SASS Wire Forum

I need a new place to live

On 11/7/2018 at 10:13 AM, Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904 said:

The political climate in Wa state has gotten to the point where I better leave before I become a felon (No Joke).  A new state law will hold me as a felon if some dirtbag breaks into my house, steals a firearm and uses it in a crime, if the state decides I didn't secure it well enough.

I like mountains, trees and water.  I'm too old to do hard winters.  I hate excess government control. I need a CAS club withing driving distance every weekend and I really hate big cities.  Sounds like I'm looking for Eden, but does anybody know of such a place?

Sounds like they're getting advice from here in Canada.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:49 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Thank you Charlie, I would very much like for that meeting to happen. ;)

After re-reading the post-You have a very valid point.

My apologies:excl: My remark did not need to be that 'sharp'. -_-

OLG

OLG...NO apologies needed. Sometime what I try to say comes across wrong. It isn't the 1st time and it won't be the last.  :unsure:

Not to be a downer.....I just moved to WA state and absolutely loved the summer climate in the sound...I’ll let you know after winter.  I drive east of the mountains a lot on different passes and this state is fantastic.  From the ocean, to snowy evergreens, to high desert in a few hours.  And no humidity on the west side!  Traffic and way too many people, but lots to do.  

what scares me and gives me concern no matter where one goes is the increased ability to BUY votes.  The gun initiative that passed here was funded around 5.5 million by a few billionaires and defended by around 650k, 200k of which came from the NRA.  Look at all the elections and all the money poured into states by folks that lived thousands of miles away...

We are safe nowhere.  When I was in the sheriffs office last week they laughed at me when I told them the initiative here was going to pass...said no way.  A simple google search of history of votes on previous gun votes told me otherwise.

St. George, in gun friendly southern Utah.  45 minutes to Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Moab, Monument Valley (think John Wayne movies) etc.  Dixie Desperados, one of the best ranges anywhere.  www.dixiedesperados.com.  Y'all come.  Many Californian shooters have moved here.  

14 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The problem is that wealthy liberals want the same scenery that we do.

Interesting twist developing.  For the first time in recent memory, waterfront property prices are beginning to drop.  Between rising coastal water levels (think flooding in Boston and consideration of a seawall system to protect downtown) and rumblings that, to avoid bankrupting the National Flood Insurance Program, the Feds may soon amend the act, and refuse to insure waterfront second homes and/or structures that have been exposed to flood damage on a recurring basis.

Bottom line is that I'm glad that I built across the street from the water; my neighbor will have to convert his house to a marina before the water has any chance of reaching me.  But all of those million-plus houses along the beach may be in for a rough ride, without  Uncle Sam standing by to finance reconstruction on our tab.

I sense an opening developing for those of more modest means, if you build smart.

LL

8 hours ago, Major Pain said:

St. George, in gun friendly southern Utah.  45 minutes to Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Moab, Monument Valley (think John Wayne movies) etc.  Dixie Desperados, one of the best ranges anywhere.  www.dixiedesperados.com.  Y'all come.  Many Californian shooters have moved here.  

I just searched Zillow for houses in So. Utah and thought of you while doing it. :o;)

Come for a visit. We have three extra bedrooms. We’ll show you around. Come anytime!

Pain

16 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

You can’t deny that california had many things going for it.

Yup, apparently it's a great place to move to if you're an unemployed firefighter. Can't believe it's nearly winter yet half that state is still on fire. And as soon as they're out wait for the flash floods.

19 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Yup, apparently it's a great place to move to if you're an unemployed firefighter. Can't believe it's nearly winter yet half that state is still on fire. And as soon as they're out wait for the flash floods.

It is a big state, with many variations in climate.

Nuh uh.  We do what we can and, when we can't any more, we quit.  I'm sure you've paid your dues.  And life's too short to be influenced by people who don't understand.

14 hours ago, JD Lud said:

Not to be a downer.....I just moved to WA state and absolutely loved the summer climate in the sound...I’ll let you know after winter.  I drive east of the mountains a lot on different passes and this state is fantastic.  From the ocean, to snowy evergreens, to high desert in a few hours.  And no humidity on the west side!  Traffic and way too many people, but lots to do.  

what scares me and gives me concern no matter where one goes is the increased ability to BUY votes.  The gun initiative that passed here was funded around 5.5 million by a few billionaires and defended by around 650k, 200k of which came from the NRA.  Look at all the elections and all the money poured into states by folks that lived thousands of miles away...

We are safe nowhere.  When I was in the sheriffs office last week they laughed at me when I told them the initiative here was going to pass...said no way.  A simple google search of history of votes on previous gun votes told me otherwise.

The kind of winter you experience will have a lot to do with your exact location. The San Juan's in the sound and Mt Olympus tend to steer the weather into corridors where moving just a couple of miles will have a big impact on the amount of rain or snow you will get.

