SASS Wire Forum

Original Henry (recent not really original)

River Jordan, SASS 18742

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have shot mine in NCOWS matches. You either need to learn the Henry hop or make a wooden plug to take up the gap. 
Some matches will not allow the 1860 because of the rare chain fire. The wooden plug should resolve that issue. 

2 hours ago, River Jordan, SASS 18742 said:

Is anyone shooting one of the newish Henry Originals regularly in matches?  If so, what are your thoughts......?  

The first question needed to be asked before an accurate and meaningful answer can be given is:

What do you want outta SASS CAS matches?

Phantom

i occasionally shoot my 1860 , ive not mastered the 'hop' so i tend to my 1866 more often , but shooting the repro 1860 is a fun experience , different feel than all my other rifles 

52 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I have shot mine in NCOWS matches. You either need to learn the Henry hop or make a wooden plug to take up the gap. 
Some matches will not allow the 1860 because of the rare chain fire. The wooden plug should resolve that issue. 

Any club/match that outlaws the use of 1860 Henry rifles SHOULD include that prohibition on their website and/or match entries....IMO.

27 minutes ago, River Jordan, SASS 18742 said:

in particular is it as reliable as the Uberti Henry ? ( I understand the Henry design ) 

Just wanted to see how they feed , feel and hold up under use etc.. 

Thanks!

It's just another toggle link rifle...no more or less reliable.

If you think they're cool...and you don't particularly care about being competitive...get one.

Phantom

You can avoid the "hop" if you hold it by the end of the receiver.  I know a guy (Col MKH) who runs one that way and can be pretty fast.  You have to lock it in and keep your hand just out of the way of the lever, and it's as fast as any unmodified toggle link.  Having said that, I have an Original Henry (modern) in 44-40 and have used it a few times for fun at local matches.  They are a blast to shoot but it's not my main match rifle.  

Bear Claw

There’s a reason why they came up with the 66 back in the day. 
I had one for a minute, I shot it at a match ONCE! Sold it that day! I don’t understand the fascination with it myself. I don’t like the way it loads and i also don’t like the bare metal instead of a wooden forend. Just MHO 

I got all caught up in the made in America thing .

Wow a Henry built in America  !

I got to have one .

But they are very proud of then 2k :unsure:

So to help fund it .

I sold my Uberti Brass Henry and a Uberti Iron frame Henry .

I used my brass frame Henry so much with BP and never polished the brass that she looked like a Original Henry Rifle .

( I sure do miss that rifle )

I think the Uberti Henry is a better built more athletic looking rifle then the Henry New Original. 

I have contacted the Pard here on the wire several times and asked him to sell her back to me .

The New Henry Repeating Arms Henry Original is a Priddy Rifle. 

With a lot of M.I.M parts in it.

With Zero after market parts .

Yes it shoots good .

I would buy a Uberti if I was you IMHO.

Don't drink the Henry Kool-aid  !

Screenshot_20181025-152428_Photos.thumb.jpg.23722bd6ebea3ece4467ef20dbaf68c8.jpg

I don't have one made by Henry Repeating Arms, just an Uberti, so I can only offer generic comments.  Shooting one is not all that different from a 66 or a 73.  If you've got the spacer stick, no need to hop, and then no difference at all.  (Well, except maybe for where you hold your forehand.)  Fun guns all around.

Generically, I have read that HRA guns are well made, and for the price, their original Henry pretty much has to be!  If you have a line on one, I'd say go for it,

If I want to shoot slower stages I will use a Henry. If I want to shoot faster stages I don't use a Henry. The Henry rifle is unique and an excellent choice with black powder but I only know of 1 or 2 guys who are really competitive with the Henry.

They take a little bit of dedication to learn... not all that different from learning to run an '87 shotgun.

But both can yield headaches. :D

From what I have been told from witnesses, the chain fire issue arises when the rifle is staged with the follower out past the forward edge of the table. When the rifle is picked up, the follower catches on the table edge, then snaps back causing the chain fire. I have never seen it, but that is what was relayed to me. Again, the spacer solves this problem. 

I love my Henry Original, but they polish it so much it breaks the barrel edges. Uberti keeps their edges sharp and authentic looking in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

If I want to shoot slower stages I will use a Henry. If I want to shoot faster stages I don't use a Henry. The Henry rifle is unique and an excellent choice with black powder but I only know of 1 or 2 guys who are really competitive with the Henry.

