SASS Wire Forum

Trail Boss Update — 2024 Shot Show

Cholla

I spoke with a Hodgdon rep at the Shot Show today about Trail Boss. He felt it would start shipping again this spring. I expect it will take a long period before the market is saturated and it’s common on the shelf. 
he said the reason it’s not currently being made is the contractor that makes it also makes Retumbo and other powders that are a higher profit product. The rep said Trail Boss was a low-profit product because of the extra steps required to make it. He said the contractor was going to make high-profit powders first, then go to the low-profit powders. 
I suspect the world shutting down for COVID is a hard hurtle to get over when no money is being made. So, making higher profit powder to recover makes sense. I am seeing Retumbo and other popular target shooter and hunting powders back on the shelf more and more so that falls in line with what he told me. 
I expect every bit of Trail Boss to be gobbled up as fast as it hits the shelf until every subsonic shooter feels secure in their stash.

On the bright side, I bought a brick of Federal LPP at CAL Ranch last week for $59.99. They had more but I left them for the next guy. 

Edited by Cholla
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the info. But honestly, that souns sounds like just their official marketing blabla story. Arguing with economic points while the market is willing to pay unreasonable prices for this powder doesn't make sense to me. During a time period when primer manufacturers more than doubled their prize tags, what had they could have charged for a unique special application powder that no other competitors has in their portfolio? IMHO, they just weren't technically able to produce it (keyword: REACH compliance). Maybe I'm wrong, but don't ever trust a marketing guy without double-checking. But for whatever reason it disappeared from the shelves, I hope for everyone who waits for TB that it will be back on soon!!

Equanimous Phil

• Like 1

Although I like TB, and have enough for maybe two more shooting years, I've already started switching over to Unique on some of my cowboy loads. When I start seeing TB back on the shelves then I'll believe it's being produced again. Until then what they are saying is just smoke blowing to me.

• Like 3

I haven't seen any shortage of powder over the last couple of years.  Not at All.  Of course, I shoot APP and have never run short.  Try It - Yule like it!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Thanks for the info. But honestly, that souns sounds like just their official marketing blabla story. Arguing with economic points while the market is willing to pay unreasonable prices for this powder doesn't make sense to me. During a time period when primer manufacturers more than doubled their prize tags, what had they could have charged for a unique special application powder that no other competitors has in their portfolio? IMHO, they just weren't technically able to produce it (keyword: REACH compliance). Maybe I'm wrong, but don't ever trust a marketing guy without double-checking. But for whatever reason it disappeared from the shelves, I hope for everyone who waits for TB that it will be back on soon!!

Equanimous Phil

The rep told me that Trail Boss was not impacted by REACH. He said some powders were but a replacement for the impacted compound has been developed. He also said they are focused on the hungry US markets now but when demand slows they will start shipping to the EU.

11 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Arguing with economic points while the market is willing to pay unreasonable prices for this powder doesn't make sense to me.

The retail market may be willing to pay unreasonable prices, but Hodgdon isn't selling to the retail market.

9 hours ago, Savvy Jack said:

The answer to everything use to be "in two weeks", now it is "this spring"!!!

They just don't tell you which "this spring" they are referring to.

I've been waiting 3 springs for a set of Dillion 44 mag. carbide dies.

Marshal Stone

1 hour ago, Marshal Stone, SASS #53366 said:

They just don't tell you which "this spring" they are referring to.

I've been waiting 3 springs for a set of Dillion 44 mag. carbide dies.

Marshal Stone

I waited 15 "seasons" for 44-40 Winchester brass and JSP bullets, finally gave up years ago. To this day I have NEVER seen any factory 44-40 Winchester or Remington ammunition or components in any store I have ever been in.....LOL

I have about 1 1/2 bottles of TB.  I only use it in a couple of loads, and they are low volume loads, but I was still trying to "save" it, since I didn't think it would be coming back.  Knowing that it will, I will go ahead and use what I have and it will still probably last me a few years.  I wonder if the people who paid a king's ransom for TB from the scalpers will be regretting it?

Savvy Jack, I found Winchester 44-40 brass at a Cabelas, I think it was.  BUT, that was probably 15 years ago! 

