SASS Wire Forum

Its 2024 is your club stuck in the 90’s?

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Never mind, it's not worth the effort to try to discuss anything with you.

Right???

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Did I order something PHYSICAL?

Pretty sure we were discussing differing forms of written communication. 

Touting pen and paper applications, filling out a physical check (one easily lost, mutilated, altered or forged), or paying a fee for a money order, stuffing it into an envelope (which has yet another cost), paying still another fee (stamp) for transport and then waiting days for the package to arrive at its destination.

Or use electronic email and payment methods - instant, verifiable and secure.

Yes, we should definitely be insulting and dismissive of folks desiring to use the method of communication that is superior in every measurable metric.

Electronic payment is not free. My research shows that the fees for online payment are 4 to 5 times the cost of mailing a check or money order.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

While it IS easier to fill out an application and pay online, I can't see printed apps being a "deal-breaker" for most folks who literally grew up writing checks, licking envelopes and attaching a stamp.  A large percentage of our shooters are just computer savvy enough to look stuff up online and print out a form.  

Designing a website and setting up online apps and payments require skills that not all clubs possess.  What are those clubs supposed to do?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

While it IS easier to fill out an application and pay online, I can't see printed apps being a "deal-breaker" for most folks who literally grew up writing checks, licking envelopes and attaching a stamp.  A large percentage of our shooters are just computer savvy enough to look stuff up online and print out a form.  

Designing a website and setting up online apps and payments require skills that not all clubs possess.  What are those clubs supposed to do?

Setting up a website is not a big problem, there’s usually someone in the club that could do it or you pay someone to host it. The problem I see is paying the clubs online. CC, Venmo, PayPal etc. all extra charges and work for the clubs unless I’m wrong which I could be.:o

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Setting up a website is not a big problem, there’s usually someone in the club that could it or you pay someone to host it. The problem I see is paying the clubs online. CC, Venmo, PayPal etc. all extra charges and work for the clubs unless I’m wrong which I could be.:o

I also would wonder how secure the club's website's payment method is. It is a PITA to straighten out a stolen card or card numbers.

As I stated in my original post, I don't care if a club adds the online option (didn't say it but it's a good idea), just don't scrap the old check/mail option.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Setting up a website is not a big problem, there’s usually someone in the club that could it or you pay someone to host it. The problem I see is paying the clubs online. CC, Venmo, PayPal etc. all extra charges and work for the clubs unless I’m wrong which I could be.:o

You’re not wrong.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I also would wonder how secure the club's website's payment method is. It is a PITA to straighten out a stolen card or card numbers.

As I stated in my original post, I don't care if a club adds the online option (didn't say it but it's a good idea), just don't scrap the old check/mail option.

As long as they’re using a processor and not saving credit card info it’s pretty secure.

Myself I don’t like sending checks in the mail. If the wrong person gets that, there’s your checking account info which could be used to clean you out. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Maybe but for now most all clubs do it this way, so I suggest the people that don’t like this method just suck it up for now and in the meantime try and help to modernize the clubs. This won’t happen overnight my friend .

As it turns out, we don't need to suck it up, while we try to drag folks who share your apparent obsession with inefficiency into the computer technology era. (An era started by people who were young in the 1960s).

I don't own any checks.  I use online banking.  If your club wants a check from me, you still get it in the mail....but from my bank.

When a club wants me to print and mail an application, I fill it out on a computer, and attach it to an email.   The email basically says that the application is attached and watch your mailbox for the check coming from my bank in a week or so.  

Most of the clubs who are asking for paper applications in the mail have somebody entering all that information into a computer.  Mine can be copied and pasted.....faster and more accurate than transcribing.

By the way, for context, I'll turn 55 in May. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Fretless said:

As it turns out, we don't need to suck it up, while we try to drag folks who share your apparent obsession with inefficiency into the computer technology era. (An era started by people who were young in the 1960s).

I don't own any checks.  I use online banking.  If your club wants a check from me, you still get it in the mail....but from my bank.

When a club wants me to print and mail an application, I fill it out on a computer, and attach it to an email.   The email basically says that the application is attached and watch your mailbox for the check coming from my bank in a week or so.  

Most of the clubs who are asking for paper applications in the mail have somebody entering all that information into a computer.  Mine can be copied and pasted.....faster and more accurate than transcribing.

By the way, for context, I'll turn 55 in May. 

