SASS Wire Forum

What kind of Cowboy are you?

prophetic_joe

Welcome, I took 2 of my favorite (modern) movie characters Rafe Covington (crossfire trail) and Conagher and combined them, but my hand writing was so bad that they left off the H in my alias! works for me, clothing changes all the time, sometimes I dress like a Buffler hunter in buckskins, others a scout for the Army since I'm a veteran of the war of Northern Oppression, other times just a cowboy! Don't sweat the boots I know folks that wear ropers from shepplers. Just shoot!

Rafe

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

those aren't SASS rules...

Yeah they aren't SASS anymore but they are the closest to me that I could find. I looked into the Hawkeye club in Sioux City, Iowa but they aren't SASS anymore either and I am not going to drive an hour for a anything that isn't SASS. The group that I am looking at is from Quimby, Iowa area.

NCOWS ?

They are called the Northwest Iowa Border Agents.

I went to Utah once . It was nice. My name is Bob. Pretty simple. :D

The group I will shoot with I guess is an outlaw club? They aren't Sass affiliated anymore or something. But they go for historical authenticity I guess. Said lace up work boots are OK and button down shirt and jeans at first but after a bit you have to cut belt loops off. Not sure exactly.

Since it is not SASS no idea of what rules they follow. May even be an NCOWS club, good luck.

Choose something that you like to start with, and the cool thing is that as you go on, you can change it, alternate clothing options etc. Since I have to save up for everything, I'm talking a real long term approach to this. I have duds that will pass for the time, but I haven't fully acquired everything for my first complete outfit yet. I still have ideas for at least two other outfits that I will have eventually (probably talking about years unless I win the lottery which I rarely if ever play. lol)

The same goes for my gun list. My eyes are much larger than my pocketbook. But I put aside a little each month. I'll get all that I want eventually.

i got started with development of a new club , i had no real concept or plan except that the game intrigued me and i wanted to shoot with all those great fun folks , i sorta fell into a buy what i found and remembering old john wayne movies but have always shot my age group just because that is where i started , ive added a little along the way but never really found the groove that some have with the costumes , im still shooting most of the guns i started with and have added backups-even leather , cant have a a gun problem or wardrobe malfunction mess up a long weekend shoot miles from home ,

my alias was contrived by friends using the river in my back yard and the fact that i was the oldest of the group i shot with ,

I've always liked to be different so a Cowboy theme for me wasn't the way I wanted to go when I first started single action..but an American Indian was very appealing so first it was 'Mohawk as 'Ive worn one for years., then I added painted because of all my tattoo's .Because I don't try to dress authentic I call myself a television Commanchero who dressed in anything..in Australia I am the only one to use a '73 Renegade & load from a bandoleer & one of about 6 who have an Indian persona.

In saying the above I have a lot of respect for the old ways of Indian life & the values held.

Regards ..'Painted Mohawk

The persona things is really, whatever you want to play with. The important thing is to play the game. If all you need are holsters and shotgun belt, check out your local club say you need to borrow it. We want you to come out and play with us.

Where are you located? Bet you get offers.

Back to persona, since you are prophetic how about looking like a preacher? I live near the Autry Museum and thought to myself I could look like Roy or Gene with the stretch pants, stirrups and piping down the seam, buscadero belt and an embroidered shirt (Bloody Bill Anderson comes to mind). May still do that but need to drink some whiskey and get my nerves up for that one. Part of it is, it's now how fast you shoot, but how you look when you shoot it.

Based on your chosen alias, I agree with Ventura Slim, you should develop a preacher styled persona. The Russel Crowe "Cort" character from "The Quick and the Dead" might be a good guideline... former gunfighter turned preacher, forced to return to gunfighting. Or, perhaps Clint Eastwood's "Preacher" character from "Pale Rider".

we all started out just enjoying the shooting types or classes, of shooting style will develop over time. alias may also change, my real name is george bourgeois i wanted to be a sidekick but gabby and frog were already taken but gabby is usually used for george so i combined the two, too become gabby the frog so it combines nicknames and is also true to my franco- american heritage but to start with use something with your name in it so its easier to respond to range commands and have a great time.

What is NCOWS?

Click on that link to see if that might be the group to which you are referring...or GOOGLE it.

Here is their home page (if we're allowed to post links to the "competition") ;)

NCOWS

I'm a real life law dawg, and when not on duty (or serving in the Army Reserves) I dress western...because, well...I live out west, in the country, own horses, etc. So my CAS attire is very similar to my "street" attire, only of an older fashion. My hats are the same ones I wear day-to-day, and I trade my Wranglers for some Classic Old West Styles pants with suspenders. The shirts are older style, too. Then I bought a replica old west badge and, voila, now I'm an old timey law dawg.

I've got jeans and a hat. I don't have a button up shirt or any type of allowable boot. Still looking for a good place to buy either.

