SASS Wire Forum

Don't be afraid to try

Doc Shapiro

After one drink too many, I ended up with an idea.  May be a bad one.  May not.  I thought it would be fun to do a "throwback" style match.  Props to handle on the clock, targets out a little farther than normal, split shotgun, pistol and rifle reloads, etc.  Stages like Chuckaroo wrote when I lived in Maryland.  Look at that @Chuckaroo #13080 Regulator, you're an inspiration B)!

Today I finished writing the stages.  I still have one prop to get (anyone got a spare leather bag or empty shot bag lyin around?).  I ran them by one of our local match directors and got the go-ahead.  We're working out a date, November 11 is likely for Cowboy Town here outside Sacramento, pending the weather.  It is the rainy season after all.  Even better, there's a regular match on Nov 10, so it'll be 2 in a row!

Anyway, my point of all this is, if you're not happy with something, or want to initiate some change, then do it!  Who knows, it might actually work out.

Doc

Our stages as well as our posses are Olde School and we have a lot of fun with props, start lines, props that require action on the clock before the beep, bonuses etc.

We may not all be shooting IPSIC in cowboy clothes but we have a lot of fun and our members love it.

We are enjoying our second childhood far more than our first.

Bonus Swinger Grenville.jpg

48_zpsl93puxkw.jpg

Cowboy Action 358.jpg

Cowboy Action 500.jpg

More Cowboy Action 304.jpg

01_zps59e60bf4.jpg

I hold 2 matches a year that I call the "Retro" matches at the Jefferson Outlaws in PA. We do everything that you'll talking about and more.  Lots of things to do on the clock that don't involve shooting. Many of us "ole timers" in the area miss those old days. Actually, those 2 matches are my highest attended matches of the year. It's fun to go "old school" once in a while.

6 minutes ago, Red-Eyed Kid, SASS # 37263 said:

I hold 2 matches a year that I call the "Retro" matches at the Jefferson Outlaws in PA. We do everything that you'll talking about and more.  Lots of things to do on the clock that don't involve shooting. Many of us "ole timers" in the area miss those old days. Actually, those 2 matches are my highest attended matches of the year. It's fun to go "old school" once in a while.

I believe we met at an annual match at that club about 16 years ago!  I still have the brass bag that was given out with the shooters packet.  I use it every match.

Hi Doc,

I say go for it!!

Would you video the match or parts of it so we all can see it?  I'd love to watch you folks do an "old style" match!  :lol:

All the best, 

Mo

Actually Doc, probably more like 17-18 years ago, that's when I was a "newbie"

I remember you were one of the first shooters that "took me under your wing" and tried to show me some "pointers" and such. You also invited me to your house (when you lived in Elkridge, MD.) and installed some lighter springs in my Rugers for me, before I learned how to do that stuff for myself.

I remember shooting many a match with you when you lived in the MD. area.  AAhhh the good ole days....

9 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

After one drink too many, I ended up with an idea.  May be a bad one.  May not.  I thought it would be fun to do a "throwback" style match.  Props to handle on the clock, targets out a little farther than normal, split shotgun, pistol and rifle reloads, etc.  Stages like Chuckaroo wrote when I lived in Maryland.  Look at that @Chuckaroo #13080 Regulator, you're an inspiration B)!

Today I finished writing the stages.  I still have one prop to get (anyone got a spare leather bag or empty shot bag lyin around?).  I ran them by one of our local match directors and got the go-ahead.  We're working out a date, November 11 is likely for Cowboy Town here outside Sacramento, pending the weather.  It is the rainy season after all.  Even better, there's a regular match on Nov 10, so it'll be 2 in a row!

Anyway, my point of all this is, if you're not happy with something, or want to initiate some change, then do it!  Who knows, it might actually work out.

Doc

Got a bag for ya but it is a bit of a drive. Variety is a good thing in stages unless you are hell bent on running everything in less that 20 seconds. That gets old too. Hope you are doing well Doc.

We use to have a cast iron bath tub ya had to get into and shoot out of and the second floor cat house (sorry Allie) we climbed up the stairs on the clock. Of course the rifle targets were 50-80 yards out. Toss the bank bag full of gold into the box or sticks of dynamite all on the clock. Was a little different back then.

