SASS Wire Forum

WTC

Matthew Duncan

State match.  Stage instructions, “Shooter starts with both hands on hat.”

The Shooter (me) takes off his hat and holds his hat with both hands on his chest.  TO gives him (me) a stern look.  BEEP!  Shooter (still me) places his hat back on his head before proceeding to shoot the stage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Excerpt from a recent  "default position" discussion:

...reminds me of the "hands touching hat" clarification requiring that the hat must be worn on the head; NOT held at the shooter's waist, then dropped at the "beep"

(IIRC, a couple shooters got their hats stomped by the TO for trying that stunt) :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

...reminds me of the "hands touching hat" clarification requiring that the hat must be worn on the head; NOT held at the shooter's waist, then dropped at the "beep"

(IIRC, a couple shooters got their hats stomped by the TO for trying that stunt) :ph34r:

Duh, yeah, that could very easily happen if I was the T.O. Accidental of course!

Edited by Snakebite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

That'd be a neat trick for the TO to stomp it while it was on his head.

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

BEEP!  Shooter (still me) places his hat back on his head before proceeding to shoot the stage.

• Haha 1

Filing this away in my memory in the hope I remember to do the same when this thread has been forgotten. :lol:

On edit: As long as you (and later I) place both hands on hat on head before drawing.

Edited by John Kloehr
  • Like 2

Matthew was not gaming it since he took the time to put the hat back on his head. Both hands were touching his hat on his head at some point before he drew or fired. Good play.

I have seen it done enough that if "hands touching hat" is the start position the stage instructions include"hat on head"

I have been known to pick up my pistols off of a staged table and reholster before I shoot them.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Tn Tombstone said:

I have seen it done enough that if "hands touching hat" is the start position the stage instructions include"hat on head"

Also to include, "yes, your own hat on your own head with your own hands."

Maybe I'm more grouchy in my advanced years, but I am not amused by such antics trying to be cute.

Your mileage may vary.

• Sad 1

Takes more time to put the hat back on! I say MDQ!!!:P

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

And what if the shooter isn't wearing a hat?

..........Widder

That's happened especially with lady shooters. Just put your hands on your head DUH!!:P

On 2/7/2024 at 6:30 PM, Matthew Duncan said:

State match.  Stage instructions, “Shooter starts with both hands on hat.”

The Shooter (me) takes off his hat and holds his hat with both hands on his chest.  TO gives him (me) a stern look.  BEEP!  Shooter (still me) places his hat back on his head before proceeding to shoot the stage.

I wouldn't have given you the "beep"... TO shouldn't start a shooter in a faulted position.  

But, should the starting line read:  "Ma'am, if you just..." then the position should be:  "Hat in hands." :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Nasty Newt # 7365 said:

Matthew, we’re you merely indicating that you were too cool for school, or making a point?

I find live is boring by following the herd.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

That's happened especially with lady shooters. Just put your hands on your head DUH!!:P

BUT..... instructions didn't give that option.   I'm just joshing, BUT..... there have been some folks on this wire

that have been anal about following every letter of the written word, no exception, as some have stated.

..........Widder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

And what if the shooter isn't wearing a hat?

..........Widder

WIDDER!! Ya’s remembered!!

Most of my first thee years in SASS I didn’t wear a hat, but large bandanna on my head!!  

Sometimes, I held the tails of the knot, pulled around to one side!  :lol:

• Haha 1

On 2/7/2024 at 5:34 PM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Saw that happen once at our home club. The TO was the shooter's wife and after he dropped the hat she grabbed it and set it aside. I lost respect for two of our valued shooters and asked not to shoot with them anymore!!

Edited by Jasper Agate