TB was developed primarily for CAS. It came out around 2005 when we had 60-70k shooters. The demand has diminished along with our membership. Probably, less than 5-6% of CAS shooters were using TB. Maybe a thousand shooters buying a couple pounds annually isn't exactly profitable. I don't know of any others that use TB.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cholla said:

I spoke with a Hodgdon rep at the Shot Show today about Trail Boss. He felt it would start shipping again this spring. I expect it will take a long period before the market is saturated and it’s common on the shelf. 
he said the reason it’s not currently being made is the contractor that makes it also makes Retumbo and other powders that are a higher profit product. The rep said Trail Boss was a low-profit product because of the extra steps required to make it. He said the contractor was going to make high-profit powders first, then go to the low-profit powders. 
I suspect the world shutting down for COVID is a hard hurtle to get over when no money is being made. So, making higher profit powder to recover makes sense. I am seeing Retumbo and other popular target shooter and hunting powders back on the shelf more and more so that falls in line with what he told me. 
I expect every bit of Trail Boss to be gobbled up as fast as it hits the shelf until every subsonic shooter feels secure in their stash.

On the bright side, I bought a brick of Federal LPP at CAL Ranch last week for $59.99. They had more but I left them for the next guy. 

Cholla is this Australian made Trail Boss?

"....I suspect the world shutting down for COVID is a hard hurtle to get over when no money is being made. ...."

i see that motivation , i dont blame them if that was a truthful explanation , id like to know why trailboss has more steps and is more costly than any other powder , im not a chemist so i wont even pretend to understand these processes but i would like someone to explain them , 

i think one of the big questions of our time is what will be done with those that caused the covid issue 

• Like 2

It isn't SASS shooters that are using large amounts of Trail Boss now it is the guys shooting suppressed 30 cal that are paying a couple hundred dollars a bottle for it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Cholla is this Australian made Trail Boss?

Yes. He said it was made in Australia as are a few other popular powders. He mentioned Retumbo and a few others that I forgot.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Yes. He said it was made in Australia as are a few other popular powders. He mentioned Retumbo and a few others that I forgot.

Well that's bloody good news, I hope this isn't scuttlebutt!!!! 

Here's a list of Aussie made powders that are marketed in the U.S under the right hand column -

Trailboss - Trailboss
AS30N - Clays
AS50N - International
AP70N - Universal
AP100 - IMR SR4756?
AR2205 - H4227

AR2207 - IMR4198
AR2219 - H322
Benchmark 2 - Benchmark
BM8208 - IMR8208XBR
AR2206H - H4895
AR2208 - Varget
AR2209 - H4350
AR2213SC - H4831
AR2217 - H1000
AR2225 - Retumbo
AR2218 - H50BMG
AR2210 - H322

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

id like to know why trailboss has more steps and is more costly than any other powder , im not a chemist so i wont even pretend to understand these processes but i would like someone to explain them ,

I listen to Hornady podcasts (a lot) and the way they explain the process of making powders, sounds very involved. Some powders are hollow inside to provide better ignition. Some powders have a flame-retardant coating to slow the ignition. Some powders need to be flattened to expose more surface for ignition. While he didn't explain the extra steps, he did say there was a great deal of more labor involved. His example was it would take selling five containers of Trail Boss to make the same profit as one container of Retumbo. If I were a business owner, making Trail Boss would be the last on my list, especially when the market is gobbling up powder as fast as it is made. I bought two pounds of Reloder 26 at $52 per pound because I need it for a new rifle I am getting, and I have been waiting years to see it. I bought a pound of Retumbo at almost the same price for the same reason. I wanted some CFE-223 and my LGS had it at $39.99 so I bought two because no one else had it in my area.

