SASS Wire Forum

Do you lube your 45 Colt casings before loading?

Tucumcari Tim

I bought some 45 Colt casings from Star Line Brass to load and was wondering if these should be lubed prior to loading. My reason for the question is that they apparently seem to be a little larger and take a pretty stout effort in the sizing die. I am using a Dillon 650 with their dies. I have taken once shot brass (Star Line) and sized it and it is much smoother than new. Is my sizing die tight or is it just because they are new.

As you are all aware, once fired 45 Colt brass is sometimes hard to find, and if found, priced like gold casings.

I have always been able to get once fired brass in other calibers over the years and have never encountered this, so your input is appreciated.

Thanks,

TT

I use RCBS carbide dies so no lubing is necessary - I will admit that brand new Starline brass is a little more difficult on the lever retraction on the expanding die.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Especially on new brass. After tumbling my brass--separate media--lube with Franklin Arsenal spray lightly--let it sit for about an hour--dry excess off--get after it. No problems encountered. IMHO

Capt Hill B)

I have a Dillon 650 with Dillon dies with carbide sizer for .45 Colt. I use both Starline and Winchester brass. The Starline is slightly more difficult to size than the Winchester, most likely because the Winchester has thinner walls. I do not lube the brass. I can't recall if the Starline was more difficult to size when new. You can certainly lube it anytime, but you could try lubing the first time you use the new brass, and it should be fine during future reloads.

I thought it was just me. During the winter's reloading, I got to the end of my used brass and broke open a box of new Starline and immediately began working on a hernia as I put the cases through the sizing die. Never thought of lubing every fifth or so case; I'll have to remember that. Thanks!

TT - Your experience is normal.

Hit it with a shot of Hornady One-Shot spray lube. Starline is stout brass (and does indeed have thicker walls than Winchester), and it does size down some when starting out with new factory brass. Even with carbide dies, most presses will run easier and smoother if the brass is lubed, even if it's only one out of five.

Good luck, GJ

I found new Starline brass to be considerably oversized, and unlubed it will test the quality of your press mount. They don't have to be lubed with your carbide dies but it is night and day on required effort when you do lube them. I just throw the brass in a very large zip lock bag, spray a few sprays of Midsouths house brand spray lube in the bag and shake. Works great and takes far less effort. I wipe them down if needed when I box them up. I tried spraying them in a rack,open end up, but didn't like the spray getting inside the cases.

SS

A quick, light coat of spray lube works wonders. Sooo much less effort. You do not NEED to lubricate with carbide dies, but do a side by side test for yourself and see the difference. It's easier on the brass also. It's hard to lube every 5th case with a Dillon case feeder, so I lube 'em all.

CR

FYI A few years ago I asked a Dillon tech about lubing the brass with my 550 and 45Colt cases. The tech advised that since the 45Colt is a large case they should always be lubed even with carbide dies. So I use the one shot spray lube and have not had any problems. After loaded if you want just remember to wipe down the cases to remove the case lube as suggested by one shot (keeps brass cleaner for brass pickers). DD

I generally give the brass a couple of sprays of aerosol lube after I put the cases in the auto-feeder for the Dillon 650. I didn't know that Dillon advised this, I just noticed that I was less tired after loading if the cases were lubed.

If you want to build up your arm muscles then don't lube the cases. :lol:

I use a Dillon 550 & have found that with new brass, a little smear of lube inside the case mouth helps as much or more than lubing the whole case. Resizing doesn't take all that much effort, but pulling the case off of the expander ball is a real mother. I had this happen first with Cowboy 45 Special brass. Since it was new, I didn't tumble it & it was like someone posted earlier, a real hernia maker to pull the case off the expander. I took some Lyman lube & a Q-tip, smeared just a touch in every 3rd case & that took care of the problem. Tumbler media dust or the polish that I add to the media seems to do the job when I am loading fired cases.

HAD

If you want to build up your arm muscles then don't lube the cases. :lol:

I must be the odd man out - never have a problem with anything with the 45 Colt except maybe the expander die with new cases only. No lube, no prob...

My press is a simple Lee Classic turret...

