SASS Wire Forum

What kind of Cowboy are you?

prophetic_joe

So I have been thinking about this. I have my guns, I have my hat, sooner or later I will have my leather and some starter attire but how do I know what kind of cowboy I am? How do I find my persona? My name? How did you know which Cowboy character was right for you? I know that some like to be all about the shooting but this is sort of about playing Cowboys too right so beyond the shooting which is the reason I am mainly interested, how do I get into the playing cowboy aspect?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm Irish, and the best job I ever had was tending bar. That was my inspiration for Barkeep Casey. How would you see yourself living in the old west or on film?

I think I was born a Cowboy, In highschool I worked Summers at the "Gang" Ranch In northern B.C.,I used to Rodeo , owned Horses,come from a Ranch heritage...

I is Cowboy, I live in Cow Country Canada my trading area has 1,700,000 cows and 10,000 folks...

So for me the Fit was a natural ... I believe in GOD and Country ...

Hench my Handle ...

Jabez Cowboy

I have 6 gran children.

They call me Gran'pa.

My wife and friends call me JF or Jef

Thus, Gran'pa Jef was obvious...

Watch a bunch of cowboy movies , you're gonna identify with a cowboy who wears a black hat or a white one.

Start out basic and just let it happen. Come enjoy the fun and get as crazy as you like.(persona wise that is)

Take Care.......Faygo Kid ......mine came from a local pop company TV ad from back in the 50's

my wife pulled alias out of thin air, all the good ones, from movies and shows, was taken when I joined.

I dress like a cowhand or B Western,,, all depends on how I'm feeling that day.. or category I'm shooting

Just don't use anything with Cheyenne or Culpepper. Folks will look at you funny, then look away and fast walk the other way. :P

So I have been thinking about this. I have my guns, I have my hat, sooner or later I will have my leather and some starter attire but how do I know what kind of cowboy I am? How do I find my persona? My name? How did you know which Cowboy character was right for you? I know that some like to be all about the shooting but this is sort of about playing Cowboys too right so beyond the shooting which is the reason I am mainly interested, how do I get into the playing cowboy aspect?

Been shooting CAS/SASS for almost 15 years. What in the heck is a persona? Less than one percent of the cowboys I know represent a character from history, movies or TV. I would not get too worked up about it, if you do not have it, wait a while and it will come to you.

Come out and shoot... jeans, work boots (none grip sole), and button up work shirt are the only requirements. As for aliases, I've seen folks walk right up to register wonderin' what their alias was going to be... And it hits 'em like a sledgehammer... or someone will volunteer something for ya, (not always a good thing)! As for dress, either you'll see someone's get-up that you like, and fashion yourself into a similar outfit. I've seen miners, railroad engineers, store clerks, bankers, vaqueros of various types from the US and Mexico, soldiers of all rank and rate, scouts and mayoral types, from horseshoers to pimps, bartenders to gamblers, even recall seeing a Chinese laundryman. Dandy's and "gentleman hunters", as well as aristocrats of the European variety. Not to mention cowboys and indians (of various tribes). Remember, you have the whole Wild, Wild, West to take inspiration from... don't limit yourself to thinkin' "just cowboy." Plus, "cowboy" spread a pretty wide net in terms of style, dress, and accoutrements.

If you've got guns, leather, and appropriate ammo, there's nothing to stop you from comin' out an' playin'! Unlike when you were a youngster, you don't need Momma's permission! Or, do ya? (under 18, 21 in some parts).

Come out and shoot... jeans, work boots (none grip sole), and button up work shirt are the only requirements.

If you've got guns, leather, and appropriate ammo, there's nothing to stop you from comin' out an' playin'! Unlike when you were a youngster, you don't need Momma's permission! Or, do ya? (under 18, 21 in some parts).

I've got jeans and a hat. I don't have a button up shirt or any type of allowable boot. Still looking for a good place to buy either.

I do have ammo and guns but I was waiting on leather until I knew of a good place to get some at a good price. My pistols are Ruger New Vaqueros in 357. One is the 4.62" barrel and one is the Montado with the 3.75".

As far as characters from westerns that I have felt some type of connection to

bill-paxton-600.jpgstairs.jpg

young-guns-charlie-sheen-560.jpg

Come out and shoot... jeans, work boots (none grip sole), and button up work shirt are the only requirements. As for aliases, I've seen folks walk right up to register wonderin' what their alias was going to be... And it hits 'em like a sledgehammer... or someone will volunteer something for ya, (not always a good thing)! As for dress, either you'll see someone's get-up that you like, and fashion yourself into a similar outfit. I've seen miners, railroad engineers, store clerks, bankers, vaqueros of various types from the US and Mexico, soldiers of all rank and rate, scouts and mayoral types, from horseshoers to pimps, bartenders to gamblers, even recall seeing a Chinese laundryman. Dandy's and "gentleman hunters", as well as aristocrats of the European variety. Not to mention cowboys and indians (of various tribes). Remember, you have the whole Wild, Wild, West to take inspiration from... don't limit yourself to thinkin' "just cowboy." Plus, "cowboy" spread a pretty wide net in terms of style, dress, and accoutrements.

+1 Just be a late 19th Century person and you don't have to be captive to your alias. I dress military, cowboy, railroad and dandy and enjoy all my costumes.

One of the great things about cowboy action shooting is it permits one to have multiple personalities...I can be a different person at every match!

Hint: villains have the most fun. 😀

As a child my great ambition was to play piano in a lounge/bar. My ambitions matured, but my attraction to a good old smelly bar remain, so the pianist/gun fighter Ivery Keys was born. Always enjoy reading how we pick our aliases...

