SASS Wire Forum

? for our California Pards

Widder, SASS #59054

I ask this in a serious and concerned way and not as a joke or jab.

Some Pards have mentioned that when the time is right, either retirement or other obligations,  they are moving out

of California.

Q:  how hard will it be to sell your property at an equitable price in order to move?

Q:  with all the high taxes most of us hear about AND mixed with the bad problem of homeless folks living on the sidewalks of beautiful cities, exactly how many folks are desiring to move into California?

Just curious.

............Widder

Last I looked California has slowed its growth substantially.  Less than 1% per year, but still growing.  Aside from its problems, there are some positives.  Great weather for one.  If you live in a community like my dad did, where you don’t have to go anywhere it’s very nice.  

Bought my California home in 1977 for $44,650.

Sold it in 2013 in nine days for $6,000 more than I was asking and a mite over 10X what I'd paid for it.  In 37 1/2years we had  put about $21,00 into it in remodeling and upgrades.  The lady who bought it paid cash ($10,000 in a personal check, the rest the next day with a cashier's check) and the only down side was that she wanted us out in 14 days.  We made in eleven and we were in a two month rental Arizona by night fall.  Found a house that we wanted and were moved in in 54 days.  Only paid $181,000 for it.

I just had it appraised for $305,000 with the upgrades and remodeling I've done in the last 16 months.

It ain't for sale.

Probably depends a lot on where the house is. There’s parts of Escondido and other places in north San Diego County that used to be very desirable neighborhoods but not anymore. A friend of mine owns a couple of rental houses in one neighborhood and has had them on the market for over a year with no offers. Out where I live we have realtors calling regularly with buyers wanting to buy, but Mrs. Lose has changed her mind about moving again. A house down the street that was built in 1992 and on a pretty small piece of property and much smaller house than mine just sold for $880,000.00. Many fellow CAS folks have sold their houses very quickly and above what they were asking. A 1% growth rate of 38 million people is still 380,000 people and that’s the legal ones, no telling how many illegals come in each year.

I have heard that Illinois is now losing people faster than they are coming in. Same thing. High taxes and liberal government run by Chicago. I have a friend in Rockford that would like to get out. His property values have dropped substantially. And around his area...a lot of the gunshops have closed their doors because of all the new laws they have enacted.

If it is anything decent, put it up at 5% below market and it will be sold in a week and at a price that will allow you to buy a mansion in most other states.

Do not buy a mansion if you leave the state....In some places no one in that state has the money to buy it...You end up selling to another California person...Who is also leaving the state....Buy reasonable and you can sell it later if needed....

Still stuck in California....With the best people running it...If you ask them....

Texas Lizard

Reading some articles on population migration for California. While it grew 1% as in the politicians are saying California continues to grow as its a great place to live and work. When in reality its a net number of comparing people moving away to people moving or illegally coming in. Around 700,000 left California in 2018. Thats people and along with many businesses.

Whats happening is the people with good incomes and retirees that are paying taxes are leaving for better places to live, lower taxes, and homes that are better and reasonably priced. The tax base is declining and the people moving in are adding to the demand for services provided by the Government! And as usual the politicians are trying to tax their way out of a financial problem.

We moved to Nevada 22 years ago from Commiefornia. For all the reasons above. Unfortunately the Californians leaving the State for all the reasons above have brought the same issues with them. We are now a liberal State. Sales Tax almost matches Ca. More restrictive gun laws, red flag and wanting to ban AR's. Trying to initiate an income tax and become a sanctuary state. They leave because of the disease of liberalism but turn around and infect the place they ran to? Who knew?

I was born in Cal 78 years ago and it was a great place to grow up. I am also a 4th generation Californio, relatives came during the Gold Rush era. My wife and I knew in the 80's that we were going to leave when I retired. Spent 15+ years looking out of state for our retirement location (had to be west of the Rockies.) Bought our last home in 1970 ( for 35,000) and sold it in less than a week in 2000 for around 20x what we paid for it. California USED to be a great place to live, but alas MY California has disappeared!

Love SW Colorado and am staying until I get buried!

