SASS Wire Forum

What Car Would You Choose?

DocWard

Hardpan's Ferrari thread and a couple of the comments got me to thinking. If I were able to buy or build one expensive car, such as the one the gentleman in the thread built, what would it be? This assumes I have a daily driver, and this would be my one and only "toy" used for fun road (and maybe track) jaunts, and otherwise kept garaged and taken care of.

So, what would you choose? American muscle? Foreign exotic? Something else entirely? Perhaps you're a motorcycle person, or have always wanted an ultra-capable four wheel drive. Feel free to discuss the alternatives you thought of, but in the end, see if you can choose just ONE!

For me, it was a struggle. Since I was a kid I've wanted a 65 or 66 Shelby GT350, preferably an "R" model. A tuned High Performance 289 putting out over 300 hp, 4 speed, no rear seat, a real racer. No brainer, right? Well, not so much. I kept coming back to the one car that I loved driving more than any other I have experienced. Not the fastest, but definitely the best handling- my old 1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL SE. A sentimental favorite, if not a terrifically expensive one. Then there was the 1965 Ford Fairlane Sport Coupe, another sentimental favorite, courtesy of my uncle and my brother. A High Performance 289 and 4 speed, in a somewhat more civilized package than the Shelby, but not so civilized as the Mazda.

So, which to choose? The sound and fury of a 289 c.i. V8, or the almost turbine-like sound of a 1.3 liter rotary? In the end, I opted against the Fairlane. It lacked the handling of either the Shelby or the Mazda. On the one hand I would love the sound of the Shelby on the track, but the brutal feel of it might get a little old on a longer road trip. The RX-7 though, is a dream on a road trip, so long as the weather cooperates (ask me about that one sometime :o ). With generally good manners, but enough ability to get ahead of me if I let it, and racing cred of its own, I think the RX-7 is the choice for me. Besides, with all that saved money, I can look at things like extra tires for racing and maybe autocross, suspension tuning with coilover shocks, maybe even a turbo...

Scan%20132600009.jpg

So, what'll yours be?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1968 Camaro RS/SS with a .327

Oh, so close! You meant to say 69! Big block too. All aluminum 427. Black with white stripes, black and white houndstooth interior. Cant remember the code on it. Remember, we're rich in this scenario!

Oh, so close! You meant to say 69! Big block too. All aluminum 427. Black with white stripes, black and white houndstooth interior. Cant remember the code on it. Remember, we're rich in this scenario!

Actually I was spot on :P

I would replicate the one my dad had and had to sell just before I was born; it had a .327 and a Corvette tranny, something close to this:

1968ashgoldSS396.jpg

Definitely awesome cars, and one that I also considered, except I would opt for the 289 (there's that engine again!) FIA car.

001.png

MY dream car... well, I tend to think smaller:

A mid-60's vintage TR-4 (NOT the 4A!) with the aluminum Buick (later British Leyland/Rover) 215 CID V-8 engine, either the original 4-spd transmission and electric overdrive or a more modern 5-spd. :blush:

With an 11-1 compression ratio, that thing would produce 190 HP at a tame 4800 RPM while weighing in at 40 lbs less than the stock, 101 HP cast-iron 4 cylinder. ^_^

5092fa30bc895.jpg

MY dream car... well, I tend to think smaller:

A mid-60's vintage TR-4 (NOT the 4A!) with the aluminum Buick (later British Leyland/Rover) 215 CID V-8 engine, either the original 4-spd transmission and electric overdrive or a more modern 5-spd. :blush:

With an 11-1 compression ratio, that thing would produce 190 HP at a tame 4800 RPM while weighing in at 40 lbs less than the stock, 101 HP cast-iron 4 cylinder. ^_^

Glad I'm not the only one who thought "smaller." That sounds like a hoot to drive!

Doc I like your choice

In 1988, Ron Butler of Butler Racing and I built a Kit Cobra

I chose his kit because it was better built/engineered.

from the outside it looked like a 66 Street Cobra

Built on a rigid ladder frame, mustang Front suspension and Jag Rear End (the inboard brakes were a problem - overheating)

Started life with a Built 351 Windsor approx. 425 horses and a Doug Nash 5 speed

engine was mounted 10 inches back from original - better weight distribution

I wanted the looks of the Cobra, but with a few modern touches

Sadly I lost it in a fire a few years back - and needed the $$ more than the car

If I were to do it again

I think that I'd build a Healey 3000 kit

with Japanese running gear - 250 horses or so and a 5 speed manual

I did the horsepower thing - last motor in the Cobra was a Keith Black running a bit over 500 horses

pretty much dangerous to drive on the street.

Coffee

1968 Camaro RS/SS with a .327

1963 Split Window Corvette...

I am not really a GM fan. No, I don't get into the whole "Ford vs. Chevy" argument, just a preference. Of the Camaros out there, the 68 RS/SS with the 327 is my favorite. A guy across the street had a green one with an automatic that sounded awesome, and was fun to ride in. When it comes to the Corvette, the 63 split window is the epitome of Vettedom to me.

If you are buying, Doc, I will take a Lamborghini.

And since I'm not buying?

Doc I like your choice

In 1988, Ron Butler of Butler Racing and I built a Kit Cobra

I chose his kit because it was better built/engineered.

from the outside it looked like a 66 Street Cobra

Built on a rigid ladder frame, mustang Front suspension and Jag Rear End (the inboard brakes were a problem - overheating)

Started life with a Built 351 Windsor approx. 425 horses and a Doug Nash 5 speed

engine was mounted 10 inches back from original - better weight distribution

I wanted the looks of the Cobra, but with a few modern touches

Sadly I lost it in a fire a few years back - and needed the $$ more than the car

If I were to do it again

I think that I'd build a Healey 3000 kit

with Japanese running gear - 250 horses or so and a 5 speed manual

I did the horsepower thing - last motor in the Cobra was a Keith Black running a bit over 500 horses

pretty much dangerous to drive on the street.

