SASS Wire Forum

What kind of Cowboy are you?

prophetic_joe

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have family who are cattlemen. If I dressed like one of those guys when they are working cattle, I would wear a ball cap, work boots, an old work shirt, maybe a jacket, and bib overalls or Wranger jeans. They only dress "cowboy" when they go to a dance or to church on Sunday.

You would fit in just fine around here with my wife's family and me!

Only difference I see is we consider anything Carhartt to be dressy!

Regards

Gateway Kid

I'm brand new... Just attended my first couple matches this past weekend. Wow, what fun! My name comes from who I am... I'm from Montana, I'm 280lbs... Hence Big... And my name is Mike... There ya have it! Now who ya are, that is another question. If you are say a "banker" in real life and there is not a mean bone in yer body... It may be tough to pass off yer a rough'ian. It takes some thought... I'm a drifter (former military) therfore I found I was a better gambler, gentleman shootist, or lawman... But you can be anything ya want and most of all, have fun!

I'm brand new... Just attended my first couple matches this past weekend. Wow, what fun! My name comes from who I am... I'm from Montana, I'm 280lbs... Hence Big... And my name is Mike... There ya have it! Now who ya are, that is another question. If you are say a "banker" in real life and there is not a mean bone in yer body... It may be tough to pass off yer a rough'ian. It takes some thought... I'm a drifter (former military) therfore I found I was a better gambler, gentleman shootist, or lawman... But you can be anything ya want and most of all, have fun!

Yeah they apparently aren't really even so closely affiliated with NCOWS anymore either. I asked about all of my current firearms and they are ok'd but I am going to wait on clothing and stuff for awhile I think. Til I talk to the people involved at least. Kinda wish it was SASS and not NCOWS but whatever, I just want to have a good time shooting. Thanks for the help guys.

Sounds like the group you're considering isn't any national organization, but simply local. While that can allow you to shoot, if you meet their rules, you will find little other options if you choose to stay with them. One of the advantages of SASS is the wide selection of clubs throughout the world. As long as you recognize their rules are not our rules, you probably can shoot SASS if/when you choose to do a little traveling. We are not as fixed on historical accuracy, although we like to play our versions of cowboy.

As to your question about alias, this is a little on mine http://www.northwestcowboyactionshooting.org/NWCASmembers/checotah.htm

Edit: just realized the page is out of date. Now shoot Sr. GF with NMVs.

One of the attractions of SASS competition for me is that it lets me get away from reality for a while. Thus, I decided to adopt a persona that is polar opposite from my actual personality. So, I adopted a gambler persona. Besides which, I like the look and I think cows are the dumbest critters on the face of the Earth. My handle is a play on my profession, Occupational Safety and Health. Plus, it sounded like a good name for a gambler, cause that's how I play cards.

Well I am one of those old cowboy's that lived off Jackrabbit trail and rode my horses along that trail & used jackrabbit for my CB call as well.

When I joined SASS in 1988 and first shot at Cowtown in 1989 I stuck with Jackrabbit and just added Joe to it.

So there you have it Jackrabbit Joe #414

Yo Deacon Henry I use to belong to the NCOWS but some what different from SASS.

Waugh!

Not a cowboy at all.

Just a "retired" old mountain man turned itinerant trader. That's why my costume is so mixed up. It's generally made up of whatever I can trade for or whatever's on my wagon when the need arises.

Fr'instance, my derby was taken in trade with a box full of other stuff but no one wanted a size 8 "hard hat", so when my hat blew to hell and gone down by Cedar Breaks, I took it for myself.

Some time later I added a beaded band made by a Navajo woman, and added a red tail hawk feather with the base of the shaft wrapped in red trade cloth a few months later. Got it from a Shoshone-Bannock fella who traded a bunch of stuff for some geegaw for his woman.

Found a quilled shaft cover for the feather from a Mormon kid up in Cache Valley and added a red trade cloth circle and some of my own hair to the end to finish it off.

Took a machine-made pigskin coat with a lot of fringe from a gambler from Council Bluffs and added some bead-work from Oklahoma that I traded a sodbuster out of.

I put a bunch of red crow beads on the fringe on my own and found some antler buttons in a box of stuff I got from a widow in Brigham City for a four yards of blue gingham cloth and some fixin's for her kids. Took a beatin' on that trade but I felt sorry for her and her git. She sent me on my way with half a peck sack full of bear sign.

I traded some gunpowder, iron cookware, and trade cloth for some beaver pelts and one glorious wolf pelt to a wolfer in Wyoming and found a really decent coyote pelt that I'm making into a detachable collar for the coat. Swapped the wolf pelt to a stage coach driver for a side if ham and a dozen hen's eggs..... and fourteen dollars.

When you see me you're lookin' at a lot of American folk history wrapped around a stack of bone, scars, and gristle..... but you ain't seein' no cowboy.

I'm too smart to spend my life lookin' at a cows butt from between the eats of a horse

Okie dokie!

Now I can quit staring at your neck trying to figure this out. :o;)

Hahaha....I think they call that a turkey neck😋

Howdy Joe, I am a member of NCOWS also but so far have only been involved with SASS. If you haven't done so go to their web page http://ncows.org for some guidance. Just the opposite here no NCOWS activity in my locale as far as I know. Fine folks in both organizations.

I would say mine is self explanatory. Just a play on spelling. I am also a native Texan, hence the Lonestar. I am a bit of a bi... umm... Rebel?? A unique individual... A tad on the wild side... And completely on the "dark side"

cap and ball for me. More smoke, more flame, Big Bang!

