SASS Wire Forum

Decision time coming

Utah Bob #35998

Got some thinking to do this winter.

With the demise of our cowboy range I'm going to have to decide whether or not to continue in CAS after the final Revenge of Montezuma in the spring. I'm not one for driving a couple of hours for a monthly match. Did that when I was younger. Might be I'll be selling stuff off and gracefully retiring. Not as young as I once felt anyways. Time marches on.

17 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

With the demise of our cowboy range I'm going to have to decide whether or not to continue in CAS after the final Revenge of Montezuma in the spring. I'm not one for driving a couple of hours for a monthly match. Did that when I was younger. Might be I'll be selling stuff off and gracefully retiring. Not as young as I once felt anyways. Time marches on.

I'm right behind you.   I don't know if it'll be one year, five or 10.  We have our local range that's 20 minutes away.  All others are two hours or more away.     

I took inventory of my stash of BlackMZ a coupe of weeks ago to decide if I wanted to plump up my inventory while it's still available.  Looks like I have 3 years worth.  Decided to go with what I have.  If and when I run out, I can go with real black or Unique. 

I'm starting to slow on buying guns.  That's the toughest part.  :mellow:

I am equidistant from several ranges in the Sacramento area... all are 45 minutes each way.

We are late to the game (age 69), so I hope to have 10 years left to play it.
The pending end of the trail does make one ponder about where all those wonderful firearms will wind up.
Hopefully in the family, and not at some garage or firesale.. or destroyed in CA.

Other than my Dad's useless Rem Bushmaster 30-06 semi (a true boat anchor, except it would sink intermittently), I have divested everything that I don't use on a regular basis.

23 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I am equidistant from several ranges in the Sacramento area... all are 45 minutes each way.

We are late to the game (age 69), so I hope to have 10 years left to play it.
The pending end of the trail does make one ponder about where all those wonderful firearms will wind up.
Hopefully in the family, and not at some garage or firesale.. or destroyed in CA.

Other than my Dad's useless Rem Bushmaster 30-06 semi (a true boat anchor, except it would sink intermittently), I have divested everything that I don't use on a regular basis.

Feel free to write me into your will and I will take all of those fine firearms and shoot them frequently. Upon on my passing I will turn them over to my son and daughter who will make sure they are used properly and then passed on down to future generations ;)

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I don't know how active your closing range was,  but it leaves the same dilemma for others.  Maybe some kind of carpooling could be worked out?  Maybe split the cost of a large passenger van?  A small school bus?  Coffee on the way to the match, margaritas on the way back. :D

Do they still shoot at the range across from the Fairgrounds in Cortez.

Largo

Bob, Warden,Tex, Newt, bgavin I am in the same pot. I don't like it especially slowing down on the buying but the reality is knocking at my door too. I am still fortunate on travel time for monthlies. However slowing down is still being in the race and I won't give an inch. You fellas and many others in the Saloon and the Wire keep me inspired. Privileged to know you all!!

Best regards and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Utah Bob - I hope the warmer weather presents you with a place closer to home so you can keep shooting.  I haven't sat down to consider how far is "too far" to drive for a cowboy match but it is certainly something to consider.

DOL

Bob, it is looking very good for our Windy Gap club to start shooting at a new range in Cortez this spring. Don't get to anxious in giving up after the Revenge, I sure don't want to be the only one shooting BP! LOL

Send me a PM  or email if you want more details.

I regularly drive an hour to an hour and a half to cowboy shoots. The closest one is an hour the farthest is two hours, I hate the drive but I’m so glad when I get there. 

