SASS Wire Forum

What do you think of ammunition as a present?

Alpo

On another board a young lady said that a friend of theirs is graduating high school. She is looking for suggestions for graduation present.

He's a country boy that hunts and shoots, so I presume he has at least one gun. I said to buy him ammunition. Check with his parents - you know, if he prefers Federal 180 grain 30/06, you don't want to buy Winchester 150 grain. So check with his parents and find out what he likes to shoot, and buy that.

It just seems to me that if you have a hobby that has a consumable, giving you that consumable is a present would be welcome. Film if you're a photographer. Balls if you're a golfer. Components if you're a reloader. Or ammunition if you're a normal shooter.

I know if somebody wanted to spend a couple hundred bucks on a present for me, a half a case of 45 ball would tickle me all to hell. Or if they only wanted to spend 40 or 50, a brick of 22s would be appreciated.

• Like 4

I gave my godson a case of 12-ga trap loads for a wedding present.

(My son - his "cuz" - gave his bride a shotgun.  She's a trap shooter too. :lol:)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My son buys me a gift certificate for a local gunshop on my birthday. 

• Like 3

Order of recommendation for gift-giving:

1. An experience. Something unique the recipient can do and come away from with memories. Generally pricey, but sharing cost could make it affordable.

2. Durable goods. Something actually useful that will last. Again, can be pricey, but sharing cost, etc. An outdoorsman? Some states have lifetime hunting/fishing licenses.

3. Consumables. Maybe the recipient will think of the gift when it's being used, maybe not. If a box of ammo does become the default, then at least jot a note on the box, inside the flap, somewhere.

#10 Remington percussion caps!!  .457 pure lead round balls and any F Black Powder!!

Yeah!  One of my favorite gifts!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Every Christmas my daughter wraps up boxes of ammo and primers in black paper wrapping. It is my coal for the year from her. I look forward to unwrapping my coal every year. She does tend to get the wrong type or brand but it all works so who cares. It is the thought that counts.

TM

• Like 5

I try not to give gifts that are what I consider to be “perishable” or “consumable”. Ammo falls under both categories, in my book. 

Years ago I gave a friend 500 rounds of 7.62x39 for his birthday. About a year later we were shooting in the desert. He brings out some of his ammo to load mags for his AK-47. I notice it’s the ammo I bought him. 
He proceeds shooting it and pretty much misses every target he shoots at by 6-12”.

He then starts complaining about the ammo, obviously completely forgetting where he got it. He fired about 40 rounds then put the remaining rounds back in the case and tossed it into his SUV. 
After b****ing and moaning about it for a while he gets this really stupid look on his face and says “Awe Man, I’m sorry. That’s the ammo you got me isn’t it?”

I told him not to worry about it, “If it’s crap, it’s crap”. 
He gave the ammo to someone else at work. They shot it and loved it. 

I gave 10 boxes of .22 WMR to a friend for Christmas in 2020. I helped him get his Ruger Single Six .22 Magnum in shape by detail cleaning it and installing a nice set of grips I had lying around. He acted like I gave him something useless and cheap (in 2020 .22 WMR was rare and very expensive)

This past Christmas he thanked me profusely for the gift I gave him 3 years prior. I guess he didn’t realize at the time what I had given him. 

That’s twice I gave ammo as a gift. Not doing it again. 

• Like 1

I've given primers and powders as gifts. No one complained. Both are what I consider consumable type gifts.

If they're happy with their gift, I don't give a darn what happens to the gift after that. 

Depends.  "Balls for a golfer" for example.  Some golfers don't care, but some golfers are pretty particular about whose balls the whack around.  Unless I played regular with the guy I would not go there.

If the guy is a shooter (plinks or practices a lot) a case or brick of whatever should be fine.

Like golf balls, I would not buy hunting ammo for anyone.  

I have loaded hunting ammo for a lot of friends and relatives.  Some had specific requests and some don't know the difference between Federal Premium and Remington Core-Lokt or Hornady Superperformance and Winchester white box.  I guess what I'm trying to say is, when it comes to purpose-specific ammo, you really need to know the recipient.

• Like 1

"Consumable" gifts can be practical, and the ones I give are always appreciated - case in point, the shotgun shells.  The key is something that I like to practice: thoughtful consideration.

