SASS Wire Forum

I need a new place to live

6 hours ago, guykickinit said:

I'm looking for a place like the property Hickok45 has; a target rich environment.  Politics has little to do with it.  Just ready to not have neighbors I can talk to without going outside. 

Hickock45 lives 5 minutes from me. I live in the middle of Middle Tennessee.  I’m less than two hours from five different clubs and a comfortable distance half a dozen more that are great to shoot with.  There are ten or more state matches within a half day’s drive, a regional match within two hours, and the best little match in the world three hours away!!

You get a little snow, (and I do mean a little) some winters, great mountain roads a couple hours away, lots of lakes, rivers, and streams, and the political climate is far and away better for those of us with positive Second Amendment issues.

Just don’t bring any of those left coast, liberal idiots with ya’!!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

@Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904

Wasn't sure if you wanted to stay in the Good Ol' USA, as I was going to suggest Australia. ;)

Unfortunately, after some research I found they have some pretty nasty spiders there.

Maybe our Pards from down under @Major Crimes  and @Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 can offer up some insights.

233478294_Australianspiders.thumb.jpg.2df91174d910e95c0fde16b619ca9425.jpg

I am pretty sure we will fall a little short on the gun control issue side of the ledger:rolleyes:

Otherwise pretty good

untitled2.png

untitled.png

imagesVQ85JUP1.jpg

imagesB6D2DLPR.jpg

7 hours ago, Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904 said:

A new state law will hold me as a felon if some dirtbag breaks into my house, steals a firearm and uses it in a crime, if the state decides I didn't secure it well enough.

I was just thinking... what if you're driving to or from the range, stop for a bite to eat, and somebody breaks into your vehicle? Are we all going to be required to install armored lock boxes in the trunks of our cars now? :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I was just thinking... what if you're driving to or from the range, stop for a bite to eat, and somebody breaks into your vehicle? Are we all going to be required to install armored lock boxes in the trunks of our cars now? :rolleyes:

Please don't give them any ideas

8 hours ago, Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904 said:

...A new state law will hold me as a felon if some dirtbag breaks into my house, steals a firearm and uses it in a crime, if the state decides I didn't secure it well enough...

And they would try to find YOU, the law abiding citizen guilty of something because the mindset in some places the gun owner is a much worse bane on society than criminals. 

2 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

@Mudflat Mike, SASS #20904

Wasn't sure if you wanted to stay in the Good Ol' USA, as I was going to suggest Australia. ;)

Unfortunately, after some research I found they have some pretty nasty spiders there.

Maybe our Pards from down under @Major Crimes  and @Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 can offer up some insights.

233478294_Australianspiders.thumb.jpg.2df91174d910e95c0fde16b619ca9425.jpg

Mudflat has been to Australia..In all honesty it is a great country [ has a lot of positives but the negatives are mounting up !!! ]   as much as I love it I could easily live in one of the Southern states of the USA....guns are a 'BIG part of my life as is Mikes  so  living in a  a gun friendly atmosphere gives a lot of comfort,we don't have that here as we are continually fighting the 'anti's'..your fight is starting but the one big factor you have is 'numbers..IMHO there would be another  Civil War' if they tried to disarm America.. When Mike was here  maybe '010 or thereabouts he said then that in the future he was considering leaving WA..that time has now eventuated.  Yes we have some nasty spiders, snakes , crocodiles etc but you have  a lot of your own  ..'specially  them dang' bears that want to race out & grab ya'....for what my little opinion is worth  .....Tennessee is the place to be !!!

Income tax, property tax, sales tax, vehicle registration fees, loss of freedom, all things to consider. Weather is secondary and man is not made to live below 5000 feet.

I wouldn't leave. The big issue here is the future. Washington, notwithstanding its political liberalism, has always had very good gun laws. "Shall issue", strong state constitutional provision, state pre-emption, no waiting for CPL holders, no specific type restrictions, etc.

But two years ago an initiative closed the [fictional] 'gun show loophole', and this one does the following, in essence: defines all semiauto rifles as semiauto "assault rifles", raises the age to purchase same to 21, and requires a 'within-5-year' gun safety course and a 10-day wait for one. It does not add these restrictions to any other gun type, and does not restrict semi-auto purchases except as above. (In other words, you can still buy any gun you could before, unless you are under 21.) In addition, it mandates 'safe storage', with the possibility of criminal liability if a gun not 'safely stored' is taken by an unauthorized person and used in a crime. Trigger locks will constitute safe storage, as will anything under lock and key.

