SASS Wire Forum

Who still goes to a real barbershop?

In our community of 1200 people, we have one barbershop...Bob's. There's a barber pole out front. There's a bench inside where you might find a few guys sitting, but not waiting for a haircut...just visiting. Bob still uses hot lather and a straight razor to shave the back of your neck. He also still gives hot-towel shaves and emphasizes that he doesn't do women's hair. He charges twelve bucks, but the haircut and local news that goes along with it is worth way more than the price.

After getting my haircut the other day, I started wondering, in this day of cosmetologists, hair boutiques, and large-chain hair joints, how many still get their haircut from a real barber?

I do! I do! :lol:

I go to Morgan's Barber Shop, just a couple blocks from work. Owner/barber is Robert. ( :huh: )

Haircut, fifteen bucks. (Hey... it's California).

Good political commentary, no charge.

Someone stole his barber pole, though. :(

Yep...I go to Charlie's in town. $12.00 (plus tip) and still the old way :wub: There are 2 REAL barber shops in Cortez, and both still cut hair the traditional way. Lots of "Hair Solons" that cut mens hair too, but not the reaL BARBER SHOP WAY :o FORGOT TO SAY...Charlie is a lady :D

We got "Dick's barber shop" been there since the 40's, Dick has one chair and whatever you tell him how you want your cut, he cuts it the same way. I went in and he said "how do you want your hair cut?"

I said, "lop sided on this side, a bald spot the size of a quarter in the back, short over here and 6 long strands coming down the back"

He said " I can't cut your hair like that!"

I said " you did it last time I was here"

My brother was in town a few years ago and was heading to a wedding, he went down and asked for a trim, he came back with the regular boys cut, looked like he was 7 years old, I asked him if he got a pretzel with that cut.

I actually go to a hot blonde that has been cutting my hair for the past 15 years, she still looks good and is more entertaining then the the old geezers hanging around Dicks.

My wife shaves my neck, I haven't had a real haircut in years. (my hair is a bit long). That's the way she likes it, so that's the way I wear it.

Cash (24" ponytail) Duckett

Even in our big city (Indianapolis) we have Red's Barbershop in the downtown business district. It resembles a 1930's establishment with lot's of brass fixtures, old style chairs and hot lather/straight razor shaves. They make the comment that they "Cut hair, not style it". ;)

LD

The Bank Barber Shop. Father and son cut hair there. Son has a shaved head, and I've sworn several times that he's been tryin' to change my hair to "his style" since I started goin' there. :)

$9 (they went up in January from $8).

Still uses hot lather and straight razor. The gun mags and Field & Streams are probably 10+ years old. Just the way I like it. :)

Chick

I did until my daughter got her Hair Dresser's License and is professionally plying her craft in a salon....

No, I don't go to the salon.... I get my High and Tight at her house.....

Some 20 years ago I'd go to Pete's BS, in Vallejo. Just a short walk from home...

I'd go on Saturdays. Pete always opened at 0600 on Saturdays. I've gotten there as early as 0515 and was NEVER first in line. :(

Sure 'nuff... at 0605 somebody'd open the door and stop stock-still in the doorway, greeted by the sight of all the "waiting chairs" full.

Pete would look at the guy and say "Dang, Ralph!" [or whoever]... "Ya missed the free donuts!"

I miss Pete's... ^_^

Bob & Earls - $10

3 chairs

Hot lather and straight razor on the back of my neck

Don't know what kind of shave lotion they use there, but it even smells "old timey"

And the best part, if'n I stop on the way home from work, they have "Bonanza" on tv

Johnny

When and if I go, have found barber that does it the old way with clean-up with straigth blade (doing it for more tha 40 years). I remember back in the 60's of the old shop where I could get a flattop for $1.25 and place a bet on a racehorse.

Ha! Barbers left my life when I stopped wearing a flat top in jr. high school.....

For years after, I went to a "stylist" who did razor cuts, blow drying and still used hot lather and a straight razor around the edges.

Now, I go to the same salon that my wife uses. A beautiful young woman shampoos my hair and massages my scalp (don't knock it until you try it; immediate stress relief), and then nicely styles my hair. Now, if I could persuade them to install some wide screens, a billiards table and a humidor, I'd be in heaven.

