SASS Wire Forum

Whats The Call ?

Widder, SASS #59054

Basic stage instructions state firearms can be fired in ANY order but rifle not last.

ALSO, Shotgun KD's engaged in any order AND MAKE UPS AT ANY TIME.

Shooter starts with SG and fires off 4 quickies at the KD's. Quickly slams the SG down on the table and draws AND cocks first pistol. Somebody yells: 'UP'. Shooter runs his first 5 downrange (EDIT: on the targets) and then with 2nd Pistol, runs the other 5 rounds on the targets.

picks up rifle and run 10 rounds on targets. THEN, picks SG back up and REengages the last SG KD.

'P' or No Call ?

..........Widder

I assume that first pistol 5 shots downrange meant not on targets. The call is 5 misses and a P for fireing a different gun before finishing the previous string. Could throw in a SPG for the 5 shots downrange but 5 misses and a P are quite enough.

Basic stage instructions state firearms can be fired in ANY order but rifle not last.

Shooter starts with SG and fires off 4 quickies at the KD's. Quickly slams the SG down on the table and draws AND cocks first pistol. Somebody yells: 'UP'. Shooter runs his first 5 downrange and then with 2nd Pistol, runs the other 5 rounds on the targets.

picks up rifle and run 10 rounds on targets. THEN, picks SG back up and REengages the last SG KD.

'P' or No Call ?

..........Widder

my question is shotgun made up anytime during shotgun string or anytime during the shooting of the stage the clarification of the statement will make a world of difference.

KK

BS Walker,

sorri for being alittle unclear. The 1st five rounds were to the correct targets. They were not fired just 'downrange'.

I EDITED my OT.

Hope that clarifies that.

..........Widder

Shooter starts with SG and fires off 4 quickies at the KD's. Quickly slams the SG down on the table and draws AND cocks first pistol. Somebody yells: 'UP'. Shooter runs his first 5 downrange and then with 2nd Pistol, runs the other 5 rounds on the targets.

'P' or No Call ?

..........Widder

As several have said before me I would read any order as exactly that, if you want to shoot split shotgun, do it, make up at any time means exactly that, any time. No call.

my question is shotgun made up anytime during shotgun string or anytime during the shooting of the stage the clarification of the statement will make a world of difference.

KK

now that is a good question.

and here is where the situation could become cloudy.

The written stage instructions concerning the SG targets were: MAKE UPS AT ANY TIME.

did it mean 'during the SG run' or did it really mean 'ANYTIME'.

Because firearm order was non-specific, I took it to literally mean 'ANYTIME'.

Personally, I wouldn't think shooting split SG would be any different than deciding to split the pistols on this kind of stage. If it trully is a shooters choice (except for rifle), then how can it be interpreted any other way?

..........Widder

how else can you define ANY TIME?

no call

cpbc

how else can you define ANY TIME?

no call

cpbc

+1 seems clear

No Call.

Heck, nothing in the instructions says the shooter can't shoot 2 SG, 5 pistol, 5 rifle, 5 pistol, 5 more rifle, and then pick up the other 2 SG targets.

Used to see silliness like this "back in the day".

Fillmore

+19 - no call, next shooter

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

No call. Shooter did it exactly as the stage directions called for.

I wonder what shooter would have done if he had not failed to knock down a SG target. Would have have split the pistols? Because the rifle was not allowed to be the last gun fired.

PO says:"Basic stage instructions state firearms can be fired in ANY order but rifle not last."

nothing is forbidding to unsplit the pistols...so SG, pistol 1, rifle, pistol 2 (so GF in Double duelist) sounds fine for me.

Gotta agree - no call!

Next shooter.

Was the Stage titled "Create Your Own Train Wreck?" :P:D

No Call.

It doesn't matter what he woulda done had he not missed on the SG. What matters is what was on the written stage instructions. I am told that in law, this is what is known as a "four corners" question. If it is NOT within the four corners of the paper, it doesn't exist, eg, in a contract.....

I'd personally give the guy a hand for making the most of the situation and thinking on the fly! No call is the correct answer.

now that is a good question.

and here is where the situation could become cloudy.

The written stage instructions concerning the SG targets were: MAKE UPS AT ANY TIME.

did it mean 'during the SG run' or did it really mean 'ANYTIME'.

Because firearm order was non-specific, I took it to literally mean 'ANYTIME'.

Personally, I wouldn't think shooting split SG would be any different than deciding to split the pistols on this kind of stage. If it trully is a shooters choice (except for rifle), then how can it be interpreted any other way?

..........Widder

o

Agree...no call....neeeeeeext shooter.

Oh I just gotta know,,,,,Who was the somebody that yelled "up" ?? Friend of foe? :lol::lol:

Where was they when the stage instructions were doled out? Sleepin or what?

Seems to me shooter AND TO had it together. Both knowing anytime for makeup meant to shooter to not be alarmed by late up call and he/she could continue in their flow making up at their convience. TO did not press NOR stop shooter at end of stage when they went for shotgun again understanding anytime for this shooter was at end.

I am assuming TO was in position not to see target so he/she could call "up" to shooter when it happened.

Now whether it was worth time to take the makeup is another question.....if only a step or two, possiblt three, to get back to shotgun, then yes if shooter was capable of a under three second make up.......of course shooter could have been thinking clean match, that syndrone will get you sometimes.

Fortunately for the shooter that he missed a shotgun target and could make it up AFTER HE SHOT HIS RIFLE LAST.

Else he would have earned a P for hitting all the targets! :)

An interesting follow up question would be....

Could he avoid the P by shooting an extra shotgun shot after he shot his rifle?

To avoid this in the future.... Club stage conventions should be.....

Shotgun targets can only be made up during the shotgun string.

Archived