SASS Wire Forum

Unflavored vodkas: is there really any difference between them?

Hellgate #3302 L

OK, So I took a lot of chemistry courses in college. In one experiment we measured specific quantities of sugar, water, yeast and let it ferment and then distilled it. There were 3 phases of the condensation. The first was at fairly low temperature condensate that held the highly volatile vapors with some water vapor, then I remember that at a certain temperature just below the boiling point of H2O you'd get a distillate that was 95/5 (95% ethanol/5% water) then when that middle portion cooked off the third portion was condensed at the higher boiling point of water. The first and third fractions contain the bad stuff and the middle the good stuff, the 95% alcohol. Now, my question is, is there any difference between some real cheapo vodka (pretty much all say triple distilled) and the expensive stuff? My chemistry mind says ethanol is ethanol and any flavoring is due to the storage container (e.g. charred oak barrel, etc).

Whether the fermentation is from potatoes, sugar, molasses, sour mash, malted grains, etc. it ought to all taste the same if distilled carefully so I'm wondering if a lot of booze is distilled at a different temperature depending on the mash/mix of the ferment. I've tasted Georgia Moon (a moonshine sold in mason jars) and it has a corny taste that makes me wonder how it got in there since it was not aged. My thinking is that Everclear might as well be the vodka of choice.

I don't know about the differences between how they make the different brands, but there is certainly a difference in taste. Skyy is my everyday drinking vodka, while Grey Goose is my treat myself vodka. Both are 40% by volume.

I learned a long time ago,buy the best liquor you can afford. I prefer potato vodka. For grain vodka the lowest grade I drink is Smirnoff. Skyy is good, Chopin is better. The Midwest has a number of boutique vodkas but I don't follow fashion trends. If I have my choice,I drink Lusosova Polish vodka. Tastes a bit sweeter than grain vodka.

Most vodka is made from wheat, not potato.  Europe did not even know what a potato was until sometime after 1492 and they were making vodka a long time before that.  Skyy is made from wheat. Vodkas made from potato are listed here.

http://vodka.underthelabel.com/d/d/Potato  I never heard of any of them.

the difference in vodkas is how well all of the other non etahanol are removed.  SKYY claims to be nearly congener-free as do most vodkas and commercial moonshines. Maybe the difference is the water they use to get it down to a sellable percentage of alcohol.

I suppose the simple answer is that Vodkas are not only ethanol and water but perhaps.001% something else that does not need to be listed as an ingredient.

What Marshal Mo Hare said.  "the difference in vodkas is how well all of the other non etahanol are removed."

To a college freshman chemistry student, ethanol is ethanol and theoretically that is all you get after distilling a grain.  Theoretically it all tastes the same and Everclear is as good as Grey Goose.

To a seasoned chemical engineer, master distiller, or aficionado of find distillates, there is SO much more that goes into the flavor of an un-aged grain-neutral alcohol.

What grain was used?  Vodkas tend towards wheat or potatoes.  Whiskeys towards corn and rye.  Each grain adds its own flavor even before being put in an oak barrel or having something added.

What yeast was used?

How much sugar went into the process?

What's the composition of water used in the process?  This will have a huge impact on final flavor.  Most distilleries and breweries now use RO water purification systems to produce H2O that is so pure it will not conduct electricity.  Then they add back minerals and elements to achieve a repeatable water composition that provides the final flavor they're seeking.

I hope this helps.

14 hours ago, Hellgate #3302 L said:

...Now, my question is, is there any difference between some real cheapo vodka (pretty much all say triple distilled) and the expensive stuff? 

Yes there is. 

The hangover.

:huh:

I will also add this personal observation...

When using vodka as a mixer, especially when its overwhelmed with juices and its function is reduced to little more than inebriation, I tend to use cheaper brands.

In a martini, the nicer brands' flavors show through.;)

My palate is so unsophisticated that I suspect that a premium vodka would go unnoticed and under appreciated. Since most of my imbibition is with mixed drinks I'll probably always be a "bottom shelf" shopper. However, I appreciate the lessons posted here. I just knew that a saloon was the best place to ask a drinking question. Thanks all.

HI Folks,

Not all Vodka is made from potatoes. However, it is growing in popularity.

Hubby's cocktail of choice was a Vodka Tonic. When we found out he was allergic to Gluten, I found out that many Vodkas are made from grains. At that time a potato Vodka was a rarity.

My mixer Vodka is Absolut and Martini favorite is Grey Goose.

Regards,

Allie

PS My favorite place to have lunch, The National Hotel in Jackson CA, uses Luksusowa Vodka as their well Vodka. It is No. 1 on Marshal Mo Hare's link. Previously, they used Titos.

PPS When I was researching Vodkas, Chopin was grape-based. I see it is now potato. In the taste test Hubby liked Monopolwa, which I bought at Trader Joe's. They still carry it for $10.99.

Quality vodka will lessen the after effects.  Granted I know if you drink an entire bottle you will like crap.  But my buddy who drinks martini's regularly only buys Gray Goose because he feels better the next morning after a couple drinks.

I don't drink vodka much myself but the vodka my pal brought back from Poland was Aaaaaamazing!

