SASS Wire Forum

'73 magazine sleeve for .38- your experience?

Two Spurs

See if this link to the September Chronicle, page 48 works.

http://sassnet.com/Downloads/14eChron/14septchron.pdf

(Nope, you'll have to scroll down to page 48.)

That's funny. I actually read that right before I went to bed late last night. ^_^

Thanks again for all the responses. Well.............most all of them. :lol:

This thread (that I swear I've never seen before) is like a car you see for the first time, love it, then buy it,.....only to start seeing them on the road all the time! :D:lol:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have em in all my 73's, that I compete with.

Good Morning Dee!

Two Spurs (headed in the right direction.... :) )

That's funny. I actually read that right before I went to bed late last night. ^_^

Thanks again for all the responses. Well.............most all of them. :lol:

This thread (that I swear I've never seen before) is like a car you see for the first time, love it, then buy it,.....only to start seeing them on the road all the time! :D:lol:

LOL - thats because you finally caught up with em!!! Your goin faster and smoother!!! :D

I have 2 custom built '73's

First one built didn't have it.. Did have a little hick-up in it that took yer mind off the stage when shooting it... :(

Second one built I had him install one :) and send another kit for the first one..

It fixed that little hick-up in the first one...

125 TC lead rounds being used in both...

Also noticed that they load a lot easier through the gate... not a big deal but it did help..

Rance ;)

Thinkin' I like the change :)

FYI, typing magazine sleeve into the search box brings up two discussions about this in the past year:

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=218963

http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=214058

Two Spurs,come to baytown and we will put one in for you to try and you can pick up some AA hulls while your here.I will PM my phone number

Try running 38 snap caps and you'll see right away why tube liners are good stuff. Won't have a 73 in 38 without one. Working my way to the top of the lists. Dang Smokestack is right though. 44-40 or 38-40 fixes most everything

Dear Two Spurs,

I'm so sorry this thread wasn't brought to my attention earlier and the rude comments were visible so long. I guess there is not much point in hiding them now.

I appreciate those of you who reprimanded the person for his offensive posts. I hope he got the point and we (Moderators) will not see this behavior again.

In the future, please use the Report feature, that keeps a log of the bad behavior and puts a red alert on the Moderator forum.

Sincerely,

Allie Mo

So, I see Slick's carbon fiber tube unit and Boogie's stainless aluminum tube.

Does anyone have experience with both and can provide us with an evaluation as to which one might be superior?

I have this gut feeling that the carbon fiber tube might be more susceptible to splitting, decomposing, internal chipping or flaking due to the spring constantly compressing and decompressing. I imagine that the carbon fiber tube is probably 4 ounces less weight than the stainless aluminum tube, but that's a guess.

If a source other than Boogie in Germany for Boogie's stainless aluminum tubes was mentioned, I didn't see it. Is there a US stocking distributer for the stainless aluminum tube? I see that Slick's carbon fiber tube is available from him here in the US.

Any thoughts or advice on any of this......superiority, weight, carbon tube deteriorating or breaking?

Thanks

EDIT:

Also, thanks to Larson P for pointing out my error in noting the metallurgy in Boogie's tubes. I recall reading "aluminum" but wrote "stainless" instead. Thanks, Larson. -CB-

So, I see Slick's carbon fiber tube unit and Boogie's stainless tube.

Does anyone have experience with both and can provide us with an evaluation as to which one might be superior?

I have this gut feeling that the carbon fiber tube might be more susceptible to splitting, decomposing, internal chipping or flaking due to the spring constantly compressing and decompressing. I imagine that the carbon fiber tube is probably 4 ounces less weight than the stainless tube, but that's a guess.

If a source other than Boogie in Germany for Boogie's stainless tubes was mentioned, I didn't see it. Is there a US stocking distributer for the stainless tube. I see that Slick's carbon fiber tube is available from him here in the US.

Any thoughts or advice on any of this......superiority, weight, carbon tube deteriorating or breaking?

Thanks

The Boogie tube is not stainless. It is aluminum. The spring and follower are stainless.

TS,

no experience with this one in particular, but, I wish these were out about two years ago. Bought a '73 in 32-30, always had trouble getting the last two cartridges in and would get a hiccup every now and then. Figured out Uberti's one tube fits all deal. Noticed that my orig.73' tube was smaller (32-20), ordered a 32-20 mag. tube, spring and follower from Brownells. Shimmed the tube to get it centered then Acra-Glassed it in. Installed it and ,,, wow, stuff (follower, spring) just came right on through. OK,,, hole in frame is also .45 sized. Go back, machine an adapter for the hole ,, install everything, fine tune it and all is well in 32-20 land. It took me about a week to figure all this stuff out and get it working, piddling around. Naps here and there etc. And now there's a kit for it. At least guys won't have to go through what I did.

Oh well,

Isom Dart

The carbine fiber based tubes are very durable and only get smoother with use. these tubes are used by many national & world champions with over 200 sold just in the past 3-4 months. No negative issues that I'm aware of have been reported as of yet. These kits are much lighter than others available on the market. The complete kit weighs considerably less than one loaded 38 round, therefore not adding any unwanted weight. But the best part "Lifetime Guarantee" !!

The carbine fiber based tubes are very durable and only get smoother with use. these tubes are used by many national & world champions with over 200 sold just in the past 3-4 months. No negative issues that I'm aware of have been reported as of yet. These kits are much lighter than others available on the market. The complete kit weighs considerably less than one loaded 38 round, therefore not adding any unwanted weight. But the best part "Lifetime Guarantee" !!

I Love the heck out of my thanks Slick..

KK

Jimmy Spurs donated a slew of em to the last Georgia State Match and I had the fortunate luck to win one.