It's been a decade since the Seattle area has seen a really big snowstorm. Usually all we get are a couple inches of snow and tons of cars piled up against each other because nobody remembers how to drive in it. The worst weather we get are the endless rainstorms from October to May that cause the rivers to flood and folks to go so long without seeing the sun that they start losing their minds and voting Democrat.

On 11/7/2018 at 10:07 AM, Dantankerous said:

I would suggest Kansas because it's a very gun friendly state including constitutional carry and NFA, there are a number of really great cowboy action shooting clubs within easy driving distance of Wichita and these are not limited to just Kansas but but several neighboring states as well. Cost of living is quite affordable, and we don't have much for winter. There is a brand new airport that helps you get out of town fast if needed. Plenty of restaurants, theaters, golf courses, and other activities. Traffic is relatively easy to navigate, some good school systems, and did I mention cowboy clubs?:D I think there are 7 within reasonable driving distance of Wichita. Reasonable driving distance means 4 hours or less. Heavy on the less for several.

The downside is we don't have any mountains or much in the way of scenery although we do get beautiful sunsets year 'round. It's an easy drive to lake country in several other bordering states. (I know plenty of people who own cabins in Oklahoma, Missouri, and Arkansas that are Lakeside). It's also an easy drive one state over to some of the best the Rocky Mountains has to offer in Colorado ( it's very easy to avoid Denver, by the way;)). We have two major metropolitan areas, one Kansas City and the other Wichita. Wichita has a much smaller population than Kansas City because Kansas City morphs with Kansas City, Missouri and is very populated. Wichita is still a relatively low population city with only around 400,000 in the entire county. 

The political climate in Kansas is pretty much the opposite of what it is in Washington (thanks to Seattle). 

Like any state it has pros and cons. But, these accolades I've described don't keep a lot of people here. Retirees go elsewhere as do a lot of new college graduates. I hope to do the same when I no longer and handcuffed and leg shackled to my employer. 

There ain't no perfect place I've found. But there are states I much prefer over others, generally due to politics. And that's a sad statement to make when we are supposed to be a free country but infringement upon personal freedom is just that and I understand your perspective. 

Good luck in your search!

I was born in Junction City, Kansas. My father was born there too.  My grandparents were born in Ogden, Kansas. JC is out one gate of Ft. Riley and Ogden is out the back gate. My grandfather was born in Jackson Country, MO.  My grandmother used to say there are only two good times in Kansas, one is Spring and the other is Fall. In between?  Just sayin...

images-1.jpeg In addition to no snow, we have many days of great sunshine and never-ending places to go.  Southern Utah University has all the cultural, academic and sports programs available to the public.

images.jpegSt. George is 90 miles from Las Vegas. Three CAS clubs there with "The Best Shoot by a Dam Site," and "El Dorado, the Nevada State Championship, which always draws a crowd. The Dixie Desperados host a Regional Championship in the Spring, including the Territorial WB Championship. In the Fall, it's the Huntsman World Senior Games, during which we have a big shoot for those 50 and over or that will turn 50 that year. There are 3 clubs in Salt Lake City, about 4 hours away. Easy trip to shoots in Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico.

images-4.jpegA major cultural facility is the outdoor, Tuachan Center for the Performing Arts. Broadway plays, broadway stars and many other stars come and perform throughout the year.  Look at that venue in a beautiful box canyon surrounded by towering red rock mountains. Awesome!

images-8.jpeg

images-7.jpeg

images-6.jpeg

images-5.jpeg

Unknown.jpeg

Unknown-2.jpeg

Unknown-3.jpeg

images-2.jpeg

images-9.jpeg

images-10.jpeg

Unknown-3.jpeg

images-3.jpeg

Ok, Ok I know I'm being a "Pain," but it's what I do. In fact, it's been suggested by some that I change my alias to "Major General Pain," so I can spread happiness near and far, rather than being just a "Major Pain" to my wife.  Come see us, you won't want to leave!!!!

We retired a few years ago and moved from Carnation in King County to here in Port Angeles.  Having lived in several states (NY, TX, AZ, WA) I am sure that we love being here in WA.  We've been here some 40+ years now, and have children and grandchildren here as well.  I think I'll stay and help fight.  This battle has yet to get to the courts, and the Supreme Court is due to have another 2A case in the next few years! 

Major Pain,

Once we get settled in our new home in Dixie Springs, I'll be over to the Desperadoes to sign up. Say hi to BT and Lucky for me. 

(see my post under Yul's moving out of CA thread).

Wyatt

On 11/7/2018 at 4:27 PM, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I wouldn't leave. The big issue here is the future. Washington, notwithstanding its political liberalism, has always had very good gun laws. "Shall issue", strong state constitutional provision, state pre-emption, no waiting for CPL holders, no specific type restrictions, etc.

But two years ago an initiative closed the [fictional] 'gun show loophole', and this one does the following, in essence: defines all semiauto rifles as semiauto "assault rifles", raises the age to purchase same to 21, and requires a 'within-5-year' gun safety course and a 10-day wait for one. It does not add these restrictions to any other gun type, and does not restrict semi-auto purchases except as above. (In other words, you can still buy any gun you could before, unless you are under 21.) In addition, it mandates 'safe storage', with the possibility of criminal liability if a gun not 'safely stored' is taken by an unauthorized person and used in a crime. Trigger locks will constitute safe storage, as will anything under lock and key.