Coffee

The Cobra sounds near terrifying. The Healey 3000 sounds like it would be a blast. The picture of the Red RX-7 in my OP was mine, taken while I was in law school.

I'd build a replica of the Hendrick Motorsports Corvette IMSA GTP car with an 800 cid Merlin BBC replica and twin turbochargers. I'd want what is now the Richmond, (used to be Doug Nash 5speed) six speed overdrive transmission and a magnesium Dana center section with C7 Corvette suspension, half shafts an brakes. That would be one of the most bullet proof, (read that"durable") drivetrains and perhaps one of the slckest body/platforms ever built outside of those ridiculous F1 and LeMans prototypes we're seeing these days.

A couple hundred dollar drop in the bucket for a rich guy!! Don't you think?? <_<:lol:

While I love the early GT350's, Cobra's, 65-67 Corvette's (my high school car was a 65 Corvette convertible), Jag E-type's and Camaro's (had a 68), my dream/lust car is one of these in the Gulf livery: (this is a Superformance continuation series, not the modern mid 2000's Ford redo)

HB-GT40-P2214-blue-bside_zpsya8vqqpj.jpg

First of all my daily driver would be my Ford Super Duty F350 6.7 diesel 4x4, which I have now.

I would have a hard time choosing.......

Shelby Cobra 427 (like OLG) or a 62 Vette 327 FI. If I had one of these, I would take off the FI and put on a 4 bbl for driving. Off course keep the FI.

I have two of my dream cars, a 1943 Willys MB and a 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback. I'm building the Willys back all original but the Mustang I'd like to do a resto-mod on. I'd like to keep the 289 and add the HO heads and intake I bought, a mild stroker kit, better cam, dual exaust, and a 4 speed transmittion. I'd eventually like to seriously upgrade the suspension. I don't care about big engines, but I like performance. Small blocks are fast to wind up too.

If I was to get another, I have 4 I'd like to get.

1) '67 GTO

2) Shelby Cobra roadster

3) either a M715 or the Jeep version to build as an all-terrain vehicle

4) M3 Half-track

I live down the street from Eddie Hill who has a GT 40 that he drives a lot, while I like the looks, I don't care for them that much.

1. Lotus Eleven Le Mans sports racer.

2. long nose D Jaguar sports racer. (a 200 mph car in the mid-50s).

3. A Troutman-Barnes Scarab sports racer like the original three built for Lance Reventlow.

All three were international gran prix cars and consistent winners during their heydays.

4. a tip of my hat to Colonel Dan and the '63 split window 'Vette, the only Corvette I ever wanted.

Jeep CJ-7. Chevy 350, five speed tranny. Three inch lift, custom eight inch ford differentials on both ends.

31-10.50X15 tires on 15X8 aluminum modular rims.

Custom roll cage, double tube bumpers. LED fog and driving lights up front, fogs in rear, all controlled by a custom switch panel.

Hey! This thread said CAR! Not Jeep! Thats another thread!

And a blind monkey knows that the 69 was the best looking Camaro ever made. EVVVVEEEERRRRR! :P:P:P

Forty Rod, you gots class! As I recall, there are lots of interesting and classic cars & motorcycles that show up on Whiskey Row on Saturdays.

For that matter, all the others mentioned in this thread have lots of appeal too. If I was really wealthy (am I'm not), anything Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg will do nicely.

Back to the real world. I nice flat fender Willys Jeep from 40's or early '50s would be awesome. So would a Model T Ford.

I've had two 69 Camaro, one was totaled and the 2nd I just screwed up and let go of it. Id like to have another. For now my 51 Chevy Sedan Delivery with 327 Is occupying my time. Had a chance back in 1981 to acquire a white 63 split window vette for $6500. I had just gotten a $6000 bonus. Alas I had the other half put a stop to that. I mention it to her now and then and show her what their selling for.

Had no argument when I went to pick up the 51. Ha

OOOOooohhhh You're gonna make me choose one?????

For just toolin & droolin' - Porche 918 Spyder

For flat out running - 427 S/C Cobra, just like the one in OLG's link

For cruising the back roads - 1960's XKE that's been ground up re-done (Sans Lucas)

For an evening out with friends - 2015 Maybach

It is fun to dream, isn't it?

My choice would be simple I think. I had a 68 Vette when I started dating my wife. Was trying to go to college & that car was not feasible. Something about that hopped up 427, I just couldn't seem to keep gas in that car. 30 years later & retirement is looming up ahead. Always wanted to replace that Vette with another before I retired...

Jeep CJ-7. Chevy 350, five speed tranny. Three inch lift, custom eight inch ford differentials on both ends.

31-10.50X15 tires on 15X8 aluminum modular rims.

Custom roll cage, double tube bumpers. LED fog and driving lights up front, fogs in rear, all controlled by a custom switch panel.

Do you mean 9" or 8.8" by chance?

Hey! This thread said CAR! Not Jeep! Thats another thread!

And a blind monkey knows that the 69 was the best looking Camaro ever made. EVVVVEEEERRRRR! :P:P:P

Nope. I specifically said "So, what would you choose? American muscle? Foreign exotic? Something else entirely? Perhaps you're a motorcycle person, or have always wanted an ultra-capable four wheel drive." Pretty sure a Jeep qualifies as a four wheel drive. I did, however, specify just one!

And yes a blind monkey knows, but the ones with sight disagree... :D

It is fun to dream, isn't it?

That is how I often kick my blues. (referencing another thread)

Archived