SASS Wire Forum

Stolen Sharps Rifle

Guys,

My neighbor who is a world class black powder rifle shooter was at the Ben Avery Shooting Range in Phoenix two weeks ago.  Someone broke into the truck and stole a high $$ Sharps rifle belonging to my neighbor, and two other rifles belonging to his friend.    A police report was taken, and reluctantly indicated that there has been a number of similar thefts in the area.  I would appreciate if those of you in the Phoenix area would keep an ear open to see if by some chance the rifle may be recovered.  My neighbor thinks it may already be across the border, but just in case I pray that it may be found.   Thanks for reading and keeping this in mind...

ADDITIONAL INFO:

This is a Shiloh Sharps Model 1877 , A-18,  English rifle,  Serial number E0118 with extra fancy wood and round barrel.   It was stolen from the Hampton Inn parking lot in the Anthem, Arizona

suburb.  If I can get info on the other two I will provide further .....

Edited by Gracos Kid
Added infor
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 11

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Follow-up question....

Where did this theft take place?

This was at a motel about 4 miles north of Ben Avery.  Motel did not allow firearms to be brought into the facility, so they were hidden/secured in the truck.  I can get the  serial numbers and better description when my neighbor returns.  Motel has been used by the competitors for about 7 years now, so logically seems it could be a motel employee who knows/shares info as to who is presently registered, or could be the local gang activity who has learned when a competition is underway to work the nighttime parking lots.......Motel had no cameras in the area of the parking lot.....

Edited by Gracos Kid
Added infor
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, Gracos Kid said:

This was at a motel about 4 miles north of Ben Avery.  Motel did not allow firearms to be brought into the facility

Which motel?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gracos Kid said:

This was at a motel about 4 miles north of Ben Avery.  Motel did not allow firearms to be brought into the facility, so they were hidden/secured in the truck.  I can get the  serial numbers and better description when my neighbor returns.  Motel has been used by the competitors for about 7 years now, so logically seems it could be a motel employee who knows/shares info as to who is presently registered, or could be the local gang activity who has learned when a competition is underway to work the nighttime parking lots.......Motel had no cameras in the area of the parking lot.....

That worked out well and Thieves know this  If I cant bring them in there are other hotels 

• Like 3

We should ALL know the name of this motel so that we can avoid it entirely!!

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

We should ALL know the name of this motel so that we can avoid it entirely!!

Hampton Inn in Anthem, just north of Phoenix......

• Thanks 5

1 minute ago, Gracos Kid said:

Hampton Inn in Anthem, just north of Phoenix......

It should be devoutly avoided!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gracos Kid said:

Motel did not allow firearms to be brought into the facility

This doesn't pass the smell test.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Stump Water said:

This doesn't pass the smell test.

I have stayed there many times and saw folks bring in their firearms.  But have not been there since 2022.

• Thanks 1

Some hotels are/have been changing their policy's in reaction to the Las Vegas incident (Liability). As stated there have been other incidents in the area and reportedly even a smash & grab in the parking lot of Ben Avery, during open hours.  With the recent EOT & November CMP games and other matches being well publicized on our shooting forums - the organized gangs probably have it on their respective calendars already. Others may be targets of opportunity & inside information.

Recently, Phx has been dealing with organized crews from out of the country hitting homes during dinner time.

https://www.azfamily.com/2024/02/18/police-arrest-3-suspects-accused-dinner-time-burglaries-across-phoenix-area/

Edited by Dr. Zook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Places that refuse to allow people to carry guns should be required by law to provide bonded armed security for those who are prevented from protecting themselves and bonded storage for their firearms!!

More guns and other weapons are stolen from vehicles in the parking facilities of places where carry is prohibited, by far and away, than anywhere else!!

If you’re not willing to allow me to protect myself then you should be legally responsible for my security and the safety of my family, friends, and any property I bring into your place of business!!

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sad to admit, we don't have any stickers on our vehicles.  Not NRA. Not the SASS cowboy. No bumper stickers.  Not stick figures of wife, kids and dowg. 

We don't travel overnight with guns often but have soft sided cases for our long guns that could be guitar cases. Handguns (in soft cases) pitched in with other travel items. We've staid in travel lodges where you about have to come through lobby. Knock on wood, we've never had a problem.  