They take a little bit of dedication to learn... not all that different from learning to run an '87 shotgun.

Why is the Henry such a excellent choice for black powder? I used a 66 and a 73 for black powder and they were actually better. That barrel gets hot with BP on the Henry. 

After 6 rounds the Barrel is warming up & tells you when to do the HOP.

Largo

13 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

After 6 rounds the Barrel is warming up & tells you when to do the HOP.

Largo

Ha Ha, that's my point no HOP on a 66 or 73 ;)

I love 'em!

But then, I don't care about times, my score, or finishing high up.
I've had a bunch of them over the years.
Several 24" in both brass & steel, in both 45 Colt & 44-40

Several carbines (they don't hold 10 rounds 44-40 in the magazine)
However, my favorite match rifle is a 44-40 Henry Transitional built for me by Coffinmaker.
Slightly shorter barrel really improves the handling.
He also built me one in 45 Colt.

Paired with my cap guns, black powder, &  hammer double, it makes for a great day!! 

They are exceptionally accurate rifle, due to the magazine slot & barrel being machined in one piece.
If you like the looks, I suggest you buy an Uberti, have a smith slick it & add a short stroke.
Refinish the stock, and make a stick for the mag tube.
It's a neat gun!

--Dawg

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I would like to know who's competitive with the 1860 outside of some small monthly match... And like Miles said, what make you think that it's excellent for BP?

I'm really quite curious.

Phantom

Like any other firearm legal for use in SASS, it needs a bit of "tuning" to be run as fast as possible.  The Henry "Hop" is a real thing unless you have a hole in your forward hand for the follower to pass thru, most folks don't.  The Henry as well as the Uberti version will be better for a little gunsmithing, tuning if you will.  As for they "love BP"... that remains an opinion.  They react the same as any other rifle fed BP... Fouling control is job one.  The first match I shot mine steel framed Henry in, I didn't get to round eight on the second stage before the fouling jammed the carrier up tight... (45 Colt).  While a great BP cartridge it doesn't work well in a rifle, unless you do a few things.  I've shot an 45 Colt chambered 1873 in this game since before the short stroke kit made it was the "go to" rifle for champions.  Mine is still a factory stroke, but the lever & carrier springs as well as the trigger block safety spring have been replaced with aftermarket springs.  I've shot my 1873 successfully with BP since I bought it expressly for that purpose after simply shaving a few thousandths off each side of carrier, to allow for the buildup of fouling on the carrier and the inside of mortise.  While I did that with my Henry before running it with BP... I didn't remove enough.  After that aborted match debut, I clearanced the carrier quite a bit more and now can run it for a full day's competition.  With a C45S carrier in it, it holds 19 of the C45S cartridges in the mag tube.  Add in a short stroke kit and it can speed up quite a bit.  I don't particularly enjoy that aspect of the game, so don't bother to run fast.  I've had fun losing to several guys that shoot a particular match with their cap guns and Henry's for the past few years.  Sorta "our own match within a match."

None of us are any huge threat to win overall, although several could, and have in years past, won their category, Frontiersman.   Frontiersman requires the use of a double or an 1887 lever shotgun, cap & ball revolvers, shot duelist style, all firearms powered by BP.  The use of a Henry is a still a handicap to a good Frontiersman.

IMO, it you want to go fast, buy an 1873, short stroke it, tune the springs for a light, responsive action... but... if you wanna look good, buy the Henry.  To be competitive among Henry users, you'll need to do that action work to it also... the good news is that with the Uberti, the action parts needed for their toggle link actions are the same, as internally, there's nothing except the carrier that differs from the 1866 or 1873.  