As with the 'loophole' initiative two years ago, this was financed by several cyber-billionaires, who spent millions. Against that, the opponents, including the NRA, spent about $600,000. So, we have committed anti-gun billionaires, and a population which (as in many other places) gets farther and farther away from hunting and gun use in general. This latest passed by big margins in the urban counties.

We can expect more in the next cycle.  We really need to get our political act together big time here for the future.

The Carolinas are not so bad.  We got mountains, we got beaches, we got CAS clubs all over the place, we got the best folks on earth to shoot with.

11 minutes ago, MizPete said:

The Carolinas are not so bad.  We got mountains, we got beaches, we got CAS clubs all over the place, we got the best folks on earth to shoot with.

I don’t know about some of that, last week a shooter from your neck of the woods let many of us know that we wouldn’t be welcome at any club he shoots at. His admonishments wouldn’t sit well with me and others.

8 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I don’t know about some of that, last week a shooter from your neck of the woods let many of us know that we wouldn’t be welcome at any club he shoots at. His admonishments wouldn’t sit well with me and others.

OK-Hook is set.^_^

PLZ fill us in.

OLG

12 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

OK-Hook is set.^_^

PLZ fill us in.

OLG

The post got locked. He had a problem with folks like me that can’t do a lot of the posse chores.

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

We have to incapacitate our pistols (trigger locks) have them in a locked container (locked gun box) and in a locked and hidden away compartment of our car/truck (the boot or a lockable container-fixed to the tray- on a ute).

14 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

The post got locked. He had a problem with folks like me that can’t do a lot of the posse chores.

OH-OK, Know just who you're referring to. :rolleyes:

I put the 'special one' on 'ignore', after his first round of 'knowledge' in that thread. :lol:

I'm sure many others have done the same.........

OLG

East TN near Chattanooga up toward Marysville is the place. Good four season WX, lots of CAS Clubs, NO State Income Tax, Gun Friendly State, fine scenery and great people. Plus, SEC Football!   Cheers,  Hoss C.

No hills but plenty of trees and green in NE Texas

From my house there are 4 SASS clubs and one NCOWS club within a 1.5 hour drive.

4 additional SASS clubs if I expand the drive time to 2.5 hours.

Within a days drive you can attend the following state matches,  BP championships, and the SW regional match.

Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, Louisiana and Kansas

The following matches are first rate and usually sell out well in advance.

Hell Fire courtesy of the Jackson Hole Regulators

Comin At Cha courtesy of Bad Lands Bar 3

There are too many first rate club annual matches to list without leaving some out.

No income Tax, Reasonable property taxes, Excellent job market, Reasonable housing prices, Large enough plots of land for any kind of shooting range you desire, Affordable gasoline, Moderate winters, Rural living yet close enough to the DFW metroplex. and much more.

Best part is that we have brutally hot summers to encourage you to visit the friends you left behind in the northern latitudes. That way you won't miss each other so much. :D

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Not all folks from PRK have the mind set you're worried about.

My wife:wub:and I don't have that mind set, and we are look'n hard at Forsyth.

Don't paint all us folks from Ca. with that wide brush you just used........:angry:

OLG

Lumpy...read it again please. What I said was  "SOME Californian's are trying to make Montana (or their area of it) be like where they left, but won't move back to where they left". Those are the ones that need the highway strip electronic terminator.

I also said " Although there's quite a few Cal transplant's that moved here for the freedom of life we have here." I know quite a few former Californian's that moved here (Montana) years ago, and not that long ago, and I consider them close friends. So please re-read what I posted in the original post above.

I would really enjoy meeting you in person someday after you move here. Maybe even get a chance to shoot with you and yours.

Howdy:

Arkansas Ozarks.  Mountains, lakes, relatively mild winters and not a lot of pushy nosey neighbors or government to pester you.

I just sold my farm and I am missing it horribly.   Oh, and great catfish meals, wild turkey, and deer abound. :-)  Not to mention squirrels (4 legged kind - a few 2 legged one also)

STL Suomi

Several great cowboys have mentioned Tennessee. 

