SASS Wire Forum

The Jackalopes Rut is Starting

Here is a fine article with rare photos.  It amazes me how some wildlife photographers can get such amazing photographs. 

How do they do it?

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/jackalope-rut-full-swing-wyoming/?utm_campaign=inline

That's amazing.  I don't think I've ever gotten within 200 yards of any jackalope growing up in southern Oregon.  The just run off into the sage...  B)

They hide pretty good in Texas too !!! :D

Back in the 50's, my uncle would take me hunting for Naughas.  Although I never spotted one myself, naughas were almost overhunted for their skins by commercial hunters using fully-semi-auto-matic AR-15s with rapid-fire-high-capacity-clips.  I hear that the naugha herds have made a dramatic comeback since nobody today upholsters their furniture with naughhyde.

35 minutes ago, Jax T said:

They hide pretty good in Texas too !!! :D

Yeah, we only have the Jennies on our property.

9 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Back in the 50's, my uncle would take me hunting for Naughas.  Although I never spotted one myself, naughas were almost overhunted for their skins by commercial hunters using fully-semi-auto-matic AR-15s with rapid-fire-high-capacity-clips.  I hear that the naugha herds have made a dramatic comeback since nobody today upholsters their furniture with naughhyde.

:lol: MT

I ain't seen any Jackalope's in E.TN, atleast none that are in the Rut.

BUT, my neighbor owns about 200 acres behind my house and during the twilight hours, if you listen closely, you can hear the faint 'yelp'  (almost like a cry) of a Naugha.    They like to gather by the pond during the late evenings and feed on dragon flies that swarm around the pond and the skeeters.

When you go down to the pond during the early morning hours, you can still see their paw prints around the dirt bank.   And of course, some of their 'territorial markings' are also visible.

..........Widder

28 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

You'll still find some some Naughas in Connecticut. They tuck them there and make seat covers. See Naugatuck Ct. Due to overuse in cars they are rare these days, but possibly not as rare as a nice Jackalope as in your photos abopve.

It's really too bad that photographer didn't get a shot of a lone Jackalope in his collection. Majestic creatures for sure. So elusive. I thought they were all extinct and since Stuckey's pretty much vanished even the stuffed ones are rare. The ones on Amazon and Ebay are expensive and more than likely they are fakes but I know the ones from Stuckey's and from Pilot truck stops were absolutely real...:D

2 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Tastes like chicken.

Kinda tastes like possum that's been boiled in vinegar water. :wacko:

I too miss Possum Trot and I was only there for the last one.

Folks have shown that the Jackolopes may be making a population come back. But, no-one has answered the real underlying question - “where does a naugahyde?”

1 hour ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Folks have shown that the Jackolopes may be making a population come back. But, no-one has answered the real underlying question - “where does a naugahyde?”

They don't---They're in plain open site in Connecticut and on furniture! It's more of a noun than verb!

2 hours ago, Too Tall Bob said:

The same place they do in Texas...Behind all the trees...

Texas Lizard

Wow! Looks like I’m going to have to to my storage unit and dig out my portable jackalope blind and head for Wyoming!

What caliber do you folks use for the wily little critters? I’m thinking maybe a .300 Jackout would suffice. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Wild Will Bartell said:

Wow! Looks like I’m going to have to to my storage unit and dig out my portable jackalope blind and head for Wyoming!

What caliber do you folks use for the wily little critters? I’m thinking maybe a .300 Jackout would suffice. :rolleyes:

If you just have to go small bore, I suggest nothing less than a .30-378 Weatherby.

Just a reminder to y'all who plan on hunting Jackalopes.  You must build a special blind and shoot the critter through the blind's gun show loophole. 

But all you experienced Jackalope hunters probably already know about the need for blinds with a gun show loophole.

Oh, and before you shoot, do a thorough background check.

Picture of a rare boreal jackalope. You can tell by the width of the antler palms

9DF995DE-6DE3-4A11-906D-C05D43F9CC70.jpeg

17 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

That's BS, aint no animal goes into rut in March. Put your guns away! That story was printed last November.

;) Speak for yourself, Pete!!  B)

Archived