I am getting to the point where I will have some decisions to make...  I haven't shot much in the last year or so, let alone at CAS matches.  Although I don't feel old...most of the time...things are starting to catch up with me.  Got a dental implant in progress, that won't get finished until late January or early February. Have to get clearance from the tooth surgeon to shoot my 12ga, as the implant is in the upper right!  Got a cataract percolating in my left eyeball that will have to be taken care of in the next few months! (Fortunately, I'm right eye dominant.)  Don't go hunting anymore, and my wife mentioned that a mutual friend was selling all his big bore rifles. Was that a hint? :unsure:  They used to say that a cowboy was down for the count if he had to sell his saddle.  Does that apply to us old farts? (And I also have a bunch of MacClellan saddles I don't ride anymore!)  Sigh...

Don’t sell anything yet.  As Big Sage has posted, another range may become available.  In the meantime....

You are in the enviable position of living where you can set up a few targets of your own.  You could practice as often as you want if that is fun for you (it would be for me- I’m just trying to beat my last time).  Or you could host your own mano-a-mano (mano-a-senorita?) two person CAS match at whatever frequency you desire.  Weekly? Monthly? Semiannually?  Invite a shooter whose company you enjoy to shoot the “Utah Bob Invitational”.  However many stages you decide.  Steaks and drinks afterwards.  And you won’t have to drive at all.

My man, you don’t need a club.  You got the world by the cool unies and don’t even realize it!

;)

My club is a 4 hour round trip, but things may be changing for me also. May be ahead of you on the unwelcome retirement.:(

3 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I don't know how active your closing range was,  but it leaves the same dilemma for others.  Maybe some kind of carpooling could be worked out?  Maybe split the cost of a large passenger van?  A small school bus?  Coffee on the way to the match, margaritas on the way back. :D

Nobody near me to car pool with really.

2 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Bob, it is looking very good for our Windy Gap club to start shooting at a new range in Cortez this spring. Don't get to anxious in giving up after the Revenge, I sure don't want to be the only one shooting BP! LOL

Send me a PM  or email if you want more details.

I'll keep my fingers crosed.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I regularly drive an hour to an hour and a half to cowboy shoots. The closest one is an hour the farthest is two hours, I hate the drive but I’m so glad when I get there. 

Yeah. Used to do that. When I wore a younfger man's clothes. ;)

6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Howdy UB..Hope all works out & the Regulators get a new range. I have a different problem in that we have travelled & shot a lot in Australia & we have now decided to cut back as we are are both on the pension &  have to  watch the money spending, it was great fun but  we have come to the conclusion  that at this time we will not be doing  as many long trips & travelling overseas will not be happening.

Been to the USA 3 times & loved every minute, hopefully down the track there will be another USA  trip but at this time instead of trying to save for something 'expensive [ as our $$  conversion is poor ] ] that is down the track it would be better to do  the things we want to now .....I'm passionate about 'Cowboy but must admit not  shooting it as much lately as I've  got back into Trap & really having a lot of fun...

As we all get older we have all got  different  decisions to make...

'Take care ..'Mohawk

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yeah. Used to do that. When I wore a younfger man's clothes. ;)

I'm 72.........:)

I have also come to the end of any type of competition shooting. I beat the cancer but it left me with neuropathy in both my legs. It causes nerve pain, weakness and loss of balance. It’s treatable but not curable and the medication makes me loopy so I only take it at night so I can sleep. I will hang on to my guns because they give me hope

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I'm 72.........:)

Good for you. But we’re all different.

8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Good for you. But we’re all different.

True, I didn't mean anything by that other than I'm not so young either! I'm slowing down also, I still go but conditions have to be more favorable now, weather, aches and pains etc.

Good luck with your decision.;)

I'm probably the last one to offer suggestions or opinions, since I'm much younger, it seems I always have something getting in the way of me shooting, and end up living vicariously through others here. However, here goes.

When you shoot, do you still enjoy it? Regardless of the drive time, scores and the like, do you enjoy it? Then my advice is to do it. I'm a strong believer that, health issues aside, being active, learning, and doing what we enjoy helps us remain healthy, aware and vital as we age. One of the reasons I went back to earn my black belt in my fifties was the belief that being active is good for the body, and if it is something we enjoy, it is good for the body and soul.