I love a match with lots of props, ropes, doors and store fronts and various other things of such.  I'll take a match with these over a stand and deliver any day of the week! 

The stages of years ago sound appealing to a lot of the "old guard" at times. But the fact is if we want to go back on a regular basis it's going to require a complete culture change of the game. We just had our MI State Championship this last weekend. 8 of 10 had LOTS of movement, 1 stage was minimal and 1 was "stand and deliver". Stand and deliver stages actually create their own challenges but if that nuance is lost on some I'm not sure that other efforts will be appreciated either. Wherever this "IPSC with cowboy hats" is happening I guess I'm fortunate to not have to experience it.............

As I near the 3/4 century mark I fondly remember shooting from under the table or wagon.  Running and climbing the ladder to the loft shooting and swinging on the rope back down to the ground.  Truly those were the days my friends, however the nostalgia is mostly for my youth.  The over 65 group, which quite likely is the age of a majority of the active members of SASS,  have trouble getting down to shoot from under something safely much less getting back up.  Another issue is as we age our eyes are not as sharp as they once were, long shots at small targets are harder.  So basically the game has changed to accommodate  the frailties of the majority.  Nostalgia is fine but mostly its just wanting 20 years taken off the clock.  

I fully understand that age or even a handicap can keep some from enjoying these "nostalgia" type scenarios (getting down shooting below a fence or climbing over something etc. for example) But I believe there are still many things that can be done with props and such that don't require that kind of movement.  I mean simple things like shooting from a store front with swinging doors & windows, horse props for firearms staging, starting the clock by placing a coiled rope over a cow prop, bar/poker game scenarios, etc.  All this can still be done for people of all ages and mobility to enjoy if done right.  I'm lucky enough to be able to attend a few clubs around me and some are into prop usage and I love that.  But I also understand some prefer the stand and deliver.  To each their own.  Some clubs seem to also recognize that people like different things and try to incorporate such into their monthly matches by having some stages prop driven, some with more movement and some that are stand and deliver.  

Good luck Doc, I like what you're doing.  I'd love to be able to attend if not so far away.

As I have often said; this game does not have to be 100% all or nothing.

The Eldorado Cowboys are well known for big, fast, close matches.  

But in May; we use our smaller annual event as a "Legacy" match that remembers the things we used to do while integrating them into the style matches we do today.

Just because you insert an on the clock action does not require a corresponding increase in target distance.

Silly props do not require complex shooting sequences.

Props, off the clock and on the clock actions, sequences, target distances, target sizing, movement, round counts, reloads, silly stories and starting lines are all completely independent components of a stage or match.

A match director can and should intermix these items as best serves their match and shooters.

We are not bound by regulation or standardization; we have access to unlimited options for the creation of our matches.  A bounty of ingredients that we can mix and match.

And when possible, offer varied options to your shooters so they may shoot the match in the manner most enjoyable to them.

The Eldorado Cowboys are blessed with individual bays for shooting; so we use a fair amount of down range movement (often using rifle targets for downrange pistol).

When downrange is offered; we allow shooters option of engaging at differing distances. 

If a shooter feels their accuracy is superior to their fleetness of foot; a shooter may choose to remain in place and shoot pistols from same range as rifle or move downrange until they are comfortable (I know how accurate I am, so I move as close as allowed).  

But this allowance to move or not gives the accuracy and more distant target contingent a bit of an outlet.

Always keep in mind that we are in the entertainment business and tailor the best product possible to your customers. 

Doc; best of luck with your event.

We old shooters that remember the stages from 15 years ago, don't forget we are all shooting Elder Statesman or Silver Senior categories now.  Most of us can't climb up on a stag coach or lug a dummy around and shoot anymore, the knees, hips, elbows and arthritis just won't let it happen.  Just enjoy the fact that we are still able to shoot and enjoy a NEW style match.   Any time you are busting caps is a good time.

I think props make it fun.  Any age can carry a bag of gold from one position to another or throw a stick of dynamite between shooting guns.  I agree, laying on the ground and shooting from under the wagon is probably a thing of the past.  One of my favorite props is the spitoon.  Have the shooter retrieve their shotgun shells from the spitoon 1/2 full of dried beans.  Shooter activated moving/swinging targets are fun too.