Can't beat that and as a result of his generosity I'll be a repeat customer.

I used mine at EOT this year and did ok for a rookie...

Jimmy Spurs donated a slew of em to the last Georgia State Match and I had the fortunate luck to win one.

Can't beat that and as a result of his generosity I'll be a repeat customer.

I used mine at EOT this year and did ok for a rookie...

Hard to do much better. See you in Tennessee.

Randy

I have a 24" barreled Uberti 73 in .357 mag. It has been a great rifle.

I couldn't find a magtube "sleeve" in 24" length.

I won one of the 20" lengths that Jimmy Spurs donated to the Georgia State Match back in May. (Thanks Jimmy!!)

Yesterday I scrubbed out my rusty 24" magtube, and epoxied the 20" sleeve inside the 24" magtube.

I kept the receiver end of the tubes flush on the end.

Now......the spring that came with the sleeve kit is for a 20" long magtube, not the 24".

But.........3 empty .45 Colt cases fit just fine to take up the extra space in the magtube before screwing in the endcap at the muzzle end.

I just got in from trying it out. :D

WOW......10 rounds as fast as I can work the lever and the trigger......and it's VERY SMOOTH!!!!

I'd do it again!!!!

• 1 month later...

Apparently, no one can say which is best at this point in time. Probably because no one's tried them side-by-side over time or performed significant (or any?) comparative fire-testing. I've (since my last reply) spoken to three others who have them (all the Shotgun Boogie aluminum kits) and they have noticed significant improvement in the loading and cycling of their 73's. I also have since ordered Boogie's kit.

I'd say there's currently not enough even emperical data to say with reasonable certainty if either the aluminum or the carbon fiber unit is mechanically or functionally superior. As I said, I doubt if any real side-by-side testing has been done(?). I haven't handled Slick McClade's carbon fiber tubes, but I ordered one from and I spoke via email with Shotgun Boogie, who is an engineer. His aluminum tubes are Oxygene coated to prevent electrolysis corrosion (a concern of mine) and are also ultra light. His machined, stainless followers are beautifully done. Everything's easy to custom trim and install. Should last a lifetime. Very noticeable functional improvement with the sleeve installed.

I bought one from Slick and installed it about a month ago. I have to say that my rifle is smoother when shooting....kind of gives me a little more confidence while shooting and it has improved my rifle time a little bit. It may be that the confidence I have causes me to push myself a little more on the rifle.....for me it was a good experience.

does anyone have experience with both types? i have a carbon fiber in one 73 and i went to remove it to clean and it does not want to come out of mag tube. will have to try a different method of removal. does the alum come out of tube easy?

I suggest you contact Slick McClade, if he's who you bought it from and get advice. Removing the insert for maintenance is one reason I asked a lot of questions. 73 mag tubes are notorious for corrosion and if you were able to easily unscrew the mag plug, corrosion may not be the issue. But, being carbon fiber, the insert may not be reactive, but could have caused moisture to be trapped and not easily dissipate. Another thought is that you didn't trim the tube short enough and when you reinstalled the mag tube end plug, you crush-fit the insert, making it difficult or impossible to remove without destroying it. Those are just guesses. Were I you, I'd contact the supplier.

I have an aluminum in one rifle. I got it as an experiment both for cycling and rust prevention. Mine was from The Smith Shop.

My main concern was the dissimilar metals can sometimes react. So for that, the carbon fiber may be better - if it can be readily removed.

Since I was concerned with the metals and to avoid rust, I put on a pretty good layer of a good synthetic grease. After a month or so, I took it apart to see how things were working. How much dirt got in between the mag and the tube, etc. The tube came out nicely was still clean on the outside and appeared to be avoiding any rust build up. So I put it back in.

As to cycling the rifle, it may make a little difference but it was hard to tell.

The one warning is to make certain the mag plug is the proper length. My rifle is a Renegade (Uberti) and the plug the maker supplied extended too far into the action. So on the last round, it hindered the elevator from raising. This would quickly wear the elevator as well as not cycling as I wanted on the last round.

So I took some careful measurements and contacted the maker. They then made a plug and switched it out with me. Not it is GREAT!

I'm a big fan of the reduced diameter magazine tube. Fast or slow, you'll notice a difference if your experiencing the allusive random glitch.

Like Lunger said, I now run a 105 crimped in the grove. Prior to the insert, I wouldn't run the little 105 in my rifle. Now it's 105's in all my guns and great rifle performance👍

Regards,

Ringer

My exerience using the tube liners is very positive. Two of three 73s of mine have a hick-ups loading the first two rounds in the mag (9the and 10th loaded). Many times it causes me to jack out a live round, not desirable. Installed an aluminum liner on the worst gun in June and never had the problem again. Got that one from my son. Made a post on this forum after that wanting a source and a cowboy sold me one he won at half price as he shoots 45s. Installed the second aluminum one in the second troublesome rifle in Oct and boy was it smooth for all the rounds last weekend. Now I am a bit up in the air for the third 73, it has never had a loading issue. Trying to decide whether I should fix something that is not broke, get an aluminum mag liner or get a resin mag liner. Right now it is wait and see. Of course the liners all come with new stainless springs and follower. I was a bit nervous, as the first gun we put the aluminum tube in the mag was originally a basket case. When I purchased it at about half pirce, it was extremely flawed and would not function. A prior owner had cut off the barrel, and welded up the toggle links trying to duplicate a popular short stroke kit and bent the lever (on purpose). Over the years I had to have a new lever installed, all new short stroke kit, and many more interanl parts replaced, etc. It has always had trouble loading the first two rounds (even after all the fixes). The liner makes that now my best 73.

Archived