I have said this before and I am saying it again...Got news for you folks. You blame California for your politics changing because some people moved there from California. You would be wrong. Your states and areas are being manipulated from within by YOUR OWN PEOPLE! Go sit in some public meetings and find out. I am not kidding. Leftists have organized within city, county and municipal governments all over this nation. Look up GARE = https://www.racialequityalliance.org/

These are just one group manipulating politics in YOUR AREAS. Quit blaming Californians! Educate yourselves.

If what I said makes you mad...GOOD! Maybe you'll take my advice,.

Now regarding Widder's questions...

When I left CA twice and sold homes I had no problem selling at all. The first house reaped me a  nice profit. Not so with the second as I had only owned it 3 years.

As for moving here, there are lots of folks moving here, just as there are many leaving. When my wife and I moved back here we decided to rent. With the new tax  laws it made no sense to pay for a $5000-$6000 per month mortgage only to be able to write off $10,000 in interest.

The homeless  issues are greatly exaggerated by the media, just as most things the media  report on. 

Taxes are high as is the cost of living. It seems there is a  fee for every little thing but all in all the weather makes a lot of these things a little easier  to deal with.

I will tell you something else that most folks don't know. Californians are generally very friendly people. It is easy to make friends and good acquaintances here and neighbors  act like neighbors in most places. It doesn't take years to be accepted or to be a "neighbor" here.

I have said this before and I am saying it again...Got news for you folks. You blame California for your politics changing because some people moved there from California. You would be wrong. Your states and areas are being manipulated from within by YOUR OWN PEOPLE! Go sit in some public meetings and find out. I am not kidding. Leftists have organized within city, county and municipal governments all over this nation. Look up GARE = https://www.racialequityalliance.org/

These are just one group manipulating politics in YOUR AREAS. Quit blaming Californians! Educate yourselves.

If what I said makes you mad...GOOD! Maybe you'll take my advice,.

That post should be a 'sticky' :excl:

OLG 

The numbers show there are about 100,000 more people leaving the state than coming to California.  That's legal citizens I'm talking about.  The growth increases are due to children being born, both citizens and illegal immigration so yes, growth is stagnant.  Based on what I am seeing, lots of folks fleeing Illinois, New York, and the east coast are trying to escape worse economic conditions that are being experienced there.  California is becoming a sanctuary state for Democrats in many cases.

Vagrancy is a problem in the big cities who throw millions of dollars at these derelicts who choose to live the lifestyle ($80,000/year/per vagrant in San Francisco).  They are anti-social primarily (many of which are the result of AB109 and other get out of jail free laws from the Brown administration) with 20% mental cases and some folks just down on their luck.  Vagrancy is also a problem worldwide but is focused on California for some reason.

Liberal social programs draw people to California from all over the US for the almost unlimited handouts since they are easier to get than other states.  We have 34%+ of the entire country's welfare recipients and 27% of the vagrant population to contend with.  Don't even get me started on the illegal immigration or sanctuary state situation.  These situations result in high taxes to support them since none of these folks are producing or even trying to make a living on their own.

There is a housing shortage in many areas of California so selling a home for more than the asking price in bidding wars is common.  Unfortunately, many of the folks leaving California have considerable resources when they sell and create conditions where they overheat the markets out of state so the locals can no longer afford to live where they were raised.  Prescott, AZ is a prime example where housing prices are considered to be 45% above what they should be.  With out of control housing prices, so goes the property taxes where there are no tax hike protections such as California's Prop 13.

The Californians are infecting their new states with their rhetoric but all things considered, the ones leaving for other states tend to be on the more conservative side of the spectrum.  Unfortunately, the communist agenda has been underground and infecting urban areas for many years.  It's not just in California where the large cities are dictating to the rest of the state.  Most of California in square miles is conservative but the Bay area and Southern California are dictating to the rest of us. 

When I travel out of state, I call myself a refugee and am hesitant to say where I am from due to the bad reputation created by some Californians.  As such, we have been welcomed by most folks we have met along the way.  

California has a lot of offer but unfortunately, it comes with high taxes and liberal politics.  There are many beautiful cities, fantastic weather, jobs, recreation of any type, and millions of really nice people. 

Please come to visit and enjoy the state.  