As with the 'loophole' initiative two years ago, this was financed by several cyber-billionaires, who spent millions. Against that, the opponents, including the NRA, spent about $600,000. So, we have committed anti-gun billionaires, and a population which (as in many other places) gets farther and farther away from hunting and gun use in general. This latest passed by big margins in the urban counties.

We can expect more in the next cycle.  We really need to get our political act together big time here for the future.

The worst part of the new law is you have to submit to consenting to the state accessing your medical records.

On 11/8/2018 at 9:04 AM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Funny thing, but in recent years there have been several news stories of Seattle police having guns stolen out of their personal or patrol cars. One was the acting police chief at the time. I wonder how the new law would treat those guys?

LEO's are always exempted from laws restricting the people.

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Not true-Many laws affect their possession of firearms.

Domestic Violence is the most prevalent.

OLG

In CA because of the political clout of LEO unions the inmates under the capitol dome had to exempt LEO's from the safe handgun law, electronic locks, micro-stampping & safe storage laws.  Domestic violence prohibition is an amendment to the Clinton AWB which NJ Senator Frank Lautenberg introduced.  Somehow the LEO unions were asleep at the switch when the Lautenburg amendment  was debated.  I remember the Oh S**t! moment when they realized it applied to them.  Lots of LEO's lost their jobs because they no longer could carry or possess a firearm; because, they had plead guilty to a misdemeanor. 

Glasgow, KY  2 hours from  Ponderosa Pines KY,  Wartrace Regulators TN, just over an hour Knob Creek Gunfighters KY, 45 minutes Green River Gunslingers KY,  3 hours to Ring Gold GA, Pleasant Valley IN,  Paducah KY there's a couple of clubs.   Plus the Vaquero's are here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a little 120 acre piece next to me in the foothills east of Helena, MT that's been for sale for ten years. The woman that owns it has cut the price by more than 50%, and it could probably be had for around $500,000 now. Undeveloped, no buildings, easy physical and utility access. Plenty of room to shoot, mountains, wildlife, fishing close by, camping, etc., and Cowboy shooting every weekend during the summer. Winter shoots depend on the weather and hunting season. Winters CAN be bad, but they're a lot milder than they were "when I was a kid". :lol: Last winter was the worst we've seen in twenty years or more, while this year winter has yet to arrive. Very little snow, with daytime temps in the high-30's to low-40's - I had 50 yesterday. Glacier and Yellowstone parks are only a 2-3 hour drive.

Elk and mule deer on the property.

Elk 011.jpg

RealEstatePics 023.jpg

On 11/11/2018 at 10:46 PM, J.D. Daily said:

LEO's are always exempted from laws restricting the people.

Wrong.

5 hours ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

There is a little 120 acre piece next to me in the foothills east of Helena, MT that's been for sale for ten years. The woman that owns it has cut the price by more than 50%, and it could probably be had for around $500,000 now. Undeveloped, no buildings, easy physical and utility access. Plenty of room to shoot, mountains, wildlife, fishing close by, camping, etc., and Cowboy shooting every weekend during the summer. Winter shoots depend on the weather and hunting season. Winters CAN be bad, but they're a lot milder than they were "when I was a kid". :lol: Last winter was the worst we've seen in twenty years or more, while this year winter has yet to arrive. Very little snow, with daytime temps in the high-30's to low-40's - I had 50 yesterday. Glacier and Yellowstone parks are only a 2-3 hour drive.

Elk and mule deer on the property.

Elk 011.jpg

RealEstatePics 023.jpg

I had no idea that land was over $4000.00 per acre in Montana. Good grief 

Just now, Sedalia Dave said:

I had no idea that land was over $4000.00 per acre in Montana. Good grief 

Ten years ago, she had this piece priced at the very top of the market, and then some, saying, "I can only sell it once". Even at $10,000/acre, 1.2 million, people were looking at it, but then the bottom fell out and last I heard, it was in the mid-$400,000 range. The market is recovering somewhat now, but she can't hope to sell it if she keeps it just out of reach every time its listed.

6 minutes ago, J Bar Binks, #47015 said:

Ten years ago, she had this piece priced at the very top of the market, and then some, saying, "I can only sell it once". Even at $10,000/acre, 1.2 million, people were looking at it, but then the bottom fell out and last I heard, it was in the mid-$400,000 range. The market is recovering somewhat now, but she can't hope to sell it if she keeps it just out of reach every time its listed.

Buying land with no dwelling on it is very difficult to get financing for. Very few banks are going to loan that kind of  money unless the buyer can put up a significant down payment.  I sold some unimproved land in South Dakota. Lots of people wanted it, but without a 25% cash down payment they couldn't get it financed.  

Archived