SASS Wire Forum

Well,... the end has come.

My SASS renewal came today, and I just cannot justify the $65 fee. So soon this "Stubborn Dutchman" will fade into the dust. :( Even the club I shoot with is dropping out of SASS, due to the high fee they received. :huh: So this group of retired, over the hill, broken down old cowboys are going to get together once a month and shoot for fun, sport and braging rights, and have a little BBQ afterwards.

Shoot straight guys and gals, and thanks for the memories.

Stubborn Dutchman

I wish I was a couple hundred miles closer, I'd love to join that group it sounds like a lot of fun.

I doubt you will be alone in not renewing, I'm betting one in ten do the same

OK I get the retired on a fixed income thing but;

$65/month is $5.42/ month.

And high club fees of $100 if you don't want to go through the documenting of SASS members is not, in my opinion, high. It's a few dollars per member!

A monthly match with ammo, shooting fees, and gas to get there is more than the membership dues.

Thousands of dollars in guns, gun carts, loading machines, and clothing and $20 more a year is the line?

Ike

Although we've never meet, sorry to see you go.

Dutchman,

I wish you well and I hope your local club continues to grow.

But please allow me the opportunity to ask and invite you and your club to continue being SASS members.

A couple years back when Primers were hard to find (if not impossible), their prices skyrocketed and A LOT of Pards jumped at the opportunity to pay $50 plus bucks for a single brick of primers (1000 primers). Prices were normally $20, + or -.

Anyhow, folks for scrambling to spend every dime they had to buy those valuable reloading components like primers and powders.

Now, SASS (after approx 10 long years) is asking its membership for an increase in dues, which is way LESS than any increase we have seen in our reloading supplies.

Personally, I hate to see your membership, and other memberships, lapse over this relatively small amount.

Heck, most of the stuff we spend our money on in life doesn't give us our 'bang for the buck'. We lose THOUSANDS of bucks the moment we drive a new purchased vehicle off the car lot.

If you HAVE to go, I bid you well. But atleast WE all want you to know that sticking it out with the rest of us sure makes the campfires a lot more enjoyable.

Happy Trails.

..........Widder

I did reluctantly decide to renew last month. As I wrote in a previous thread, the amount was not a deal breaker. I could afford it. It was the size of the increase compared to the prior dues. I have never belonged to an organization that increased membership dues at a percentage anywhere near that. I believe they should have done it incrementally.

That said, I am encouraged by the new CC magazine and some other changes I've seen.

But I'm still a little ticked off.

And high club fees of $100 if you don't want to go through the documenting of SASS members is not, in my opinion, high. It's a few dollars per member!

A monthly match with ammo, shooting fees, and gas to get there is more than the membership dues.

Thousands of dollars in guns, gun carts, loading machines, and clothing and $20 more a year is the line?

Ike

That's the same line of "reasoning" the Polictians use to explain the increase in taxes, increase fees and more taxes. It's just a little more $ and more $ over here. It all starts to add up.

?..We lose THOUSANDS of bucks the moment we drive a new purchased vehicle off the car....

What do you mean "We" white man? ( Lone Ranger and Tonto joke).

I let Yankees take the loss of THOUSANDS of bucks on a new vehicle purchase with the 5 year loan and interest payments. I buy used.

Ike

Ike,

You do what suits your situation AND, how the membership at large decides to use their resources is their personal business and is not open to yours or anyone's critiquer, directive, speculation or contempt.

Dutchman, I don't know you, but I am sorry you are going.

Cat Brules

Cat

your off target here. It wasn't critique of anyone, or all the other words you used. I was wondering how a $20 increase in annual fees would make someone drop from SASS. Especially when you consider how much we all spend on shoots and equipment. Thats all it was.

It was also directed at all the other threads here on the wire. $20 increase at one time, yeah that seems high. But when you then think that my dues haven't increased in 10 years while the cost of everything SASS pays for has, I get it.

Nothing vile or contrary in my offering.

I'm sorry to see people go. The fewer active members the more SASS will struggle to maintain themselves as a business. When I heard that basically 20,000 members are the primary source of income for SASS I thought that they won't be able to sustain the business.

Ike

Ike

Mixed feelings here.

Certainly, each cowboy and each club is entitled to say "When" when they reach their limit.

Certainly, every other cowboy is entitled to discuss the economics, and to comment on the decision to call it quits.

My first thought when I read Dutchman's original post, and his thought that he and his pards would resort to informal shoots, was that he had described the origin of this game - a few friends getting together to shoot, simply, for fun. Sounds good. But how many CAS shooters would there be now if the original guys had just stayed in their backyards?

I'm still working; I can absorb the increase. This time. But I sympathize with those who feel that they cannot, or that don't want to. Hate to see good members leave.

LL

Matthew Duncan,

A right smart move. If more folks did that...

Not to side track this thread.

Dan

Matthew

SASS is a business pure and simple. They need to keep up with the increase in inflation and the loss of membership. If the revenue doesn't cover their operational costs then they are out of business. They could have increased the dues $2.00/year to make it $20 total but they didn't. The way I see it they have given us a benefit by not increasing their fees.