Trader Joes sells wodka?  Hot diggity.  I mis-spelled Luksusowa.  Thanks Allie.  I think it is purty good stuff.  It is good with tonic water.  I think even Chopin makes a grain vodka along with a potato one.  Using grapes if made into wine would get you brandy after distillation.  I guess if you made a mash of it or a wort, didn't take it all the way to wine, it could be made into vodka.  All liquors are clear after distillation, I think.  They get their color from the storage containers used to age them.  Someone who knows what they are talking about chime in here.  I know just enough to be dangerous.

If you want some really funky grain liquor, try Aquavit.  As the story goes, Aquavit is aged in barrels and is transported across the sea to below the equator and back.  The trip supposedly gives it time to age and get its distinct flavor.  So my dad says.  Maybe in a day before liquors were aged or stored properly, this was the case.  I still won't drink it.

2 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

HI Folks,

Not all Vodka is made from potatoes. However, it is growing in popularity.

Hubby's cocktail of choice was a Vodka Tonic. When we found out he was allergic to Gluten, I found out that many Vodkas are made from grains. At that time a potato Vodka was a rarity.

My mixer Vodka is Absolut and Martini favorite is Grey Goose.

Regards,

Allie

He can go back to the wheat Vodkas if he is a mind to, although made from wheat all gluten is removed in the distilling process. No gluten in any distilled spirits whiskey, vodka, etc.

3 minutes ago, Frio Kid, SASS #31915 said:

He can go back to the wheat Vodkas if he is a mind to, although made from wheat all gluten is removed in the distilling process. No gluten in any distilled spirits whiskey, vodka, etc.

Thanks for the thought, Kid. However, he rarely drinks anymore (maybe four beers a year). If he does, it is Coors Light.

On 3/29/2017 at 5:08 PM, Hellgate #3302 L said:

...... Now, my question is, is there any difference between some real cheapo vodka (pretty much all say triple distilled) and the expensive stuff? ....

.......My thinking is that Everclear might as well be the vodka of choice.....

Yes, there is a big difference between cheap crap and expensive stuff.

I am not one for vodka, but Reyka is really damn smooth.

Everclear is not ment to be drank straight, it is a mixer.....tastes really bad too. (yes....I was dumb enough to taste it straight)

The thing about distillation and filtering is that it is not only pure ethanol and water.  There are traces of other things that go along for the ride. That is why they distil more than one time and why they get a 195 proof ethanol, a little H20 goes along with it because alcohol loves water.

If I am at a cocktail party or such, which is maybe once or twice a year, I will typically have vodka and tonic. Yes, even my unseasoned palette can taste the difference between a better vodka and a cheaper one. I tend toward Absolut when I can. I have had a bottle of Stolichnaya held up next to a bottle of very cheap vodka, and the Stoli was clear like water, while the cheaper one was, for lack of a better description, "oily" looking. It put me in the mind of kerosene or something. I'm sure it had to do with filtration and all that.

Generally, I will stick to Guinness.

Howdy,

One day feeling adventurous I had a Guinness with lunch.

First drink I thought it  was terrible, But after a few more sips it got better.

At the end of the mug, I had another. Limit 2 at lunch.

Give things an honest try. First sip can be deceptive.

Best

CR

5 hours ago, DocWard said:

If I am at a cocktail party or such, which is maybe once or twice a year, I will typically have vodka and tonic. Yes, even my unseasoned palette can taste the difference between a better vodka and a cheaper one. I tend toward Absolut when I can. I have had a bottle of Stolichnaya held up next to a bottle of very cheap vodka, and the Stoli was clear like water, while the cheaper one was, for lack of a better description, "oily" looking. It put me in the mind of kerosene or something. I'm sure it had to do with filtration and all that.

Generally, I will stick to Guinness.

That's why you sprinkle pepper in it.

Ain't you never read James Bond? ;)

On 3/29/2017 at 4:22 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

It's still just potato squeezings. Put'n flavor in Vodka, is like when you put lipstick on a tur.............OH, nevermind.:D

OLG

Not all vodka is made from potatoes.

Wheat - Absolut, Renat

Barley - Finlandia

Grapes - Ciroc

Grain - Skyy, New Amsterdam

Corn -Tito's

My personal favorite these days is Tito's. made in Texas. Okie Sawbones recommended it to me.

• 3 months later...

http://homedistiller.org/

i remembered this topic while I was reading this website about home distilling (New Zealand).  The fermentation process produces many compounds which evaporate at temperatures near to that of ethanol and water.  Thus the difference between unflavored vodkas depends on how well those other compounds are removed from the distillates and, if not removed, what those compounds are.

My go to Vodka. Yeah. It's from Texas. :D

http://crasstalk.com/2013/05/booze-review-titos-vodka/

IMG_0590.JPG

On 4/6/2017 at 1:54 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Not all vodka is made from potatoes.

Wheat - Absolut, Renat

Barley - Finlandia

Grapes - Ciroc

Grain - Skyy, New Amsterdam

Corn -Tito's

My personal favorite these days is Tito's. made in Texas. Okie Sawbones recommended it to me.

I usually would buy Absolut or Grey Goose for vodka. Would never think about using vodka in a martini ( which I love). Gin only. 

Then I got introduced to Svedka. Really smooth and great in a Bloody Mary. Taste of the liquor does does a difference in a mixed drink. Then the other day I got turned on to Titos and it's great! 

Archived