When you sell and leave CA, you have choices:

• Pay capital gains on house profits
• Buy the same or higher priced new house
• Take the Senior Sale Exemption
• Start a new mortgage

#1 is self-explanatory.
You pay long term capital gains tax rates on the profits.
This is a one-time expense

#2 is insidious if you buy a mansion
You will be paying very high property taxes on this inflated house price.
Forever.
Year after year.
The recent Fed cap of $10k for deductions is painful if you have a huge mortgage expense.

#3 is age related, and dollar limited
I'm told there is a $500k max exemption

#4 requires a mortgage in our situation

I'm in a paid-off house with low(ish) property taxes.
I can maybe realize $275k after the smoke clears.

We have cataloged 100+ properties in NV and Prescott AZ.
Nearly all are $600k and up.
Most have HOA and the Nazis that run them.

We want 1800-2400 sq.ft, 4 beds, gas kitchen, 3-car garage, or 2-car + shop.
That's it.

Forty Rod tells me housing is available for less than $600k, but we are not finding it.
I have two realtors looking, neither comes up with anything suitable.
I do notice nearly all those homes we have in the catalog remain Unsold.

I have properties in Sacramento and San Diego.
Crime, bums, drugs, trash, vomit, camps, congestion, sirens, prices, taxes... are ghastly.

Shoplifing and burglary is rampant, because the thieves are a protected species.
Safeway and other groceries make employees sign a contract that they will not confront or aprehend shoplifters, or they will be fired.

It is a common occurrence seeing bums walking out of stores and markets with armloads of stolen goods.
We have clear photos of their faces, stolen goods, and license plates.
The cops DO NOTHING.

My son is a SoCal advocate for getting homeless off the streets.
He says 75% have no desire to get off the streets.
They want to beg or steal enough to stay high, and live on the streets.

When you sell and leave CA, you have choices:

• Pay capital gains on house profits
• Buy the same or higher priced new house
• Take the Senior Sale Exemption
• Start a new mortgage

#1 is self-explanatory.
You pay long term capital gains tax rates on the profits.
This is a one-time expense

#2 is insidious if you buy a mansion
You will be paying very high property taxes on this inflated house price.
Forever.
Year after year.
The recent Fed cap of $10k for deductions is painful if you have a huge mortgage expense.

#3 is age related, and dollar limited
I'm told there is a $500k max exemption

#4 requires a mortgage in our situation

I'm in a paid-off house with low(ish) property taxes.
I can maybe realize $275k after the smoke clears.

We have cataloged 100+ properties in NV and Prescott AZ.
Nearly all are $600k and up.
Most have HOA and the Nazis that run them.

We want 1800-2400 sq.ft, 4 beds, gas kitchen, 3-car garage, or 2-car + shop.
That's it.

Forty Rod tells me housing is available for less than $600k, but we are not finding it.
I have two realtors looking, neither comes up with anything suitable.
I do notice nearly all those homes we have in the catalog remain Unsold.

Actually, the Senior Sale Exemption is no longer valid.  You are covered under the  Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 for up to $500K in capital gains.

Unless you are locked into a specific location, look at Dayton, NV for large, new homes under $500K.  It is a short distance to Carson City and an hour from Reno.  Prescott does have homes under $500K but you have to look closely and be prepared to make some changes to your liking since the inventory is smaller in that price range.  Payson, AZ is a wonderful little town in the mountains north of Scottsdale where you can find more reasonable housing.  Surprise, AZ and several cities close by have reasonable housing for seniors as well.

We looked into Payson, found the SASS club has been disbanded there.
There are some words about locals and crime.
Better air quality even than Prescott.

My tax client mentioned the $500k senior limit... I figured she would know.
Dayton... no thanks.
Carson City, sure, but west side is in the $600k range.

Minden, Garnderville is $800k

I also have to plan on the very real likelihood of dropping dead on my wife.
This will stick her with a house to dump, possessions, etc, and a long way from her daughters.
She will probably move in with #1 daughter as they move around the world with the Navy.

I had my heart set on Prescott... but it isn't going to happen for us.
If CA becomes The Road Warrior, we can always firesale and walk away.

Kalifornia ? 

Never mind I have nothing good to contribute to this post .

So I will just stay away from it .

