SASS Wire Forum

That's not an AK-47

The AKM is easy to distinguish from the AK-47. 

The AKM has a small dimple stamped into the receiver right above the magazine. This is there to support the magazine because of the thinner stamped steel receiver.

The AK-47 has a larger milled area on the lower forward side of the receiver. This is to reduce the weight of the receiver.  The thicker milled receiver already fully supports the sides of the magazine

image.thumb.png.9c756d245ae6a9b54669e3b3d8875887.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think it's pretty much like people referring to all 1911 pattern 45 automatic pistols as 1911s, but most of them made since 1926 have been 1911A1s. But people still call them 1911s.

• Like 4

Yes and no. The AKM is always a stamped receiver, but there were 3 types of AK47s. The first type used a stamped receiver but had too many quality control issues in manufacturing, so the Soviet’s went to milled receivers for the type 2 & 3. By 1959, they had improved their stamping technology to develop the AKM.

• Like 1

Thanks Dave. For some reason I have never been a fan of AK’s. I think because of their size. They feel like 4/5 of a gun to me. Kind of like Ruger Mini 14s. They both feel short to me. 
Now the Tokerev, I like that one. The SVT-40 Tokerev. I have not owned one, but if I needed a Russian gun the Tokerev would be the one for me. 

"If you can trade into a Soviet-issue AK with iron sights for a couple of healthy chickens and a date with your homeliest sister, then I think you should catch the first truck headed someplace else. "

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mine is definitely an AK47.  The milled receiver gives it away!!  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I have never fired an AK pattern rifle.  I only handed a gun collector friend's Valmet.  He won't own a machined or stamped steel Comblock AK.  I doubt it's anti communism.  His other AK pattern rifle in his collection is a Galil.  The only AK pattern rifle I own would be the Galil because of it's ambi controls.  I think it is the superior workmanship found in western manufacture arms.  Today why by a Century or PSA AKM made from used AK parts kit when you can by a new mfg. AR-15.  An AR-10 is in the same price range as new Polish & Czechoslovakian AK's assembled in US with US receivers.

AKs are good rifles , if used within their limitations 

almost always go BANG , extract , eject , and feed another round , unless they have been messed with  

I preferred the SKS , they were a bit more accurate and could be made to fit better for me without a lot of work 

JMO use and enjoy what ya got 

Chickasaw 

AKs, when we'll built and with a bit of modernization are very, very cable of making things stop breathing out to 300.

I am an AK guy, no question....buuuuuut....

If you wanna shoot 7.62X39.

Buy and IWI Galil Ace gen 2.

Get the magwell delete and enjoy.

I don't even shoot my  AKs anymore.

Strait from the box the Galil is a better built, milled, optic ready monster packing a fat .30caliber 

The Israeli's did this right.

20230106_174529.thumb.jpg.404f420173a9271cd31bbc067cf45e92.jpg

5 hours ago, Chickasaw Bill SASS #70001 said:

AKs are good rifles , if used within their limitations 

almost always go BANG , extract , eject , and feed another round , unless they have been messed with  

I preferred the SKS , they were a bit more accurate and could be made to fit better for me without a lot of work 

JMO use and enjoy what ya got 

Chickasaw 

Best of both worlds!!  SKS that takes AK magazines!!

Mine’s a Model D!

• Like 3

And not all black rifles are AR15s. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

BUT!!! You can always make an AK from a shovel.  https://www.armoryblog.com/firearms/rifles/ak-made-from-a-shovel/

A few years back one of the myxomycete (once I learn to spell that it may become my new favorite term for politician) in Sacramento introduced a bill to ban "ghost guns" and 80% lowers.  It was so poorly written (or perhaps so carefully written) that a shovel, or any sheet metal, or any block of aluminum would be considered a firearm because it was "readily convertible" into receivers.   Even his Big D coconspiritors wouldn't let it hit the floor of the Legislature. 

CA Ghost Gun.png

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A few years back one of the myxomycete (once I learn to spell that it may become my new favorite term for politician) in Sacramento introduced a bill to ban "ghost guns" and 80% lowers.  It was so poorly written (or perhaps so carefully written) that a shovel, or any sheet metal, or any block of aluminum would be considered a firearm because it was "readily convertible" into receivers.   Even his Big D coconspiritors wouldn't let it hit the floor of the Legislature. 

CA Ghost Gun.png

I followed that story as it broke.  There were several such attempts in some other states,even a couple cities. Here in Austin Texas one of the city council people even tried to get it as a city ordinance till he was disabused of that notion.

• Like 1

I like the AK platform, like some others, I think the SKS is a better firearm. I would like to see a 1.5" additional drop in the stock. Make it more comfortable to shoot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I like the AK platform, like some others, I think the SKS is a better firearm. I would like to see a 1.5" additional drop in the stock. Make it more comfortable to shoot.

I really know practically nothing of the AK-47 (variants), SKS or any other COMBLOC weapons.

Of the SKS and AK-47(variants), I thought it was an advantage that the AK-47(variants) used detachable magazines while most SKS used a hinged magazine and were designed to be refilled with stripper-clips.