33 minutes ago, Griff said:

Like any other firearm legal for use in SASS, it needs a bit of "tuning" to be run as fast as possible.  The Henry "Hop" is a real thing unless you have a hole in your forward hand for the follower to pass thru, most folks don't.  The Henry as well as the Uberti version will be better for a little gunsmithing, tuning if you will.  As for they "love BP"... that remains an opinion.  They react the same as any other rifle fed BP... Fouling control is job one.  The first match I shot mine steel framed Henry in, I didn't get to round eight on the second stage before the fouling jammed the carrier up tight... (45 Colt).  While a great BP cartridge it doesn't work well in a rifle, unless you do a few things.  I've shot an 45 Colt chambered 1873 in this game since before the short stroke kit made it was the "go to" rifle for champions.  Mine is still a factory stroke, but the lever & carrier springs as well as the trigger block safety spring have been replaced with aftermarket springs.  I've shot my 1873 successfully with BP since I bought it expressly for that purpose after simply shaving a few thousandths off each side of carrier, to allow for the buildup of fouling on the carrier and the inside of mortise.  While I did that with my Henry before running it with BP... I didn't remove enough.  After that aborted match debut, I clearanced the carrier quite a bit more and now can run it for a full day's competition.  With a C45S carrier in it, it holds 19 of the C45S cartridges in the mag tube.  Add in a short stroke kit and it can speed up quite a bit.  I don't particularly enjoy that aspect of the game, so don't bother to run fast.  I've had fun losing to several guys that shoot a particular match with their cap guns and Henry's for the past few years.  Sorta "our own match within a match."

None of us are any huge threat to win overall, although several could, and have in years past, won their category, Frontiersman.   Frontiersman requires the use of a double or an 1887 lever shotgun, cap & ball revolvers, shot duelist style, all firearms powered by BP.  The use of a Henry is a still a handicap to a good Frontiersman.

IMO, it you want to go fast, buy an 1873, short stroke it, tune the springs for a light, responsive action... but... if you wanna look good, buy the Henry.  To be competitive among Henry users, you'll need to do that action work to it also... the good news is that with the Uberti, the action parts needed for their toggle link actions are the same, as internally, there's nothing except the carrier that differs from the 1866 or 1873.  

So you can only look good with

a Henry? I think the 73 snd 66 are actually nicer looking rifles! IMHO 

34 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Yes yes, of course it is. I was inquiring into the basis of his opinion.

Phantom

As far as I'm concerned, there ain't one... but would still be interested in learning how others think... 

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Why is the Henry such a excellent choice for black powder? I used a 66 and a 73 for black powder and they were actually better. That barrel gets hot with BP on the Henry. 

It’s the caliber that matters - .44-40. Another gun of the same caliber is just as clean.

For me, the smoke and flame just looks cooler out of a Henry. It’s a 24” barrel, but looks longer and sleeker without the forearm. Pure aesthetics. YMMV. 

As for the heat, I’ve no problem, even with real BP during the rifle string as it doesn’t have enough time to absorb the heat. Retrieving the rifle at the end of the stage is another matter. YOW, it gets hot. Smokeless is a non-issue. 

3 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

It’s the caliber that matters - .44-40. Another gun of the same caliber is just as clean.

For me, the smoke and flame just looks cooler out of a Henry. It’s a 24” barrel, but looks longer and sleeker without the forearm. Pure aesthetics. YMMV. 

As for the heat, I’ve no problem, even with real BP during the rifle string as it doesn’t have enough time to absorb the heat. Retrieving the rifle at the end of the stage is another matter. YOW, it gets hot. Smokeless is a non-issue. 

Funny because I think the 66 is nicer looking with the forearm. To each his own?:)

The way to prevent magazine chain fires in the Henry is to 1) utilize bullets with a flat meplat .250" in diameter or larger; and 2) be careful not to let the follower slam down when you release it after loading, and 3) to let the rounds slide down with the rifle held at a shallow angle above horizontal; 4) be sure to seat the primers slightly below the level of the cartridge case. 

I love to shoot my Navy Arms (Uberti) M1860 Henry, but, unfortunately, back problems make the muzzle-heavy piece such that I can't handle it very well. :(  M1892 (Rossi) with 20" barrels can almost be handled one-handed, which works better for me.

31 minutes ago, Tall Tale Todd said:

I shot my Uberti Henry today and placed first in my category. It’s a fun rifle 

Choose your category wisely  :rolleyes:

22 hours ago, Major Art Tillery said:

They are a hoot, get one and run it!  Everyone should have one in their cowboy gun collection! :ph34r:  

But I am biased, the Henry is all I shoot anymore. :lol:

And he shoot’s it very, very well!

Archived