SASS Wire Forum

UPS to cut 12,000 jobs

They hired a lot during 2020 & 2021 due to Covid shipments. Perhaps they are dropping the positions they filled during those couple of years. 

Lately, at two suburban PO's the most I've seen was two clerks for ten or twelve customers...that's if one clerk isn't looking for one customer's vacation-hold mail!  At the rate the stamps for a First Class letter keep going up, they might as well charge $1.00 (currently 69 cents...or it was on Friday), and get it over with. As for shipping rates, I ordered a model railroad part on ebay and it cost about twice the cost of the item to ship it!

• Like 3

Amazon Prime Membership

Shipping is Free !

Everything else I pay for online with a credit card .

Or I purchased it

in-person .

UPS has been A$$40les to deal with for years now.

I'm getting back to doing deals with a handshake and in-person wen ever possible. 

Rooster 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Lately, at two suburban PO's the most I've seen was two clerks for ten or twelve customers...that's if one clerk isn't looking for one customer's vacation-hold mail!  At the rate the stamps for a First Class letter keep going up, they might as well charge $1.00 (currently 69 cents...or it was on Friday), and get it over with. As for shipping rates, I ordered a model railroad part on ebay and it cost about twice the cost of the item to ship it!

UPS not USPS is cutting peoples jobs

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Thank you.

From that article;

"UPS’ business surged to record levels in the first three years of the pandemic, as online shopping exploded. The company’s sales topped $100 billion for the first time in 2022. The fact that revenue in 2023 fell more than 9% and won’t top that benchmark again in the near future is “candidly difficult and disappointing,” said CEO Carol Tome on a conference call with investors Tuesday."

Sounds to me like false expectations based on unusual circumstances.  

• Thanks 1

I think part of the problem (maybe a big part) is that a large portion of the population in this country and around the world have run out of credit.  When interest rates went from 3% to 7% here in the US, it impacted home sales and large purchases and while that is local and not global, that has a big impact on the global economy as the US are big consumers.

Add to that the increase in Credit Card Interest to 30% and it's a recipe for disaster.  Folks are spending all they make, they have spent all of their equity, and they are hitting their credit limit.  Labor costs are up, materials costs are up, transportation costs are up, and taxes are up (but the economy is doing fine according to the WhiteHouse :huh:) and that makes everything even more expensive.  Toss in the end of the "Free Covid Money" and I suspect it will be a lot worse before it gets better.

UPS is smart to start making the moves now.  Trucking has been downsizing for a while.

Just my $0.02, which probably won't even buy the glue on the back of the tape used to seal the UPS boxes....

Edited by Dogmeat Dad, SASS #48563L
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It is not so much that prices are going up as it is the value of a dollar is getting less.
This happens when the money press doesn’t stop whether it is for “defense”, “relief”, “entitlement/social programs”, or “ foreign aid” - the four biggest scams driving inflation and bankrupting this country at the expense of our present and future middle and lower classes. 
Free handouts have created labor shortages , driving up labor costs to get people to show up ( and largely screw around all day), while scarcity (in goods and housing) has driven up prices furthering the purchasing power problem even more.

Edited by Dirty Dan Dawkins
  • Like 1

Didn’t they hire a bunch of people for the Holidays?? Those were pretty much temporary jobs, I assume those are included in this. 

32 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

A lot of their business was shipping for Amazon. Amazon does much of that itself now still leaving the more difficult routes to ups.

.Pretty much this.  From what I'm seeing & hearing is that anything near an Amazon warehouse in the urban and suburbs gets shipped using Amazon vans

For the more rural areas where there aren't a lot of Amazon deliveries on a regular basis Amazon hands it off to USPS and UPS (and maybe Fedex)

Not entirely sure what 3rd party vendors who sell on Amazon do, best guess is what ever is cheapest.

Here in Vermont, from Amazon, anything that will fit in a standard mailbox ships USPS, anything larger usually comes UPS. But they do break that rule sometimes.

im wondering if the USPO delivering all those prime orders hasn't had an effect on this ? cutting into their margins , they are a business that needs to make a profit after all , that is not a dirty word - its essential to our economy 

14 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Started May '22 and I think they hammered the current policy in August '22.  

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/senators-want-gun-shipment-stats-from-trucking-rail-companies-following-shootings

At least locally I have never been able to ship from a UPS Customer Center, always have had to take it to the local UPS hub.  My understanding is the UPS CCs are sort of a franchise and UPS did not want to be liable for firearms damaged or stolen.  

I wonder how much of it is due to the union contract:

“Our members just ratified the most lucrative agreement the Teamsters have ever negotiated at UPS. This contract will improve the lives of hundreds of thousands of workers,” Teamsters General President Sean M. O’Brien said in a statement. “Teamsters have set a new standard and raised the bar for pay, benefits, and working conditions in the package delivery industry. This is the template for how workers should be paid and protected nationwide, and nonunion companies like Amazon better pay attention.” Under the tentative agreement, full- and part-time union workers will get $2.75 more per hour in 2023, and $7.50 more in total by the end of the five-year contract. Starting hourly pay for part-time employees also got bumped up to $21, but some workers said that fell short of their expectations.

• Thanks 1

Gotta hunch that there’s going to be lots of layoffs in the not too distant future. 

2 hours ago, July Smith said:

At least locally I have never been able to ship from a UPS Customer Center, always have had to take it to the local UPS hub.  My understanding is the UPS CCs are sort of a franchise and UPS did not want to be liable for firearms damaged or stolen.  

UPS Customer Centers are UPS owned and run.  UPS Stores are privately owned and run, set their own rates and fees, do not accept firearms.

Just now, sassnetguy50 said:

UPS Customer Centers are UPS owned and run.  UPS Stores are privately owned and run, set their own rates and fees, do not accept firearms.

Thanks for the clarification.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Not so much the contract, it was the strike before the contract.

Lots of big customers switched to FedEx, and they will not all come back. At least not right away.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Not so much the contract, it was the strike before the contract.

Lots of big customers switched to FedEx, and they will not all come back. At least not right away.

The hardest customer to win is the customer you just lost.

• Thanks 2

Don’t worry everyone. I am sure the president will do everything possible to fix this. I am sure it’ll be part of his reelection campaign. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

“Our members just ratified the most lucrative agreement the Teamsters have ever negotiated at UPS. This contract will improve the lives of hundreds of thousands of workers,” Teamsters General President Sean M. O’Brien said in a statement. “Teamsters have set a new standard and raised the bar for pay, benefits, and working conditions in the package delivery industry. This is the template for how workers should be paid and protected nationwide, and nonunion companies like Amazon better pay attention.” Under the tentative agreement, full- and part-time union workers will get $2.75 more per hour in 2023, and $7.50 more in total by the end of the five-year contract. Starting hourly pay for part-time employees also got bumped up to $21, but some workers said that fell short of their expectations.

I guess yellow freight going out of business cause of the teamsters didn't concern em

1 hour ago, Texas Joker said:

I guess yellow freight going out of business cause of the teamsters didn't concern em

i had not considered that but this could be the problem , every time things get to a strike , something has to give , breaking the source of your income to get a raise never made sense to me ,