SASS Wire Forum

Sunday nite football going Anti-Gun

Widder, SASS #59054

One of the commentators on Sunday Nite football wanted to let everyone know that if people didn't have guns, then that Kansas City Chiefs football player and his girlfriend would still be alive. I 'think' it was Bob Costner (edit: COSTAS). Anyhow, it was about as ignorant of a statement as you could imagine.

People have been killing people since Cain killed Abel. And David didn't need a gun to put a hurtin of Goliath. He was a professional rock chucker on the scale of Ernest T Bass.

If people didn't misuse drugs and drive, then one of our seniors at the local high school would also be alive. All she wanted to do was drive home and get her pom-poms for the dance team. Another local idiot wanted to drive on her side of the road.

If ignorance was bliss, most of these commentators would be a big blister.

I bet if he had made such a statement in front of alot of other NFL players who hunt, shoot and own firearms, one of them would have shut his mouth.

..........Widder

NBC.

The statement was part of a commentary during halftime in reference to the recent tragedy of an NFL player committing murder and suicide.

..........Widder

Somehow I'm not surprised,NBC,MSNBC,just saying.

Adios Sgt. Jake

A guy in Casper Wyoming didn't use a gun. Three people are just as dead, Mr. Costas.

The sad thing is there's plenty of victims of domestic violence out there that have been hurt and killed without a gun being involved, and idiots like Costas want the emphasis to be put on getting rid of guns instead of getting rid of violent behavior....all the gun control in the world is not going to protect these women (and in some cases men) from psycho partners.

Costas was quoting what the coach of the Chiefs said. Still inappropriate IMHO.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8697360/kansas-city-chiefs-jovan-belcher-kills-girlfriend-commits-suicide-police-say

his quoting,and agreeing wtih the statement turned me off,so I turned the game off.. AND let my local channel know to pass it along that his remarks were out of bounds for his job..

it's all over the 'net now,and thousands of pro-gun people are ripping him a new one. good for us !!

Are you mad about this? Are you willing to do somethingabout it? Here is the contact info for NBC maybe write the people a quicklittle email voicing your feelings and beliefs like a grown up .NBC SportsGroup

(212) 664-4539

Fax: (212) 664-6035

Project Assignment:

leslie.byxbee@nbcuni.com

Adam Freifeld

Vice President, Communications

NBC Sports Group

(212) 664-6772

Project Assignment: "2012 London Olympics" ,"The Belmont Stakes" , "The French Open" , "NFLKickoff Special 2012" , "The Preakness Stakes" , "NBCSunday Night Football" , "Super Bowl XLVI" , "The KentuckyDerby" , "The 'Lights"

adam.freifeld@nbcuni.com

Greg Hughes

Senior Vice President, Corporate Communications

NBC Sports Group

(212) 664-6111

Project Assignment:

greg.hughes@nbcuni.com

Nisa Kiang

Communications Assistant

NBC Sports Group

(212) 413-6837

Project Assignment:

nisa.kiang@nbcuni.com

Carol Ko

Director, Corporate Communications

NBC Sports Group

(212) 664-6256

Project Assignment:

carol.ko@nbcuni.com

Chris McCloskey

Vice President, Communications

NBC Sports Group

(212) 664-5598

Project Assignment: "2012 London Olympics" ,"Football Night in America" , "National Hockey League" ,"Notre Dame Football" , "PGA Tour" , "Ryder Cup", "Senior PGA Championship" , "U.S. Open & USGAChampionships" , "Costas Tonight "

christopher.mccloskey@nbcuni.com

Alex Rozis

Director, Communications

NBC Sports Group

(212) 664-4154

Project Assignment:

Alex.rozis@nbcuni.com

Are you mad about this? Are you willing to do somethingabout it? Here is the contact info for NBC maybe write the people a quicklittle email voicing your feelings and beliefs like a grown up .NBC SportsGroup

(212) 664-4539

Project Assignment:

leslie.byxbee@nbcuni.com

Thanks for the info, BK, but do you actually believe the folks pay any attention to email that goes against their liberal agenda? :unsure:/>

I'd tell you my real feelings about football (expecially the TV "personalities" involved in broadcasts), but then I'd get banned. Thanks for info Brother King, I'll make those remarks directly to them. And if you don't think your comment will have an impact... don't bother. But, like other things in life, if you don't ask, how're they to say yes? If you don't inform someone of your concerns, how are they going to know that their behavior or comments are unwelcome?

Yea, well while your at it, send a letter off to FOX Sports as well. They are part of the 'liberal press' as you say (except they are way conservative!) as they said basically the same thing on FOX sports Sunday...just sayin...

