SASS Wire Forum

California residents buying rounds?

Getting back to the taxation thing. My home and property here in Tennessee appraised at around $130,000.00!  Thats an acre and three quarters on a dead end street, a 1,400 sq ft. brick home and a 2,400 sq ft. garage and shop with local school on the next block, access to interstate highway within 2.5 miles, easy access to local shopping and major top notch medical within 20 minutes.

The same house in suburban Los Angeles would be over a half million dollars. Property taxes would be approximately $3,550.00.  My property tax this year will be $871.00

To register and tag Ol’ Green, my Chevy dually, costs $118.00. This includes the local county wheel tax, (not every county charges this and it’s different in different counties, my county being the highest in the state) $50.00 , state registration $37.00, and a $30.00 charge for my “GUNFYTR” vanity tag. My Buick was only $37.00 last year because the county suspended the wheel tax.

There’s no state income tax, the highway tax on gasoline is $.27 per gallon, no estate taxes, no personal property taxes, and there are provisions for low income and elderly or disabled residents to receive tax breaks. Gas, last Saturday, was $2.62 a gallon.

We DO have a state sales tax with different levels for goods, services, and groceries. The sales tax on groceries gets suspended from time to time, last year from the first of August to the end of October.

No additional taxes on firearms or ammunition, but there is a tax on liquor by the drink. :rolleyes:

There are certainly other taxes that I have overlooked and some that we never see because they are added to the price of goods and services by the retailers.

It’s really a low tax state, all in all.

Can you buy your house today for $130k?

I doubt it.

I paid $110k for mine, which today would sell for $500k

The point is what would be paid for somebody buying a property at todays pricing.

Our San Diego property is worth $2.2M with a property tax of $895 because it has been in the family since 1948.  Current tax without Prop 13 protection is $16,600 yearly.

Why is it that every time there is a post about California, in this case it is even a positive one, some fine individuals ( my true thoughts would get me banned) have the gall to accuse me directly for the laws in California?  You don’t like Californians, fine. Keep your negative opinions to yourself in your own backwards state. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/2/2024 at 1:41 AM, watab kid said:

i feel a bit bad for te CA residents , they dont have all the other options the rest of us have , but then im not overthinking it as they really did vote their own problems in , you could vote them out you know ? that said i hope my shooting friends in CA have everything they need , i do - just loaded 1000 rounds of 45 in the last few weeks , 

Sorry but you are sadly mistake on your comment

I can have a comparable home built on similar property for about $155,000.00. I can sell it for $300,000.00.

It will likely appraise for approximately 1/3 actual value and insure easily for more than the purchase price.

Add to all of the things that I have listed in my last post and this one, the fact that I can buy ANY gun and/or any ammunition I want, I can buy and drive any vehicle I want to, ANYWHERE I want to, I can fire up my gasoline lawnmower, weed eater, leaf blower, chainsaw anywhere and any time I want to. I can walk into any establishment that doesn’t prohibit me from carrying my weapon, INCLUDING MY DOCTORS’ OFFICES, with my gun on my hip for all the world to see! I can sit down in a restaurant and have a meal and NOT have to lock my gun in the car/truck, even in establishments that serve alcohol, so long as I don’t drink alcohol.

Local governments are prohibited from passing laws or making rules that trump state law.

No CARB, decent power grid, (and they’re working on it all the time to improve service and reliability) no DROS, good forest management, great reservoir system, lower fuel prices, affordable housing, and mostly sensible government!

Not too bad for a backward “flyover” state.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Assuming only legal votes are counted.

i hear that , we shall see how this next one goes but im betting a lot of noncitizens will be voting 

• Thanks 1

I have lived in California 4 different times (what was it Einstein said?)

Actually, each time I moved there it was for work. I grew to hate California over time because of the laws, regulations, fees and taxes. 
When I moved back there in 2018 I did so because I wanted my wife to live close to her only grandson before he turned 18 and went off to school or the military. My plan was to stay until 2025. 
After putting up with the government, the public and my job during the idiocy of Covid and the way I was treated at work I said “Screw It! We’re leaving”

I do not regret leaving there. 

People say “Fight the good fight”, “Stay and help us beat these subversive d’bags”, “We need people like you to stay!”

I tell them “I came here in December of ‘82. This place has Progressively gotten worse. I helped fight the good fight. No one will fight the dirty fight so I gotta go.”

What was it that Einstein said?

image.jpeg.a48efdee91585fba1678348332fbf5b7.jpeg

I miss friends and loved ones living there, but that state is too far gone to fix now. 

Edited by Pat Riot
Otto was developed in California… Bastage!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, watab kid said:

which one ? 

About what Californian have voted for

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I have lived in California 4 different times (what was it Einstein said?)