I do miss a hot shave and the smell of witch hazel...but I don't miss crew cuts and butch wax.

LL

Been going to the same Barbershop for over 20+ years.

Would not think about going some place else, I might miss something.

Been going to the same barber (Fred) ever since 1983. Needless to say, he doesn't have to ask me "How do you want it cut". He still uses hot lather and a straight razor also for the back of your neck.....sometimes trims you eyebrows too. From some folks I've seen, they could use an eyebrow trim when they visit the barber.

Sun

When up in the city went to the same place for 34 years then retired. Down in the kountry go to Larry's where ya meet Larry, Jerry, Terry, & Jim. $10 a head, yep straight razer fer the neck around the ears and that fu-fu juice slapped on ya when they finish. The ole red, white, blue spinning thing out front and all the town gossip inside along with the scanner going fer all the action around the county. News papers, magazines, and the tv set ta "price is rite" or "Andy of Mayberry". Gotta love it! :lol:

Don't have one around that I know of. As a kid, I went to ARCHIE'S. 3 chairs. I was in there one day and the guy waiting was staring at me (I was about 15). When I got out of the chair, the guy asked me if my dad was Bud and did he go to Washington Hi in L.A. I answered yes. The guy hadn't seen my dad since high school. Ya, I really look like my dad.

TF

Yep I go to Sam's barber shop $17 for hair cut. He bought it from the old guy Archie, he was there when I started going there in 1977, still uses hot foam and straight razor and gives a head message. Does a great job. Calls me and my wife by our first names.

I went to Ivan's Barber Shop until last year when Ivan and Bill both retired. Call ahead for a time, but they both would recognize me on the phone. Practically the same cut every time, just a little shorter or longer depending on if I had drill or annual training coming up. Hot lather and straight razor on the neck and ears and a splash of either Clubman or Master Blue.

The place is now owned by Mike, a young guy that knows the latest styles, and a cosmotologist named Jenni. They do a fine job, but it just isn't the same.

My Barber Shop Story:

I was stationed at the Safeguard Site in North Dakota. One very, very cold winter day I was sitting in a barber shop in Langdon, ND. The old men sitting around just visiting and talking about how cold the weather was. I eventually asked, "Tell gentlemen, what's good about this cold weather here?" One old feller said rather slowly, "Well.....it keeps the riff-raff out." :o

Come to think of it, I didn't see any homeless hobos sleeping under bridges in North Dakota! B)

No close barbershop. I just whack at it myself. I figgered I'd been watchin them cut it in the mirror for years..how hard could it be?

Up until I retired in '02, I went to a fella that had a small, one-man shop out in front of his house. Had gone to him when he was part of a three man shop for many years prior. His one man shop had limited hours - whenever he felt like opening or wanted company! He cut hair just enough to support his and his wife's RV habit - they had a big ole fifth wheel that they liked to take on weekend trips. Saw him just the other month - we were both at the ortho doc (hehehehe - gettin' older!) and he said he's still cuttin' hair. He must be in his mid-80's now. Sure do miss the conversation and the smells of that place - there's nothing in the world that smells like an honest-to-goodness barber shop. :D

I've cut my own hair for years and I suddenly got tired of it. It's a big pain in the A$%...so.......a shooter that comes to the range I work at part time is a barber. A real barber! His shop is complete with outdoor magazines, a 50" TV and lots of gun talk. Oh yea and he's a great barber. $10.00, he uses a straight razor on the back of your neck too. Ol', Hector is a good dude!

Rye, who has a slick looking haircut now!

I went to the same barber since 1988, but he had the nerve to die on me a couple of years ago. I miss that ol' boy. One chair shop, with the barber pole, straight razor, witch hazel, creaky wooden floors, a two-man saw on the wall for decoration, stacks of hunting mags years out of date, an old hound laying in the corner, and Rush Limbaugh on the radio. It was like stepping into a Norman Rockwell painting.

I go to a Barber school! Decent enough haircut for me. $6.00! Of course the instructor is there to supervise, but the kids would have to really work at it to screw my head up. At least any more that I have.

It gives me a chance to wax politically to young folks who need the information. Surprisingly, most of them are on the right side of things.Since there is a constant flow of new students, I get to spread the word around.

Archived