SASS Wire Forum

What Car Would You Choose?

DocWard

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been a big GM fan, but I always liked the looks of the 62 Vette and the way it drove with that 4bbl 327 and 4 speed. A friend had one. Also liked the 69 Camaro's.

I've had too many cars over the years, but my favorite was a 65 289 AC Cobra. That thing was scary fast and handled very well. I had that for ONE week and some jerk broke into my garage and hotwired it. He totaled it about an hour after he stole it. Darn fool didn't even kill himself when he wrecked it. Next favorite was my 70 Boss 302 Mustang. Other than those 2 I'd say 2 of my 63 Plymouth's that I used to drag race with. One was the 426 max wedge with the typewriter torqueflight and the other I had dropped a worked over 440 in with a hemi 4 speed and both had Dana 60 rear ends.

Oh yeah, another one that was my 1st car when I was in High School. A 56 Ford Victoria.

My 1972 VW Bug. That car was just fun to drive.

OH yeah...!

I've had several bugs ~ including a '68 that blew up... I rebuilt the engine in my 3rd floor bedroom in my frat house. ^_^

By far, though, my favorite was my first '73 Super Beetle. Dumbest thing I ever did was to sell that thing. :(

If anyone ever comes across a Texas Gelb '73 Sooper with plates 264 HKH.... please contact me forthwith~!! :lol:

215925_11679180_1973_Volkswagen_Super%2B

Howdy,

Ive been lucky enuf to have owned some of the cars you mention.

The car I sold too soon: 64 Impala ss convertible. It needed a bigger engine and a 4 speed.

Car I really liked and sold too cheap 69 Z.

Car that drove me crazy MG. I had three of em and they just kept falling apart. Fun to drive.

If I won 50 million in the lottery: Aston Martin DB5.

Ive never even sat in one but I would buy one and find out what the fuss was all about.

Coolest car I ever drove: MG TD, brg with wire wheels. People with the right of way gave this car

the right of way just to watch it drive by.

Now, just one thing to anybody who thinks a race car is fun on the street.

Its not. Its hard to drive a real fast car as slow as the speed limit.

Drive a 911 at 25 mph. Its terrible.

And cars with performance profile get pulled over for no reason.

And cars with performance profile get the car show effect.

This is kids of any age stop and ask all sorts of weird questions

when you want to run errands or even not be noticed because you

are going someplace you don't want to admit tooooo.

Its fun to have a head turner but its a pain when you don't want attention.

Buy a VW GTI and take off the GTI and put on Diesel insignia. ;)

Saved me at least two tickets....

The car cops ignored the most, a tan minivan. They are invisible to cops.

Drive 10 over, change lanes without signal drive like an idiot and no cop

seems to care. I guess they are afraid of being handed a loaded diaper.

Best

CR

Something in a '32 Duesenberg.

du1932lagrangedcphaeton7601.jpg

Or a '38 Mercedes-Benz G4

4568538712_f4039f8eb7.jpg

Beautiful and amazing cars, but would you really ever drive one for fun on the road?

When we were on vacation in Maine last year I stumbled on a car show. I kept passing old cars on the highway and finally decided I'd just follow them. They all turned into the parking lot of a train museum near Kennebunkport and I followed them. We saw an amazing number of old cars that were all driven....including this Dusenberg.

13122B3F-1791-4212-BA20-5C6E88D29FBD.jpg

Jeep CJ-7. Chevy 350, five speed tranny. Three inch lift, custom eight inch ford differentials on both ends.

31-10.50X15 tires on 15X8 aluminum modular rims.

Custom roll cage, double tube bumpers. LED fog and driving lights up front, fogs in rear, all controlled by a custom switch panel.

Do you mean 9" or 8.8" by chance?

I did mean 9". A lot of custom car makers have used them on 4X4s.

Hardpan, I've forgotten. What was different about the Super Beetle from the regular Bug?

Super beetle had bigger boobs.

:)

Haw!! :lol:

Super Beetle had two notable differences:

First was the front suspension: Off-the-shelf Porsche 914 McPherson struts. (Yeah, I know, the "Square VW that wore the Porsche name"). This not only improved handling tremendously (would out-maneuver a TR-6), but almost doubled luggage space.

Second, starting in '73 they had an actual dashboard and curved windshield... unlike the standard bug, the glass wasn't mere inches from your nose. :)

Beautiful and amazing cars, but would you really ever drive one for fun on the road?

What's the point of having it if you aren't going to drive it?

Be great on Hwy 1 from Bodega Bay up to Fort Ross and beyond.

I did mean 9". A lot of custom car makers have used them on 4X4s.

