SASS Wire Forum

Unflavored vodkas: is there really any difference between them?

Hellgate #3302 L

I recently went on a distillery tour and learned something interesting that's relevant here.  What makes a distilled spirit vodka, whiskey, or moonshine (this place made all 3) is the proof at which it's distilled.  Not the final proof, as they'll all be cut with water to bring them back to something women and children can handle, but the proof as it comes out the worm.  Vodka is among the highest proofs, whiskey is among the lowest.  The lower the cooking proof, the more flavor that gets passed on.  That's why whiskey retains so much flavor from it's core components.  According to the still master (or whatever they're called) giving the tour, vodka is cooked so high that it barely matters what it's made of.  i specifically asked something to the effect of "Isn't the vodka made from potatoes!" to get this lesson.  He said he cannot taste the difference in ingredients if the vodka is made right. 

If there's a difference in brands, it's probably because of how high they manage to distill (there is a range that's acceptable for vodka) and the quality of the water they use to cut it. 

5 hours ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

I usually would buy Absolut or Grey Goose for vodka. Would never think about using vodka in a martini ( which I love). Gin only. 

Then I got introduced to Svedka. Really smooth and great in a Bloody Mary. Taste of the liquor does does a difference in a mixed drink. Then the other day I got turned on to Titos and it's great! 

Ditto on Absolut or Grey Goose. Sorry, I don't drink Gin in a Martini. I tried Tito's in a Martini and, well, never mind, you don't wanna know..

Howdy, But inquiring minds DO wanna know, yup.

I kinda thought this had been gone over, backed up over and hit again.

Guess not.....

Best

CR

I went out looking for grape vodka. I couldn't find it but the guy said

he had it stashed behind the counter. 750 ml bottle for 29.99 plus tax Outch.

Seems if they put it on the shelves it all got shoplifted.....

So SOMEBODY can tell the differences.

At this same store 1.75 l of vodka priced at about 14 bucks.

Maybe if I find a bar that sells a shot......

I've mentioned before that I married a Latvian girl.  Many interesting cultural confrontations when courting, but one of the most striking was alcohol.  No solid Latvian immigrant lacked a bar in their basement.  Her godfather, a builder in Canada, took me aside on our first visit, to "find out what kind of man I was".  I should have known what was coming.

Two 12 oz. water tumblers; double shots of Melnais Balzams ("Black Balsams", a Latvian liqueur made with linden blossom, birch bud, valerian root, raspberry, bilberry and ginger as well as touches of nutmeg and black peppercorn, with the consistency of molasses), cut with vodka.  Sipping was not allowed.

That vodka may have been either spectacular or horrible; I have no memory. :wacko:

LL

56 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I've mentioned before that I married a Latvian girl.  Many interesting cultural confrontations when courting, but one of the most striking was alcohol.  No solid Latvian immigrant lacked a bar in their basement.  Her godfather, a builder in Canada, took me aside on our first visit, to "find out what kind of man I was".  I should have known what was coming.

Two 12 oz. water tumblers; double shots of Melnais Balzams ("Black Balsams", a Latvian liqueur made with linden blossom, birch bud, valerian root, raspberry, bilberry and ginger as well as touches of nutmeg and black peppercorn, with the consistency of molasses), cut with vodka.  Sipping was not allowed.

That vodka may have been either spectacular or horrible; I have no memory. :wacko:

LL

Chances are that it was horrible, otherwise it would have been the star of the evening, served neat and cold.

Ramblin' Gambler,

You just answered part of my original question. I didn't realize that boozes were distilled at different temperatures. I guess that is why Georgia Moon (guaranteed less than 30 days old-moonshine sold in a Mason jar) actually has a "corny" taste. Definitely an acquired taste.

On 3/30/2017 at 11:40 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Everclear is good for cleaning corks when I make wine.

Also good for airlocks when brewing beer !

16 hours ago, Hellgate #3302 L said:

Ramblin' Gambler,

You just answered part of my original question. I didn't realize that boozes were distilled at different temperatures. I guess that is why Georgia Moon (guaranteed less than 30 days old-moonshine sold in a Mason jar) actually has a "corny" taste. Definitely an acquired taste.

Just to be clear, when we talk about it being distilled 'hot', we mean it's a higher proof.  The funny thing about that is that you get the higher proof by cooking it at a lower temperature.  But cook temperature isn't the only determining factor.  The alcohol content of the mash is also pretty important. Spirits like vodka will get more time to ferment and some adjustments to the yeast and sugar so there's more alcohol to extract. 

Archived