SASS Wire Forum

On a lighter note

Henry T Harrison

On a lighter note, and not to hijack J. Bars thread what is the most useless working firearm in your safe? You know the one that lies in the bottom of the safe just taking up space, the one you have no idea why you have it.

I have several that fit that criteria but two that stand out as almost totally useless are first a twist barrel .22 derringer of rather low quality and miserable accuracy.

The second is actually a Colt, but it is a Colt Jr. made by Astra in .22 SHORT! It’s cute and functions well but good for noting bigger that a rat and .22 short ammo isn’t cheap

Albeit they are all lacking adequate attention, I can honestly say that none of my fire arms are useless. I GAVE away a Winchester .22 that I could not get to feed properly. It was a "bargain gun" that didn't quite work out in the bargain department. There are a few that I would like to have back, but I guess seller's remorse is common enough.

Due to lack of need a few could probably go to new homes, but for now, things are just ducky here at the plantation.

Hmmmm. I have a .38 derringer that's primarily for costume, an occaisional side match. Think I'd rather have a bowie knife if I were in a fight. Also have an XP-100 silhouette pistol in 7mm BR. Not good for much except silhouette shooting.

JHC

I am so totally going to steal this great idea for another gun board!

My useless gun: A Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag. It's a great gun, but I'm totally useless with it: I can't hit the broadside of Rosie O'Donnell's butt with the 7 1/2" Ruger. The stock grips are so small (curse Bill Ruger and his tiny little girlie hands) that I can't control the gun. And it hurts: probably creating a flinch too.

<Sigh>

I occasionally run across it when mucking out the safe. I keep telling my self: new grips, .44 Specials, learn to shoot it, work up the skills at the range... Then I put it back in the sock and push it again to the back of the safe.

<Sigh>

Well before you said 'working' I'd have said the nickel plated pocket pistol with the real mother of pearl grips, but even after a trip to the gunsmith and five minutes back in my hands, it doesn't work.

But, useless only because I don't have any ammo for it would be the double action 45 Colt Colt revolver that was handed down to me from my grandfather handed down to me. I think it's a 1916, it has the lanyard ring and is stamped USMC. After that would be a drop breach single shot rifle that weighs about 20 pounds that I don't even know what caliber it is, cooler than all get out though.

Wow, just goes to show you that one persons useless is another's wow. 7br xp100 works wonders on vermin at exciting distances WOW-- No particular fan of 44 mags but many people think that smaller grips enhance control. Hey now, I got ammo for a 1916 DA Colt and real like to shoot them. a 20lb falling block should be ringing steel at very long ranges love that as well.

Now that said I have a starters pistol that is useless to me, the kids are grown and not running track anymore.

Merry Christmas all

12 - It's on my list to shoot both of them critters. Gonna have to slug the barrel and maybe cast the chamber to figure out that rifle first though.

Grizz, just throw something into the chamber and if it works you're good to go, if it doesn't...well you'll know not to try that cartridge again. :lol:;)

I hate to admit it, but there is a Jennings .22Auto in my safe. But I didn't buy it, my mother bought it years ago.

I've have about 10+ pocket pistols bought through the years. One is a 5 shot .38 S&W cal, nickel plated, double action only. I took it out to shoot, loaded 5 rounds and ...Click.....click.....click...no Bang. Looks like the hammer mounted firing pin protruds through the frame far enough...no bang. Until I get it figured out....it's a paper weight.

Jake

My dad gave me this one with the comment, "Don't ever shoot anybody with it. You're liable to make them real mad." The gun was given to my dad back in the early 30's by his Uncle Vern who was a lawyer who got disbarred for trying to bribe a jury. Uncle Vern then became a fight promoter working the county fair circuits with "professional" wrestling. From what we've been told, he was not above "fixing" a fight. No telling where he picked up the gun originally. He had the reputation of frequenting some questionable establishments. Apparently, Aunt Hazel caught him sneaking in early one morning from a romp at a local brothel. Aunt Hazel was 8-months pregnant and not happy. It's an old .25 auto.

Uncle Vern's Brothel Special

"Useless" doesn't necessarily equate to "worthless"...

This LIBERATOR is about as useless as it gets. It's beeen shot six times with some powder puff loads using light cast bullets.

THESE FOUR are pretty useless too.

I've got a Sterling .22 auto around here somewhere that is both useless AND worthless, but it'll shoot... once or sometimes even twice without jamming. :lol:

"Useless" doesn't necessarily equate to "worthless"...

This LIBERATOR is about as useless as it gets. It's beeen shot six times with some powder puff loads using light cast bullets.

THESE FOUR are pretty useless too.

I've got a Sterling .22 auto around here somewhere that is both useless AND worthless, but it'll shoot... once or sometimes even twice without jamming. :lol:/>

Your right on that one maybe I should have worded the question more like what gun in your safe leaves you scratching your head and asking What the hell was I thinking?

I am so totally going to steal this great idea for another gun board!

My useless gun: A Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag. It's a great gun, but I'm totally useless with it: I can't hit the broadside of Rosie O'Donnell's butt with the 7 1/2" Ruger. The stock grips are so small (curse Bill Ruger and his tiny little girlie hands) that I can't control the gun. And it hurts: probably creating a flinch too.