I do have ammo and guns but I was waiting on leather until I knew of a good place to get some at a good price. My pistols are Ruger New Vaqueros in 357. One is the 4.62" barrel and one is the Montado with the 3.75".

As far as characters from westerns that I have felt some type of connection to

Pard, lookey here: The costuming aspect does NOT have to keep you from playing this game. We're a bunch of [mostly] city folks (except me!) who play dress up and shoot old fashioned guns. We do not take ourselves seriously. Read the last sentence again. This is just a fun game, and after having competed in several shooting sports I can easily say it is my favorite.

YOUR "COSTUME" MUST ONLY BE WESTERN, IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE MOVIE QUALITY COSTUMING, NOR DOES IT HAVE TO BE HISTORICALLY ACCURATE!

Just go to your local farm and ranch store and buy a cheap Wrangler shirt and inexpensive cowboy boots (I believe the shirt must be long sleeves). No one is going to turn you away from a SASS match. It is allowed to shoot in modern western attire, and every SASS shooter was new once. We all know how expensive it is to acquire four guns AND leather, and we don't want costuming to keep people away.

We got my wife's for a character in the original movie Stagecoach...sorta a character

When the whiskey drummer is talking to the bartender he mentions something along the lines, "If you're ever in Kansas City stop by cause my wife Violet sets a great dinner table." His name was Peacock so ta, da!

we have Violet Peacock. She was mentioned in the movie but really didn't exist

cr

After watching Lonesome Dove, I figured out that I was a Ranger in a previous life. Turns out I was an Arizona Ranger!

Pure laziness for me. When starting out I went through my closet looking for anything that looked cowboy. I had a pair of cowboy boots, Levis and shirt all Black from a wedding I attended. A black leather vest from my bike days, so all I needed was a hat. Color was obvious. So a became black on black. Easier to mix and match if I keep everything the same.

Coho

I have family who are cattlemen. If I dressed like one of those guys when they are working cattle, I would wear a ball cap, work boots, an old work shirt, maybe a jacket, and bib overalls or Wranger jeans. They only dress "cowboy" when they go to a dance or to church on Sunday.

Like Rye Miles, the Ranger blood runs deep in me. I previously served in both the Arizona Rangers and the Colorado Mounted Rangers, so my choice of a Ranger persona for my SASS alias was easy. My alias, Sgt. John E. Campbell, was an original member of the Arizona Rangers, from 1901 through 1903. Previously, he had served as a Sergeant in B-Troop, 1st United States Volunteer Cavalry (Rough Riders) under Colonel Roosevelt.

What's more, both of us are from Western Pennsylvania, both of us were Sergeants in the U.S. Army, and both of us were Sergeants in the Arizona Rangers.

Back in the old B&W TV days there was a series called "Tales of Wells Fargo". Main Character was Jim Hardy, Wells Fargo agent. In a couple episodes there was a stagecoach robber that he couldn't catch, who called himself "The O'Meara" My last name is O'Meara so it was an easy choice. and so I'm The O'Meara Himself for SASS. (My first SASS name was "Tipperary" after the county in Ireland where my grandparents came from, but I got tired of being called Temporary, and even Tupperware, so i changed it.)

The O'Meara Himself

Well, I had seen a couple of vids of myself shooting so the name was a natural. My character resulted from some of my unsavory tendencies ,in a past life.

I remain Imis Twohofon

I come from a ranching family, 4th generation. We ranch in an area in Texas called "Goatneck". So my Name was easy.

Goatneck

I'm the retired lawman who is in the background of most B Westerns. You know, the one that just happens to show up when the marshal needs the odds evened up a little.

The alias... as my tag line says Irish frontier computer programmer.

With a name like "Boggus", I could only be a gambler. Therefore, Boggus Deal.

Great idea!!!

Yeah they aren't SASS anymore but they are the closest to me that I could find. I looked into the Hawkeye club in Sioux City, Iowa but they aren't SASS anymore either and I am not going to drive an hour for a anything that isn't SASS. The group that I am looking at is from Quimby, Iowa area.

They are called the Northwest Iowa Border Agents.

You're a big boy, Joe, and you can do whatever you want. If the club is NCOWS and not SASS, you should really be talking to them to make sure you get the equipment you need to be able to shoot. Just your bad luck to live on the wrong side of the state.

You're a big boy, Joe, and you can do whatever you want. If the club is NCOWS and not SASS, you should really be talking to them to make sure you get the equipment you need to be able to shoot. Just your bad luck to live on the wrong side of the state.

Looks liek the group he will be shooting with is in fact NCOWS. See:

http://siouxcityjournal.com/lifestyles/old-west-group-practices-historical-correctness/article_f55ad7db-ba9d-5a64-8cb4-933093b45586.html

He might check out CASCity.com then go to forums then go to NCOWS. That way he will legal guns, holsters, and attire. Asking a bunch of SASS shooters is not the same.

Archived