SASS Wire Forum

'73 magazine sleeve for .38- your experience?

Two Spurs

I have an aluminum in one rifle. I got it as an experiment both for cycling and rust prevention. Mine was from The Smith Shop.

My main concern was the dissimilar metals can sometimes react. So for that, the carbon fiber may be better - if it can be readily removed.

Since I was concerned with the metals and to avoid rust, I put on a pretty good layer of a good synthetic grease. After a month or so, I took it apart to see how things were working. How much dirt got in between the mag and the tube, etc. The tube came out nicely was still clean on the outside and appeared to be avoiding any rust build up. So I put it back

The one warning is to make certain the mag plug is the proper length. My rifle is a Renegade (Uberti) and the plug the maker supplied extended too far into the action. So on the last round, it hindered the elevator from raising. This would quickly wear the elevator as well as not cycling as I wanted on the last round.

So I took some careful measurements and contacted the maker. They then made a plug and switched it out with me. Not it is GREAT!

In my reply, above, I noted that I had the same concerns regarding dissimilar metals causing electrolysis corrosion. Shotgun Boogie (Uwe Bart'sch), out of Darmstadt, Germany, had similar concerns when he developed his insert tube kits. His tubes are hard coated with "Oxygene", which admittedly, I"m unfamiliar with, but which Boogie says will not corrode. His tubes must be trimmed to the correct magazine tube length, minus the length of the mag plug when it's reinstalled. His supplied mag tube spring should also be cut to fit your rifle. Then, everything drops in, mag plug reinstalled and it funtions flawlessly. He gets $75 each + $10 (USD) to ship, regardless of how many (they are virtually weightless). His email is: Info@shotgunboogie.de His Ruger Vaquero kits are well-known. His web site is about half German, half English, but he responds quickly to email, keeping in mind that Germany is 9 hours ahead of USA Pacific Time.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a resin liner from Slick in the hope that it would make a 66 in 32-20 load easier. It did.

Got to share a vendor spot with Slick this weekend at the SW Regional.

Sold quite a few of them. One was having problems with a rifle and has had for awhile. They know

a fair amount about them but could not figure it out. Had smith look at it and could not figure it out.

So we put one in on side match day.

They could not believe it. They could not make it mess up. Sure made a believer out of them.

Heeee Haaaa.. I have one from Jimmy Spurs..Works like a champ with smokeless powder.. :D about 90% of Michigans top shooters have them in there Rifles.. ;) BUT I did experiance some sticking problems when I shot Black Powder.. <_< I believe it may be from the lube that I make for the Bullets.. :unsure:

Heeee Haaaa.. Well worth the investment.. :rolleyes:

Heeee Haaaaa Crazy Mingo :wacko::wacko::FlagAm:

I got my kit from Jimmy Spurs at Cowboy Gunworks! Haven't had a single hitch in the rifle since then.

http://www.cowboygunworks.com/rifleupgrades.html

Not a single issue, after over a year I took the gun apart to clean the mag tube and the sleeve came right out without any trouble at all. I've heard some different stories even within this thread about the fiber knock offs. The 6061 Aircraft Grade aluminum will not 'wear in' but will come working its best out of the box. The aluminum will also not swell or break down as solvents will eat away at the bonding agents in the fiber tubes.

The fiber base tubes will not break down with solvents. They are heat and chemical resistant and should not ever give any issues. If it ever does I hear that all the products from this company carry a "Life Time" warranty from product defects. :)

I got my kit from Jimmy Spurs at Cowboy Gunworks! Haven't had a single hitch in the rifle since then.

http://www.cowboygunworks.com/rifleupgrades.html

Not a single issue, after over a year I took the gun apart to clean the mag tube and the sleeve came right out without any trouble at all. I've heard some different stories even within this thread about the fiber knock offs. The 6061 Aircraft Grade aluminum will not 'wear in' but will come working its best out of the box. The aluminum will also not swell or break down as solvents will eat away at the bonding agents in the fiber tubes.

How much experience have you had with real carbon fiber? :blink:

C/F will 'out-wear', un-anodized alum with ease. Even 7075 T6 alum.('tuffer' and 6061)is no match to C/F.

Also-6061 alum doesn't wear well till it's in T-6 condition.

OLG

Can anyone tell me if the alum '73 tube is anodized or bare, un-coated metal?

OLG

I've got two rifles with Boggie's aluminum tube installed. It is supposed to have some type of coating. Not sure what it is?? I can say it doesn't oxidize. If you rub on it, it doesn't leave that black/silver (oxidation?) on your hands or a cloth.

I've been very pleased. By the way his smaller follower is a work of art. Machined beautiful👍

Regards,

Ringer

I got one from Slick almost two years ago .it was simple to install just drop in. I shoot regular powder and triple7 black powder ,125 gr. 105, 100,even 90gr. No problems slick as Slick and feeds any size bullets Cartridges no glitches. Try one cheaper than a 9 rounds jammed at a favorite match

I have our first 73 on the way from TOVO and I was looking at this same issue so thanks for all the posts. I am very familiar with aluminun and carbon fiber as well. I have spent the last several years trying to make guitars out of this stuff after getting bored with making aeroplane parts. Carbon fiber WILL cause galvanic corrosion but will never wear out. Depending on the amount of resin on the outside of the tube this may not even be an issue at all. Aluminum will corrode as well but I believe these tubes have been anodized so there shouldn't be a problem with them either.That is why you don't notice the black smut when you rub it. If your magazine tube already has rust in it then I would consider coating/preserving it before adding either tube. If it does corrode I'll guarantee you won't be able to get the tube back out without destroying one or the other.If its in good shape just use a non conductive grease/oil and you should be good to go. Thanks for the tips y'all as I didn't even know they made a carbon fiber tube and was ponderin' the idea of making one when I got mine.

Archived