<Sigh>

I occasionally run across it when mucking out the safe. I keep telling my self: new grips, .44 Specials, learn to shoot it, work up the skills at the range... Then I put it back in the sock and push it again to the back of the safe.

<Sigh>

Pachmayer grips will make a world of difference in how it shoots. It don't look as purty, but they give you more to hold and cover that square corner on the trigger guard...

"Useless" doesn't necessarily equate to "worthless"........This LIBERATOR is about as useless as it gets. It's beeen shot six times with some powder puff loads using light cast bullets. .......

Is that Liberator an orignial one? I know someone made some reproductions a while back. I always thought they were interesting. I saw an original one in pretty bad shape when I was a kid living overseas.

MY OWN most "worthless" gun is a Stevens single shot rifle in caliber .32 Rimfire Short. This is small lever action rifle. It has a stock that was replaced in the distant past. I have half a box of ammo for the thing. The ammo is probably worth more than the gun.

Is that Liberator an orignial one? I know someone made some reproductions a while back. I always thought they were interesting. I saw an original one in pretty bad shape when I was a kid living overseas.

Yep. I acquired it before the repros ever came out. I have the original instruction sheet too. Probably worth almost as much as the pistol, lol.

I've got a Charter Arms AR-7 a guy gave to me for some leather work. It functions, but it shoots soooo far to the right that moving the front sight until it was barely in the dovetail didn't help. :angry:/>

Oh yeah, before I got it, a previous owner replaced the thumbscrew holding the stock on with a BOLT! :blink:/>/>

My Charter AR7 is exactly the same way! I took the rear sight off, soldered the hole up, and drilled another hole off center to the left a little in addition to moving the front sight waaaay over to the right. It also functions much much better with high velocity stuff like Stingers.

A Belgian-made Bulldog revolver that I bought years ago for next to nothing, and for a reason I have completely forgotten. Oddly, it chambers .38 S&W. It had a very heavy trigger pull in double action, and would, without fail, fire every other time the trigger was pulled. Ran nine rounds through it and on the tenth, the hammer literally broke in half and fell on the ground. It now sits disassembled & oiled in an ancient sealed Tupperware container awaiting the day when I either locate or fabricate a replacement hammer...if ever...can't get much more useless than that!

CS

A Belgian-made Bulldog revolver that I bought years ago for next to nothing, and for a reason I have completely forgotten. Oddly, it chambers .38 S&W. It had a very heavy trigger pull in double action, and would, without fail, fire every other time the trigger was pulled. Ran nine rounds through it and on the tenth, the hammer literally broke in half and fell on the ground. It now sits disassembled & oiled in an ancient sealed Tupperware container awaiting the day when I either locate or fabricate a replacement hammer...if ever...can't get much more useless than that!

CS

Now THAT sounds like a terriffic candidate for one of those feel-good gun "buy-backs"!! :lol:

Well, two be truthful......don't own a useless workin' gun..........

All mine work just fine !

Pachmayer grips will make a world of difference in how it shoots. It don't look as purty, but they give you more to hold and cover that square corner on the trigger guard...

Pachmayr Grips For Ruger Super Blackhawk

Thanks! I might just have to reform that "useless" gun!

Thanks again for the tip.

I got a 14 gauge Martini-Greener single shot shotgun. It will fire a 16 gauge shell ... and then ... you have to stay inside your house and wait for your eyebrows to grow back. ph34r.gif/>

He he he he he !

Dat I wood like da see ! lol

I have a morph gun that doesn't work. It's a .32 H&R snub nose. The cylinder doesn't revolve. I've had a couple of folks look at it and they can't figure out why. Next time I hear about a gun buy-back program, they can have it.

I have a morph gun that doesn't work. It's a .32 H&R snub nose. The cylinder doesn't revolve. I've had a couple of folks look at it and they can't figure out why. Next time I hear about a gun buy-back program, they can have it.

Dat makes darn good sense, Kris !

How ya doin' Darlin '?

I have a Connecticut Arms Company "Hammond Bulldog" .44 single shot pistol. I paid $7.50 for it 30 years ago, and only gave that much because it's fairly rare and looks great. This one is one of a very few factory nickel plated guns, has really great grips and the finish is excellent...so why is it useless? Because some jackass threw away most of the innards, planed a flat spot on the heel of the grip and drilled and tapped a hole there, filled the inside with some kind ok cement stuff, and screwed it to a lamp base as a decoration.

I cleaned it up and hung it on the wall, because it looks so darn cool, but over all the years I haven't been able to find any parts to restore it, or even pictures of the guts so I could try to make them.

Don't own, nor ever had a "useless" firearm, but rather firearms I no longer need. At present have a 45-70 Trapdoor original rifle I no longer shoot and a 7 1/2 Cimarron 7th cavalry SA, BP frame, I only shot once that I will get rid off.

If truly the word "useless" comes up on a firearm I owned which was everything and of all thing a problem that I sold it almost as soon as I acquired it, would be a Grease gun. Never completed a clip without problems. I loved it, but was so quirky, wasn't fun anymore. MT

Pachmayr Grips For Ruger Super Blackhawk

Thanks! I might just have to reform that "useless" gun!

Thanks again for the tip.

Funny how they say Grips for a Ruger Super Blackhawk and the link shows a Ruger super REDHAWK. Big Dummies.

Jake

Archived