I tend to put a good deal of thought into gifts, and try to come up with sometimes unique ideas - like looking for something that I'm sure would be a happy surprise, usually something the recipients would not likely have bought for themselves.  One thing I absolutely will NOT give is cash or gift certificates.  I think that's the lazy way out.  Anyone I'm going to give a gift to deserves a bit of thought.  I just cringe at the argument "Oh!  But that way they can get what they want!"

There's a bit of a risk; like with @Pat Riot's buddy, sometimes folk don't realize the value of the gift - not just the intrinsic value, but they may not understand the effort.  One example:  I once gave a good friend and his new bride a pricey Waterford crystal whisky decanter for a wedding present.   He was delighted; she just smiled politely and remarked "nice bottle."  

And then, back about '89 or so I bought  the Former-Missus-Hardpan a just-for-the-heck-of-it gift: a really nice Dooney & Bourke purse.  After all, who wouldn't like something with an embossed leather duck and a brass duck fob?  She was surprised and really liked it, but she'd never heard of the marque - she was more of a J C Penney type.  And Penney's did not carry 'em.  A couple of weeks later we went to visit an aunt of mine in a nearby city.  When we walked in, Auntie looked at the FMH and burst out "Omigawd, L!  You have one of those three hundred and fifty dollar Dooney & Bourke purses with the ducks!"  The FMH was shocked; she could've bought ten or more of her usual bags for what I'd paid for that thing.  But she suddenly really appreciated it a LOT more!  :lol:  

And that's okay.  The important thing to me is that I know I got them something cool - even if they don't.  ^_^

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Get a gift certificate to the sporting goods store; let him pick out what he wants.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Get a gift certificate to the sporting goods store; let him pick out what he wants.

Now that’s practical!!B)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I gave my godson a case of 12-ga trap loads for a wedding present.

(My son - his "cuz" - gave his bride a shotgun.  She's a trap shooter too. :lol:)  

I guess there will be no fights in that family....Just over who gets the last box....

Texas Lizard

• Haha 1

Ammo would work fine for me.  Just pick up a brick of 22LR and I'd be happy as a clam.  I think most shooters would be.  A carton of primers would also be a great gift for me.  I like to reload, and then like to shoot what I have reloaded, so it's like getting two gifts.  For me I don't really want "things".  I have a house full of things now.  Ammo and primers are easy to buy, you can easily choose how much you want to spend, and they allow me to do what I like to do.  As far as getting a specific ammo, or a type of ammo for a specific use, that would also be OK if you knew one of my shooting buddies and they could tell you exactly what I would use.  But, any 22LR would be fine too.  I can spend all day just plinking with 22 and be a happy camper.

• Like 1

Growing up, my mom would put some boxes of .22 LR and a box of 12 gauge shells in my stocking. The only problem was she always bought hard kicking high brass shells.

But it was the thought that counts! :) 

Wish she was still here. :( 

• Like 1

well , for a number of years i was able to buy ammo at a discount and i did - gave it as a gift to my kids for christmas , one of them thanked me and shot his all up , the other thanked me and stockpiled hers .....she is sitting on a goldmine at todays prices but ....then she wouldn't have anything to shoot , 

im talking lots of 9mm , 223 , 762 , and in his cae 45acp , i wish my parents would have done that for me but then we all wish better for our next generations and back in the 50s my folks thought ammo was no issue ....i shot my share in the 60s on my own dime as well , 

• Like 1

Here in CA, one cannot buy ammo unless they have both a Real ID plus a firearm registered at the current address of their driver's license.
This precludes Aunt Gramma from buyin ammo presents, in most cases.

They can somewhat get around the registered firearm requirement, by paying the $19+ background check fee.

Edited by bgavin

If you feel the need to buy me a present 45 colt or ACP is always welcome. Wouldn’t roll my nose at components of the above for reloading either. 

12 gauge winchester AA low noise low recoil is always appreciated to. 

just saying if anyone wants to be buying me presents that’ll appreciate!!!

I think most of us are very picky when it comes to our shooting accoutrement,  so maybe a gift card to the gun shop or sporting goods store where he frequently buys his shooting products(ammo,componants) that way he gets exactly what he wants

• Like 1