SASS Wire Forum

This is where the young people are going

Mines shooting Indiana State this weekend and seriously thinking of shooting Michigan State without me next month. I can't go so she is thinking of gong solo. I guess I'm just lucky. :D

I did this in highschool as well 16 years ago  But let's be honest once I started shooting real guns and was legally able to buy a pistol, I never turned back. Sold all my paintball stuff and moved on to the real thing. 

I'll have to say it looks like fun.  Probably can't do all that running anymore.  My middle son did this for a couple of years.  Ours is a fantasy sport too--with real guns and live rounds true, but we don't shoot at each other like they do in paintball.

I was lucky enough to be paid to do that for a few years.   Some days I miss it

I am an older guy (70s) and was actually looking into a couple of matches that seemed to be getting more popular  than the local SASS matches and they were revolving around versions of Three Gun but using pistol caliber ammo for semi auto pistols and rifles.  Seems to have been catching on around the time I had to stop shooting.  I do know that at that time several of the Three Gunners were already shooting air soft for practice at home.  Funny how I was complaining about SASS slowing down back about then and now I would not be able to walk the slowest stages any longer!  If you want new and younger blood, perhaps pushing cowboy shooting with Air Soft with a lot of running should be looked into.  I know there have been several threads on here of late that seemed to already be throwing the hints out there pretty hard! 

14 minutes ago, LostVaquero said:

Don't miss the bruises.

Yep we had a guy freeze his balls before a match. (yeah I know how that sounds, but I'm talking about paint here).  I don't think they completely froze, but they were harder than normal.  He wasn't allowed back once it was discovered.

At least them youngsters are outside! :D

I started playing paintball in the late '80s with Splatmaster marking guns. What a blast! We eventually had all the latest and greatest gear and shot thousands of paintballs and played uncountable amounts of varying games.

I miss it. I'm just too slow now.

After recently retiring after 43 years of teaching high school, as previously mentioned, most of the kids were too lazy to actually engage in something like paintball.  Between their smart phones, tablets, and laptops they had little time for any physical activity, let alone homework.  After coaching football and wrestling for years, I started coaching golf.  After years of the team going to the state tournament and doing quite well, I couldn't even field a full team.  It was too much work to be outside for a couple of hours and have to carry "heavy" golf clubs.

3 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

So we upgrade SASS by forming into teams and shooting at each other:blink:

Can I go in the last posse, the odd number one with no opposition:ph34r:

9 hours ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

After recently retiring after 43 years of teaching high school, as previously mentioned, most of the kids were too lazy to actually engage in something like paintball.  Between their smart phones, tablets, and laptops they had little time for any physical activity, let alone homework.  After coaching football and wrestling for years, I started coaching golf.  After years of the team going to the state tournament and doing quite well, I couldn't even field a full team.  It was too much work to be outside for a couple of hours and have to carry "heavy" golf clubs.

I’m not talking about the lazy kids. I’m talking about the excitement seekers. It SASS doesn’t start marketing soon (like yesterday) spending advertiser dollars recruiting new shooters we will eventually run out of participants.

1 hour ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

I’m not talking about the lazy kids. I’m talking about the excitement seekers. It SASS doesn’t start marketing soon (like yesterday) spending advertiser dollars recruiting new shooters we will eventually run out of participants.

Has SASS ever spent any money marketing itself? I can't remember if they have, I've only known about it for 7-8 years though. Regardless, how are we going to get the point across that they need to? Are there any funds available to do it?

Yes, they used to advertise on a TV show called The Cowboys. I don’t know who owns the rights to the show but they could be shown in re-runs maybe, I don’t know. SASS claims the money spent and the idea it would bring in shooters was a failure. 

21 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

SASS claims the money spent and the idea it would bring in shooters was a failure. 

It probably was. Wish I had answers instead of complaints.

I guess I've been extremely blessed to have my kids actually WANT to come shoot with me.

Out of my four, two have shot with me for years. I respect that it's not the other two's "thing", just get out and do something.

The other two, btw, hike and camp regularly. It's a beautiful country; get out and enjoy it.

And for what it's worth, we had video games but they were never allowed to spend mindless hours on them.

Paintball is fun but I have an aversion to being shot at.

We do get to shoot at each other.We use green gas air guns.They will make you bleed if the just shim you and leave bruises hit good..We ware full face shields, long sleeves.

John Barleycorn,

We take high school kids on class retreats every year.  Paint ball is one of the big activities and a decent amount of the kids like it.  The last few years, however, the popularity as declined somewhat in favor of the ropes course or other less strenuous choices.

On a sad note, a number of our more liberal young teachers (male and female) think it is way too violent and not something kids should participate in.  All that awful toxic masculinity! 

On another note, I found that a number of our female athletes absolutely loved it and were better than many of the boys.   

I enjoyed the heck out of Paintball for quite a few years.   As I got older I realized this is a young person's sport.   So I built a tank....    I continue to play at the DDay Adventure park - Oklahoma D-day scenario once a year.  It is quite a hoot!  Over 1000 players this year.  (down from 4000 in 2009...).   There is a movie about it on Netflix called "Soldiers of Paint".   The sport has gone down a bit in popularity over the years as young people find other "electronic" things to do.  However, the thrill seekers and adventurers are still out there playing.

I am really happy that I have had the opportunity to play paintball and I am REALLY happy to have the opportunity to enjoy CAS.  The people are awesome and the shootin' is fun.

IMG_2661.JPG

On 7/10/2019 at 2:16 AM, Major Crimes said:

So we upgrade SASS by forming into teams and shooting at each other:blink:

Can I go in the last posse, the odd number one with no opposition:ph34r:

That all went swimmingly until someone picked up a bullet and threw it back and hurt somebody...or a warthog showed up...:P

Advanced issues found

On 7/9/2019 at 2:54 PM, Captain Bill Burt said:

Yep we had a guy freeze his balls before a match. (yeah I know how that sounds, but I'm talking about paint here).  I don't think they completely froze, but they were harder than normal.  He wasn't allowed back once it was discovered.

First time I read the first sentence, I read it all wrong.  

Archived