SASS Wire Forum

TG Talking points

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

The TG's have a couple of items on their talking points, not voting proposals, just talking points that concern me and hopefully others, these 2 concern Classic Cowboy.The first is the change, to limit shotguns to 1880, which would eliminate 87 lever and would eliminate some other SXS's as well and the second is to require chaps and spurs. I strongly oppose these changes and would hope other Classic Cowboys would do the same.

It's gonna be 90+ with humidity just as high this weekend at a 3 match we're attending. As a Classic Cowgirl you WON'T be seeing me in chaps and spurs. I don't want a ride in an ambulance for the sake of someone's idea of what "classic" may or may not be.

This is a great category. I have been shooting it since it's inception. Please don't mess with it.

It's gonna be 90+ with humidity just as high this weekend at a 3 match we're attending. As a Classic Cowgirl you WON'T be seeing me in chaps and spurs. I don't want a ride in an ambulance for the sake of someone's idea of what "classic" may or may not be.

This is a great category. I have been shooting it since it's inception. Please don't mess with it.

Have to agree with you Barb.

CW

leave the rest alone. besides you have to shoot a double hammer gun NOT a 97. like what was said too hot for chaps sometimes, I wear mine most of the time. plus you have other options. Please leave it alone.

Happy Trails

This looks like someone looking for a solution to something that's not a problem. What's wrong with the 87? They don't look classic enough? They're certainly not any kind of competitive advantage. And adding mandatory items? Might as well just make it a strict dress code that everyone has to follow rather than a choice of items on the list.

Who is coming up with this crap? Leave things along, don't try and fix something that ain't broken!

TB

Now you guys that shoot Classic Cowboy are beginning to feel the heat that us B-Western shooters have felt over the last few years.

Ace

The let's make B-Western Black Powder guy

I've said it many times. Let only those that enter/sign-up for the categories, be the one's to vote for changes or additions. Most know very little about the categories, nor what is worn or used. Don't know how many matches were the shooters of CC and B were asked to check each other out, rather then the MD, or PM. In fact if a CC shooter who was shooting through, had not caught the only "B" western shooter on a posse using a 73,(he had a 92 in his cart), no one would have been wiser. MT

As a cc shooter who barely can walk spurs are a walking hazard for me I've tried. The second is I normally shoot a 87 shotgun and think cc is the most popular place where you will see the 87 used. In the other categories those that wish to shoot something besides a SxS use a 97 the 87 has the smallest following of the four types of shotguns they're even more hammered sxss being used than 87s. If they make that change I'll have to find another category to play in after spending much money this past year on chaps, chinks, knives and botas. I'll be able to use them in all the other categories that I would shoot but I'm having fun in cc the way it is. So please do not support this change with me.

Don't know if this will help or not, but...In the TG Agenda, as stated in the OP, The Classic Cowboy/Girl and B-Western items are Discussion Items. Even more importantly, the agenda annotations for these items clearly say in so many words "We need to hear from the Classic guys on these," and "We need to hear from the BW shooters on this!"

Please let your TG know how you feel so the discussion can go in what you feel to be the correct direction! FWIW, the affected shooters in my club who have spoken to me agree with the above assessments.

CS

Edit for spelling. cs

Don't panic! I wouldn't be TOO concerned about the likelihood of these getting on the ballot at the TG Summit in December.

This is an excerpt from the minutes of the End of Trail Territorial Governor's meeting where these issues were introduced as DISCUSSION ITEMS and the TGs present were "straw polled":

1) Should the “B” Western regulations be amended to allow “any SASS-legal rifle”?

ROC recommendation to “leave BW rules alone.”

Straw poll results = NO change

5) Classic Cowboy rifle (all firearms) cutoff change to 1880.

Discussion:

 This would allow the TTN 1878 Colt SxS hammer gun, but NOT the 1887 Winchester lever action shotgun in the category.

 Would also disallow the Remington 1890 revolver, and other models of a later date.

Straw poll of Classic TGs = NO

6) Should chaps and spurs be MANDATORY in “Classic” category?

 Concerns: Heat issues in some parts of the country.

 Other considerations: Classic Cowgirl clothing allowances.

ROC recommendation = Not broken…no need to “fix”

The minutes of the EoT TG meeting were posted on the TG Wire on 25 JULY

The Summit discussion/agenda/clarification items were posted on the TG Wire on 18 AUGUST.

If the information posted here regarding the clarifications and discussion items is news to you, I suggest you ask your club TG when/if these items will be announced to your members for discussion and a vote on the actual agenda items.

Some folks seem to think the TG system is "broken"...it IS if the Territorial Governors aren't doing their job in getting this information out to their clubs.

5) Classic Cowboy rifle (all firearms) cutoff change to 1880.