Why do people think the SKS is better?

I like the AK, it is relatively inexpensive and I made it my truck gun since it is very durable. It is locked away but available if needed.

TM

1 hour ago, Chief Rick said:

Why do people think the SKS is better

My unsupported guess is that it feels better, more like a traditional rifle, has a little more range, and is slightly more accurate. 

I think the AK might be easier to strip and clean, and is a little more durable.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I have at least one SKS. My big concern with them is the safety is a trigger safety, not a hammer safety. So not drop-safe.

Does shoot nice and accurate, and fast to reload with stripper clips.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

I really know practically nothing of the AK-47 (variants), SKS or any other COMBLOC weapons.

Of the SKS and AK-47(variants), I thought it was an advantage that the AK-47(variants) used detachable magazines while most SKS used a hinged magazine and were designed to be refilled with stripper-clips.

Why do people think the SKS is better?

I have to work really hard to get my cheek weld on the stock low enough to use the iron sights on an AK.

The SKS has more drop in the comb so I have no problem using the iron sights.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I have to work really hard to get my cheek weld on the stock low enough to use the iron sights on an AK.

The SKS has more drop in the comb so I have no problem using the iron sights.

This!

The first thing that I have always done after cleaning and inspecting a newly acquired AK or SKS is discard the crappy wood furniture and install a good quality collapsible stock and a better forestock of some kind!

My last SKS purchase was a Model D version. It accepts AK magazines and drums which makes it so that I don’t have to keep separate styles of magazine to feed either rifle.  I simply select mags that work in either rifle and load and store them.

I probably should choose one style or the other and stick with it, but I like them both for different reasons and so I have both!!

Never owned an AR style rifle, but I’ve shot several.  If I decide to get one it will likely be an AR10.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

My last SKS purchase was a Model D version. It accepts AK magazines and drums which makes it so that I don’t have to keep separate styles of magazine to feed either rifle.  I simply select mags that work in either rifle and load and store them.

How does one tell if a rifle is a real Model D?

On 1/7/2024 at 7:36 PM, Chief Rick said:

How does one tell if a rifle is a real Model D?

The Model D and the Model M both take AK magazines.  

Mine is a Model D which came with the bayonet lug milled down and a thumb hole style stock.

I believe the Model M has a longer barrel and comes with a Monte Carlo stock.  

edit: The “D classification was unofficial and used to denote the “detachable” magazine feature.  There are numerous minor variations that appear throughout production.

Both are Chinese manufacture.

My son, Hatfield, has an original Russian SKS with the folding stock. It takes the detachable magazine with the long “blade” at the top/front.  A little more difficult to initially fit, but much faster on the reload than the stripper clip option.

I have found that, for me at least, the Bulgarian magazines are the most reliable.  I do have some of the Norinco 75 round drums that work well also, but they’re heavy if you’re carrying the rifle any distance.

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Thanks 1

thanks for the thread - i didnt learn anything but i did get to remember my russian/chinese SKS , which was a great rifle , not very accurate but for sprayy and pray it was as good as any long as you fed it well , 

On 1/6/2024 at 3:49 PM, J.D. Daily said:

I have never fired an AK pattern rifle.  I only handed a gun collector friend's Valmet.  He won't own a machined or stamped steel Comblock AK.  I doubt it's anti communism.  His other AK pattern rifle in his collection is a Galil.  The only AK pattern rifle I own would be the Galil because of it's ambi controls.  I think it is the superior workmanship found in western manufacture arms.  Today why by a Century or PSA AKM made from used AK parts kit when you can by a new mfg. AR-15.  An AR-10 is in the same price range as new Polish & Czechoslovakian AK's assembled in US with US receivers.

https://youtu.be/uLM7BztUvNk?si=ATRiMm7R7oCfNoHv

• Haha 1

On 1/7/2024 at 5:33 AM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

And not all black rifles are AR15s. :rolleyes:

True however the AR-15 is the 1st & the only erector set rifle.  No riveting & no headspacing.

P.S. My 1st build was an AR-10 & the only special tooling were a GO & No Go gauges.  Because the upper & lower receivers were proprietary the bolt catch/release were installed. 

I had to buy a PTR-106 a H&K 91 clone.  They and the CETME's are the most environmentally hardened black rifles 

7 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

What is the point of demonstrating a rifle's capability of cycling after stuffing food into the magwell.  Especially when the AK's bolt. is in battery & the AR's is locked open?  

I have had stoner weapons jam from dust and sand in bounding overlap training. Having to open the weapon and wash it out with my canteen to continue course of fire.

The point of that demo was to introduce a foreign object in line with the magazine and notices. This demonstrated that one has ftf stoppages and the other doesnt.

The tolerances on the 2 weapons are nowhere near the same. In real world instances a handful of sand renders one a very poor club and the other rarely even notices.

• Thanks 1

I have a Norinco SKS and a converted Saiga.  The SKS is easier to score hits out past 100m.