Actually, each time I moved there it was for work. I grew to hate California over time because of the laws, regulations, fees and taxes. 
When I moved back there in 2018 I did so because I wanted my wife to live close to her only grandson before he turned 18 and went off to school or the military. My plan was to stay until 2025. 
After putting up with the government, the public and my job during the idiocy of Covid and the way I was treated at work I said “Screw It! We’re leaving”

I do not regret leaving there. 

People say “Fight the good fight”, “Stay and help us beat these subversive d’bags”, “We need people like you to stay!”

I tell them “I came here in December of ‘82. This place has Progressively gotten worse. I helped fight the good fight. No one will fight the dirty fight so I gotta go.”

What was it that Einstein said?

image.jpeg.a48efdee91585fba1678348332fbf5b7.jpeg

I miss friends and loved ones living there, but that state is too far gone to fix now. 

I lived there the majority of my life and I agree with you 100% I seen it go from a.very cool place to something I would never go back to live in. My mother and 1 son is the only reason I even go back into California for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

I lived there the majority of my life and I agree with you 100% I seen it go from a.very cool place to something I would never go back to live in. My mother and 1 son is the only reason I even go back into California for.

Same situation for me. My daughter, son-in-law and grandson still live there. They talk about leaving there once my grandson graduates high school this year, but we’ll see. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Shoer 27979 said:

About what Californian have voted for

OK , explain me -

i see what they have and i see what we have here - yes there are a lot of us that voted for better but we are outnumbered and those folks voted for what we got and continue to do so , so , we get more of the same , what the majority voted for , 

• Thanks 1

:ph34r:  Yes....  living under the 'Tyranny of the Majority'.

I don't recall who from England it was who toured the United States and afterward commented' "Never underestimate the stupidity of the American voter."

And with the current level of education of young voters and their reliance on questionably reliable social media for their 'information', I don't forsee any positive   changes. 

• Like 1

The California news media is in lockstep with the Leftist politicians and vice versa. 

Remember the 80’s song “Dirty Laundry” by Don Henley?

That song was about Los Angeles TV News. In particular, news anchors Christine Lund and Jerry Dunphy on KABC channel 7 News. 
That was when I first saw news anchor conjecture becoming part of the news. 
They found that they could exaggerate, voice opinions and absolutely lie and no one called them on it. I truly believe from there it became the norm and was encouraged. 

Another way the likeminded politicos and corporate news scum maintain and steer the message they want broadcast is through paying high salaries to the talking heads doing the news. The starting salary of a news anchor in Los Angeles is now around $800,000 a year, plus perqs. How many people do you know that would sell their soul for that kind of a salary?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/3/2024 at 8:12 PM, Cypress Sun said:

Is everyone in Michigan to blame for Gretchen Whitmer?

You are damn right it's all are fault that we have that Democ-Rat B!+@4  in office for the second time.

We all (what I mean by all )

Is.

We The Gun People 

We The Free People 

Shit just .

We The People 

Need to get our heads out of our ass and talk to our friends and family and make sure we all get out and Vote.

It starts at the Local level and works its way all the way up to Congress and the White House .

We The People need to Vote in a change of administration  period.

I'm not just batching about Kalifornia I'm batching about everyone.

WE  THE  PEOPLE  NEED  TO  GET OUT AND  VOTE !

Edited by Rooster Ron Wayne
  • Thanks 4

To be expected!  Because of the moment to moment changes in enforcement status, these kinds of cases should be “fast tracked” immediately to the next higher court!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

You are damn right it's all are fault that we have that Democ-Rat B!+@4  in office for the second time.

We all (what I mean by all )

Is.

We The Gun People 

We The Free People 

Shit just .

We The People 

Need to get our heads out of our ass and talk to our friends and family and make sure we all get out and Vote.

It starts at the Local level and works its way all the way up to Congress and the White House .

We The People need to Vote in a change of administration  period.

I'm not just batching about Kalifornia I'm batching about everyone.

WE  THE  PEOPLE  NEED  TO  GET OUT AND  VOTE !

Yep and people need to remember that even if you detest both candidates you still need to vote. Vote for the one that is the lesser of the two evils.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2024 at 5:56 PM, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:    Difficult to legally 'fight the good fight' when we are outnumbered in the legislature about 5 to 1.

There are been 6,000,000 and 8,000,000 gun owners in California.  Can you imagine what the impact would be on the wethers and capons in Sacramento if even half of us wrote to our representatives twice a month?    Say a member of the Assembly got 15,000 letters every week and each letter took 3 minutes of staff time to process.  That's 750 man hours every week. That's almost 19 40 man-weeks every week.    But most gun owners in CA, if they think about it at all, prefer to whine about how they can't do anything rather than actually doing something.   Even something as basic as spending 10 minutes a week to search for proposed anti-civil rights bills in the Legislature, then another couple of minutes writing a couple of letters.

