SASS Wire Forum

Elitism Revisited Article in the Chronicle

I am gonna complain about something. This may seem trivial, or unimportant, but it's really not.

In the latest issue of the Chronicle there is an article titled "Elitism Revisited." Among other things, it talks about how people running .38's have an unfair advantage over those using .45's.

Whatever. Things like .32-20 existed back in the day and were used, so I don't really care about what caliber someone playing our game decides to use. There are things in the article that I agree with, things that I disagree with, and things that don't matter to me. But there is really nothing in the article that really warrents complaining about, content wise.

Some of you may now be wondering where I am going. Well, let me quote the offending sentance that has led me to complain...

"Cowboys shot large-bore, fullpower loads, such as the .44-40 and in the Calvary’s case, .45 Colts and Schofields."
As I have already mentioned things like .32-20, .38 Long Colt and other smaller cartridges did exist back in the day, so while I do disagree with this statement, I am not complaining about it, just disagreeing.
But what I am complaining about is something far more simple.
CALVARY is a hill outside of Jerusalem!
The mounted units of the US Army from back in the day were the CAVALRY!
I see this error far too often, and no, it is not something trivial. Now I freely admit that I am a lousy typist and a not very good speller, but come on people, this is one mistake that we should not be making. Even if people make the mistake in their writing, this is something that editors should be on the lookout for as they, well, EDIT the magazine.
Some of you may think I am being silly, but I am actually quite serious on this one. I am not offended by this error, but in a very real way, it is offensive. I humbly request that people remember the difference between Calvary and the Cavalry, and use the proper word when refering to either.

Calvary should always be capitalized as it's a specific place name. Cavalry is not always capitalized. Also, the Damascus Wildlife Rangers are based out of Maryland, not Maine.

Many automatic spellcheck/correcting programs will change cavalry to calvary. That may the case in the article.

+1. I keep trying to turn off the spell checker but it always comes back and makes some odd "corrections." Back to the original topic, "Cowboys shot large-bore, fullpower loads, such as the .44-40 and in the Calvary’s case, .45 Colts and Schofields."

Kind of a nonsense statement since 99.99999999% of us "cowboys" shoot reduced power loads. How many posts are about "how do I reduce the bullet weight and powder charge on my .45s so they don't recoil so much?"

+1. I keep trying to turn off the spell checker but it always comes back and makes some odd "corrections." Back to the original topic, "Cowboys shot large-bore, fullpower loads, such as the .44-40 and in the Calvary’s case, .45 Colts and Schofields."

Kind of a nonsense statement since 99.99999999% of us "cowboys" shoot reduced power loads. How many posts are about "how do I reduce the bullet weight and powder charge on my .45s so they don't recoil so much?"

If he really wanted to get that specific, they should be shot with BP.

Yeah, I'll agree that the comment is nonsense. A lot of people want to shoot lower power loads for a whole host of reasons. This does not make them any less a legitimate cowboy than those who shoot maximum power ones. Nor does shooting .32 S&W make you any less of a cowboy than someone who shoots .45 Colt.

We all approach the game slightly differnetly with the intent to have fun. My way of having fun may be the same as yours, similar, or radically different. Doesn't mean we don't both have fun. Nor should we insist that our way is the "proper" way and that other ways somehow have something wrong with them.

No.

The differnence is not trivial or meaningless.

That sounds a bit intolerant towards those who don't know or care about the difference...

I doubt JC really cares whether His place of execution is sometimes confused with horse warriors in regards to a spelling error.

BICBW

Yeah, I'll agree that the comment is nonsense. A lot of people want to shoot lower power loads for a whole host of reasons. This does not make them any less a legitimate cowboy than those who shoot maximum power ones. Nor does shooting .32 S&W make you any less of a cowboy than someone who shoots .45 Colt.

We all approach the game slightly differnetly with the intent to have fun. My way of having fun may be the same as yours, similar, or radically different. Doesn't mean we don't both have fun. Nor should we insist that our way is the "proper" way and that other ways somehow have something wrong with them.

I thought we burroed that dead mule about ate years ago :wacko: Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I thought the article was grate should cell a lot of papers. But it does great on my nerves when folks brake the rules of grammar and even more when they don't break for cats. It beets me where some people get these ideas. My advise is to let it lie or this may be the bow that brakes the camel's back. Well it's getting stuffy in hear, need some heir, guess I will sale into the sunset. I'm not threw though, have a suite day!

its and it's......drives me crazy

But when I hear otherwise learned men say "irregardless"...............like fingernails on a chalk board!

I thought the article was grate should cell a lot of papers. But it does great on my nerves when folks brake the rules of grammar and even more when they don't break for cats. It beets me where some people get these ideas. My advise is to let it lie or this may be the bow that brakes the camel's back. Well it's getting stuffy in hear, need some heir, guess I will sale into the sunset. I'm not threw though, have a suite day!

I don't care who you are, that's funny write their! :lol:

But when I hear otherwise learned men say "irregardless"...............like fingernails on a chalk board!

Right. Everyone knows its dis-irregardless.

I recently heard the VP of the United States say irregardless.......................But wait a minute, I said it bothers me when "Learned" men say it...............Nevermind!

Actually, I don't have a problem with the word "irregardless." It's a perfecty good word and people understand what it means, irregardless of what the grammar police would have us to claim.

I also split infinitives, end sentances with prepositions and sometimes start a sentance with the word "and."

But what do I know? I are a failed novelist.

People have been arguing the gramatical correctness of that since 1795

I am not a very good speller. Never was. Did great in shop classes.

But english class? I HATED it.

So if my posts offend you. Just put me on your ignore list.

As for all the other stuff. Shoot what you want as long as it is legal.

Anyone that has a problem with it. Well. It is just THERE problem.

P.S. The shop classes have served me better in my life than the english classes ever did.

I eight a sand which for lunch today. My coworker had won, two.

Shirley you ment to say sangwich .........

Archived