SASS Wire Forum

Prettiest Female Voice (singing) of all time?

Wow, that is one of the sweetest stories I've heard. Now I will probably think about it when I hear that song.

I'm sure all fathers are proud of their daughters and I really do think mine is special. When she was born I was in the delivery room and they handed her to me, Awesome feeling. When I left the hospital and got in the car I turned it on and the radio came on playing the Tommy James version and it just seemed to fit. I don't hardly know her but I think I could love her, Crimson and Clover over and over. I told her about it once and years later she picked it as our dance. Today she works for Children's Miracle Network and has a little girl of her own. I'd say it worked out pretty well.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much of the time I prefer to listen to female singers.

I don't really rate them one of the other so would be hard pressed to say who is 'best'

But were I to have to make a list, Karen Carpenter is the first name that comes to mind.

If you look at my iPod and or the USB drive in my car you would see that one of my favorites is Kathy Mattea.

While off the topic, I agree with BMC and others that I miss the big bands not that I was around when they were in their hey day. . Also like some Louis Armstrong now and then.

Personally, I miss Glenn Miller, well, I don't really miss him as I have several of his band on CDs. I also like the Andrew Sisters. Throw in a Benny Goodman or two and I find most of the rest from the era as unexciting. I like a lot of the other folks of the period including Sachmo and Red Nickles but they were more individual acts than big bands

Personally, I miss Glenn Miller, well, I don't really miss him as I have several of his band on CDs. I also like the Andrew Sisters. Throw in a Benny Goodman or two and I find most of the rest from the era as unexciting. I like a lot of the other folks of the period including Sachmo and Red Nickles but they were more individual acts than big bands

Ibid

Big bands were the entertainment of their time and had top talent.

The movies cashed in on that in the late 30s and early 40s with blockbuster

movies that featured them. Vocalist were in high demand and some folks

made some great careers out of them. Not only did the bands appear

in movies, but traveled all over the country to play in local music halls

to a public wanting to get away from the depression and the war.

Doris Day comes to mind as well as Helen O'Connell and Jo Stafford.

Always liked Jo's voice. The Andrew Sisters was another top draw.

Getting back to female vocalist, I suspect that their appeal is a combination

of a lot of things, their voice, their looks, and how the emotions of the listener

were at the time. Sometimes listening the old songs bring back memories

of good times and bad times and that is a big influence with me. I suspect

with others also.

I shall never forget, nor should we, Connie Francis......

And she didn't make many records but Anita Bryant was easy to listen to.

Mine in my 9 year old granddaughter when she is in my lap singing My God is Awesome.

You're all wrong. Unfortunately the most beautiful female voice of all time has been silenced. :( My Aunt Peggy had a stroke a couple weeks ago and is never gonna wake up again. She had a voice like a song bird.

Anyhow, there are a lot of good runners-up though. Lots of people have mentioned some of the best, so I'm gonna stretch out and find some that ain't been thought of yet. I have a strong preference for voices that sound like they're talking when they're actually singing. If the singing's too fancy, you can't hardly understand what they're saying.

Here's a good example. Jessi Colter. Never made it big, but she did sing probably the best song ever recorded by a female vocalist.

The first may very well still be the best. Mother Maybelle Carter

And the most confident singer ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFDWeq3YNaY

Lacy J. Dalton.

A lady that wasn't very well know but a gal that had a very unique voice. She's always been on my female favorites list.

Here's a couple my favorite song of hers.

She did a fabulous job of The Weight on the Easy Rider album. The Band version was not available for the movie album.

Howdy,

And no votes for Celine Dion or Whitney Houston?

Hmmmmmm.

Best

CR

I mentioned , Dolly Parton, WhitneyHouston, and Mariah Carey earlier. Oddly no one else concurred. When Dolly or Whitney sings 'I will always love you" the chill bumps get to me. That said, Linda Rondstadt, Alison Krauss, and Patty Loveless are my favorites.

There are any number of female performers who have wonderful stage presence, talent, and unique voices. There are only a very very few whose voices are actually beautiful! Many are mentioned here in this thread who are truly unique, and beauty is extremely difficult to define, but only a couple of them actually have what I consider BEAUTIFUL voices. Others will choose by their own definition of beauty and none of them are wrong.

All the listed singers are good if not real good but I wonder how many of you have ever heard of LARA FABIAN? Go on line and look her up and play the song she wrote: A broken Vow

I fell in love.

I'm a big fan of symphonic/operatic metal bands. Here's the Finnish band Nightwish with Tarja Turunen

Thanks Griz. Karen Carpenter is far and away the best voice.

Lots of the aforementioned are good, beautiful women but few have such a voice.

I love Alison Kraus as much for the songs she chooses as for her voice.

Tenille of Captain and Tenille makes my navel tingle when she sings "Muskrat Love"

I'm surprised no-one had mentioned one of the best voices of recent times. The "Alberta Songbird", KD Lang. I have two different high end sound systems, one tube based (McIntosh), and one digital, (Krell) and her DRAG album is breathtaking on both.

Her cover of Roy Orbison's CRYING is legendary but only shows a fraction of her abilities.

what do you think Blackwater??

I always thought she was wonderful, but I'm sticking with the ladies I first posted.

Ain't it cool that we have so many to choose from??

Patsy Cline, Dusty Springfield, Ronnie Spector, Joni Mitchell, Laurie Lieberman, Karen Carpenter, Laura Nyro, Whitney Houston, Reba, Amy Grant, Terry Clark

Whitney Houston.

Archived