SASS Wire Forum

Who reads the shooters stage description book

Blastmaster

On the Wire, practically this week, we have talked about Target Size & Distance, Target Shapes and Scenerios and sweeps possible being to touch. All good topics.

Todays topic is,,,, who or should I say, what percentage of the shooters actually reads the stage description in THEIR SHOOTER HANDBOOK,, before it is read to them by the PM at the stage, when provided to them, and obviously at annual and above matches? Yer on your own at monthlys.

I don't want to hear about all the poor written stage descriptions, yes there are bad ones out there but likewise, a whole bunch of excellent written stage descriptions too. I just want to know what percentage (guesstimate) actually reads and trys to understand the written stage description pre match. Just perhaps, if majority of people did read and try to understand the stage before match day, then those "different" sweeps mentioned on the other thread wouldn't be such brain teaser or P traps.

Thanks,

Blastmaster

I'll read the stages I'm gonna be shootin the next day.. that night I'll read the stages for the next day...

Mainly to see if there's any quirky stages to think about.. I might make a mental note so when the stage comes up.. I tell myself.. Ok.. it's this one..

I don't try to get them engrained into my ol' brain.. Why?

I've seen many times on the day of shootin' the stage has been change.. for some reason or another...

I don't have a problem with it because it ain't branded into my ol' brain anyhow :blush:

I seem to have just as good as luck understanding the stage when it's read by the RO on the stage..

Rance <_<

Just the way I do it :blush:

Oh yeah.. original question.. I guess I do read the book.. at least part of it..

Always read the match and range rules.. :)

Most everyone I know reads the book for major shoots and a whole lot study the heck out of the stages they will be shooting the night before. Many also download monthly club stages, for the many that provide them and print and read/study them also. This is a competition and whatever gives a shooter an edge is fair and legal.

Most everyone I know reads the book for major shoots and a whole lot study the heck out of the stages they will be shooting the night before. Many also download monthly club stages, for the many that provide them and print and read/study them also. This is a competition and whatever gives a shooter an edge is fair and legal.

+1, yep,that is me

I not only read them, I take them back to the club and use the stages in our monthly matches. Exposes the members to others types of stages and presentations so they are less surprised when get the chance to shot at other clubs.

I take registration packet back to the motel/B&B and read from cover to cover.

Don't memorize the stage instructions for two reasons.

1) May be last minute improvements causing me to try and forget what I had memorized.

2) My long term memory ain't that good no more.

I take the shooters book and depending on the match, either read it or study it.

A loosey goosey match - I will just read it to see what kinds of things they have in mind.

A quality match, say Winter Range, I can be pretty well assured what is in the book is what we are going to shoot.

That shooters book; I will study, disect and make notes. (my shooters books are a mess of unreadable scribbles and various arrows denoting movements by the time a match is over)

I will choreograph my movements, transitions, long gun staging and breakdown any sweep sequences that might be problematic.

I will also sit down with my friends who are shooting and invite their input and ideas on attacking the stages as well.

At the hotels breakfast table over bowls of Froot Loops and "Make it yourself" waffles, we will again discuss that days stages.

Does it help? Who knows, but I always feel more prepared when I have put in the effort.

I'll read it before the stage. Mostly to see if there is a better way to move, transition, stage guns than what I first thought. Then I ask the berm marshalls if what I'm thinking is legal. Yep, I have been accused of gaming it, but I gotta take every advantage I can get to try and stay out of last place.

Hi Blastmaster,

I always do at annual matches. I'm a jittery person and fluster easily at these events. So, I want to have some idea what to expect and what I might be confused about. That way, if it is not covered in the walkthrough, I have my question ready and don't hold things up.

At monthlies, I never read them.

Regards,

Allie Mo

Absolutely! I read it, make notes for clarification and get an "overview" before studying the actual stages of the next day.

AND I would PREFER to get a good idea of the stages shot last time at such and such match PRIOR to signing up and traveling to a match I haven't been to before. For me there has to be a LOT of good reports in order to get my interest and look at taking the time and expense of going.

But at annual matches the moment they say "there are some changes to the shooters book" then obviously I don't spend too much time on it.

Too many changes and the likelihood of my return diminishes proportionately.

Doc Nelson

I read it at least half a dozen times. That's where I start working on my strategy for shooting the stage; movement, transitions excuses for when I screw it up, etc.

Sorry, Philly, I chose not to resist. :D

Grizz

Sorry, Philly, I chose not to resist. :D

Grizz

You are truely a wise ass........................uhhh..................man............a wise MAN. Yeah, that's what I meant to say. :lol:

(I'd have disappointed if you resisted. ;) )

Heee Haaa .. Is that what your suppose ta do with that book.. :unsure:

Heee Haaa Crazy(who has used his ta light the campfire)Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

One Club I shoot at puts them on the internet and distributes them to the members. This is a great idea, and lets you study the scenario well ahead of time. Gives you time to read and understand the more complicated sweeps, and figure a way to not become confused while shooting them. I always print them out, study them, and carry them with me to the match.

RBK

Its good to know were you're going even if the map doesn't show all the cruves. Yes, I read it.

Great!!!

Everyone so far that has posted gets an A++++++...

Now, ya think the person to the left and the person to the right and the person behind ya have read the shooters book as well as all you when it is read during the stage reading. :lol: Perhaps a good percentile has,,,, but then maybe not..... Why you ask? Well, if they had studied the scenerios as well as all that has posted, then the percentile of P's from a different type of sweep wouldn't be so high. Just a therory...... and,,,,,, just saying. :rolleyes:

Blastmaster

Yep.

Read it.

Walk the stages, with book in hand and look them over.

Many times will talk with other Duelist that I respect about how we might shoot it.

But even doing all that. I try not to OVER think it. Just get the general idea, then move on.

I don't read the stage description before hand. Most I'll do is check the round count before I fill the loading strip for the stage and maybe see if we end with the shotgun so I can use plastic hulls and save the brass hulls for when I need the hulls to fall freely.

Very occasionally I'll peek at it real quick if the walk through instructions are unclear.

Yep.

Read it.

Walk the stages, with book in hand and look them over.

+1

Archived