I don't have an obsession with inefficiency into the computer era. I pay all my bills online as well. I do have a checking account for personal or some other things I pay by check. My concern is the clubs collecting the money online. Like I said it's more work and it will not happen overnight! I take offense to you painting me as some stone age person against computers. You obviously didn't read what I've said. I'm not against modernizing clubs at all.  

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 2

Facebook, YouTube, Sass wire, credit cards, websites, Pony Express. All tools in the tool box. Your credit card number can be stolen anywhere. Keep a backup card for when it happens. I don't use check cards. I learn about clubs I would like to visit by watching videos online via Facebook and YouTube to get a feel for the match/range. I suggest clubs have cards with all the club info you can put on one to give to visitors and anyone you talk about the club to who sounds interested. 

• Like 1

I swing both ways. I send checks for shoots and register online when available. I pay my bills online. Either way, don't make me no nevermind.

Edited by Sixgun Seamus
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I don't have an obsession with inefficiency into the computer era. I pay all my bills online as well. I do have a checking account for personal or some other things I pay by check. My concern is the clubs collecting the money online. Like I said it's more work and it will not happen overnight! I take offense to you painting me as some stone age person against computers. You obviously didn't read what I've said. I'm not against modernizing clubs at all.  

My apologies.  I clearly read too much into your comments on this thread.  Glad to hear you're with us on this.

• Thanks 1

John,

I think you like to stir the pot.  Your suggestions, as always, are good and progressive for those clubs that can manage the upgrades.

I shoot at one club which runs about 10 - 12 older shooters monthly.  There is no way under the Sun that they will ever move into the 2000s.  As Barb said, they also have no Cell Service at their range.  But it is still a fun place to shoot with very friendly pards.

I personally have created and maintain three Club Websites at no expense to the club.  I used to say that I do these for free, but I actually lose money as I pay the Hosting Fee and a monthly fee to block pop-up advertisements.  I hope I have included all of the elements that John listed.  Plus, I added music to the different pages.

Years ago, I taught a Communications Technology Class and used to note that the Pony Express only lasted 12-18 months.  It started as a roaring success, then the Telegraph came along.  That pretty much ended the Pony Express.  I used to say, the TV Series lasted longer than the actual Pony Express.

Even though I taught Technology Education, I still write checks and mail the APPs.  I maintain a separate Play Account just to pay for my hobby.  I am just old school.  My wife, on the other hand, does all of our Family Banking online.

I say do whatever you feel the most comfortable with, just as long as you continue to participate and join us at the matches.

Continue to have fun...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If a club has the means to offer online registration and payment there is no reason they shouldn't be doing that.  That doesn't mean that you still can't fill out an app by hand and mail a check also. Technology exist to make things more convenient I don't love having to write a check and mail an app but that's my only option most of the time. If they offered online registration and payment i would chose to use that. As far as facebook and other social media if clubs have some people that are willing to run the pages there is no reason to not have one. you also don't have to participate in that if you choose not too. 

• Like 2

Some folks hate Facebook, some folks find it a useful tool.   If you're going to get bogged down in polytickin' it's worthless.   But, it's just like a television, you can change the channel.   When I log in to Facebook I go straight to the Cowboy Action Shooting sites, (and in my case, coin collecting sites).   Nothing else.

The Single Action Shooting Society has a FB page.  And there are several good discussion groups about CAS and WBAS on FB.   

You don't have to like FB, but there is a huge audience out there.   These FB groups have introduced CAS to people who had no idea it existed.   As a result, we've gotten quite a few interested, and a good number have displayed their new SASS Member Certificates.   You don't have to like it or look at it, but a whole lot of people do, in all age groups.   

A lot of SASS Clubs have a FB presence and a website.  Some, just FB.   Some of those FB pages are frustrating because they don't tell you where the club is!

Please include your address, some directions, when you open, what time is the signup and safety briefing.  List a contact number.   Post your scores, photos, and some videos.  Keep it up to date!

AS for match registrations, almost every multiday match I go to, is now using a registration form that you can fill out on your computer.   It makes for a much more legible application!   The SC State Match, "The Bushwack" is the first one I've come across that you can also pay online with a credit card.   That was an outstanding step forward!  Nice job Slippery Stew!   Yes, I still keep a checkbook, although I rarely use it.  Mostly for match registrations or buying something off the Classifieds.    I use electronic forms of payment for all my bills.  

So, yes the old forms of payment are still being used, alongside the new forms of payment.   Nothings going away, but more convenient, faster forms of payment are the future.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

This is the whole point of this thread.  It is not a deal breaker for people who grew up like this, but it very well may be a deal breaker for the younger generations we need to bring into this game to keep it going.  Either we adapt to new modern ways or this game dries up and dies.  We have to meet people where they are, not where you or I may be.

