SASS Wire Forum

Blazing Saddles

I remember going to theatre on the South Side of Chicago to watch this when it came out. Everyone, black and white were quoting the lines from the movie and roaring with laughter as we came out. Sad, that we have lost the ability to make fun of ourselves.

1 hour ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

No one knows how to laugh at themselves anymore, nor can they laugh at the obvious satire.

10 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Sad, that we have lost the ability to make fun of ourselves.

Laughing at ourselves isn't the problem. It's others, that live for nothing else but to be victims, thinking that we are laughing at them. That, and those that "know better than we do", not wanting us to demean others by laughing at them, even when they are laughing with us.

I watched it in a theater one time, when they got to the scene where they were deciding who got to stay the line where they said "We'll take the nxxxxxs and the cxxxxs but we don't want the Irish." the entire audience roared. I was watching the movie in Londonderry, Northern Ireland. I think they took umbrage at the sentiment.

34 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

My parents had this album as a kid. I grew up loving the music, and at some point around age ten noticed the cover art.

And now this has wormed into my ear for the day. I hope y’all enjoy it as much as I am. (And I truly am humming along with the TJB!)

Obviously, with an alias like mine, I love the movie.  A couple months ago my DVD copy got scratched.  I couldn't find a new copy on Amazon because it's not politically correct.  Luckily, WalMart.com still had one.

When the movie was made, Mel Brooks used Richard Pryor as his monitor as to what was acceptable, or not, as far as "racial comedy issues" in the film.  Pryor, like Dave Chappelle today, was the top Black comedian of the day.  Pryor urged Brooks to keep things in the film that Brooks thought might be too controversial. 

I find it sad that comedy seems to have "died" the last few years.  If we can't laugh at ourselves and differences, it makes the world a much sadder place. 

1 hour ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

I couldn't find a new copy on Amazon because it's not politically correct.  Luckily, WalMart.com still had one.

I figured something like this would happen so I bought a copy of "Blazing Saddles" and "Spaceballs" from Amazon a while back before they "disappeared".

On 6/25/2022 at 5:36 PM, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I must register a complaint! The whip cracking reminds me of some unpleasantness in the past!!!!:rolleyes:

No joke. A school board member in a suburban district here just days ago was 'reprimanded' by the board for what were said to be 'racist' statements. Among them: a conversation about personnel where he used the term 'it's time to crack the whip around here'. 

Alas, I kid you not.

Sure didn't take long for the minority to silence the majority.:angry:

We had a fool here in Sacramento named Lauren Hammond who sat on the city council.
An attorney was making a financial presentation to the council, and advised them not to be niggardly with their budget allocation.

Of course... Ms. Hammond played the race card with a full court press.
And wound up the laughing stock of the area and nation, because she is STUPID.  And racist.

6 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Obviously, with an alias like mine, I love the movie.  A couple months ago my DVD copy got scratched.  I couldn't find a new copy on Amazon because it's not politically correct. 

Well, I just ordered a 30th Anniversary edition from Amazon for $12. They have 8 other options to choose from. Perhaps the day you tried they were all out, but they’re fully stocked up now. 

6 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Obviously, with an alias like mine, I love the movie.  A couple months ago my DVD copy got scratched.  I couldn't find a new copy on Amazon because it's not politically correct.  Luckily, WalMart.com still had one.

When the movie was made, Mel Brooks used Richard Pryor as his monitor as to what was acceptable, or not, as far as "racial comedy issues" in the film.  Pryor, like Dave Chappelle today, was the top Black comedian of the day.  Pryor urged Brooks to keep things in the film that Brooks thought might be too controversial. 

I find it sad that comedy seems to have "died" the last few years.  If we can't laugh at ourselves and differences, it makes the world a much sadder place. 

I see them all the time at garage sales and thrift stores. Probably explains why I have copies in VCR, DVD (2) and Blu-ray. 

One of my favorite movies, one of the ones that you can watch over and over again without getting tired of it.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

We had a fool here in Sacramento named Lauren Hammond who sat on the city council.
An attorney was making a financial presentation to the council, and advised them not to be niggardly with their budget allocation.

And wound up the laughing stock of the area and nation, because she is STUPID.  And racist.

23 years ago!

image.png.014648e71d2fdb079fd7027c1d0c474d.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/williams/williams020499.htm

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Amen and Awomen!

35 minutes ago, Bart Slade said:

Amen and Awomen!

You can't use the word women anymore. If you will notice, that word has the word men in it.

You must now spell it womyn.

They say history repeats itself. I say herstory repeats itself and just won’t let anyone forget about it. 

Archived