SASS Wire Forum

What Short Stroke in Rifle

Dewey Cheatem, SASS #75620

NONE-Shoot a Marlin CB limited 24" oct bbl, in .44.

LG

+1...most of the time...

otherwise, PGW in a '66 Short RIfle in .38spl.

no idea re: "generation"...it was installed in 2003 or '04.

Also have a PGW 1873 won in 2006 with complete action job & short stroke.

.357/.38 used as backup/loaner.

Not sure how critical which kit you choose. We have 4th gen, and Pioneer super short stroke . Oh, and a standard kit from Pioneer that's cut, and welded to the super short standard at 4 1/8 like the others. Magazine tubes sleeved on all. Slicks tuned main spring on all. Believe the timing must be right, and frame beveled. They ammo you feed it must be top notch for fast and reliable feeding. Oh, one rifle has lightened brass carrier, and the other 3 have a cowboys aluminum carriers. They all run between a high 2 and a low 3 in my hands. Check with some folks that are really quick. I would think anywhere between a 24 and 28 split would be fine for match speed. Some are shooting a lot quicker, especially for speed side matches.

4th generation. Cowboys and Indian.

It is funny that you are not interested to hear why one is better than the other.

Because it just starts arguments and the question goes off the rails. This is more of a poll than who's is better and why.

DC

Started with 1st. generation C&I in a '66 Yellowboy..

Went to PG regular short stroke in the '66 Yellowboy.. I was told it's like 3rd. generation C&I

Changed last year to a '73 with P&G Super Short Stroke..

Rance

Thinkin' I've had my best times with the P&G regular SS..(like C&I 3rd. gen)

Still gett'in' use to the P&G SSS..

I have three 73s the best is what kit that long hunter put in I have no idea. It worked so well I gave him one of my existing guns to match it. I know you didn't want gunsmiths but I have no idea what kit is in it. One has a pioneer in it if I remember correctly. My latest is a 38 I got used and have no idea which kit is in it. I found someone who knew what to do and had them do it.

Cody.

And C&I 3rd gen. Similar...

Just remember that a Short Stroke kit is great but you need to start with action work.

A Short Stroke set of links reduces the movement (stroke of the lever) but increases the work through that shorter distance. If you don't have a smooth rifle to start with you may fine you don't like the shorter stroke.

YMMV.

A kit is more than replacement links it also has a lifter that's been modified to work with the links iirc. GJ I was surprised at your response. I figure you would have added something insightful. Your usually very knowledgeable and share that knowledge. I guess everyone can have a bad day.

Dewey my friend, did you not notice what I was shooting at AR state !!! :)

Here's a short video to remind you , LOL !!

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv242/slickmcclade/3F962A08-D3E9-42D3-A10C-745A0B504929-968-000001547CDC0C09_zps402839a9.mp4

Yes Slick I was just poking fun at you because BWestern guys can't shoot 73's. ;-)

DC

Archived