Rooster 

Seven years ago, I put my house up for sale in Southern California.  In the next two days, 179 people came to the open house.  The third day, we received six all cash offers.  One the fourth day, we accepted a cash offer for 15% higher than the house was listed for.  A couple weeks later, we had our house packed and the movers took our stuff. So, the whole process took us less than a month.

As a now retired truck dIver...I never lost anything in California I need to go back for. There are two sets of laws there. One for California base plated trucks...and another set for everyone else. I was in the inspection lanes of a notorious scale in California. I had out of state tags. The truck in the next bay was California. I got a phony brakes citation. I know it was phony because I had stopped just before the scale and checked and adjusted them. Before I could leave I had to adjust the brakes. 1 axle. Tightened them down and backed them off to exactly where they were. All was well. The California truck had visible water and oil leaks. You could hear air leaking. They put an inspection sticker on and told him to have a good day. No citation. 

I was born in Cal 78 years ago and it was a great place to grow up. I am also a 4th generation Californio, relatives came during the Gold Rush era. My wife and I knew in the 80's that we were going to leave when I retired. Spent 15+ years looking out of state for our retirement location (had to be west of the Rockies.) Bought our last home in 1970 ( for 35,000) and sold it in less than a week in 2000 for around 20x what we paid for it. California USED to be a great place to live, but alas MY California has disappeared!

Love SW Colorado and am staying until I get buried!

And beyond??

I notice that everybody is real proud of the house they are trying to sell... cuz the asking prices are so high.

Those high prices indicate to me, the market is saturated with Californians bringing their inflated housing profits, feral children, and B.S. liberal politics.
We notice the reception from realtors is somewhat chilly...

No problem with that...
An 8% commission on No Sale is 8% of Nothing.

Out of the 101 properties I have cataloged, none have sold, most have done price reductions.
A few have increased the price, but they don't sell either.

I notice that everybody is real proud of the house they are trying to sell... cuz the asking prices are so high.
It's called pushing the market to maximize profit.  I always price my home 10% or more over market to start out.
Those high prices indicate to me, the market is saturated with Californians bringing their inflated housing profits, feral children, and B.S. liberal politics.

Name calling?  Sounds like sour grapes since you haven't been able to sell high and buy low.  It's not just Californians moving to NV and AZ.  The market is saturated with high priced homes, not buyers, in a market that is softening all over the country.  Prices will come down as the desire to sell goes up.
We notice the reception from realtors is somewhat chilly...
We haven't experienced that at all.  We've been to ID, NV, and AZ looking at properties.  Realtors come in all shades of professionalism so just find another one.  Our worst experience with a realtor was a group selling golf course homes in Ione, not far from where you live.  
No problem with that...
An 8% commission on No Sale is 8% of Nothing.
Commision is closer to 5%.
Out of the 101 properties I have cataloged, none have sold, most have done price reductions.
A few have increased the price, but they don't sell either.
Pard, I offered you a couple of suggestions for more reasonable places but you dismiss them outright, your prerogative but to me, you're just making excuses at this point.  Prescott and Gardnerville are prime markets where prices are very high because folks, not just Californians, will pay it and have priced you out of some of that market.  There are properties in those areas that are more reasonable if you want to move there bad enough.  You may just have to lower your expectations and broaden your search.  We have found several properties in both places given your parameters but they sell quickly.  A friend of mine in Prescott Valley advised me that the market is very hot there and to be cautious not to overpay for a home.  Good advice in my opinion.

Please don't Kalifornicate my Idaho!  :angry:

The Idaho legislature passed eleven gun and gun range protection laws in part because of the Oregonian and Kalifornian influx around Boise. Quite a few sicko libs moved there. I even had a Kalifornian buy a piece of property near me in Boundary County on the British Columbia border and attempted to close down my gun range.

Our expanded gun rights laws blew his socks off!!!!   :-)

They escaped from insane lib land but did not learn a thing. It happened to New Hampshire and Vermont. Luckily for me as a Grand Patron, there's little likelihood of  Kalifornication in Idaho during my lifetime. :wacko:

The trouble for Kalifornians is when they leave Kalifornia, they bring themselves with them!!!   :angry:

From here on out I don't believe I will be participating in any thread about California or responding to posts about California.

I am having a hard time maintaining "The Cowboy Way" so I will just leave it at that.:angry:

Archived