• Like 2

That Sharps rifle should stand out when it gets pawned somewhere. A fairly unique and seldom seen rifle. More modern guns not so much but it could be that that Sharps is identified in short order unless it goes across the border or in somebody’s basement for 10 years but I don’t see that happening as they were probably stolen to fund a drug habit. Problem is if the police find that Sharps it will be locked away, as evidence for who knows how long…

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Sad to admit, we don't have any stickers on our vehicles.  Not NRA. Not the SASS cowboy. No bumper stickers.  Not stick figures of wife, kids and dowg. 

We don't travel overnight with guns often but have soft sided cases for our long guns that could be guitar cases. Handguns (in soft cases) pitched in with other travel items. We've staid in travel lodges where you about have to come through lobby. Knock on wood, we've never had a problem.  

Me too.  I never thought to ask (;)) if a motel disallowed certain items.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Me too.  I never thought to ask (;)) if a motel disallowed certain items.  

Exactly. 

• Like 2

Might a sentence, in the match registration process, about friendly/unfriendly Hotels/Motels in the area, be useful?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Might a sentence, in the match registration process, about friendly/unfriendly Hotels/Motels in the area, be useful?

With a copy sent to each Hotel/Motel and their home office informing them how much business they're losing out on.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

We did stay in a motel in Pratt, Kansas that had a sign in room saying not to clean your ducks and geese in room!

Did stay in a motel in WY a few years ago...sign:  "Elk and Deer Dressing Station out back..."  My kind of motel!    SB

• Like 3

But yet, the EOT website shows a Hampton Inn in Happy Valley as a "preferred" hotel.  It appears to me that there is no corporate policy for or against firearms, but rather each site makes up its own rule.  I have stayed in a number of hotels in AZ, NM and other states and there was no problem with bringing cased firearms into  the room, whether I asked about it first or not.

1 hour ago, Shepherd Book said:

Did stay in a motel in WY a few years ago...sign:  "Elk and Deer Dressing Station out back..."  My kind of motel!    SB

Now that you mentioned it, I think the motel in Pratt had some facilities to clean their ducks and geese.

I've never felt good about leaving them in an unoccupied room either. Every employee still has access! 

• Like 2

I drove past this hotel while at EOT. It is right off the interstate.  I stayed at the HI in Cave Creek which is about 15 miles from the Ben Avery. We felt really safe and protected.  I hope they get their equipment back. 

I have never asked the hotel help whether something in a closed bag was allowed in my room or not! 
None of their business, and it sure seems to be a stretch that if something happened that they would be liable for my actions. If they are, that is a telling commentary on our legal system and some of those who practice it showing a greed that is disgusting. 
Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

• Like 4

I guess it's happens,  but I felt nervous about the lax display of guns and equipment at some local matches.  At one range, the parking lot is a long ways away from the shooting range and completely out of sight.  It's open to other users of the range.  Seen some pretty bad behavior done by somebody. Storage buildings shot up. Tables set on end and used as targets. I wouldn't trust them to leave other people's property alone.

• Sad 1

Unfortunately the dopehead thieves would just as easily have an interest in guitar cases and anything else we tried for concealment that might prove to be of material value...  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I've never felt good about leaving them in an unoccupied room either. Every employee still has access! 

Better then leaving them in a vehicle?

• Like 1

So here is a thought, how many members have Apple phones?

Apple makes trackable apple tags that you could insert into your rifle case or between the buttstock and the butt plate cushion somewhere in the magazine or under the barrel inside groove on the rifle stock .

just something to think about 

Edited by Dr. Zook
Context verbage
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dr. Zook said:

Apple phones make apple tags that you could insert into your rifle case or between the buttstock and the butt plate cushion somewhere in the magazine or under the barrel inside groove on the rifle stock .

So the antigun Apple can track your guns' movement?

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Dr. Zook said:

Apple phones make apple tags that you could insert into your rifle case or between the buttstock and the butt plate cushion somewhere in the magazine or under the barrel inside groove on the rifle stock .

So you can track it AFTER it's stolen? Best to be pro-active, not re-active.

Don't leave your guns in your vehicle, take them into the room with you. If you leave the room go out for a meal or such, put them back in your vehicle, park near a window at the restaurant and request a seat that you can see the vehicle from. Take every precaution that you can. Sure, it's a pain in the a** but so is filling out a police report, insurance report (if you have that type insurance) and replacing the stolen items.

I've seen way too many people have their guns/leather/ammo/accoutrements stolen from their vehicles in hotel parking lots at large matches. I don't want it to happen to me.

Edited by Cypress Sun
  • Like 3