SASS Wire Forum

Ugly cars we have known...

Did you ever drive a Gremlin with a V-8? They were a hoot!

No, my cousin had one in a 6 cyl., it was pretty quick but U G L Y !!!!!! :lol:

My first car was one of these - The Rebel. It did have the advantage of the fold down seats!

Any Crosley. Got at least two running examples in the Prescott Valley area.

Followed by the Cube

...and followed by an Amphicar that a frat brother drove. A door seal failed when his girlfriend closed the door on a coat. Last I heard it was at the bottom of a reservoir in Hyrum, Utah.

I bought my first truck a 1947 Studebaker pickup for $50.00 and it was certifiably ugly. The year was 1971.

Studebaker's are still my favorite Pickup Truck

How about every Formula 1 Car since 1992.

Talk about hideous. They started getting ugly in 1993 and now they all look like science experiments gone horribly wrong.

Our neighbor had one of these and my dad taught me to drive stick shift on it! (in 1963)

I was going to nominate the Gremlin also but got beat. For new models, the Kia Soul looks like a shoe box on wheels. I got one as a rental once and people refused to ride in it. If you closed your eyes, opened it up and got in, it wasn't too terrible but on the outside it is butt ugly.

'57 Ford. Don't resemble nothin'!! '56 and '58 weren't bad looking cars, but the '57 looks like they intended to do the quad headlight thing and didn't have the right bulbs!! It just threw the whole appearance off!!

'57 Ford. Don't resemble nothin'!! '56 and '58 weren't bad looking cars, but the '57 looks like they intended to do the quad headlight thing and didn't have the right bulbs!! It just threw the whole appearance off!!

Hey! You aren't going to believe this but I drove one of these for almost a year. I thought it was B)

57FordFairlane500Skyliner.jpg

Last time I saw one of those Allie, the car looked just like the one in the photo. Problem was the top was stuck in that position. IIRC you had to be on level ground to operate the roof. Otherwise the thing would jam as the mechanism couldn't handle the unequal loading.

One of my running' buddies had a '59 Sunliner. It was banana yellow with white and gold interior. The colors were hideous, but it ran great and we could make the top work with a series of toggle switches. I think he finally found the original roof switch and control solenoids many years later.

The front bumper on those cars looks like somebody put a Continental Kit on the wrong end!! :lol:

Most ALL old cars are cool, but some of 'em are STILL UGLY!!! :rolleyes:B)

To humor my teen age daughters I bought a VW bus that was kelly green with a navy blue band

and a pee green top. Ugly was not even close. But they loved it and it was the easiest driving

car I have ever know. That sucker would climb a tree but would be outrun by a guy with a

wheelbarrow.

I'd have to say the 2 ugliest cars of the 50's and early 60's were the 61 Dodge and the 59 Buick. I did always want a 61 or 62 Impala bubble top though. Never had one, started driving Mopar's and stayed pretty much with those. I did buy my 1st wife a 63 Impala when her old car went south on her. She ended up totaling that.

Allie, my second car was a '53 Henry J in a tomato soup red color. Not much for speed, but it got this college kid everywhere I wanted to go (and some places I shouldn't have gone!).

72aPC.JPG

I bought a brand new 1971 Gremlin X with a screemin' six banger like in the pic -- only mine was in royal blue. Looked like someone started to make a station wagon and then quit. Had a 3-speed stick, but that hot six would get rubber in the first two gears.

Personally owned a 1949 Packard Super 8. It was, putting it nicely, an upside down bath tub. Even with the big engine, driving it was like piloting the Queen Mary. The bulbous flanks, and width of the car, made it difficult to park. The huge heavy doors were a hazard if you opened them while parked on a hill.

Had a relative with a green Gremlin. We all agreed it was not an improvement over his previous car, an early Camaro so rusty that one could open the door from the outside by putting one's entire hand into the rust hole and working the lever to the unlock position.

BGQ, Was that the 258 motor?At one point, I had a '72 Hornet with the 258.Car was in really nice shape, but wasn't worth a darn in the wet or snow. Green 4 door with a tu-tone green vinyl interior :blush:

4-IB, I'm not a car buff, but I know that the '71 six had a higher compression ratio than the '72 six. If I recall right, the '71 had 150 HP engine.... :huh:

That Gremlin had a light back end. That may be why I could get rubber in the first two gears.

Did you ever drive a Gremlin with a V-8? They were a hoot!

I once made the mistake of lining up next to a Gremlin X with a built 304 in my Mustang. It was purple and white, and I was looking at tail lights before I ever knew what happened. Evidently the owner knew what to do about the light rear end! I have wanted one since. Sort of neat looking in an odd, funky kind of way.

The Pacer, on the other hand...

My wife refers to Pacers as upside down bathtubs.

BGQ, The Hornet( I called it a hernia, probably should've called it a hemmoroid as it was a pain in the..........toookis) was fairly light in the butt,too. The narrow bias-ply tires probably didn't help either. It did have a torque-flight tranny, probably the 904.

My MIL had a '75 Vega wagon. I called it a vaguely,as in vaguely resembled an automobile. I hated that thing :blush:

Archived