Props are a lot of fun. We still use them about 50-60% of the time. Like was said, age, mobility, health and other issues make it a little difficult for some,,, (of us). :rolleyes: But if you're in a good club with good people, like I am, you'll still have fun. Do whatcha' can, if ya' can. But don't give up, hang in there. I'm wheelchair bound , but about every 3 mos. my pard will come by for me to shoot our monthly match. I'll stay with his family for the weekend and then he'll bring me back, ( I'm in another city). I don't get treated any different, (sometimes I wish they would :D,,,,,, not really). I still have a ball. I can still handle some of the props. Again ,,,, do whatcha' can. S/G gets to me sitting down ,,,,,,,, haven't figured it out yet. 

YMMV,

Isom

Doc ;

Sounds to me like you would like Shooting in Western Canada !!!

So next Summer come on up , bring about 5,000 rounds of Pistol , and the Same for the Rifle  and about 2,500 Shotshells ....

And shoot with us from the June 27 till the Labour Day week-end, You can always buy more ammo, or load more at my place if needed...

Jabez Cowboy

We have two shoots a month at one of the local clubs.  One old school, one up close and fast... guess  which gets more shooters.   A hint it's not the up close match.    There are more older shooters for the old style matches as wellContrary to those that state it's only the younger people that want more movement and excitement.  

I am badly arthritic in both knees.

I wear rigid braces on both knees, use a cane or crutches when the pain is too bad and I am dealing with some other health issues.

As long as I can move laterally or forward, to complete a stage, I'm going to play the game.

Howdy Doc

Bring on the old stuff. I used to love doing stuff that had nothing to do with shooting on the clock.

Here is a photo of Wild Bill Blackerby in jail. We had to bust out of jail on the clock before the shooting started.

wildbill_jail_zps628uijub.jpg

I have been shooting CAS since 1992,  I remember watching the person ahead of me shooting while lying behind a saddle.   He soon realized you can not lever the rifle and for each shot he had to role to his side, lever shoot role on his side lever and shoot.    The shooter was John Taffin { Sixgunner}.   I also remember escaping from a jail and then shooting.    I remember shooting from one of the mechanical horses that used to be in front of the stores.   When we shot those stages we had 75-80 shooters at a monthly match.   Now we are lucky to get 12 shooters.   Bullett 19707

Howdy,

Once a year the Oak Ridge Outlaws have their "Reunion" Match with "Old School" type stages. Although it's a hoot, I wouldn't want a steady diet of nostalgia. The three SASS clubs I regularly attend have very few "Stand & Deliver" scenarios.. All three use multiple shooting positions with both lateral and down range movement shooting generous targets at closer range than the "Good Ole Days". I started shooting when I was 53 and am now pushing 70. I witnessed the change in CAS matches and have adapted without too much struggle. The game is faster with light loaded firearms. I can't even work empty guns in a 10-10-4+ "stand & deliver" scenario in 15 seconds. I shoot against me and enjoy the game as long as I can. Too many fine folks to just walk away from over trivial matters.

Hasta Luego, Keystone

At the Texas Historical Shootist Society, we've increased the target size, and shortened the distance, to pacify those that want to shoot that way. I've shot enough clean stages that it's no big deal.

So, when we started the Sharpshooter category, I was excited again.

Pistols are shot at rifle targets at 30 to 40 yards, and rifles are shot at the Cody-Dixon rifle targets, about 100 yards out. Shotgun targets are the same for everyone. I haven't cleaned a match yet, but Jedediah (10 years old) has shot it clean, so it can be done.

We've had to revise the scenario at Fort Finn, too. We used to climb stairs to a landing, then up to a Block House, and then down to another landing, and down to the ground. Too many folks couldn't make the climb, so the Fort was remodeled. It's still a neat structure, but...….

For the Stand and Deliver, we have a life-size standing bear that is not too big to miss, as many have found.

So, with all of the categories available, there are ways to satisfy almost everyone. Find one that suits your pistol, as JB Books said.

Archived