SASS Wire Forum

1984 Red Dawn

sassnetguy50

Watching the movie. After the Russians take over the town, their commander orders soldiers to the sporting goods stores to find forms 4473. They will have descriptions of weapons in private ownership.  Later in the movie the Russians will be able to match the log book to store inventory to see what is missing.

Surprising to see a Hollywood movie that shows any downsides of gun control.

And then just a little bit later the camera is on a bumper sticker on a pickup truck. YOU CAN HAVE MY GUN WHEN YOU PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD HAND

And there's a good guyDEAD GUY, DAMMIT OTTO laying on the ground with a 45 in his hand, and one of the Russians stands on his arm and twists the 45 out of his cold dead hand.

Good movie. 

John Milius created this movie. He is very pro gun. I am pretty sure those lines about the 4473 and gun records was a little tip of the hat to viewers that this could be something that might be done. 
Of course some of my pro gun buddies at the time were just sure that this was a clue for the leftists on how to get our guns and there was a conspiracy afoot. 

And ironically enough it's not Russian troops invading our country we need to worry about with respect to form 4473 but our own government.

Not getting too far off track I watched this movie in the theater when it came out and it was blood stirring. We were the same age as the young men in the movie were at the time.  We also were very aware of tensions with the Soviet Union.

Still a very entertaining movie to watch, in fact I think I watched it about 3 months ago again.

I like that snowflake they had with them.

"There isn't any food left. There's just the stuff that you've killed."

Because the meat in that can of chili and that can of beef stew - that meat was invented at the canning factory.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Not getting too far off track I watched this movie in the theater when it came out and it was blood stirring. We were the same age as the young men in the movie were at the time.  We also were very aware of tensions with the Soviet Union.

Still a very entertaining movie to watch, in fact I think I watched it about 3 months ago again.

I saw it in the big screen too. I had been out of the Navy for a little over a year and I worked at Hughes Aircraft so the Soviet threat issues were near and dear to my heart. 
I do recall deciding to stick up on ammo after that movie and setting aside more “earthquake” supplies. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I saw it in the big screen too. I had been out of the Navy for a little over a year and I worked at Hughes Aircraft so the Soviet threat issues were near and dear to my heart. 
I do recall deciding to stick up on ammo after that movie and setting aside more “earthquake” supplies. 

I call them camping supplies. :D

You can talk freely about stocking up on camping supplies for "camping" and no one thinks you're THAT guy. ;)

Fun fact...this was the first movie that got the PG-13 designation. 

CS 

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

And then just a little bit later the camera is on a bumper sticker on a pickup truck. YOU CAN HAVE MY GUN WHEN YOU PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD HAND

And there's a good guyDEAD GUY, DAMMIT OTTO laying on the ground with a 45 in his hand, and one of the Russians stands on his arm and twists the 45 out of his cold dead hand.

First thing I thought of when I read the context of the thread. Then I thought of Ben Johnson's character. He gave the rifle to "Jed" along with some ammo.

That's one reason that the feds are so worried about non-4473 transfers. 

Don't think we'll have to worry about the Russians or Nicaraguans this time around though. China and Mexico, another story.

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

I call them camping supplies. :D

You can talk freely about stocking up on camping supplies for "camping" and no one thinks you're THAT guy. ;)

Little funny story.

When my wife and moved to WV we were in Walmart and I was looking at some Rubbermaid boxes that were on sale and I said “These might work for earthquake supplies.” and this guy says “Earthquake supplies? Where do you think you are?” in a joking way. I said “West Virginia, I like to be prepared. When was the last time there was a quake here?” He said “Never.” I smiled and said “We’re due.” He just gave me a weird look and left. 
So, I think you’re right. Camping supplies it is from here on out. :lol:

—————————————-

When Red Dawn came out I lived in Hawthorne CA just northeast of Manhattan Beach CA. The weekend after I saw the movie I was in B&B Sales in North Hollywood CA. B&B was the best gun store around at the time. I was picking up ammo for a match. 
The store was packed. I asked the counter guy what was going on. He said “Ever since they released that movie Red Dawn business has been booming. :D

I guess some folks decided that movie might come true. 

13 hours ago, bgavin said:

Here in CA, the 4473 data and DROS is online to law enforcement 24x7.

When did that crap start.? They didn't have it when I was working in gun stores there.....but it doesn't surprise me a bit.