6 minutes ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Here's a list of Aussie made powders that are marketed in the U.S under the right hand column -

Trailboss - Trailboss
AS30N - Clays
AS50N - International
AP70N - Universal
AP100 - IMR SR4756?
AR2205 - H4227

AR2207 - IMR4198
AR2219 - H322
Benchmark 2 - Benchmark
BM8208 - IMR8208XBR
AR2206H - H4895
AR2208 - Varget
AR2209 - H4350
AR2213SC - H4831
AR2217 - H1000
AR2225 - Retumbo
AR2218 - H50BMG
AR2210 - H322

He wore a suit and looked like he was important, so I hope he is correct. They have security at the Shot Show, so I assume he wasn't a well-dressed homeless bum looking for free food! Jack-Link was one of the booths with free jerky, so you never know! He did mention Varget as well, so fingers crossed.

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2024 at 9:13 PM, Cholla said:

Was anything said about Clays or Universal?

2 minutes ago, Red Oak said:

Not that I remember. He mentioned a few by name and I was waiting to hear those I have been waiting for. I have Clays so it didn't click in my brain if he said it.

Edited by Cholla

14 minutes ago, Red Oak said:

ADI (Australian Defence Industries) have dropped (AS30N) - Clays and (AP70N) - Universal and have replaced them with the below......but unfortunately since they have they have been virtually none existent to purchase -

https://www.ssaa.org.au/?ss_news=new-pistol-and-shotgun-powders-from-adi

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Cholla said:

I listen to Hornady podcasts (a lot) and the way they explain the process of making powders, sounds very involved. Some powders are hollow inside to provide better ignition. Some powders have a flame-retardant coating to slow the ignition. Some powders need to be flattened to expose more surface for ignition. While he didn't explain the extra steps, he did say there was a great deal of more labor involved. His example was it would take selling five containers of Trail Boss to make the same profit as one container of Retumbo. If I were a business owner, making Trail Boss would be the last on my list, especially when the market is gobbling up powder as fast as it is made. I bought two pounds of Reloder 26 at $52 per pound because I need it for a new rifle I am getting, and I have been waiting years to see it. I bought a pound of Retumbo at almost the same price for the same reason. I wanted some CFE-223 and my LGS had it at $39.99 so I bought two because no one else had it in my area.

thank you , that at least provides a little insight to what i didnt know 

14 hours ago, High Spade Mikey Wilson said:

Although I like TB, and have enough for maybe two more shooting years, I've already started switching over to Unique on some of my cowboy loads. When I start seeing TB back on the shelves then I'll believe it's being produced again. Until then what they are saying is just smoke blowing to me.

I think Unique's gotten about as scarce as Trail Boss....   :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think Unique's gotten about as scarce as Trail Boss....

It just recently showed back up on shelves here in New England. A fantastic all around powder that can be used in just about everything from 38sp to 38-40 to 44-40 to 45ACP  to 38-55 to 45-70.....a great Cowboy powder

14 hours ago, Savvy Jack said:

I waited 15 "seasons" for 44-40 Winchester brass and JSP bullets, finally gave up years ago. To this day I have NEVER seen any factory 44-40 Winchester or Remington ammunition or components in any store I have ever been in.....LOL

I just recently had a local gun shop get in some factory Winchester 44-40.  First he was able to get in years!  But he said to hold onto my hat $125. 

received_895174795650937.thumb.jpeg.643ea58451820c280c9327c86feaa8c2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Which one and where? 

Heritage Arms in RI hasd a shelf full two weeks ago. They said they will be getting it regularly now.

Last week I was at Cabelas in Hamburg PA and I couldn't believe the reloading supplies! Federal small and large pistol primers stacked up on the shelf for grabbing! Huge powder inventory. 

Edited by Rancho Roy

11 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Trailboss - Trailboss
AS30N - Clays
AS50N - International
AP70N - Universal
AP100 - IMR SR4756?
AR2205 - H4227

AR2207 - IMR4198
AR2219 - H322
Benchmark 2 - Benchmark
BM8208 - IMR8208XBR
AR2206H - H4895
AR2208 - Varget
AR2209 - H4350
AR2213SC - H4831
AR2217 - H1000
AR2225 - Retumbo
AR2218 - H50BMG
AR2210 - H322

Two different powders make H322? :huh:

7 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I just bought 2 pounds of Unique a couple months ago from Nachez, along with some WSF, on a promotion of purchase of $100 and no hazmat fee.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

This is what I'm seeing too.