SASS Wire Forum

sorta OT: what would be your perfect carry gun?(revised)

Chili Ron

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you wondering what the Ghost carries?....Being the "National Fastest Derringer 2013" and a top contender for World Fastest Derringer 2013 (two on target in .47 of a sec)...I carry a Bonds COWBOY in .357 in a cross-draw. I carry all the time, but at home around the place I load .38 cowboy and usually draw and shoot 50 rounds a week.....targets, trees, leaves on the ground, turtles in the pond (they're hard to hit).

When traveling, in put my 1911 and an extra clip (Wild Bunch) in the door panel of my truck, but I don't leave it in the truck, I stick it in the small of my back inside my belt (pants).

I hope I never have to use them, but I'm 71 and can't run very fast or long. I try to be very polite to everyone.

Ghost

S&W M&P Shield 9mm/40, M&P full size 9mm/40, M&P 45 (14 rds. ;) ) all in that order, depending on what I'm wearing and where I'm going. All in either a shoulder rig or belt holster. AND a little prayer that I never need any of them, ever.

Glock m21 45acp on and off duty in a don hume leather belt holster witha thumb break or a safariland als for times going amongst them....practice practice practice draws with both!

I've been carrying a Para-Ord P-12 .45 ACP for YEARS and I'm still alive. Seems pretty perfect to me. :)

As big as you are Philly you could carry a Ma-Duece comfortably.

Me, I carry a G26 or my personally built Caspian 1911 commander.

JEL

Fast Cal used to make a concealed carry, belt rig for the SAA , that works really well ...

Jabez Cowboy

Just curious Jabez, is there any form of concealed carry in Canada?? Maybe a "may" issue?? Rye

Some related questions:

Why officer, I see you're carrying a pistol. Are you expecting trouble?....."No Ma'am", "if I was expecting trouble, I would be carrying my shotgun".

Excuse me sir, why are you carrying a pistol?....."Because a cop is too heavy".

I see you are wearing a gun, why?....."Because I am too young to die and too old to take a whippin'".

I have carried a lightweight commander in a Milt Sparks holster for many years. For the last 10 I add to that an early Kimber Ultra CDP in deep concealment. (I only carry 1911 style pistols in 45ACP). I need all the stopping power I can get. Having killed some with 45ACP's, like Texas Man I can attest to their effectiveness. So 2 45ACP 1911's and I Also carry a very special knife in deep cover. If the weather is warm, I just sweat alot.

It depends. I most of the time I carry my HK P30. If I'm feeling like I need more, I'll carry my SIG P220 Carry. If I feel I need the utmost in reliability, then I carry my Ruger GP100

P30

HKP30002.jpg

SIG P220 Carry

SIG220SASGenII002.jpg

Ruger GP100 3"

RugerGP100WC002.jpg

Bea Itchin' carries a Glock 19

Gen4Glocks016.jpg

Like many people I started out with a 1911, Glock Mid 40 and both spent a lot more time in the house than on my side. I now have a S&W 360 and it's rarely NOT on me.......you know when you "can't" carry.

It better be the one I'm carrting! No lattitude for it to be less than perfect.

S&W 432 Airweight six-shot J-frame in .32 Mag is my medium-dress carry gun for years.

A NAA .22 Mag for light summer wear and a Cimarron Thunderer .45 Colt with a 3.5" barrel for heavy duty round out my CCW pistols.

A Llama .380 single-action (miniature 1911) also very flat and works like the original.

:) Colt 1911 0fficers model if I'm able to wear a cover garment and use a good belt holster. Being in Florida in July kinda keeps that gun in the safe for a while. This time of year a Colt .380 Pony lightweight in a good pocket holster does quite well. Never could figure out why Colt decided to stop producing them, totally great little pistol. :unsure: :unsure:

It better be the one I'm carrying! No lattitude for it to be less than perfect.

Some related questions:

Why officer, I see you're carrying a pistol. Are you expecting trouble?....."No Ma'am", "if I was expecting trouble, I would be carrying my shotgun".

Excuse me sir, why are you carrying a pistol?....."Because a cop is too heavy".

I see you are wearing a gun, why?....."Because I am too young to die and too old to take a whippin'".

Dan, you crack me up.

Ifn I were a funny guy, maybe I could be part of the 'Cracker Me Up Crew'.

Ole Jawbone is a caution also.

..........Widder

Right now i carry an old school charter arms bulldog 44 special. Ideal for me Would be a 4" barreled single action in 44 special with a 1860 army grip frame. But I grew up shooting single actions, so the thumb naturally goes to the hammer.

S&W Bodyguard 380 in the summer and a Cimarron Sheriff's model birds head 44-40 in the winter.

Guest Tennessee Stud, SASS# 43634 Life

Some of you guys must live in some pretty nasty areas, or your damn paranoid

Paranoid!

ts

Happy Jack, Thanks for Your post. Living in South Texas one never knows whats around the next corner here. I can well undestand the average person may feel any caliber or gun will be all he needs if the time comes on an average subject. And perhaps a hit early in a fight may stop futher action on a averave subject.

However, Here and for damn sure futher South alone the Rio Grande the chances of running into a different kind of fight is much greater than in the average city. You can find Yourself standing alone and out in the middle of nowhere with no help close by. And in the brush or cane here You best be preparded to take on more then one or two men at a time. Here things are a whole different matter and life has little value to many around here.

I fully agreed with You about the 45 acp and for a long time I carried a 45 Colt commander and also a second one many times when I knew there could be bad trouble at a seconds notice. I now carry a Kimber ccp2 with lazor sights on it. The thing You said about a backup gun and a knife tells me You too have seen times when "Hearts beat fast and bullets flew faster" and watching a man take more than one solid death hits and never give any sing he was hit and go right on fighting til he drops from lost of blood. I know in a death fight on the ground a gun in your booth or a boot knife can be pulled eazy and used. I do agree with You and Six Gun Charley at 45 is hard to beat. One thing many men dont realize in a gunfight is how fast it starts and is over and how fast people move in a very short time. A man with a small calibe gun would be lucky to get off a death shot to the head fast before it all goes to hell and I get chills to think if I was against several armed crazy dudes and he a small or hideout gun to brind into use at the start of the fight. When I was a younger man I had no idea how fast a gunfight could be and standing next to two Old Retired Texas Rangers in a Mexican cantina against three very bad killers the fight was over so fast I never even had my gun out and three men lay dead on the dirt floor at their feet. This fight was over in one tenth of a second. There are so many things You should know if You choose to carry a gun and once You know them Your chances are far better You will be the one who walks away to face a Grand Jury or get Your ass back across the Rio Grande Pronto Fast.

Your Pard, Texas Man

Nothing like stareing down the spinning barrells of 30mm Vulcan Mini Gun. But like Texas Man and DANG WHAT A MAN nothing beats the .45 period.

Archived