• Like 5

There is usually a fee associated with using payment apps like there is a fee for using a credit card. It generally is 3%, which the seller or club pays. The sender doesn't pay it unless the club or seller adds it to the cost. You find the same thing if you buy on Gunbroker. Local gunshops here also charge 3% for using a credit card, as the CC companies charge them. I have not seen a payment app provide the seller/club with any numbers to store any more than Walmart saves them.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

I swing both ways. I send checks for shoots and register online when available. I pay my bills online. Either way, don't make me no nevermind.

Wait a minute!! You swing both ways? Does Kay know about this???:P

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Electronic payment is not free. My research shows that the fees for online payment are 4 to 5 times the cost of mailing a check or money order.

I own a card processing company. 

IMO, I believe your research results are being misapplied.

There are direct costs to ALL transactions.  And THEN there are either SELLER supported OR PURCHASER subsidized costs (sometimes both) to ALL transactions.

The direct cost is for the ACTUAL item or service being exchanged, i.e.

You pay xx dollars for a pound of powder.

This is payment for product.

The retailer sells you a pound of powder for xx dollars.

This is product for payment.

Simple enough?

The RETAILER supported cost is ALL the others costs it takes to make that transaction occur (a store, an employee, business licenses, utilities, etc. and so on)

Including card processing (convenience) fees.

The PURCHASER subsidized cost is ALL the other costs incurred to make that transfer occur (time, fuel, taxes, etc. and so on).

For the sake of this discussion; lets limit ourselves to the topic of club match registration.

If card processing is offered - these debit/ credit card processing fees would be a supported cost and applied against the seller.

Making the transactional cost of the product (in this case, a match) to the end purchaser ONLY the xx dollars of match price.

If the club does NOT offer this option - then the PURCHASER must subsidize the seller by paying additional fees.

A USPS MO is a couple dollars ($2.10) for a typical annual entry.

A USPS stamp is a dollar.

An envelope is a few cents.

Paper and ink for application printing and completion a few more cents.

Yes, insignificant numbers - I admit.

But still additional costs.

Conversely - if online registration and payment is offered.

I (purchaser) am not charged any transactional fee on my Debit card.

I (purchaser) am not charged any fee for the email.

And I can do this transaction from the comfort of my home at 3am in my underwear.

So my transaction is more convenient - completed in a fraction of the time - I can receive instant confirmation - all for free.

Now the transaction and supported fees are back on the seller as they should be.  And YES; there are costs (and YES, these costs could be more the purchasers subsidized costs) - but the convenience and efficiency on the club (sellers) side of faster processing, easier data entry, ease of deposit, accurate information transfer and lessening risk of losing physical checks, money orders or applications generally offset these supported fees.

The SELLER can choose to support certain fees or the PURCHASER can choose to subsidize certain fees. 

But the claim that use of electronic payment increases cost to the consumer is informational cherry picking at best.

• Like 4

My local LGS now adds 3% to all purchases with a card, debit or credit. It is what it is for the convenience of not always having a pocket full of cash.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

My local LGS now adds 3% to all purchases with a card, debit or credit. It is what it is for the convenience of not always having a pocket full of cash.

Yep my favorite LGS/range has been doing that for years! 

On 3/18/2024 at 4:44 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Again I ask what secure online payment service are these clubs to use and how much do they charge?

Don't criticize if you don't have a workable solution.

Again Paypal is a non-starter. 

We use Stripe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Waimea said:

We use Stripe.

Stripe is a pretty good format for a forward facing processing interface.

A number of my clients use Stripe.

I also believe Square offers an interface that allows for end user data input.

This style interface allows for consumer (end user) input and provides for data security and encryption.

These systems protects both the consumer AND the seller from bad actors retrieving or reusing data.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I own a card processing company. 

IMO, I believe your research results are being misapplied.

There are direct costs to ALL transactions.  And THEN there are either SELLER supported OR PURCHASER subsidized costs (sometimes both) to ALL transactions.

The direct cost is for the ACTUAL item or service being exchanged, i.e.

You pay xx dollars for a pound of powder.

This is payment for product.

The retailer sells you a pound of powder for xx dollars.

This is product for payment.

Simple enough?

The RETAILER supported cost is ALL the others costs it takes to make that transaction occur (a store, an employee, business licenses, utilities, etc. and so on)

Including card processing (convenience) fees.