14 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

.  Got a dental implant in progress, that won't get finished until late January or early February. Have to get clearance from the tooth surgeon to shoot my 12ga, as the implant is in the upper right! 

Trailrider, I am glad you mentioned this. I wasn’t aware that shooting could possibly affect implants during the process of getting them put in. I will have to talk with my dentist today when I see him. I have several implants in the works. 

Thank you for mentioning this. 

UB, sorry to hear this. 

I am 58 and I am going through my own issues regarding shooting and matches and such.  Mostly from injuries sustained over my life and surgeries due to those injuries. 
One of my doctors, my wrist and hand surgeon, recommended I change shooting sports or learn to shoot left handed, which I am working on.  
The surgeon that did my recent rib plating surgery told me to reconsider shooting rifles and shotguns that have heavy recoil due to my surgery and fractured vertebrae. 
Both doctors are shooters themselves so it’s not as if they have an agenda. 

Without going into great details about all my injuries, how I got them and how they affect me now I will just say that many years ago I saw a quote from Hunter S. Thompson. At the time I thought “I want that to be me.” :D

I am happy to report that I am definitely succeeding. ;)

I will probably encounter Mr. Thompson in the afterlife if only because he will be there to greet me and tell me what a great job I have done living up to this quote:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

UB, sorry to hear this. 

I am 58 and I am going through my own issues regarding shooting and matches and such.  Mostly from injuries sustained over my life and surgeries due to those injuries. 
One of my doctors, my wrist and hand surgeon, recommended I change shooting sports or learn to shoot left handed, which I am working on.  
The surgeon that did my recent rib plating surgery told me to reconsider shooting rifles and shotguns that have heavy recoil due to my surgery and fractured vertebrae. 
Both doctors are shooters themselves so it’s not as if they have an agenda. 

Without going into great details about all my injuries, how I got them and how they affect me now I will just say that many years ago I saw a quote from Hunter S. Thompson. At the time I thought “I want that to be me.” :D

I am happy to report that I am definitely succeeding. ;)

I will probably encounter Mr. Thompson in the afterlife if only because he will be there to greet me and tell me what a great job I have done living up to this quote:

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

+1 for the Hunter S Thompson philosophy

22 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

UB,

I hope things work out and another range picks up your club in the Spring.

Also, Doc Ward's words ring true, even if he is the youngster on this thread. If it brings joy, and you're physically capable......Just Do It.

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

I'm probably the last one to offer suggestions or opinions, since I'm much younger, it seems I always have something getting in the way of me shooting, and end up living vicariously through others here. However, here goes.

When you shoot, do you still enjoy it? Regardless of the drive time, scores and the like, do you enjoy it? Then my advice is to do it. I'm a strong believer that, health issues aside, being active, learning, and doing what we enjoy helps us remain healthy, aware and vital as we age. One of the reasons I went back to earn my black belt in my fifties was the belief that being active is good for the body, and if it is something we enjoy, it is good for the body and soul.

I agree, and if I should bow out of SASS I do have other interests that keep me active both physically and mentally. I have seen too many others become sedentary blobs who wither unnecessarily. I prefer to keep my golden years shiny as long as possible. 
 I have, however, given up on expecting that call from NASA admitting me into the Astrogeezer Training Program. ;)

UB, I've enjoyed reading your posts since I started. I wish you the best.

P.S. Wanted to send you a PM, but I get a message that says you can not receive messages. Guessing your mail box is full.

15 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

UB, I've enjoyed reading your posts since I started. I wish you the best.

P.S. Wanted to send you a PM, but I get a message that says you can not receive messages. Guessing you mail box is full.

I have a sneaking suspicion that even if UB hangs up his guns, he'll stick around.

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I sincerely hope that is the case.

Me too. Colorado is quite a drive for me to go demand he explain himself for not!

Archived