Let's just fall back to the old saying "I would rather be someone's shot of whiskey then everyone's cup of tea". And believe me I am not everyones cup of tea.

My outfits range from soiled dove to madam to bad a** pissed off, wronged female that resembles Sharon Stones character in the "quick and the dead". To a rancher and cowgirl. I prefer dark colors (girlie colors don't do well with black powder) skulls, Ravens and so on... My SASS number may be a few years old but I just started shooting a bit over a year ago so my persona is still developing as is my skill. I am not fast by any means but dang it I have a good time!

And I am all about the fun!

I would say mine is self explanatory. Just a play on spelling. I am also a native Texan, hence the Lonestar. I am a bit of a bi... umm... Rebel?? A unique individual... A tad on the wild side... And completely on the "dark side"

Let's just fall back to the old saying "I would rather be someone's shot of whiskey then everyone's cup of tea". And believe me I am not everyones cup of tea.

My outfits range from soiled dove to madam to bad a** pissed off, wronged female that resembles Sharon Stones character in the "quick and the dead". To a rancher and cowgirl. I prefer dark colors (girlie colors don't do well with black powder) skulls, Ravens and so on... My SASS number may be a few years old but I just started shooting a bit over a year ago so my persona is still developing as is my skill. I am not fast by any means but dang it I have a good time!

B)

Welcome to the fun!

Regards,

Allie Mo

Total James Gang-My oldest son's real name first and last name is Kirk James, my youngest son is Cody James (real first and middle name), my grandson is Brody James and daughter real name is Jessica Michelle (wife put her foot down and together they came up with SASS Kicker). Cannot win them all.

I'm a washed up buffalo hunter that took up gold prospecting in the San Juan mountains around Creede, Colorado in the 1880's.

Obviously, with a name like Backshooter... I'm not a good guy. Don't wear no stinkin badges either. I

made up the name. just sounded right.

So I have been thinking about this. I have my guns, I have my hat, sooner or later I will have my leather and some starter attire but how do I know what kind of cowboy I am? How do I find my persona? My name? How did you know which Cowboy character was right for you? I know that some like to be all about the shooting but this is sort of about playing Cowboys too right so beyond the shooting which is the reason I am mainly interested, how do I get into the playing cowboy aspect?

Example: there's a Cholla cactus growing on my property, west of my house. My house is on a Hill. Accuracy is at the top of my list when shooting, so I like to think of myself as a marksman or sharpshooter, Spanish translation Tirador.

Got my name from my wife,she said I was like a pit bull when I got a hold of something I would not let go.She said that I alway fought at a drop of a hat.REALLY she had nothing to do with it.I love my little pit bull and I live in texas.So Pit Bull Tex it is.

Prob'ly good you don't own a tea cup poodle.

That's okay. Some of us don't cotton to fast women. I like 'em slow and methodical... and they gotta be decent cooks, too. :P:D

Howdy Pard

I am Sawyer because I owned a sawmill. I have dressed in about every kind of costume you can imagine. If the profession existed in the old west then the costume can be matched to the profession. I agree with Randy St. Eagle about Hamilton Dry Goods being a good place for prices and variety. Go to a big match and shop the VENDORS(very important people who support our sport by providing what we need---and often at great prices!). The thrift stores in your area are often good places to pick up shirts and vests at really good prices. The main thing in our sport is SAFETY, The next thing is FUN,FUN,FUN! Come on out, borrow some leather and have loads of fun while being a SAFE shooter! I have never been to a match where there weren't any people willing to loan you something to help you out! Just come on out and you will soon know why SASS is such a great bunch of folks!

I come from a ranching family, 4th generation. We ranch in an area in Texas called "Goatneck". So my Name was easy.

Goatneck

I used to live just south of Fort Worth in Cleburne and there is a bend in the Brazos River a little south of there we called Goatneck. When I was down there I was in the Cleburne Jaycees and we started a bike race called the Goatneck 100.

Kajun

I have a whole story about my character, about 12 chapters.

Started to write it down about 5 years ago then shelved it because it was taking too long and I started to lose interest in the writing process.

My character ends up on the Big Island in 1885 and saves a Hawaiian princess from several assassins.

At the end of the book he ends up back in Wyoming and of course he can't stop talking about how beautiful Hawaii is.

The last line of the book is the foreman yelling at him

Hey Waimea - Quit your jawing an' get something done for a change.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Waimea

:FlagAm:

One who grew out of it at age 8. Although I wish I still had my toy cowboy guns.

So I have been thinking about this. I have my guns, I have my hat, sooner or later I will have my leather and some starter attire but how do I know what kind of cowboy I am? How do I find my persona? My name? How did you know which Cowboy character was right for you? I know that some like to be all about the shooting but this is sort of about playing Cowboys too right so beyond the shooting which is the reason I am mainly interested, how do I get into the playing cowboy aspect?

Dream and meditate, sounds silly but that is the only way

Never meditated.? No wonder why you asked

Just an idea that goes back to Native American times and spirituality

Good luck sir

Too damn old to remember!!!!

I'm Irish, and the best job I ever had was tending bar. That was my inspiration for Barkeep Casey. How would you see yourself living in the old west or on film?

Ok I believe the Irish part....but his real aliase is Keep The Liqueur Flowing Casey. He single handedly takes out any potential threats and innocent bystanders by liberally plying the liquor at Saloon night.

Archived