The PURCHASER subsidized cost is ALL the other costs incurred to make that transfer occur (time, fuel, taxes, etc. and so on).

For the sake of this discussion; lets limit ourselves to the topic of club match registration.

If card processing is offered - these debit/ credit card processing fees would be a supported cost and applied against the seller.

Making the transactional cost of the product (in this case, a match) to the end purchaser ONLY the xx dollars of match price.

If the club does NOT offer this option - then the PURCHASER must subsidize the seller by paying additional fees.

A USPS MO is a couple dollars ($2.10) for a typical annual entry.

A USPS stamp is a dollar.

An envelope is a few cents.

Paper and ink for application printing and completion a few more cents.

Yes, insignificant numbers - I admit.

But still additional costs.

Conversely - if online registration and payment is offered.

I (purchaser) am not charged any transactional fee on my Debit card.

I (purchaser) am not charged any fee for the email.

And I can do this transaction from the comfort of my home at 3am in my underwear.

So my transaction is more convenient - completed in a fraction of the time - I can receive instant confirmation - all for free.

Now the transaction and supported fees are back on the seller as they should be.  And YES; there are costs (and YES, these costs could be more the purchasers subsidized costs) - but the convenience and efficiency on the club (sellers) side of faster processing, easier data entry, ease of deposit, accurate information transfer and lessening risk of losing physical checks, money orders or applications generally offset these supported fees.

The SELLER can choose to support certain fees or the PURCHASER can choose to subsidize certain fees. 

But the claim that use of electronic payment increases cost to the consumer is informational cherry picking at best.

Stamps are 68 cents.  

I haven't bought an envelope in years. I get 10 times more greeting cards with envelopes as junk mail than I can use in a year.

MO from my local bank is costs a quarter.

So it costs less than a dollar.

The credit card fees ultimately pain by the user. Either directly or baked into the match fee.

Somebody has to set up and build the website for online registration. If you've never done this the task can be intimidating.

I'm not saying that online registration isn't a good idea it's that its not free and it does come with its own set of challenges

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

I thought I'd previously seen discussions here about listing the categories on Practiscore. Why don't  more clubs use it. Is the high number of categories  SASS offers the problem?

I like Practiscore. Like anything else there is a learning curve. To me the biggest benefit is that it has real money supporting it. So there is long term support. All of the other scoring program's lifespan relies on 1 or two people to maintain. If they stop then the program dies.  Case in point A.C.E.S. Great program till the developer went onto other things.

I'm just starting to explore the online side of Practiscore. It looks pretty good.

On 3/17/2024 at 11:43 AM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Most of the "Head Down" generation won't play a game that can't be played from a couch on an electronic device.

That is simply not true! Red Dead Redemtion - a video game - has brought in several young people

that I know. 

If we make blanket generalizations - “SASS is dying” (it’s not based on the number of new shooters buying ammo from me to get started and what I see where I go).  Or, “young people” aren’t interested then we get what we get - what we deserve. It becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Everywhere I go if the opportunity arises, I tell people what I do and if there’s a club near them, I tell them!  

Spread the word near and far! It’s the most fun EVER and when people see it, they see how much fun we are having and want to play too!

Hugs!

Scarlett

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

16 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Stripe is a pretty good format for a forward facing processing interface.

A number of my clients use Stripe.

I also believe Square offers an interface that allows for end user data input.

This style interface allows for consumer (end user) input and provides for data security and encryption.

These systems protects both the consumer AND the seller from bad actors retrieving or reusing data.

Last time I looked at Square the terms lumped firearm type businesses in with gambling and porn.

That's why we went with Stripe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2024 at 11:00 AM, Black Hills Barb said:

There's just one more problem at our range and at others we have shot at.  We do not have cellular reception.  I guess that does put us in the 90s...the 1890s!  Saddle up and visit us for the real cowboy experience! :D

You don’t need cellphone reception or Internet..

Credit card reader interfaces to a smart device phone or pad) by Bluetooth.  After the match take the smart device home or wherever there is Internet to upload the payment information.

9 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I like Practiscore. 

As I recall PractiScore has a provision to accept credit card payments for clubs.

27 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

As I recall PractiScore has a provision to accept credit card payments for clubs.

USPSA, IDPA, ICORE, Steel Challenge and outlaw matches are almost all set up on Practiscore with credit card payments. One small club has registration on Practiscore but you pay at the match. 

