SASS Wire Forum

'73 magazine sleeve for .38- your experience?

Two Spurs

Has anyone had experience good/bad with the magazine tube insert that shrinks the mag tube diameter to better fit .38's?

Thanks.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 7, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 7, 2014 - No reason given

Watching this thread closely. So far, the consensus I've seen is that it's a solution looking for a problem.

Im sure there is a deceased Equidae here some place.

Man came here looking for information that he does not have. No reason for you to post what you did. If you have no interest in the topic, stay out of it.

I feel it is worth it.

Does it help a BUNCH. No. Did it take a little hiccup out of my rifle now and then. IT SURE DID.

With all we spend on getting those rifles race ready. The cost is just not that much for a part that will not wear out.

My wife has a 73 in .38. I just ran across an ad for this device. Like the original Poster has anybody used one of there or should I save money for bullets?

Looks like I was posting when the previous 2 came in.

S.Floyd

Watching this thread closely. So far, the consensus I've seen is that it's a solution looking for a problem.

Consensus from who??

Talk to those that put it in. Not those that have never even tried it, and then say it does not work.

Which is most of those saying that.

If it saves me from one hiccup in a rifle run a match. Then for me. It's worth it.

And you are not going to buy many bullets for the price of this part. Which you are not

going to wear out. And will last as long as that rifle does.

It is not like it is a real expensive part.

I have one from Slick Mcclade and I believe it's worth it, like Al said it has removed a hiccup or two so it is worth it in my book.

KK

I have a couple thousand .38 bullets that are truncated cone but with a good sized radius on the end. In my 73 the rounds would get all cockeyed in the tube and jam up the rifle. Took me two matches to figure out the problem (I'm a slow learner). Made myself an aluminum tube liner and new follower. Added a smaller spring and have never had that problem again.

So I would say yes, the tube liner is worth it, especially with the kind of bullets I am needing to use up.

I've never tried one but I do know that Very Early Uberti's in 38 spl imported by Navy Arms

had thick walled aluminum magazine tubes that the cartridge did not wallow around in

& they fed exceptionally smoothly !!

http://www.slickmagicguns.com/SlickMercantile.html

The information on the bullet alignment kit explains it all.

I suggest a dry lube be applied when installing.

An occasional light coat of wax may be applied to you liking.

Keep it clean of sand.

From past threads that "consensus" seems to come from shooters whose names I've never seen at the top of the result sheets. The ones who say this helps are the ones who seem to dominate the state and regional matches I attend.

I got one from Slick McClade and it did feed better in my opinion. I believe it's worth the investment.

DC

My experience also.

AR

From past threads that "consensus" seems to come from shooters whose names I've never seen at the top of the result sheets. The ones who say this helps are the ones who seem to dominate the state and regional matches I attend.

:P Funny how that works. :o

I guarantee tha top 5 at range war all had one installed!

Yes they make tha gun run smoother

RRR[/quot

Ray what would you know you run a junky Baikal:-)Oh ya you just won Range War.

Sorry couldn't resist.

DC

Posted · Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, September 7, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, September 7, 2014 - No reason given

Man came here looking for information that he does not have. No reason for you to post what you did. If you have no interest in the topic, stay out of it.

So you would suggest I have to butt out because you say so?

Think again,

Two Spurs,if you want to try one let me know.The first one I did was a rossi 92 tube and spring and follower.I keep it In my back up.My main match gun has a brass tube drilled to the 92 ID and I use a 92 SS spring and SS follower.If you want to try it just give me a shout.

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, September 7, 2014 - No reason given

Think again,

Actually I was suggesting you act decent, but I guess I need to rethink that as well.

Think again,

Sorry to hear that your negative, snarky comments were so important to YOU that you were compelled to share it with us. Lots of helpful comments for the OP. Unfortunately yours was not one of them.

Had one in my rifle for awhile now. The rifle wouldn't reliably feed 105s crimped in the groove. Seated the ammo long to get it feeding right before the sleeve. Now the rifle feeds short ammo as good as the long stuff. I like the slugs a little deeper in the case, because the brass stays cleaner, and the carrier stays cleaner through the day. A guy would still want to play with the depth for feeding. Just saying the rifle isn't as finicky asit was. Glad I bought it.

See if this link to the September Chronicle, page 48 works.

http://sassnet.com/Downloads/14eChron/14septchron.pdf

(Nope, you'll have to scroll down to page 48.)

Has anyone had experience good/bad with the magazine tube insert that shrinks the mag tube diameter to better fit .38's?

Thanks.

Sure solved a 73 feeding issue for my 73. Have got them now for all three of my 73s.

Thanks.

It solved a problem I had. I bought a used '73 that apparently had never had the mag spring and follower out. The tube was so rusty I couldn't clean it even with a brush chucked up in a drill. I used Barricade to kill the rust and added the sleeve, it works great.

Randy

It does seem to get rid of annoying hiccups; that only occasional glitch that breaks your rhythm, makes you throw a miss, or kicks one out...

Boogie installed mine; I'm delighted with it.

Cheers,

FJT

See if this link to the September Chronicle, page 48 works.

http://sassnet.com/Downloads/14eChron/14septchron.pdf

(Nope, you'll have to scroll down to page 48.)

Thanks Larsen! Since the Chronicle went electronic I find I seldom look at it. :blush:

Archived