Discussion:

 This would allow the TTN 1878 Colt SxS hammer gun, but NOT the 1887 Winchester lever action shotgun in the category.

Would also disallow the Remington 1890 revolver, and other models of a later date.

Straw poll of Classic TGs = NO

Please no. I just learned of this pistol's existence. I would hate to pick one up someday and not be able to use it in classic cowboy.

And Ace I've always said let the B Western folks decide on their category.

Why????

All members have an opportunity to shoot the category...they, as members, should be able to have a say.

Oy...

Phantom

Why????

All members have an opportunity to shoot the category...they, as members, should be able to have a say.

Oy...

Phantom

I agree with Phantom.

Myself I am planning on going Classic Cowboy one day when finances allow purchase of the guns and reloading stuff to feed them.

Secondly, as someone who runs the timer, I am tasked with assessing category costume compliance. Changes in the rules do effect me even though I don't shoot in that category.

FWIW, I say no on the change to make spurs and chaps mandatory.

And we have a lot of folks with no interest in shooting these categories wanting to make changes. If you have an interest in shooting b western or classic cowboy your opinions are welcome. Otherwise they are worth what we paid for them!

And we have a lot of folks with no interest in shooting these categories wanting to make changes. If you have an interest in shooting b western or classic cowboy your opinions are welcome. Otherwise they are worth what we paid for them!

So now folks need to know what the future may or may not hold for them...wonderful.

And we pay the same amount for opinions from those with and without a current desire to participate in any category.

Every current SASS member has a right to offer their opinions on these issues...period.

Phantom

So, now we need to be in a special club (currently shooting or planning on shooting B-Western) to have an opinion and share said opoinion? I like having the ability to shoot any category at some point as I stroll through life......

Hello,

I too agree with Phantom.

Twice, I've asked about allowing any rifle in B-Western. Any propellant, shooting style, pistol, and SG is allowed. It made sense to me to allow any rifle. I already shoot a Marlin, so it wouldn't affect me. The noes were overwhelming. I wonder how many of them actually shoot the category. :unsure:

Funny thing is that both times I asked this question, the request to ask was made by someone who already shoots BW and wanted to encourage more competition/participation in their favorite category. I have been informed that as the TGs say "leave it alone," it will not be on the TG Summit Agenda.

Regards,

Allie Mo :ph34r:

It seems that I read about 'talking points' or actual TG agenda items every year that simply fly in the face of common sense. How well represented is the membership? How many TGs are there? How many TGs attend the TG meetings?

It seems that I read about 'talking points' or actual TG agenda items every year that simply fly in the face of common sense.

Care to elaborate on that statement?

How well represented is the membership? How many TGs are there? How many TGs attend the TG meetings?

http://www.sassnet.com/TG-Main-001A.php

Your club Territorial Governor should be able to answer those questions based on the results of the last Summit.

The EoT, Regional, and State TG meetings are attended by those Governors participating in the match.

sadly some clubs have no respect for the office of TG,,, but will whine about the results...

and others think the TGs are a step above everyone.... too bad more TGs don't live up to that standard!!!!

Hello,

I too agree with Phantom.

Twice, I've asked about allowing any rifle in B-Western. Any propellant, shooting style, pistol, and SG is allowed. It made sense to me to allow any rifle. I already shoot a Marlin, so it wouldn't affect me. The noes were overwhelming. I wonder how many of them actually shoot the category. :unsure:

Funny thing is that both times I asked this question, the request to ask was made by someone who already shoots BW and wanted to encourage more competition/participation in their favorite category. I have been informed that as the TGs say "leave it alone," it will not be on the TG Summit Agenda.

Regards,

Allie Mo :ph34r:

I'd love to see Allie Mo all decked out in B Western gear.

Who is coming up with this crap? Leave things along, don't try and fix something that ain't broken!

TB

Jesus Christ and General Jackson! Amen Brother.

I heard about these "Discussion Items" at EoT and hoped they would have assumed room temperature by now. aka Dropped Dead.

Just right off hand where do find out who the territorial govenor is?

The quickest way is to ask at your club(s) who the TG is.

The second way is to look at the SASS home page under "Affiliated clubs". If you select a club individually, it will list who the TG is for that club.

I do not belong to a club any longer as I've not been shooting that many monthlies none since EOT, so I think sass needs a nomad tg for those that do not have a club or a tg. As I have a dog in the classic fight I vote to leave it alone palewolf

I do not belong to a club any longer as I've not been shooting that many monthlies none since EOT, so I think sass needs a nomad tg for those that do not have a club or a tg. As I have a dog in the classic fight I vote to leave it alone palewolf

You don't need to be a CC to vote or state an opinion on CC.

Phantom

Archived