...and I ain't no Popeye....but I am's what I am's. :D

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I give a couple of spritzes in the case feeder after dumping .45 Colt cases in it. It makes loading a few thousand rounds a lot easier. If you didn't, you'd have to trim the cases after all that stretching you'd do. :lol:

I use carbide dies and only lube brand spanking new cases. No need to lube after they have been through the tumbler. I don't use much lube at all. Like Brillcream a little dab will do you.

TT - Your experience is normal.

Hit it with a shot of Hornady One-Shot spray lube. Starline is stout brass (and does indeed have thicker walls than Winchester), and it does size down some when starting out with new factory brass. Even with carbide dies, most presses will run easier and smoother if the brass is lubed, even if it's only one out of five.

Good luck, GJ

What Joe said, a little shot of Hornady One Shot goes a long way, even with carbides it runs smooooth. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

I use Hornady One Shot on my .45 colts/schofield. It makes my reloading experience much more enjoyable. I tend to reload in large batches and if doing over a 500 .38's I will lube those as well. It's not a must but why not make it a bit easier on yourself.

New brass has a preservative on it that should be removed by tumbling or lube before loading.

NEVER seen a manufacturer or loading manual state that preservative is present, which they would recommend removing before loading. Can you tell us what authority recommended this? I've never cleaned new brass before loading.

Good luck, GJ

I use Hornady One Shot on my .45 colts/schofield. It makes my reloading experience much more enjoyable. I tend to reload in large batches and if doing over a 500 .38's I will lube those as well. It's not a must but why not make it a bit easier on yourself.

You do reload a lot...got to with what you put into the game. Your probably 1000 rounds per my 10 if not more. :D

Good luck in GA by the way.

GG

I have started rubbing a homemade wonder wad (2parts Beeswax 1 part mutton tallow and a couple of tablespoons of EVO in a batch made with 1 tub of Dixie Mutton Tallow) around the case mouth every 8 - 10 shells. With 44 mags it certainly makes the lever pull a lot easier. A little bit goes a long way

Yup-a couple spritzes with a non petroleum based lubricant-Dillon and Hornady come to mind-makes things so much nicer.

I loaded a thousand Top Brass that were very difficult on the up stroke (new brass) traced it to the belling of the case mouth.

The second thousand wasn't a problem, led me to wonder if they were annealed properly.

Doc

Guest Hoss Carpenter, SASS Life 7843

Nope; I use carbide dies too and have never lubed them; No problem.

Hoss C.

Yep! Every case, every time. Starline exclusively. Very few split-mouth cases from overworking the brass and my cases last forever or until they just get too short to reload. Two 550B's and no tendinitis.

Safe trails,

CKid

Hey TT,

My experience too with high effort for new starline 45 colt AND cowboy 45 special. BUT, it's only the first load because the brass seems to soften with repeated reloads. Can be a good and bad thing. The offset pressure for a new case is 7000 pounds (the pressure to expand the case to the chamber wall). Sort of instantaneous when the primer pops. Then, the bullet moves out of the case and the brass pulls back. If'n yer shooting hot loads, this may be akin to weakening the chamber because the case offset is reduced with repeated reloading. Might be a good reason to do new brass in antique guns. Also, a good thing to do reduced loads in cowboy reloads brass. Maybe thank Starline for making proper brass?

Again, my experience is that the Dillon tumble liquid leaves a coating on brass that is akin to a case lube that reduces reloading effort. The reason I don't like high effort is that it may be a sign of progressive press error that needs attention. My opinion is to lube the critters for the first reload! Make it easy on yer body and the reloader.

Joy T Brew

Thanks for the replies from everyone. I just wanted to see if I was alone in this. Apparently not. I'll start lubing the virgin brass and see how that works. I appreciate the help from all of you.

TT

Nope; I use carbide dies too and have never lubed them; No problem.

Hoss C.

+1

You guys try it once, you'll like it. I used to think the same, but I'm a convert to a little lube.

CR

Lee Classic Turret Press, .45 Colt Star Line brass, quick spritz of Franklin Arsenal spray in a zip-loc baggie, shake well and let dry/wipe down. Allows for a more harmonious outcome whilst reloading.

Archived