for sail.

usual comment after shooting it.

Low recoil, wicked accurate and still available call springfield.......

Best

CR

Pietta 1851ish US Marshals (or any other flavor of Pietta C&B ) are nice handling pistols out of the box and very nice and more reliable after a little work and a couple of more modern innards........if you like cap-n-ball.

Uberti Open tops in .44 spl. are just that Very Special !!!

RM conversions are fine as well...

I prefer the Navy grips ...

Jabez Cowboy

I love my Rugers all 5 sets of them

But my USFA's are so fast I can't shoot them….they shoot all by them self, not kidding :wacko:

Scratch

I guess we'll have to disagree. Of the italian clones the best is the Pietta made Great Western II`s from EMF. When EMF decided to import these, Will Hansen, EMF`s manager sent one to me for a look-see. He told me take it apart, shoot it, whatever I wanted to do. These guns are late 2nd gen configured, even the thread pitch is the same. They even have firing pin bushings, pressed in hardened bolt cams and the rounded tip bolt fingers like the originals but they did change the weakest link in the colt action, the leaf type hand spring. They changed to the Ruger style coil spring and plunger.

Well you have one up on me here, as I haven't handled a GWII as of yet, but it's now on my list

Archived