(Ok, Joe, step off of your soapbox)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just feel sick.  

The party that has historically persecuted minority peoples continues to do so... they've just changed their target minority section of society.  :(

• Thanks 2

On 2/4/2024 at 10:01 PM, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  Yes....  living under the 'Tyranny of the Majority'.

I don't recall who from England it was who toured the United States and afterward commented' "Never underestimate the stupidity of the American voter."

And with the current level of education of young voters and their reliance on questionably reliable social media for their 'information', I don't forsee any positive   changes. 

you got that right to a tee , we did allow that tho as we let our school system get taken over by the liberals then the commies that were once just the liberals and now are the anarchists , 

i watched the jan 6 BS play out - if the tables were turned the roles reversed , we would be hearing that they were freedom fighters and grass roots peaceful protestors , but no - what we hear is they are traitors - im sorry thats not JFKs view of his opposition nor the actions of a civilized world free of the bannana republic attitudes of the commie point of view , 

its time for our constitution to kick in - on our boarder , in our politics and in our schools , all of hem from K thru grad , our kids are not for sale , our constitution exists and we will live by it ......or .....

6 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

UPDATE 

The Ninth Circuit has blocked the District Court order that halted the Ammo Background Checks in California.

The law is enforceable again, for now.

AKA:

The ammo run is over until further notice

And who ever is in that voting pool needs to remember who that Judge is and do everything in your power to remove them from that job  !

1 hour ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

And who ever is in that voting pool needs to remember who that Judge is and do everything in your power to remove them from that job  !

Those are appointed, not elected.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, PowderRiverCowboy said:

UPDATE 

The Ninth Circuit has blocked the District Court order that halted the Ammo Background Checks in California.

The law is enforceable again, for now.

AKA:

The ammo run is over until further notice

I expected this would happen. And now, just like every other similar case, this will sit idle. Probably for years. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Those are appointed, not elected.

Or payed for :ph34r:

LAX Ammo sat on their hands with my order, and now it is once again illegal to ship to CA.

It doesn't take CA very long to find an activist judge that will countermand Benitez.

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

There are been 6,000,000 and 8,000,000 gun owners in California.  Can you imagine what the impact would be on the wethers and capons in Sacramento if even half of us wrote to our representatives twice a month?    Say a member of the Assembly got 15,000 letters every week and each letter took 3 minutes of staff time to process.  That's 750 man hours every week. That's almost 19 40 man-weeks every week.    But most gun owners in CA, if they think about it at all, prefer to whine about how they can't do anything rather than actually doing something.   Even something as basic as spending 10 minutes a week to search for proposed anti-civil rights bills in the Legislature, then another couple of minutes writing a couple of letters.

(Ok, Joe, step off of your soapbox)

I don't think it would  make a difference.  They would probably tax you some more to hire the additional people to handle the mail.  This isn't about facts, it's about control and emotions.

After the Sandy Hook  shooting the gun owners in CT emailed, mailed and called our reps.  I had one rep respond to an email with something to the effect of "You're not on my district, don't contact me again".

We showed up at the Legislature for the public hearings at 10 am and it was 3 am or 4 am before the last of us were heard,  For a couple of days we actually thought we had made a difference and then the leaders in the legislature, both Democratic and Republican screwed gun owners by passing a gun control bill at 4 am under the "emergency" provision that allowed them to bypass the regular steps.  The state courts took the legislature's side. 

So unless the Supreme Court rules otherwise, CT still has an "assault weapons ban",  10 round magazine limit and many other of the same laws as CA.  About the only plus is that CT is a shall issue state when it comes to carry permits.

I suppose, to be fair, it was political suicide for most of CT's state senators and representatives to vote against gun control when 20 elementary school children and 6 school staff were murdered.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I don't think it would  make a difference.  They would probably tax you some more to hire the additional people to handle the mail.  This isn't about facts, it's about control and emotions.

After the Sandy Hook  shooting the gun owners in CT emailed, mailed and called our reps.  I had one rep respond to an email with something to the effect of "You're not on my district, don't contact me again".

We showed up at the Legislature for the public hearings at 10 am and it was 3 am or 4 am before the last of us were heard,  For a couple of days we actually thought we had made a difference and then the leaders in the legislature, both Democratic and Republican screwed gun owners by passing a gun control bill at 4 am under the "emergency" provision that allowed them to bypass the regular steps.  The state courts took the legislature's side. 

So unless the Supreme Court rules otherwise, CT still has an "assault weapons ban",  10 round magazine limit and many other of the same laws as CA.  About the only plus is that CT is a shall issue state when it comes to carry permits.

I suppose, to be fair, it was political suicide for most of CT's state senators and representatives to vote against gun control when 20 elementary school children and 6 school staff were murdered.

It's always amazing that politicians actually believe that criminals are going to heed laws...any laws. 

• Like 3