• Thanks 1

I’ll let others debate the other details, but as a new participant, I wanted to say 1000% yes on the making sure you have an address easily visible. I’ve lost track of how many match flyers, facebook pages and websites have led me on a wild chase just to find out where in the world the match is being held. It’s not a good return on your investment to spend 10 minutes searching and find the match you were curious about is on the other side of the country. As a result, many keep browsing and miss even the events that were close by if it isn’t clearly indicated. 

• Like 4

For those who don’t know Facebook is against firearms. I have had folks tell me they won’t wear Levis and then tell me about Facebook. 

I hope it’s going away. I heard some 20 something’s say it was for old people.

• Thanks 1

If you start looking at who is anti-gun, the list gets long. Many will need to change how they shop, where they eat, where they watch movies, who they use for phone coverage, where they get healthcare, and on and on. A biggie is YUM Foods.

All of these companies are anti-gun in some manner.

20/20 Vision
A&M Records
AlleyCorp
Alphabet, Inc.
Amalgamated Bank
Ambition
AMC Theatres
AOL / Time Warner
Ariel Investments LLC
Artsy
Ascend.io
Aspiration
AT&T
Aura
Backpack
Bad Robot
Bain Capital
Bank of America
Beeswax
Begin
Betaworks
Beyond Meat
Bloomberg LP
Bonusly
Brat
Brookfield Property
Brud
Bumble
Burger King
Cambly
Catch & Release
Cerebras Systems
Chipotle
Circle Medical
ClassPass
Clearbit
Clever
Clockwise
CNN
Color Genomics
Comcast
Conde Nast
Costco
Credit Karma
Crunchbase
Curalate
Curtsy
Dannon
Delta Airlines
DICK’S Sporting Goods
Disney Company
DoorDash

Doxel, Inc.
Ebay
Ecolab
Edelman
Elektra Labs
Emerson Collective
Enterprise
Eventbrite
Farmstead
Full Picture
Fundera
Gap Inc.
Gateway Computers
GE
GEICO

Goat Group
Golden
Graphic Packaging
Group Nine Media
Gucci
Guru
Hallmark Cards
Hard Rock Cafe

Havas Group
HBO
Hint, Inc.
HipDot
Hooked
Horizon Media
Humbition
Impossible Foods
Interpublic
Intuit
JOOR
Jumbo Privacy
Kabbage Inc.

Kadena
Kanga
Knowable
Lattice
Levi Strauss & Co.
Lucent Technologies
Lyft
MetaProp.vc
MetLife

Microsoft
Modern Fertility
MongoDB Inc.
MSNBC
MTV
Navient
NBC Universal
NCR Corp.
Neighborland
NewsCred
Nextdoor
NowThis
Nurx
Oaktree Capital
Oberndorf Enterprises
Oceans
OfferUp
Okta
Omnicom Group
Openpath
Panera Bread
Parabol
Paravision
Paypal
Pinterest
Plato Design
Postmates
Presto
Prima
Progressive Insurance
Prologis
Publicis Groupe
Quartzy
Reddit
Ribbon Health
Ro
Roofstock
Royal Caribbean Cruises
RXR Realty
Sara Lee
SelfMade
Shoptiques Inc.
Showtime Cable Network
Shutterstock Inc.
Sidewalk Labs
Sift
Skillshare
SkySafe
Small Door
SmartAsset
Snapdocs, Inc.
Solve.io
Sonic
Southwestern Bell

Splash
Square and Twitter
Squarespace
Standard Bots
Subway
Sundia Corporation
Sunlight Health
Superplastic
SurveyMonkey
SV Angel
Symantec
ThirdLove
Thisopenspace inc.
Thrive Capital
Thrive Global
ThunderCore Inc.
Tillable
Tinder
TOMS
Twilio
Uber
Uniform Teeth
Viosera Therapeutics
Virtual Kitchen
Voxer
Voyage
Watsi
WayUp
Whalar
Wizeline
WPP
X.ai, inc.
Y Combinator
Yelp
Yum Brands

Zola

Here is another list from the NRA in 2018:

A & M Records

American Century Companies

American Multi Cinemas Entertainment, Inc.

Argosy Casino

Ben & Jerry`s Homemade, Inc.

BJC Health Systems

Blue Cross Blue Shield – Kansas City

Brooks Investments-Robert Brooks

Carter Hawley Hale Stores, Inc.

Crown Central Petroleum Corp.

Development Specialists – Chicago

Earthgrains – St. Louis

National Bread Company

General American – St. Louis

Hallmark Cards