At the convention Misty Moonshine was very forward in her discussions. SASS was loosing money on the Chronical. So they tried the electronic version. And now as she said they will produce the quarterly printed version. But if it causes a loss to the business they will discontinue it.

Membership has declined and costs have gone up. What would you have them do to stay in business? Every business raises their fees or the cost of what they produce over time. Otherwise we'd still be buying $.5 loaves of bread.

Ike

Mine's coming up in March and while I protest the percentage of the increase, I realize as a business owner, things cost more and more. $20.00 extra for this organization that I've been a member of for 16 years? I'll pay, not happily, but I'll pay. I want to attend at least 2 state matches this year and maybe a regional. I quit smoking so I'm saving more than $20.00!! :)

Ike,

You do what suits your situation AND, how the membership at large decides to use their resources is their personal business and is not open to yours or anyone's critiquer, directive, speculation or contempt.

Cat Brules

If someone posts here, they are opening themselves up to criticism, as long as it is polite and it seemed to me that Ike's post 7 was polite. That is his only post before this one of yours.

Ike

some folks don't understand it's not that the dues went up $20 it's that they went to $65.

Yeah. Small bites over a couple of years would have been easier to digest.

$20? Comon!

Maybe you could hold your breath and turn blue. That'll show them.

$20? Comon!

Maybe you could hold your breath and turn blue. That'll show them.

It will be interesting to see how many members that $20 costs SASS. If you don't shoot above the local level and don't use the wire $65 is a lot of money. SASS was already at the top of the dues structure before the increase.

This is just a sample of what other organizations charge

NRA 25

BASS 25

RMEF 35

NWTF 35

TU 35

IDPA 40

NMLRA 40

Just a couple of comments to take the pain down a notch or two.

I believe at the Convention that Misty said in 2017 the club fees would be $50 across the board. So that is a savings of $50 for your club. You don't like the $65 renewal fee. Recruit 4 new members and get a years worth added to your membership. Can't get 4 then get at least 1 and you get 3 months added.

I'm semi retired so I know something about fixed incomes but sometimes you have to pay for your fun. I feel that SASS and the pards that I shoot with are worth every cent I pay.

Cordially yours, Mild Will

:ph34r: Sorry to see anyone leave the gang...... Personally, by reading the Wire and avoiding some of the movies reviewed here, I've already saved more than the dues increase.

I can, for the price of dinner and a movie, have a year's worth of fun which I cannot duplicate in any other way.

What do you mean "We" white man? ( Lone Ranger and Tonto joke).

I let Yankees take the loss of THOUSANDS of bucks on a new vehicle purchase with the 5 year loan and interest payments. I buy used.

Well, I hate to be the one to break the bad news to you Matthew..........

BUT, that used car you buy was once owned by a Yankee, when it was still new. ;)

How does it feel to drive a Yankee 'hand me down' vehicle? :o

..........Widder

BUT, that used car you buy was once owned by a Yankee, when it was still new. ;)

..........Widder

I'm sure them confederate boys have had a few years to get used to having hand me downs . . .. . It might rile them to admit it, but they're used to it . . . . .

SC

Well,

An extra $20 isn't going to put someone out of house and home. I say baloney to it being a matter of principle regarding the percentage of increase. The principle of SASS not raising dues for 10 years is commendable ! So take notice SASS, raise dues two dollars every year for those who claim it is a matter of principle. I'll be glad to accept a $20 increase in 10yrs.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

..........Widder

For the thousands I save, I can tolorate it. :)

Matthew

SASS is a business pure and simple. They need to keep up with the increase in inflation and the loss of membership. If the revenue doesn't cover their operational costs then they are out of business....

If I made widgets. Cost me $1 to manufacture and I sell them for $1.50

Demand drops so I raise the price?

No I trim my overhead and manufacturing costs. If that isn't enough then I lower the selling price. And if demand continues to drop, I'm out of business.

Ike,

Cat Brules

I agree with you Cat

Unfortunately we can not read the Posters body language and I read a few posts as "my way or the highway" too.

If overall SASS membership numbers are down, then some individual club numbers must also be down. The state and regional matches that I attend are down 20% and more since the 2008 recession. A healthy club and shooters that shoot more than five or six times a year should be able to absorb this increase. SASS also must do a good job of making shooters and clubs feel like they get value worth the new fees.

My guess is that this club match was not heavily attended. Sad to hear but understandable. I shot a match in December with six other cowboys. Our state has fifteen monthly matches, with only a finite number of shooters.

For the thousands I save, I can tolorate it. :)

You're a man after meowndangheart..... ;)

p.s. - my 'bought used' 01 Toyota Tacoma that I acquired back in 02 now has over 247,000 miles. Burns no oil, doesn't overheat, country radio station still works, and tires are still round. I did have to put some more fuel in it last summer. The homemade stuff sure last along time..... :D

..........Widder

I certainly can empathize with the objections to the increase. None of us like to have to pay more than we had previously been paying. I can't help but wonder though, if your local club had increased the fee required to shoot at their monthly match by $1.67/match (assuming there are 12 monthly matches per year) would you discontinue competing in those matches?

Just something to think about.

Archived