I assumed that was what you meant, but thought I should ask. Yes, Currie Enterprises is probably the best known maker of 9" Ford axles (and Dana 44, 60 and 70) for 4x4 applications out there.

When we were on vacation in Maine last year I stumbled on a car show. I kept passing old cars on the highway and finally decided I'd just follow them. They all turned into the parking lot of a train museum near Kennebunkport and I followed them. We saw an amazing number of old cars that were all driven....including this Dusenberg.

What's the point of having it if you aren't going to drive it?

Be great on Hwy 1 from Bodega Bay up to Fort Ross and beyond.

There you have it! I always think of them as museum pieces, and I agree, I wouldn't want a vehicle I wasn't going to drive.

There you have it! I always think of them as museum pieces, and I agree, I wouldn't want a vehicle I wasn't going to drive.

Part of the joy of having something like that would be driving it.

Another part would be the looks of envy from others. :D

1968 Camaro RS/SS with a .327

I could go for that

Oh, so close! You meant to say 69! Big block too. All aluminum 427. Black with white stripes, black and white houndstooth interior. Cant remember the code on it. Remember, we're rich in this scenario!

or that, if given a choice I'd go with the 69.

1963 Split Window Corvette...

1963-Split-Window-Corvette-Beauty-Rear-W

Or maybe one of the old T-Birds

Something in a '32 Duesenberg.

du1932lagrangedcphaeton7601.jpg

Or a '38 Mercedes-Benz G4

4568538712_f4039f8eb7.jpg

Yup, that was on my list too, built a model of one as a kid and have liked them since.

Great subject!

My top 4 choices in no particular order.

1955 Porsche 550 Spyder (high quality replica would suffice as it would be a driver)

1971 BMW 2002 Tii (came this close " " to ordering one coming back from Viet Nam). Family doctor had one when I was in high school, he picked me up walking to town a few times. He me drive his 1600 Tii. Such a blast.

1969 442 Olds with the 40,0 4 speed. Had one and it was a blast to drive. Although these days I would go with the automatic due to pinched nerves. Still like manual transmission, but the pain just takes away a lot of the enjoyment.

Austin Healey 3000. Like the style. Got to drive a few sports cars while in England 74-79. Maintained our secretary's 1971 XKE, had fun with it. She trusted me with it, but wouldn't let her husband drive it and he was an F4 pilot.

With an honorable mention to the Triumph Stag. Fun to drive, just caught my attention.

To choose just one - the 69 442.

Forty Rod, you gots class! As I recall, there are lots of interesting and classic cars & motorcycles that show up on Whiskey Row on Saturdays.

For that matter, all the others mentioned in this thread have lots of appeal too. If I was really wealthy (am I'm not), anything Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg will do nicely.

Back to the real world. I nice flat fender Willys Jeep from 40's or early '50s would be awesome. So would a Model T Ford.

I don't know how much you want one, but there's two jeeps for sale just down the street from me that need some lovin'.

You know. I wouldn't mind building a steam car like what Jay Leno has. I just think that would be all kinds of fun to drive.

I don't know how much you want one, but there's two jeeps for sale just down the street from me that need some lovin'.

You know. I wouldn't mind building a steam car like what Jay Leno has. I just think that would be all kinds of fun to drive.

Thanks Dorado, can't take that on just now. Nice to dream about something that might in reach someday tho!

Which of the Jay Leno steam cars? He has several that are fascinating.

I have always been crazy mad in love with Delahaye motor cars. There are some builders today making "new" Delahayes with modern suspensions, brakes, engines, transmissions, etc. Since we're supposed to be rich for this topic, I'll take any of these below or any of the new ones coming out.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/dela-3.jpg

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/911396,11950/1949-Delahaye-135M_photo.aspx

http://momentcar.com/images/delahaye-4.jpg

http://fm.cnbc.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/img/editorial/2014/03/10/101479894-1937_Delahaye_135_Competition_Court_Torpedo_Roadster.530x298.jpg?v=1394462607

I have always been crazy mad in love with Delahaye motor cars. There are some builders today making "new" Delahayes with modern suspensions, brakes, engines, transmissions, etc. Since we're supposed to be rich for this topic, I'll take any of these below or any of the new ones coming out.

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/dela-3.jpg

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/911396,11950/1949-Delahaye-135M_photo.aspx

http://momentcar.com/images/delahaye-4.jpg

http://fm.cnbc.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/img/editorial/2014/03/10/101479894-1937_Delahaye_135_Competition_Court_Torpedo_Roadster.530x298.jpg?v=1394462607

Fascinating looking vehicles!

Archived