Regards,

Ivery

I Iiked the cavalry uniforms in SASS BUT NO WAY could I wear doggie clothes so I researched and found 1875 Marine Corps uniforms. "Mud Marine" is an inside joke that Marines understand in my case. :-)

The group I will shoot with I guess is an outlaw club? They aren't Sass affiliated anymore or something. But they go for historical authenticity I guess. Said lace up work boots are OK and button down shirt and jeans at first but after a bit you have to cut belt loops off. Not sure exactly.

I've got jeans and a hat. I don't have a button up shirt or any type of allowable boot. Still looking for a good place to buy either.

I do have ammo and guns but I was waiting on leather until I knew of a good place to get some at a good price. My pistols are Ruger New Vaqueros in 357. One is the 4.62" barrel and one is the Montado with the 3.75".

As far as characters from westerns that I have felt some type of connection to

bill-paxton-600.jpgstairs.jpg

young-guns-charlie-sheen-560.jpg

Go to any western store and buy a work shirt. Any leather footwear with out traction soles are acceptable.

I have accumulated enough western style clothes to be anything from a working cowboy to a fancy gambler. I have a full frock coat set in bright red and my shooting hat is a real cowboy hat that has had to be rebuilt once and definitely looks like it has been rode hard and put away wet. I'm most comfortable in a costume that would be appropriate for a down at the heels small time little herd cow owner.

I also have a WIRE persona as J-Bar's Evil Twin. J-Bar has a summer costume of white pajamas, sandals and a sombrero. Impressive on a 6'5" frame.

Kinda like real life, crusty, old, unkempt and cantankerous.

:blink: You? :huh: ............. I'da never believed it...... :P

Since the 7th grade I've loved everything to do with ranching. Have raised a few cattle in Texas and a smaller few in Colorado for a spell, so I figure a plain ol cowboy, nothing fancy for me.

Like was said earlier, watch the movies or old TV shows, find a character you like and plug it in. That's one of the neatest things to me about this game is the variety of "characters" portrayed in costume. ;)

HAVE FUN! :D

Main thing is- have loads of fun. ^_^

ACCOUTREMENTS NOT APPROVED

1. Buscadero gun rigs.

2. Holster tie downs.

3. No belt holster shall be lined with metal, plastic or any non-leather material to make it easier to extract or re-holster revolver. Cloth lining shall be acceptable. No holster shall be lower than the leading, forward edge of the trigger guard in the trigger area and no lower than the midpoint of the trigger guard over the cylinder or at the leading edge of the holster. Holster shall be attached to the belt by a loop over the entire belt.

4. Modern western style boots with stitching on the toe.

p> 5. Modern style vests.

6. Snap button shirts or modern style western shirts. (Modern cotton, long sleeved work shirts with buttons are allowed, color of the era.)

7. Modern jeans that have not been altered.

8. Modern style cowboy hats (unless altered to an authentic style).

9. Camisoles, corsets, and other ladies underwear unless worn under other clothing.

10. Clothing with zippers (unless zippers are covered).

11. Umbrellas on gun carts unless they are made of cloth and are one solid color.

12. Wrist watches.

13. Tennis shoes.

14. Baseball style caps.

15. Short sleeve shirts.

I always like the Gunsmoke episode 'The Widowmaker'.

Soooo, I choose it plus my last name 'Hill'. Kinda like 'Boot Hill'.

Then, as fate would have it, I became a Gunfighter.

If you choose a name that you feel doesn't fit, you can always change it.

Good luck.

..........Widder

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 5, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, January 5, 2016 - No reason given

This file is infected with a virus! Do not access it!

When I watch professional sports I aways rout for the underdog. So it was easy for me to choose to be southern exmilitary. And besides, the South was right!

Cart.JPG

Just don't use anything with Cheyenne or Culpepper. Folks will look at you funny, then look away and fast walk the other way. :P

Buuuuhahahahahahaha!!!

Nickname was Bubba, needed something to go along with it. Being a youngin' in the sport, Buckaroo sounded good with Bubba..hence Buckaroo Bubba..nothing much more than that..

ACCOUTREMENTS NOT APPROVED

1. Buscadero gun rigs.

2. Holster tie downs.

3. No belt holster shall be lined with metal, plastic or any non-leather material to make it easier to extract or re-holster revolver. Cloth lining shall be acceptable. No holster shall be lower than the leading, forward edge of the trigger guard in the trigger area and no lower than the midpoint of the trigger guard over the cylinder or at the leading edge of the holster. Holster shall be attached to the belt by a loop over the entire belt.

4. Modern western style boots with stitching on the toe.

p> 5. Modern style vests.

6. Snap button shirts or modern style western shirts. (Modern cotton, long sleeved work shirts with buttons are allowed, color of the era.)

7. Modern jeans that have not been altered.

8. Modern style cowboy hats (unless altered to an authentic style).

9. Camisoles, corsets, and other ladies underwear unless worn under other clothing.

10. Clothing with zippers (unless zippers are covered).

11. Umbrellas on gun carts unless they are made of cloth and are one solid color.

12. Wrist watches.

13. Tennis shoes.

14. Baseball style caps.

15. Short sleeve shirts.

those aren't SASS rules...

The group I will shoot with I guess is an outlaw club? They aren't Sass affiliated anymore or something. But they go for historical authenticity I guess. Said lace up work boots are OK and button down shirt and jeans at first but after a bit you have to cut belt loops off. Not sure exactly.

NCOWS ?

Got my name from my wife,she said I was like a pit bull when I got a hold of something I would not let go.She said that I alway fought at a drop of a hat.REALLY she had nothing to do with it.I love my little pit bull and I live in texas.So Pit Bull Tex it is.

Archived