SASS Wire Forum

Couldn't Resist!

My daughter has no interest in guns so I have been trying to sell off a bunch of guns and trying MIGHTILY to resist buying any more. I was out at the local Cabellas and they had purchased in the past week a huge and varied collection of guns (over 500) from an estate. I guess they figure it is too much work to see if they are functional so they are putting most of them out "as is". Lots of Civil War carbines. I saw Spencers, Burnsides, Palmers, Star and all kinds of really scarce stuff at really good prices. They have lots of trapdoors and many prototypes of different methods of converting Civil War muzzle loaders into cartridge guns. Lots of WWII stuff. But I resisted. They had several shopping carts in the gun library piled with guns that they were still dragging out and attaching price tags.

And then I saw it! A LONG BIG diameter barrel sticking out of the pile. I drug it out of the pile and it was an 8 gauge shotgun. 40" of barrel and tipping the scales at 13+ pounds. The bore was very very good. The action worked. The stock has a few minor cracks but is all there and solid. It's now sitting in the corner of my gun room. (Won't fit in the safe.) Now to find a few shells and fire that puppy up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm thinking night shoots will never be the same.

:D:D

... night shoots will never be the same.

DUH!!!

Sounds like a great Dove gun! :)

Back in my youth when I worked for a gunsmith in Virginia, I had the opportunity to buy so many great Civil War guns and many market guns. (My favorite was a 4ga punt gun that was almost new)

Alas, I spent my money on shotgun shells and 22 ammo and a lot of sugar that I turned into a more profitable product.

Congrats on your find. I know the feeling that came upon you Larson. Seems we went to an estate auction a couple weeks back for some tools & the like. Well it just turned out that there were about 60 or so long guns and a few pistols there as well. I come upon this NIB 1894 Winchester lever with a large loop and a 16" barrel that had a factory engraved receiver. I though it would look nice next to my 30-30 trapper but wasn't really of a mind to get it right then so just passed on to the tools. Curiosity started working on me as it sometimes does so I looked it up on my phone whilst bidding on tools. The Winchester collectors site popped up just as they brought it up for bid. Turns out that they only made around 7,000 of this rifle and they bids were hanging up at $400 so I nodded when the man ask for $25 more. Well now I am the proud owner of that NIB Winchester Model 94 Wrangler .32 Win. Special with that engraved 18K Gold inlay in the receiver with 100 rounds of Hornady® LEVERevolution.

Kinda funny that when we're not looking with intent what happens to our thinking.

Charlie.

Congrats on a great find Larsen. Need some video of that monster going off.

Fingers (Show Me MO Smoke) McGee

Congratulations, a real find.

Pretty sure that it qualifies as an artillery piece. You're going to need at least a 5 man gun crew. Have big fun!

Larsen, I have some Winchester 8 gauge kiln gun ammo somewhere, but it won't chamber in a sporting gun.(I had one of the kiln guns I was using as a line gun) I think you can still buy 8 gauge ammo from Alan Myers in England. gooseguns@talk21.com

For new brass contact Rocky Mountain Cartridge in WY. They will make it to fit your gun. Circle fly has wads.

Sounds like a great Dove gun! :)

Unfortunately, most states make smooth bore guns larger than 10 gauge illegal for hunting.

Good luck, GJ

Pretty sure that it qualifies as an artillery piece. You're going to need at least a 5 man gun crew. Have big fun!

I volunteer for rammer/swabber!

What's the powder charge on that, about 8 oz? ;)

Will try to get up a couple of photos. However, Apple in a download updating Yosemite a couple of weeks ago removed IPhoto and replaced it with a new photo program!!!. The new program is a pain to use and it is partially incompatible with Photobucket. If I can locate the photos in the new software I cannot drag them into Photobucket. I hate it when they improve things and make them more difficult. Called Apple, they tried moving photos from the new program to Photobucket and said they were having the same problems. Hopefully they will get it fixed.

Howdy Larsen. Does Photobucket allow you to upload photos without drag and drop? Seems you ought to be able to open Photobucket and find a tab/link that says "upload photos". From there you can locate the image in its Mac folder, select it and click upload. At least that's a way I can do it with Google's Picasa.

Good luck!

Howdy Larsen. Does Photobucket allow you to upload photos without drag and drop? Seems you ought to be able to open Photobucket and find a tab/link that says "upload photos". From there you can locate the image in its Mac folder, select it and click upload. At least that's a way I can do it with Google's Picasa.

Good luck!

You are speaking a language I don't understand. Click on photo in IPhoto, drag to "download here" box in Photobucket is about as complicated as I can get. :o

Here (hopefully) are a couple of photos. Top photo SKB with 23" barrels and 8 gauge with 40" barrel. Bottom photo. 8 gauge shell and a 12 gauge. The front "trigger" moves the hammer to half-cock (so the firing pin can retract) and opens the breech. The rear trigger fires it. The gun was made in 1887.

P1010685_zpsfpt94hfs.jpg

P1010688_zpsforotwr5.jpg

Now to find a few shells and fire that puppy up!

Larsen, Important ! Measure the chamber

and then go to the bank and transfer some Big bucks in to your check book!

http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/index_htm_files/RMC%20Shot%20Shells%20&%20Kits%20Prices.pdf

Who was the maker of the gun?

I've heard stories of a large single shot shotgun used in a brick factory in town to knock off the slab from the kiln walks. I recall the gauge being 8 gauge and being swivel mounted. The factory is long gone and I have no idea where the shotgun went.

Who was the maker of the gun?

I've heard stories of a large single shot shotgun used in a brick factory in town to knock off the slab from the kiln walks. I recall the gauge being 8 gauge and being swivel mounted. The factory is long gone and I have no idea where the shotgun went.

They are known as kiln guns. The rounds are loaded to very high pressures and will blow up old BP 8 gauge guns. To prevent these rounds from chambering in a sporting gun the shells have a belt around the bottom, sort of like a belted magnum rifle round.

http://winchesterindustrial.com/equipment.html

About a dozen years ago, I had a request to turn out two brass 8ga "case heads" for a friend of a friend. His plan was to solder them into (or over, I don't remember) a length of tubing to make brass shells. I never heard any feedback, so I don't know if it worked or not.

Way cool Larsen.

Bring it over tomorrow and we'll whack them barrels to 20", put on a big front site, chop the stock to a negative 5 degrees, put on a recoil pad, slick her up inside and hog out dem chambers! A little polish here and there, sand down the rough spots and add a little cold blue and you'll be the cock of the walk! :D

​Awesome ! Please post a photo when you get to shoot it ! Must take a lot of Black Powder to shoot !

Congratulations ! Thanks for the pic and post ! MDM

Archived