SASS Wire Forum

sorta OT: what would be your perfect carry gun?(revised)

Chili Ron

Well, usually I carry one or two Ruger LCP's. Sometimes I bust out the Ruger 45lc Bisley 3" birds head in a custom Mernickle CC holster. And once in a great while the Springer 45acp stainless loaded comes out to play. As stated previously, there is no one size fits all CC choice.

buy a bunch and carry them all :D

:FlagAm:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, usually I carry one or two Ruger LCP's. Sometimes I bust out the Ruger 45lc Bisley 3" birds head in a custom Mernickle CC holster. And once in a great while the Springer 45acp stainless loaded comes out to play. As stated previously, there is no one size fits all CC choice.

buy a bunch and carry them all :D

:FlagAm:

I'm curious, could you post a picture of that "Bisley birds head"?

Some of you guys must live in some pretty nasty areas, or your damn paranoid

I think Capain Woodrow F. Call said it best. "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it".

I enjoy reading posts like this, answers range from .22 mini revolvers to .500 S&Ws. I notice that there are some people who carry different types of pistols based on how they feel. Some have safeties that move up to disengage and some go down. Some are carried inside the waist band, some outside, some in boots, and I know one lady who carries hers in her bra. I would encourage each of you to pick one pistol, one method of carry, and practice with it. Go to the range and actually draw from your concealed position, and engage the target. When it is time to actually use your self defense weapon, is not the time to try and remember where it is, and how the safety, if any works.

In cooler weather, one of my Rock Island 1911's in a Kirkpatrick shoulder holster. Other times, a SA XDs in .45 acp or Colt Pocketlight .380, both either in pocket holster or IWB holster.

Nothing's perfect. ;)

I've been carrying a Para-Ord P-12 .45 ACP for YEARS and I'm still alive. Seems pretty perfect to me. :)

+1 I generally carry a Para Ordinance LDA in 9mm or 45 acp. For more concealment a Colt DA 380.

In cool weather or when I wear a button up shirt, I carry a P13/45 in a left handed JIT slide. For dress or casual indoor I often carry a stainless Taurus 450 in a Galco left handed belt slide holster. For on stage where it's hot and the lights cook you, I've got an American Derringer M1 stainless in .45lc with no front sight in my back pocket.

On the bike it's one of the first two tucked into my riding back brace. In the truck it's likely all three.

There IS NO perfect carry weapon!!! There are weapons to suit most personal security purposes.

Howdy,

Nice birdshead ruger, very nice leather, who did the leather and

what are those grips?

Best

CR

Leather is by Mernickle, grips are burl maple 20% thinner at the top and 20% thicker at the bottom, Bisley hammer and tuning done by Gary Reader in Flagstaff Arizona.

JNW

Full sized 1911 works great most of the time, not having a PPK, make do with a PP when wearing a Tux.

There are those who believe what ever you have that you can hit what you are aiming at cannot be a bad choice.

A full load of .22 in chest and head are better than 6 - 20 misses with a 44 Mag, 45 ACP or 9mm

Back issues have pretty much eliminated all my 1911's. The one gun that goes everywhere it's legal, all the time, is a Colt Agent .38 revolver in a Mika pocket holster with a couple of speed strips. It carries easily and I shoot it very well.

As per the revision edit:

I live in Illinois also..

Talked with folks today..

He's thinkin' 6 months for the State Police to come up with training course..

Make application..

Take the course...

Then.. it goes back to them for approval ..

He's thinkin' another year before anybody see's a concealed carry license..

But....

I'm thinkin' of the Ruger LCR 38 spl +P with Crimson Trace Laser Grip..

Rance ;)

Just thinkin' ahead.. :)

It's on the lay away plan.. (3 day waiting period)

Also lookin at Rug Runner Pocket holster fer it..

again.. just thinkin'...

Why 38 cal.. well.. my thinkin' only..

I shoot that in CAS.. I've got all sorts of ammo to practice with..

and I bought 1 box of 50 +P to carry with..

uuuhhh.. when I get my CC

Edit: Wonder if other states with give resiprocal approval for Illinois CC since Illinois is not? :blush:

Howdy,

<SNIP>

And yes I meant ONE gun not one gun in the winter another if its hot

another if I wear shorts etc.

And its nice to have 19 rounds on hand but that gets heavy unless its .22 lr.

<SNIP>

As revised I'd stick to my Hi-Power in a IWB holster year round, or my K9. Either will suffice . . .

The K9 cost less and is factory stock, the HP is C&S smithed . . .

Probably the HP.......

SC

Hey Rance

I hope you have shot an LCR. They are a hand full and not a fun day at the range

Wyatt you are a poster on the SASS wire with all my respect..

and... uuuhhh.. nope.. ain't shot it..

Friend of mine says his wife has one...

It put a grouping of 5 shots at 10 yards in 3 inches..

That sounds ok to me..

I've got a S&W 38 J frame I've shot...

small grip and not fun to shoot either.. Ruger has bigger grip...

gotta be better...

but..

I don't tend to shoot it everyday..

Just practice with it and be there when needed..

Rance ;)

Thinkin'.. Thanks fer lookin' out fer me :)

Cowboy Rance is correct for other reasons as well. The LCR is not the least bit comfortable, its way to lite to be shooting even warm 38's, and they have a have a history of flame cutting the top strap above the forcing cone. You would be better served with a LCP or LC9. IMHO. :D

Howdy,

At no time did I say I wanted a gun to shoot at the range.

Im pretty sure that target guns would make clumsy carry guns.

Often threads get really tangled on this ol wire.

If I want to shoot targets Im pretty well set.

This is when I wish the initiator of a thread could delete posts.

Com on pards.

BEst

CR

ps--Mr Gattlin, It seems to me that we need to pick a gun before we can

talk about ammo. Or you could start your own discussion on self defense ammo.

That would probably work???

I have had a CHL for quite some time, Ive carried 1911s, a Ruger P85 and a few others. But they are all heavy and you tend to think .. Oh well it is just a quick trip to the store, or just to go get gas..I don't really want to put on a belt with my rig, i'll just leave it here at the house today...it will be OK... It has been stated previously, the gun that you carry under all circumstances just like your wallet.

A Kel-tec P32 with a knife clip on it and a spare mag. .Everyday Everytime. Some say that you are not carrying enough gun, but it is the one that you ARE carrying that counts.

Always Be Safe out there.

Crash

Howdy,

At no time did I say I wanted a gun to shoot at the range.

Im pretty sure that target guns would make clumsy carry guns.

Often threads get really tangled on this ol wire.

If I want to shoot targets Im pretty well set.

This is when I wish the initiator of a thread could delete posts.

Com on pards.

BEst

CR

ps--Mr Gattlin, It seems to me that we need to pick a gun before we can

talk about ammo. Or you could start your own discussion on self defense ammo.

That would probably work???

No sir ...I started a thread a number of months ago in the Saloon about asking which 9mm was good for self defense and was told by a Wild Bunch member and followed up by a moderator that the Wire forums ( including Saloon) were NOT the place to discuss that.

;)

GG

Archived