When I started accumulating guns for SASS, my LGS told me this.
I figure they would know.
I had commented about how comprehensive the DROS data was...  far more than just the firearm itself.

I figure the only one who knows for absolute certain is the database administrator for those systems.
He can see the presence or absence of that data.
Everybody else has a dog in this fight and will lie, lie, lie as they deem necessary.

9 hours ago, bgavin said:

When I started accumulating guns for SASS, my LGS told me this.
I figure they would know.
I had commented about how comprehensive the DROS data was...  far more than just the firearm itself.

I figure the only one who knows for absolute certain is the database administrator for those systems.
He can see the presence or absence of that data.
Everybody else has a dog in this fight and will lie, lie, lie as they deem necessary.

You just reminded me of something. 

Before I left CA I called the DOJ Bureau of Firearms and left a message. They NEVER answer their phones. My message was “ I am moving to West Virginia. Can someone in the state of WV or myself get copies of the records you have for the guns I have registered in the state of California?”

I got a call back that same day. The nice lady I spoke to said “I ran your question to my management. The short answer is ‘No’. We fo not release any information on gun registration, gun ownership, guns owned or any other information to any other state without a subpoena that must be filed with the DOJ for approval to release that information.”

I asked “What if I want or need it?”

She said “As a California resident you can get this information by submitting Form number (blah, blah, blah) with the required fee and we can send this info in 4 to 6 weeks (I believe). If you are no longer a resident you cannot get that information without filing a subpoena.”

That would be a big “Yay!” in my book. Their bureaucrat ways keep my info difficult to acquire now that I am gone. 

On 5/13/2023 at 9:04 AM, Dantankerous said:

And ironically enough it's not Russian troops invading our country we need to worry about with respect to form 4473 but our own government.

Our own govmint seems to be acting like foreign nation in a lot of ways today. 

You could legally change your name to DROP DATABASE DROS or whatever the name of the storage database is and then go buy a gun. ; )

On 5/14/2023 at 8:49 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

...That would be a big “Yay!” in my book. Their bureaucrat ways keep my info difficult to acquire now that I am gone. 

And free. :D

I have the movie (plus the newer remake which is not so good) and I think it was the Cubans who actually took the town, the Russians came in later when the Cubans were having trouble with the local citizens.

17 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I have the movie (plus the newer remake which is not so good) and I think it was the Cubans who actually took the town, the Russians came in later when the Cubans were having trouble with the local citizens.

I was excited for the remake but as usual the remake was ho-hum and paled in comparison to the original, but that seems to be more normal than not anymore. In my opinion the “remake” of True Grit in 2010 was an incredibly well done movie unlike most movie remakes. I was actually hoping they would follow the same storyline, plot, etc for the remake of Red Dawn set in the 1980s. Alas, I’ll be happy to watch the original. :D

And you might be right with regard to Cubans but I believe they were under Soviet leadership. Either way, if you ever look out your window and see paratroops landing in your neighborhood your entire day just changed.

21 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Actually it was Nicaraguans!

3 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Actually it was Nicaraguans!

Commie Nicaraguans, Cubans and Soviets. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Commie Nicaraguans, Cubans and Soviets. 

Murdering bastards, all.

And a bunch of pissed off and very resourceful American-by-God Gen X teenagers gave them the what for.

Guess what I'm gonna watch again tonight? :D

interestingly enough the ATF was not supposed to create a national gun registry - this is as close to that as they could get back then , but today its all on computer - the data base is there , 

NOT Only were they not supposed to but there is a law specifically stating that they cannot do it.

They do it anyhow.

I've not bought a gun in awhile.  Are 4473's digital now?   If not are the FFL's in  California  scanning them?

In Vermont I've experienced both online and paper. Seems to depend on the FFL. Got to listen to the NICS person the last time, was surprised they don't ask for the serial number; just whether it's a long gun or a pistol.

With today’s Red vs. Blue States political divide the title “Red Dawn” fits a totally different storyline.

How did the Red and Blue State descriptions get started anyway?

23 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

I've not bought a gun in awhile.  Are 4473's digital now?   If not are the FFL's in  California  scanning them?

No, the 4473 is the bound hard paper form.  The electronic version is the e4473.  Federally speaking, it is the FFLs choice which form to use.  I don't know California law.

Archived