A guy in Casper Wyoming didn't use a gun. Three people are just as dead, Mr. Costas.

In Bob Costas's world, those three deaths weren't 'gun deaths', so they don't matter.....

I guess I can presume that Costas is now against The Constitutional rights of individuals? hmmmm.

I think I'll be against Free Speech and ban Costas from anymore TV appearances. That should even things up alittle.

..........Widder

Done! Sent an email to all of them this morning.

Jason Whitlock

Joven Belcher - 6'2" 228 lbs. Used to a lifetime of violent physical contact and getting what he wants. I'm sure if he wouldn't have had a gun he would have just patted his girlfriend on the head. <_<

Jason Whitlock

Joven Belcher - 6'2" 228 lbs. Used to a lifetime of violent physical contact and getting what he wants. I'm sure if he wouldn't have had a gun he would have just patted his girlfriend on the head. <_</>/>

Written by someone (Whitlock)that probably can't pass the background check.

And a pat on the head is probably not going to satisfy anyone set in motion to harm.

It doesn't matter who originally said it. It didn't belong in the middle of the broadcast. These guys need to stick to talking football. They obviously don't know about anything else.

+1

GG ~ :FlagAm:/>

I just sent Mr. Whitlock and his employer an email regarding his comments, next will be the sponsor's, I also sent one to the people listed by Brother King. I do not expect it to be listened to, but maybe if we all would display our feelings on the matter they might listen a little!

I just sent Mr. Whitlock and his employer an email regarding his comments, next will be the sponsor's, I also sent one to the people listed by Brother King. I do not expect it to be listened to, but maybe if we all would display our feelings on the matter they might listen a little!

I just did the same thing.

Whitlock said, "How many young people have to die senselessly? How many lives have to be ruined before we realize the right to bear arms doesn’t protect us from a government equipped with stealth bombers, predator drones, tanks and nuclear weapons?"

I think the soldiers who have been in Vietnam and the Gulf Wars can attest that small arms and a will to fight can overcome any modern warfare technology!

JEL

Last week, a feller killed his father and fathers girlfriend. Then himself.

He killed his fathers girlfriend with a knife, shot his father in the head with an arrow and then stabbed him, AND then committed suicide by stabbing himself with his own knife.

Maybe Bob Costas doesn't have any sentiments towards these killings because it didn't involve a Superstar or Sports figure. Or, it wasn't committed with a firearm.

It just goes to show how SHALLOW some of these commentators really are.

I hope they kick him off the air.

..........Widder

I saw that last night and could'nt believe what I heard :huh: . So I rewound it just to be sure, yep that's what I heard :wacko: . Turned off the ball game and put on a Randolph Scott movie. No more Sunday night football fer me. :)

Jefro :ph34r:

Bro King:

Thanks for those email addresses.

I emailed 4 of them with a very nice and professional comment concerning Costas and SNF.

I also recommended that Costas find a new profession.

..........Widder

In my view it was completely inappropriate. I don't need Bob Costas to lecture me about anything, especially during a football game. He is a sportscaster and a good one, but he doesn't have any right to use his position as a sportscaster to pontificate about morality or gun control. His opinions are no more worthy than mine or anyone else's, unfortunately celebrity often goes to a person's head.

Very sad that their celebrity status does give them a platform BUT guys it would not be allowed if their sponsors did not support and endorse those opinions as well. I will say one thing for a liberal, when he supports a cause he does it with conviction and is willing to go to the brink in support of that belief. We on the other hand are almost never willing to actually stand up fr a cause. Had this been an equivalent diatribe from the other side, it would not be over until the individual was fired. For what it is worth they did bring it up and take exception to it today on 'The Five'. Most of their remarks mirrored those posted here.

There actually is quite a back lash on sports and non-sports related shows suggesting that this on -air opinion of his was an in appropriate use of his celebrity status and not the opinion of NBC. Sometimes these anti-gun guys do us a service by spouting off like as the general populous has taken the other side of the fight!

On ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" tonight, co-host Mike Wilbon was first to respond to the question "Should KC have played the game one day after..." Instead of either defending the NFL, or lambasting it as he usually does, he waffled for 10-15 seconds, then launched into a defense of Costas and Whitlock and their point of view. At that point I hit the TV power button, said "Goodbye PTI," and sent an e-mail to ESPN questioning Wilbon's journalistic integrity (never answered the posed question, but switched the argument)and informing them that after years of viewing, I was done with PTI. Also set an e-mail informing Crown Royal that their advertising would no longer reach me through PTI.

Received a response from ESPN informing me my comments would be passed on to Wilbon and the "appropriate executives", so I replied to that...Think I'll hear from them again?

CS

Archived