Dantankerous- I moved to Middle Tennessee from Wichita in 1966 right after I graduated HS, I love it here, come on down.

We have clubs within 4 hours drive time and a SASS Club of the Year-Wartrace Regulators half an hour from my house in Murfreesboro.

Imis

Texas - SASS clubs everywhere.  

North Texas gets some cold weather with freezes and snow. Comin' at ya is famous, but lots of clubs nearby in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana too.

South Texas - can be HOT.  

Central Texas - beautiful hills (not mountains, but still nice) Again lots of great local clubs near Austin.

East Texas - Piney Woods - beautiful, rarely have hard freezes - also near Louisiana and not too far from Arkansas

Houston area - near lots of clubs, but we do get hurricanes and sometimes freezing weather.  Since we had Hurricane Harvey last year, we're not due for another major one for a few years.  Judge Roy Bean and Justice Lilly Kate live here.

Evil Roy and Wicked Felina live in Dublin, TX having moved from Colorado to Texas

1 hour ago, Lorelei Longshot, SASS #44256 Life said:

Texas - SASS clubs everywhere.  

North Texas gets some cold weather with freezes and snow. Comin' at ya is famous, but lots of clubs nearby in Arkansas and Louisiana too.

South Texas - can be HOT

Central Texas - beautiful hills (not mountains, but still nice)

East Texas - Piney Woods - beautiful, rarely have hard freezes - also near Louisiana and not to far from Arkansas

Houston area - near lots of clubs, but we do get hurricanes and sometimes freezing weather.  Judge Roy Bean and Justice Lilly Kate live here.

Evil Roy and Wicked Felina live in Dublin, TX having moved from Colorado to Texas

I love Texas, I love the folks who live there and I love the shoots I've attended there (just came back from Comin at cha) but I'm just too used to mountains to live there, even in the hill country.

11 hours ago, Charlie Whiskers said:

Lumpy...read it again please. What I said was  "SOME Californian's are trying to make Montana (or their area of it) be like where they left, but won't move back to where they left". Those are the ones that need the highway strip electronic terminator.

I also said " Although there's quite a few Cal transplant's that moved here for the freedom of life we have here." I know quite a few former Californian's that moved here (Montana) years ago, and not that long ago, and I consider them close friends. So please re-read what I posted in the original post above.

I would really enjoy meeting you in person someday after you move here. Maybe even get a chance to shoot with you and yours.

Thank you Charlie, I would very much like for that meeting to happen. ;)

After re-reading the post-You have a very valid point.

My apologies:excl: My remark did not need to be that 'sharp'. -_-

OLG

18 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Funny thing, but in recent years there have been several news stories of Seattle police having guns stolen out of their personal or patrol cars. One was the acting police chief at the time. I wonder how the new law would treat those guys?

I would think south of 34 degrees N Latitude. But you have those hurricane's along coast and just personally I would leave out California (sorry). Many places to choose from Arizona, my favorite, to the East coast. Just go south of that 34 degree N. and should have good weather year around. Good luck. Missouri is great where I live, but it will get below zero in the winter which ain't no fun. This Saturday will be around 15 degrees in the morning. Way off normal but that is the normal for Missouri.:lol:

36 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

I would think south of 34 degrees N longitude.

That might be very difficult. Latitude would b easier.:D

6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

That might be very difficult. Latitude would b easier.:D

Oops good luck, better go with Latitude:rolleyes:

Fixed it:ph34r:

23 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

He had a problem with folks like me that can’t do a lot of the posse chores.

Well, you just come on & shoot with me n Petey.  We have no problem with folks who can't do posse chores.  I have something of a problem with people who won't do posse chores.  Ever.  Don't even stick around til their posse has finished shooting.  That sort of not-the-cowboy-way.

7 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I just Googled and found 10 states with the best climate and CA was No. 1, SIGH!

Ypu can’t deny that california had many things going for it.

46 minutes ago, MizPete said:

Well, you just come on & shoot with me n Petey.  We have no problem with folks who can't do posse chores.  I have something of a problem with people who won't do posse chores.  Ever.  Don't even stick around til their posse has finished shooting.  That sort of not-the-cowboy-way.

I’d like to, I watch the unload table. 

Archived